Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 02:44:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG@BC Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (GB&U)  (Read 7031 times)
TecnoGenius

« on: June 16, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »

GOOD
  • Total team effort; no real massive standouts except Harris; everyone contributed; contrast with BC
  • Harris making guys miss L,R&C, and he turns a ton of 1-2 yd plays into 9-10 yds (told you BC run D is bad).  Amazing
  • Every phase good except ST coverage; shout out to SY which was flawless
  • WPG OL effective, rarely screwed up, made big Harris holes; new guys did great
  • Nichols timing looks good; a couple of his "adrenalin overthrows", but he dialed it back by his 2nd bomb to Adams in stride (comments 66?); arm looks stronger; way more mobile, making great throws while scrambling
  • Wilson catching Burnham from way behind; great hustle, great attitude (1Q6:07)
  • Hall bend don't break fairly effective; and his show-bring-drop trickery is fun to watch and must drive QBs nuts
  • Adams best game in a long time.  Woli had himself a night
  • Nevis + Richardson making their presence known, tackling slippery MR on key plays
  • Hecht proves the doubters wrong... can he keep it up?  Loffler who?
  • heads up by Alexander on the PAT to lateral it as he's getting tackled so we get the 2 pts; great block Sayles
  • Jefferson's first big play, is superhuman with that massive reach to grab White's shoulder for a TFL (3Q4:44); otherwise Jefferson & Bighill very quiet today
  • Hecht's chicken to DC, hehehe; Yup, lucky he didn't get 10YP
  • Woli rec to get us 1&G at the 1 (4Q12:03), wise beyond his years; he makes the catch at the 6, turns and sees a Lion right in his path who waits to see what Woli does; Woli does the last thing he expects and just plows right up the field straight over him, almost for a TD; no E/W nonsense for Woli!
  • Pressure really screwing up Reilly's pass at least 5 times
  • that new CGI animation of all 9 teams they showed at the half: WPG got the coolest one with the blue biplane
  • The Tecno Pegged it...
    Never count out Harris, like Buono did.  Grin Grin
    [...]
    And Rutley/White?  That's all?  It's going to be 95% pass.  Easy to defend.
    [...]
    Their O is decent, but our D is the best in the league and we'll keep them well in check.  It may be high scoring, but we'll score more.  34 WPG, BC 17.

BAD
  • BC OL ok when in max-pro, not so good with just 5; BC O looks like '18 HAM O, max-pro a metric ton; and Reilly not running much?   Not running at all?  Huh?
  • 1Q6:44 draped coverage was not DPI; CGY does that tight coverage every play; even Forde is knows it's bogus
  • Lawler unable to climb the ladder for a TD in triple-coverage (3Q5:36).  Matthews makes that catch; that's why we brought in CM.  Lawler isn't Matthews.  That was perfectly catchable by a CM or Rogers, it's high on puprose because of the triple coverage
  • Lucky has a rough 1st game, needs to calm down?  His drop in 4Q was on a superbly run route
  • Burnham human afterall

UGLY
  • Penalties all going against us, not MOS-like; kept BC alive in 1Q and inconvenient in other Qs.  Must clean that up
  • TSN weak on replays for WPG penalties; many had no replays or other angles
  • Horrific ST work on that KO return; gunners crossing lanes! 3-4 guys bunched up in the same position even before they all fell down; is ST going to be a weakness like in '18?  We can't give up all that field position again this year
  • DCarters's TD was dirty: he's holding Rose by the jersey (not a "straight arm") and the holding is keeping Rose from going back towards the line to intercept that ball; Rose is looking for the penalty to be called, but crickets from refs
  • Demski's obligatory fumble.  Put it in the other arm Demski!  Otherwise Demski was fine
  • Exact same tight coverage on AH as we got DPI on earlier; but no DPI for BC; seems fair to me  Roll Eyes (2Q1:08)
  • Rod Black mistakes Thick Nick for Claybrooks and tries to recover, funny
  • Woli's shoelace slider is incomplete, but BC's similar catch is complete and requires a challenge?  Come on (3Q13:57)
  • Claybrooks losing his cool after the TMM penalty; we're getting in his head by that point and he's not staying composed.  Contrast with MOS (3Q6:14)
  • Wilson concussion?  Arm seems fine.  That sucks, who will be WIL now?  Of course the injury bug hits our least-deep, already-iffy position; Briggs seems to have done ok as replacement
  • 4Q9:06 Reilly free-play throw, all 3 deep BC recs have double coverage, pretty funny to watch 3 rec's and 6 DBs all in the same shot
  • 4Q8:39 both teams with TMM?  First time ever?  I counted WPGs a few times and I only ever get 12, where's the supposed 13th?  Caught leaving the field?  Poor Nelson, every good return gets called back
  • Woli hurt, big problem... broken finger?

W Football is back.  GO BLUE!

Never go full Rider!
Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »

There were MANY "goods" last night, but the most significant to me were:

-Our front 7.  Allowing only 4 yards rushing total.  Unbelievable.

-Andrew Harris.  174 total yards on offense. 

-Using Streveler at the right times, to get those tough yards. 

-Alexander Brandon.  Looked good on defense and special teams.

-Medlock averaging 47.5 yards per punt.

I am not even gonna comment on the Bad or Ugly.  Just enjoy the positives of this first win and become more critical down the road.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

Much more good than bad last night. A few mistakes and some silly penalties but it's week 1. I can't believe the amount of complaining in the GDT after a win.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »

I think Woli just banged his elbow and his arm was numb...he was slapping his hand on his leg on the sidelines so I doubt anything is broken.  Week 2 bye may help Wilson out and allow him to play against Edmonton
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »

Concerned about Wilson... he was doiong great up until he got knocked out... hopefully ts just a minor issue and the bye is enough time to recvover fully.

I happily take the 15 yard penalty for the option of humiliating DC.  Hecht is going to be a loit of fun this year, he was playing with the exhudberance a rookie out there.  And being effective.

Fenner had some adventures, but the PAT return helped a lot...

Good on Nichols and O'Shea in letting Streveler finish out the game.  Smart move after Willis' suplex on Nichols... but not a move I would have expected last year,

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »

The Good:
  • Harris in mid season form. Absolutely gutted the BC D.
  • 2017 Nichols showed up and hit his deep balls. Still only managed 184 passing yards.
  • The young OL played a heck of game.
  • Our front 7 shut down the Lions rushing game, making them 1 dimensional.
  • Hecht showed why he won the starting safety spot. Maybe he's not this years 'Hurl award' winner after all.
  • Coaching constancy really showed. We were the better prepared team with many less busts.
  • We scored TD's while forcing them to settle for FG's.
  • The blocked PA returned for 2. Really made a difference at the end of the game cuz they had to go for 2 scores instead of 1.
  • Wilson running Burham down to save a TD.
The Bad:
  • Demski's fumble. Lucky it went out of bounds.
  • Wilson getting knocked out. At least he has an extra week to get back.
  • Hecht taunting Carter. Should have been a penalty which would have given them a first down.
  • Special teams coverage. It would have been even worse if the Lions didn't take so many penalties.
  • Too many penalties even tho the refs let a bunch of them go.
  • Rod Black. The less said about it the better.
The Ugly:
  • Their 108 yard kick return for a TD kept them in the game.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
kkc60

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »

The Good
-Harris, Adam's, Demski, Sayles, Hecht, Richardson
-Our OL looked pretty clean
-Exume (#41) was a STs beast
-Nelson had some nice returns.

The Bad
-That last BC drive had a few wide open drops. Lucky a couple of those weren't caught
-It seemed time after time BC got away with holding
-For all the talk of how important our STs and our "foot soldiers" are, really didn't see much of that on KO's

The Ugly
-Chandler Fenner at CB. The guy got beat up on

Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »

Huge props to our front 7 for holding the BC run game to 4 yards on 4 total carries. 
3rdand1.5

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »

_Ugly listening to Black talk about that dam.n burger every second sentence.
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »

_Ugly listening to Black talk about that dam.n burger every second sentence.
Or saying "and he's going to go for a first down" when the player us 5 yards away and behind the LOS

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »

Concerned about Wilson... he was doiong great up until he got knocked out... hopefully ts just a minor issue and the bye is enough time to recvover fully.

I happily take the 15 yard penalty for the option of humiliating DC.  Hecht is going to be a loit of fun this year, he was playing with the exhudberance a rookie out there.  And being effective.

Fenner had some adventures, but the PAT return helped a lot...

Good on Nichols and O'Shea in letting Streveler finish out the game.  Smart move after Willis' suplex on Nichols... but not a move I would have expected last year,

I'm not sure that Nichols had much say in this decision, nevertheless I agree that it was a good decision. Duane Force commented earlier in the game that Streveler in for a regular play means that the defence has to really question whether a run is coming from Harris or Streveler. It's a great look to give a team when we're trying to close out a game.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »

Or saying "and he's going to go for a first down" when the player us 5 yards away and behind the LOS

Or saying the Bombers are third and goal, when in fact they were first and goal.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
bigbuff33

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 02:45:00 PM »

Harris...what more can we say...just outstanding.
So impressed with O-Line...
Adams really brought his A game.
Front seven awesome, while back end needs some work.
Medlock has turned into a solid punter.
Have to give props to O'Shea...looked calm, prepared and out coached Claiborne.
Nichols showed a different confidence...impressed.
Way to go boys, good start to the season.
Sammy225

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »

I think the big thing is here is  that has not been mentioned is the 3-0 on turnovers. If this offence protects the ball they are going to be dangerous.

The D line did not get a whole lot of pressure on Riley but the fact they only have up 4 yards rushing is great 
theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »

Kudos to Hall and the adjustments at Halftime... shutting down Reilly in the second half was awesome.   This was the first game for Reilly under Jackson, so its not like we had film on what they were going to do... until the second half.  After the PAT return... 4 completions...

Have to think Burnham was hearing footsteps with those uncharacteristic drops in the last drive...

Special shout out to Fordie, and his reaction to "Nothing rhymes with Orange", and his deadpan "Door Hinge".  Blackie just did not get it..  and when Forde repeated "Door Hinge, you can make it work...", I just about died...  how he manages to put up with Rod "How do I still have a job" Black, I will never know.  Its like working with Bob Uecker without the humouir or insight...   I guess TSN see's it as a balancing out...  love having Forde on the coverage more than I hate Black... so if we have to put up with one to get the other, so be it.  And congrats on crushing that burger...

Can't believe Sports Centre didn't show the PAT return, but showed the DC / Hecht chicken dance....  

For all the Fenner criticism, he was the one that deflected the ball to Hecht as well... and led the team in Tackles with 6...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »

The Good:

I just finished watching the replay on PVR.

Wilson's shoulder looked ok. Perhaps a stinger and might have been knocked out. He should be ok to play for our home opener if there is no concussion issue.

Woli appeared to have had his funny bone hit on his elbow. Seemed to be moving the arm around quite well on the sideline. So it appears he'll be ok as well.

Bomber TOP was 35:06. That's how you win. Kudos.

The Bad ( maybe ):

Didn't get a lot of production from Lawler or Whitehead. Combined for 3 receptions and 22 yards. Both showed very good speed which may have drawn coverage away from LOS and defending against Harris.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:22:53 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Ducky

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

Only 1 game but Gray and Speller played big and mean clearing space for Harris et al.   Grin
66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »

GOOD
  • Total team effort; no real massive standouts except Harris; everyone contributed; contrast with BC
  • Harris making guys miss L,R&C, and he turns a ton of 1-2 yd plays into 9-10 yds (told you BC run D is bad).  Amazing
  • Every phase good except ST coverage; shout out to SY which was flawless
  • WPG OL effective, rarely screwed up, made big Harris holes; new guys did great
  • Nichols timing looks good; a couple of his "adrenalin overthrows", but he dialed it back by his 2nd bomb to Adams in stride (comments 66?); arm looks stronger; way more mobile, making great throws while scrambling
  • Wilson catching Burnham from way behind; great hustle, great attitude (1Q6:07)
  • Hall bend don't break fairly effective; and his show-bring-drop trickery is fun to watch and must drive QBs nuts
  • Adams best game in a long time.  Woli had himself a night
  • Nevis + Richardson making their presence known, tackling slippery MR on key plays
  • Hecht proves the doubters wrong... can he keep it up?  Loffler who?
  • heads up by Alexander on the PAT to lateral it as he's getting tackled so we get the 2 pts; great block Sayles
  • Jefferson's first big play, is superhuman with that massive reach to grab White's shoulder for a TFL (3Q4:44); otherwise Jefferson & Bighill very quiet today
  • Hecht's chicken to DC, hehehe; Yup, lucky he didn't get 10YP
  • Woli rec to get us 1&G at the 1 (4Q12:03), wise beyond his years; he makes the catch at the 6, turns and sees a Lion right in his path who waits to see what Woli does; Woli does the last thing he expects and just plows right up the field straight over him, almost for a TD; no E/W nonsense for Woli!
  • Pressure really screwing up Reilly's pass at least 5 times
  • that new CGI animation of all 9 teams they showed at the half: WPG got the coolest one with the blue biplane
  • The Tecno Pegged it...

BAD
  • BC OL ok when in max-pro, not so good with just 5; BC O looks like '18 HAM O, max-pro a metric ton; and Reilly not running much?   Not running at all?  Huh?
  • 1Q6:44 draped coverage was not DPI; CGY does that tight coverage every play; even Forde is knows it's bogus
  • Lawler unable to climb the ladder for a TD in triple-coverage (3Q5:36).  Matthews makes that catch; that's why we brought in CM.  Lawler isn't Matthews.  That was perfectly catchable by a CM or Rogers, it's high on puprose because of the triple coverage
  • Lucky has a rough 1st game, needs to calm down?  His drop in 4Q was on a superbly run route
  • Burnham human afterall

UGLY
  • Penalties all going against us, not MOS-like; kept BC alive in 1Q and inconvenient in other Qs.  Must clean that up
  • TSN weak on replays for WPG penalties; many had no replays or other angles
  • Horrific ST work on that KO return; gunners crossing lanes! 3-4 guys bunched up in the same position even before they all fell down; is ST going to be a weakness like in '18?  We can't give up all that field position again this year
  • DCarters's TD was dirty: he's holding Rose by the jersey (not a "straight arm") and the holding is keeping Rose from going back towards the line to intercept that ball; Rose is looking for the penalty to be called, but crickets from refs
  • Demski's obligatory fumble.  Put it in the other arm Demski!  Otherwise Demski was fine
  • Exact same tight coverage on AH as we got DPI on earlier; but no DPI for BC; seems fair to me  Roll Eyes (2Q1:08)
  • Rod Black mistakes Thick Nick for Claybrooks and tries to recover, funny
  • Woli's shoelace slider is incomplete, but BC's similar catch is complete and requires a challenge?  Come on (3Q13:57)
  • Claybrooks losing his cool after the TMM penalty; we're getting in his head by that point and he's not staying composed.  Contrast with MOS (3Q6:14)
  • Wilson concussion?  Arm seems fine.  That sucks, who will be WIL now?  Of course the injury bug hits our least-deep, already-iffy position; Briggs seems to have done ok as replacement
  • 4Q9:06 Reilly free-play throw, all 3 deep BC recs have double coverage, pretty funny to watch 3 rec's and 6 DBs all in the same shot
  • 4Q8:39 both teams with TMM?  First time ever?  I counted WPGs a few times and I only ever get 12, where's the supposed 13th?  Caught leaving the field?  Poor Nelson, every good return gets called back
  • Woli hurt, big problem... broken finger?

W Football is back.  GO BLUE!

even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while... lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »

3 TD's, no int's. Won game. No problem

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »

I'm still a Nichols critic (really lost me last year) but he was a different player yesterday. I hope.that stays
TBURGESS

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »

I'm still a Nichols critic (really lost me last year) but he was a different player yesterday. I hope.that stays
Was he really tho?

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

3 TD's, no int's. Won game. No problem

A solid performance for the first game of the regular season. That's all that should matter.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »

He has his flaws but not every QB is BLM, Reilly or Harris. Yes he's a game manager but that's where Reilly fails. Reilly relies on big play receivers making big plays more often than not. He doesn't have that receiver talent in Vancouver.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »

Was he really tho?

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

Why would he try to throw more when Harris was running wild for 148 yards with a 9+ yard per carry? Lapo was play calling not Nichols.

Busted coverage by the Lions? Sure. How do you think Reilly managed to move the ball 90 yards in 2 plays from his 2 yard line? Busted coverage and poor tackling. QB's are supposed to find the busted coverage.

He still had a better completion % than Reilly. And he did it with 3 changes on the OL and 2 new receivers
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:34:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
SSC

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »

The bad - The attendance was announced at 18,000. I was at the game and I'd say that was a stretch. With a market of about two million people and a new, high paid gun slinger in town, it's disappointing. It seems in this part of the world that if it isn't wearing a Canucks jersey it doesn't count.
I would like to see the league investigate other markets for the Lions such as Kelowna because it appears to be over in Vancouver.

The ugly - With K.Wilson down on the field with an obvious painful injury, the Lions org. thought it would be a good time to trot their cheerleaders on the field to do a routine to Queen's "We will Rock You".

The good - Thanking all the Lion's fans around me for such a wonderful evening Cheesy
Sammy225

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »

Was he really tho?

Is that not what good qbs are supposed to do. This team is not built to be a long ball threat. It's built to be run heavy and move chains and that's what the play calling is built around. If your expecting 300 yard passing games then you will be disappointed. Nichols is a game managing qb who does not turn the ball over and that's what we did and made the throws he needed to. This is the way we will have to play to be successful, if we try to be the Eskimos or Liond then we lose
kkc60

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

Why would he try to throw more when Harris was running wild for 148 yards? Lapo was play calling not Nichols.

Busted coverage by the Lions? Sure. How do you think Reilly managed to move the ball 90 yards in 2 plays from his 2 yard line? Busted coverage and poor tackling. QB's are supposed to find the busted coverage.

He still had a better completion % than Reilly. And he did it with 3 changes on the OL and 2 new receivers
To be fair, completion % is a tough stat. Consider drops, especially on BCs end.

Not to take away from Nichols smooth game
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »

To be fair, completion % is a tough stat. Consider drops, especially on BCs end.

Of course but Nichols did complete 63.6% which is a pretty good performance and he had a few drops as well. Some of Reilly's drops were his receivers hearing footsteps at times or passes not on the money so to speak.

Others will look at Reilly with 300+ yards passing as a " better stat " than Nichols. Both true and false. Reilly was unsuccessful at sustaining long multiple play, time consuming drives. He got his yardage in big chunks and yet some posters complain the Nichols only found success on broken coverage.

For game 1 on the road with 5 changes on offense we did very well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:54:31 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »

as long as we keep winning I'm not saying a word about Nichols' performance...  if you all are happy, I'm thrilled...  that's all I got to say about that...

BlueInCgy

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »

The Good

O line.  For Harris to get 150 yards on the ground, they had to perform at mid season level, which they did.  Well done, especially for a group with three new starters

D line.  No run game from BC, and Reilly could not get comfortable

Harris.  Again, mid season performance game 1.

Red zone offence.  TDs not FGs.

Hecht.  I loved the chicken dance, even though it could have cost us.

Nichols/Adams/Woli.  Their best game in a long time.

Best team performance by any team week 1.

Duane Forde.  He actually made listening to the game enjoyable.

The Bad

Defense played far too far off the receivers for the first three quarters and it nearly cost us.  Fortunately Reilly?s 50/50 balls weren?t working with a new receiving corps.

Penalties, but that?s too be expected in the first game.

Dropped balls, but again to be expected first game.

Nichols seemed to be keying in on his favourites, need to spread the ball around to more than three targets, but again, that will come as the lineup solidifies.

The Ugly

ST coverage on the Rutley return.

Rod Black.  Seriously, is there no other option.  Now that he can?t pine for Johnny, he has to talk about concession food for 1/4 of the game?  Nevermind the obvious flubs like Third and goal from the 1, when the previous play was not an ?and goal? situation.  At least he didn?t disrespect Claybrooks at the end of the game saying ?he?s still looking for his first win? (which he did to Khari on Friday), but I guess if he doesn?t know the difference between Claybrooks and Lewis....
bunker

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 06:09:32 PM »

Was he really tho?

If I recall correctly, one or two of those "busted coverages" were actually Nichols extending the play with his legs, giving his receivers more time to get open.
And when your running back is averaging more than 9 yards a carry, you are going to pass less, and have less passing yards.
We also are without arguably our best receiver.
The jury is still out, but I thought Nichols gave us reason for optimism.
TBURGESS

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 06:11:05 PM »

Why would he try to throw more when Harris was running wild for 148 yards with a 9+ yard per carry? Lapo was play calling not Nichols.

I didn't say he should try to throw more. I said his stat line looks familiar. That's not a knock on Nichols.

Our busted coverage cost us a big play, but no TD's. Wouldn't make Reilly any better or worse if Wilson hadn't managed to track Burnham down before the end zone but it would have given him better stats and give the Lions 4 more points.

Of course Nichols had a better completion %. He was throwing more short passes.

Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »

as long as we keep winning I'm not saying a word about Nichols' performance...  if you all are happy, I'm thrilled...  that's all I got to say about that...

You just inferred more negativity about Nichols. Add in the " blind squirrel" comment and you're two for the day.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:48:40 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »

The DC "drop" wasn't even a drop... Reilly threw it where DC was going to get lit up, so he dropped off the ball.  Which was awesome to see, especially with Hecht razzing him after... I know, he should have got a 15 yarder, but it was worth it.  That clip is going to be awesome for a long time...  even better if you watch Hecht coming off the field and adding in the gun show...

theaardvark

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2019, 06:52:50 PM »

If I recall correctly, one or two of those "busted coverages" were actually Nichols extending the play with his legs, giving his receivers more time to get open.
And when your running back is averaging more than 9 yards a carry, you are going to pass less, and have less passing yards.
We also are without arguably our best receiver.
The jury is still out, but I thought Nichols gave us reason for optimism.

Arguably?  Matthews better be our best receiver, he's paid like it...

Plus, our Oline was facing live snaps for the first time in this configuration...

Nichols isn't going to make anyone forget about BLM or Reilly... but he gets the job done.  And that's our team, lunch bucket guys where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts... we do have all stars, but each week, someone else pops out... Hecht and Exum? being the examples this game. 

I'm not worried about QB with Lapo calling plays.  Nichols, Streveler or even McGuire... they will get he job done.

1chad

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »

I think our OLine played well for the relative inexperience of the inner line; they will only get better and better.  Would have liked to see a few more passes caught, especially by Whitehead and Lawlor.  Good first game. On to the next one.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2019, 07:00:19 PM »

Kind of a bad throw by Reilly.  Kind of lobbed it in there in traffic.  Not a bad move by Carter letting that one go. Reilly seen the coverage. Hes got to get the ball up higher and not arcing the ball in when he saw that coverage. Should be thrown a rope.  But good move to let that one go. I
bunker

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »

Arguably?  Matthews better be our best receiver, he's paid like it...

Adams is no slouch. Until we see them in action for a full season, we really don't know.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2019, 07:04:59 PM »

...that's our team, lunch bucket guys where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts...

Eh, maybe to a point. Adams, Harris, Bryant, Hardrick, Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Bighill, and Medlock are not lunch bucket guys. Nichols, OTOH, does have that game manager label on him (with the exception of 2017) - which is fine. But without the elite talent elsewhere on the roster, this team is nowhere near as good. From a depth standpoint, however, I would agree this team does have that hardnosed, lunch bucket aspect going for it.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
theaardvark

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »

Eh, maybe to a point. Adams, Harris, Bryant, Hardrick, Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Bighill, and Medlock are not lunch bucket guys. Nichols, OTOH, does have that game manager label on him (with the exception of 2017) - which is fine. But without the elite talent elsewhere on the roster, this team is nowhere near as good. From a depth standpoint, however, I would agree this team does have that hardnosed, lunch bucket aspect going for it.

I don't think a player you mentioned is buying Caviar or Cristal any time soon.  They may be elite players, but they don't act like they deserve special treatment...  they are down to earth guys that play elite ball... and that is 8 players out of a *team* of over 50...

Watching a guy like Adams blow up a DB blocking for a team mate, and then seeing Carter fall off a catchable ball to avoid getting smoked, that's a prime example of the difference.

blue girl

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »

The Good
Andrew Harris. great way to start the season.
The OL. Harris had almost 150 yards rushing and Nichols had time to throw.
Jeff Hecht. It's only one game but the 2 INTs were a great way to start. BTW if the chicken dance should have been a penalty then we are overly sensitive as a society.

The Bad
Too many penalties. I'm sure that this is something that will be cleaned up.
Too many missed tackles by DBs. Just wrap the player up already.
The people still taking shots at Nichols. Please explain what you want to me because I'm missing something.

The Ugly
The kickoff return for a TD. Thankfully it didn't cost us the game.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »

I don't think a player you mentioned is buying Caviar or Cristal any time soon.  They may be elite players, but they don't act like they deserve special treatment...  they are down to earth guys that play elite ball... and that is 8 players out of a *team* of over 50...

Watching a guy like Adams blow up a DB blocking for a team mate, and then seeing Carter fall off a catchable ball to avoid getting smoked, that's a prime example of the difference.

Bit of a silly comment. That isn't what I meant. They are elite players; it's not a question of maybe. And regardless of how they carry themselves or what they buy, they're still amongst the elite talent of this league. Again, without them on this roster, this team would be inferior. We've seen the results of previous teams without sufficient elite talent on it. The working class or "lunch bucket" players of the league only get you so far.

Adams is an elite receiver with his head on straight and an understanding of what a team is (a team player). Carter is an elite receiver but he's got brain damage and can't put his ego aside (not a team player). Neither are lunch bucket players, though. They both possess elite skill sets.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
kkc60

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 07:50:43 PM »

The DC "drop" wasn't even a drop... Reilly threw it where DC was going to get lit up, so he dropped off the ball.  Which was awesome to see, especially with Hecht razzing him after... I know, he should have got a 15 yarder, but it was worth it.  That clip is going to be awesome for a long time...  even better if you watch Hecht coming off the field and adding in the gun show...
I'm talking about the 3 drops on the last series
dd

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 07:58:27 PM »

Typical anti nichols bs from you. When are you going to give it up!?!?

Last time I checked nichols has more wins this season than the much revered BLM and mike Reilly COMBINED!! I ll take a game manager that wins games any day. Just win baby!!
kkc60

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »

I don't understand the infatuation with "lunch pail" guys. Football is about winning. Who cares what the guy does as long as the team wins
Pigskin

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »

The Good:

AH is still the key to our O.
Woli82 and Adams. Both had nice nights.
OL played pretty good for there first start together.
Nichols had a pretty good game. A few ugly throws, but to be expected. 
Nelson was good on the returns.
Hec29 had a very good game.

Bad:

The kick return.
Front 7 needs to get better.
To many long passes.

Ugly:

The Wilson injury.
theaardvark

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »

Front 7 needs to get better?  Really?

They held BC to 4 yards rushing.  4.

They got enough pressure on Reilly that he tossed 2 int's and had a 56.4% completion rate, a full 10% off his career average... I guess you mean they need more than one sack...  yeah, you're right.. they need to get better....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

Pigskin

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »

Everybody needs to get better. It's the first game of the year. The front 7 played okay and yes they shut down the BC run game which I think most of the teams in the league will do. However, MR still had time to throw a lot of deep passes, and still passed for 350 yards. So yes, Really.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:16:48 PM by Pigskin » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 10:36:04 PM »

There will be games that Nichols plays bad - it happens to every QB...last night was not one of them

He played very well in fact and anyone who understands football will acknowledge that...first game of the year, on the road, it was a great gameplan  by Lapo and Matt executed it almost to perfection. 

No doubt there will be games he struggles - at that point many  will turn on him and call for Strevler and label Matt Nichols as an epic failure and try to say that they "knew it all along"  - it is the way she goes...
blue girl

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 11:10:25 PM »

I'll take Nichols 184 yards passing 3TDs 0 INTs and the W anyday over Reilly's 324 yards passing 1 TD 2 INTs and the L anyday. The fact is that the Bombers run a balanced attack. I can't even remember if BC ran the ball in the second half.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »

Adams is no slouch. Until we see them in action for a full season, we really don't know.

Agree, Adams is 100% proven.  Matthews is good but we don't know much yet.

Anyone that suggests that Nichols didn't look good or doesn't support him is just biased against him.  Good great, great QB. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2019, 11:48:59 PM »

There will be games that Nichols plays bad - it happens to every QB...last night was not one of them

He played very well in fact and anyone who understands football will acknowledge that...first game of the year, on the road, it was a great gameplan  by Lapo and Matt executed it almost to perfection. 

No doubt there will be games he struggles - at that point many  will turn on him and call for Strevler and label Matt Nichols as an epic failure and try to say that they "knew it all along"  - it is the way she goes...

yip
I'll take Nichols 184 yards passing 3TDs 0 INTs and the W anyday over Reilly's 324 yards passing 1 TD 2 INTs and the L anyday. The fact is that the Bombers run a balanced attack. I can't even remember if BC ran the ball in the second half.

hit a bell three times

The Good:

AH is still the key to our O.
Woli82 and Adams. Both had nice nights.
OL played pretty good for there first start together.
Nichols had a pretty good game. A few ugly throws, but to be expected. 
Nelson was good on the returns.
Hec29 had a very good game.

Bad:

The kick return.
Front 7 needs to get better.
To many long passes.

Ugly:

The Wilson injury.

yeah I wish our front 7 was way better too..... should have held them to 2 rushing yards. 

Our DL is as good as there is.  Biggie is an absolute beast.  Zero issue against BC, will be the backbone of our team all year.  They will get better as year goes on.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 02:31:06 AM »

Was he really tho?

Nichols handed the ball off to Harris 16 times, if he'd thrown the ball instead he'd probably have come close to matching Reilly's yardage and lower completion percentage.  Now tell me, why the hell would he want to do that?
66 Chevelle

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2019, 04:13:13 AM »

You just inferred more negativity about Nichols. Add in the " blind squirrel" comment and you're two for the day.

then maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't ask me what I think if they don't want to hear it... you think? 

go look for a fight someplace else...

kkc60

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 04:16:04 AM »

then maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't ask me what I think if they don't want to hear it... you think? 

I agree with this. People need to chill out on other posters player evaluations.

Chevy, feel free to give your opinions. No one has to agree with them but as long as they actually spark conversation and debate, there is nothing wrong no matter who and how others try to discourage it
TecnoGenius

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:47 AM »

Bomber TOP was 35:06. That's how you win. Kudos.

Yup, you said it.  TOP is key to why our D seemed much more effective in the 4th than BC's.  All those misses by MR weren't just accidents.  Pressure in the BF and over the top made BC's life difficult.

The Bad ( maybe ):
Didn't get a lot of production from Lawler or Whitehead. Combined for 3 receptions and 22 yards. Both showed very good speed which may have drawn coverage away from LOS and defending against Harris.

Great point.  The early miss by Whitehead may seem like a waste, but it stretched out BC D and kept them honest.  In fact, Lapo threw in a mid/deep ball at just the perfect rate to keep them honest all game.  That was probably key to Harris (as you said) and the amazing job we did on 2DC's.

Hehehe, I knew you'd like that one.  Grin

Another great point: I complained all last year that our O didn't seem to work on "scramble rules" at all, either in the planning room or practice.  The fact Nichols had 2-3 great shots while scrambling means the team addressed this point and did something about it.  Great teams like CGY always seem to find big plays on scrambles and breakdowns.  In '18 we never did.  Now all of a sudden we have at least 2 TDs on scrambles?  This is what great teams are made of.  Good work WFC coaches!!

Everybody needs to get better. It's the first game of the year. The front 7 played okay and yes they shut down the BC run game which I think most of the teams in the league will do. However, MR still had time to throw a lot of deep passes, and still passed for 350 yards. So yes, Really.

MR was harassed more than you may think.  Rewatch maybe?  Nearly every incompletion was because he felt hurried, or was outright hit.  And 2 sacks on slippery as a conger eel MR is a great accomplishment.

More importantly, we forced BC into max-pro a whole whack-ton.  Count how many times they had 6 OL, usually plus a RB blocker.  When they did we rushed 5 usually, so no surprise we didn't make it through.  It caused the same problem for us we had against HAM in '18 in the first game.  7 blockers is a tough nut to crack.  Their RB's might be poor RBs, but they were effective blockers.

Never go full Rider!
bigbuff33

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

Its called a balanced offence...I'll take that any day over being one dimensional...
Our front 7 wouldn't let them get anything going on the ground.

You can keep all the fancy stats...give me a W...a Grey Cup any day
blue_or_die

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »

Not to be Negative Nancy, but did anyone else notice Alexander's failed tackles? There were several occasions where he completely failed to wrap up, and one where he gave the guy a hug around his shoulders and it was easily broken. Each resulted in YAC. I was not impressed with that.

Obviously lots of awesome things to talk about, though. Loved this game.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »

Nope. You're instigating the fight. It's beyond an opinion. We know you don't like Nichols. You don't need to say it after every game. You're just wise cracking which adds no value.

There is no issue with you not having faith or not liking Nichols.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:00:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »

Not to be Negative Nancy, but did anyone else notice Alexander's failed tackles? There were several occasions where he completely failed to wrap up, and one where he gave the guy a hug around his shoulders and it was easily broken. Each resulted in YAC. I was not impressed with that.

Yes and there were several defenders that had those sorts of issues. I'm not worried it comes from very few game speed reps in pre season games. Alexander and Sayles will start laying the wood soon enough.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:01:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »

350 yards is only a problem when you're also giving up 100+ rushing yards. In this case they got nothing. If you only pass all game, and that's literally what they did as they had like 4 rushing attempts, then 350 passing yards is pretty bad by the Lions. I thought the D-line had great push actually. The Lions used max protect pretty frequently.
booch

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »

Nichols manages wins...to me that's all that matters...he completed more short passes than Reilly...good because he extended drives because of it which resulted in TD's as opposed to Reilly trying to force deep shots, and being unsuccessful more than successful..I'll take that any day

He showed he can throw a long ball when it's there, as well as move the pocket and extend plays to allow for receivers to come free..there's a difference between that and a busted coverage..the first big gainer was a busted coverage as both guys went with Carter, but actually almost recovered in time..

The offence put up 30+ points...if it was largely on the RB or the QB I could care less as they are all part of the offence...no?
Blue72

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »

I was very impressed with the Whitehead's attempt to catch the ball, flying in the air reminded me of the days of Joe Pop and Rick House. It seems that if the ball doesn't hit a receiver in the hands most receivers will not make an extra effort for the ball these days. Nice to see Whitehead giving his all during the game, we need more of that from players.
Blue In BC

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »

I think when Matthews gets into the lineup we'll see a difference in the passing game at many levels. As I said the speed of Lawler and Whitehead took defenders off the LOS which helped the run game.

Adding Matthews is adding CFL and NFL experience. That will also create more room for Lawler or Whitehead as rookie receivers ( whichever stays on AR ) and more opportunities.  Our Canadian receivers will benefit as well.

However, if we continue to pass for less than 200 yards but run for 150 yards and win, I'm good with that.

Passing yardage is great but the run game really dictates that high TOP.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »

The main "missed tackle" I saw of Alexander was on the Burnham catch when Sayles blew up Burnham with a hellacious hit, and actually bounced Alexander off the tackle... and Burnham was left standing to continue his run.  If either defender was alone in the tackle, Burnham is down.  The simultaneous hit left him sandwhiched and standing, with the defenders getting the brunt of the blow....

kkc60

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »

The main "missed tackle" I saw of Alexander was on the Burnham catch when Sayles blew up Burnham with a hellacious hit, and actually bounced Alexander off the tackle... and Burnham was left standing to continue his run.  If either defender was alone in the tackle, Burnham is down.  The simultaneous hit left him sandwhiched and standing, with the defenders getting the brunt of the blow....
There was also a Durant catch where it seemed Alexander was trying to yank the ball out
kkc60

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »

Nope. You're instigating the fight. It's beyond an opinion. We know you don't like Nichols. You don't need to say it after every game. You're just wise cracking which adds no value.

There is no issue with you not having faith or not liking Nichols.
To be fair, and not to start anything, if I had to pick who was trying to instigate a fight, it would be you. Just quit worrying about him  being negative or whatever, it's just his opinion
Blue In BC

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »

To be fair, and not to start anything, if I had to pick who was trying to instigate a fight, it would be you. Just quit worrying about him  being negative or whatever, it's just his opinion

There is a difference between an opinion and taking smart a** shots. I have no problem with his opinion and his desire to defend it which could be done with stats and examples which he has used in the past.

We've had reasonable discussions pro and con about his beliefs as have other posters. There is a point of crossing a line though and he has continued to do that recently. Was the " blind squirrel " comment really necessary or even remotely valid? Nichols won 9 of 14 games he played in 2018.

Keeping in mind he doesn't have to respond to me any more than I do to him or a few other posters have suggested what I have suggested.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:17:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
1chad

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »

Special teams will have to tighten up their coverage - something I am sure MOS will point out this week (or whenever they are not on the bye week) Other than some iffy tackling by the D, I was quite pleased with the first game by the BB.  Too bad we have to wait for the next!
Blue In BC

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »

For the 1st game the game plan was pretty vanilla for both teams. It takes a few games as things are opened up more. Dropped passes and missed tackles are a factor of the short pre season and so many players getting reps no longer with the team.

IIRC, Nichols only had 14 pass attempts in pre season game 2. With the bye week we should be able to get more in tune with 1st team reps on both sides of the ball. Penalties should go down as well as timing improves.

For example the PI's. We can debate whether they should have been penalties or not. That said, those are timing issues the DB's will correct.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2019, 05:50:22 PM »

Understandable letting Harris play the entire game as this was his first action of the season but in the future I'd like to see them pull him at the same time they take Nichols out and let Oliveira finish off the game.  Preserve Harris for the stretch and allow Oliveira playing time to develop, stats. be damned.
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »

Understandable letting Harris play the entire game as this was his first action of the season but in the future I'd like to see them pull him at the same time they take Nichols out and let Oliveira finish off the game.  Preserve Harris for the stretch and allow Oliveira playing time to develop, stats. be damned.

Yes and no. A 10 point lead was not insurmountable until quite late in the game. To that end we needed to make sure we had our best players on the field.

We weren't really trying to improve Harris's stats. It was just a matter of taking what the defense gave us.

I agree that when game situations allow I'd like to see Harris and Nichols off the field. Both to prevent injuries but to get the 2nd team some game reps. Considering this was game 1, game reps were needed by the starters.

When we have bigger leads against weaker teams I want to see Strev and the others getting game time.

No more excuses.
rubanski

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »

Yes and no. A 10 point lead was not insurmountable until quite late in the game. To that end we needed to make sure we had our best players on the field.

We weren't really trying to improve Harris's stats. It was just a matter of taking what the defense gave us.

I agree that when game situations allow I'd like to see Harris and Nichols off the field. Both to prevent injuries but to get the 2nd team some game reps. Considering this was game 1, game reps were needed by the starters.

When we have bigger leads against weaker teams I want to see Strev and the others getting game time.

With sub 2:00 to play and up by two scores, the game is out of reach (and don't give me the miracle comeback crap). Oliveira should definitely have been in for last drive. Even if it's two runs and a punt, that's almost 1:00 gone off the clock. #saveHarrisbody

Running the ball when ball when everyone knows you're going to (and staying in bounds - ie taking a hit - is important) is hard. Nobody has to worry about whether the kid can read a blitz and pass protect there as well.

The "bigger lead against weaker teams" just doesn't happen all that often.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:44:23 PM by rubanski » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »

In a blow out sure.

There was no point in that game where I didn't want to see the best players on the field.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »

Nice to see O'Shea coach with more confidence in his team, two years ago he wouldn't consider pulling Nichols unless there was less than 30 secs. left on the clock regardless of score.  He's come along way in the last 5 years.
Blue In BC

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »

With sub 2:00 to play and up by two scores, the game is out of reach (and don't give me the miracle comeback cracp). Oliveira should definitely have been in for last drive. Even if it's two runs and a punt, that's almost 1:00 gone off the clock. #saveHarrisbody

Running the ball when ball when everyone knows you're going to (and staying in bouns - ie taking a hit - is important) is hard. Nobody has to worry about whether the kid can read a blitz and pass protect there as well.

The "bigger lead against weaker teams" just doesn't happen all that often.

Fair enough but teams have been known to score twice in less than a minute. As a matter of fact we lost in Vancouver after that 14 - 0 halftime lead ( or was it 17 -0 ) last season.

If Harris didn't get that last 1st down that would have increased the risk although we might have then chosen to opt for a FG attempt.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2019, 06:35:34 PM »

In a blow out sure.

There was no point in that game where I didn't want to see the best players on the field.

Yeah. At no point was I content with that 10 point lead until maybe a few players before the final whistle.

Blue In BC

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »

Lions turned over the ball on downs at 1:46. We punted at 2:49 after 3 minute warning. Certainly wouldn't have wanted too may 2nd stringers in our 2nd last series. Even with 1:46 left any error could have been fatal.

Tough call but IMO O'Shea made the right call in this regard.

No more excuses.
rubanski

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »

Lions turned over the ball on downs at 1:46. We punted at 2:49 after 3 minute warning. Certainly wouldn't have wanted too may 2nd stringers in our 2nd last series. Even with 1:46 left any error could have been fatal.

Tough call but IMO O'Shea made the right call in this regard.

I agree with you, I just think the possibility of a bad injury is just as likely as the "magical & untimely turnover" followed by the insane comeback.

All of that aside, for two straight seasons we've seen Harris fade a bit as the season progresses. It's only 2 or 3 less hits this week, but I'd like to see the team chose to save Harris a little more than in the past.

With 1:46 to play, the ball in hand, and a two score lead, is about as darn sure as you're going to get. BTW the D was playing lights out in the 4th QTR as well.
blue_or_die

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »

I agree with you, I just think the possibility of a bad injury is just as likely as the "magical & untimely turnover" followed by the insane comeback.

All of that aside, for two straight seasons we've seen Harris fade a bit as the season progresses. It's only 2 or 3 less hits this week, but I'd like to see the team chose to save Harris a little more than in the past.

With 1:46 to play, the ball in hand, and a two score lead, is about as darn sure as you're going to get. BTW the D was playing lights out in the 4th QTR as well.

Your wish will come true as the season progresses, as 1) Harris will have put on the miles and 2) the team accumulates trust in Oliveira as he gets reps here and there.

There's a freshness-rust thing that goes with the first game of the season that the coaching staff wants to utilize. Get the #1s in for the whole game to experience all the aspects of it, and maximize reps, given that no miles have been put on the guys this early on.

rubanski

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »

Was he really tho?

I pretty well agree, except do you mean 2018 Nichols? Not knocking the guy, and our offence looked great Saturday. Nichols missed at least 2 deep passes that would have been huge gains to receivers that had beaten their coverage. 184 yards passing just isn't a great number. I'd like to see 225, even with our ground game cruising.

The "busted coverage" thing though... Nichols bought a few extra seconds on at least 2 of those. Every single D in the league starts to look like swiss cheese if a QB can extend a play 4 - 5 seconds with smart pocket movement.

Mistake free Nichols wasn't, Adams saved him from an endzone pick on a terrible throw. All in all a real enjoyable game for BB this week.

My GBU

Good
- Harris
- Holy Mackeral run defence!!
- Pass D getting better as the game went.
- Special Teams flipping the field with returns and net yards on punts.
- Sayles crazy block and the return. Awesome play.
- The new O-line. Great game.

Bad
- KO coverage. Nearly happened twice.
- Seemed like Fenner and Alexander we're getting beat like a rented mule in the 1st half.
- Nic "butter-fingers" Demski making a couple appearances.

UGGGGGLY
- Black calling Duane the "Great White Ford". I mean... ***...
There must be someone harder working than Rod who can do the games.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »

UGGGGGLY
- Black calling Duane the "Great White Ford". I mean... ***...
There must be someone harder working than Rod who can do the games.

I was kind of hoping that since Rod had to do all of that extra work covering the Raptors, that TSN would give him the summer off until figure skating season starts.

Literally anyone other than Rod.  At the end of the Montreal game he's like "And Khari Jones is still searching for that first win as a Head Coach."  It was his first game as a head coach, a job he's only had for a week.  Co'mon.  That's the kind of comment you make when the Als are 0-10 or something like that, which they may be, but you don't say that Game 1.

He only managed to mention Johnny Manziel once over the two games he covered.

He did however give that burger almost a half of football.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »

Yeah. At no point was I content with that 10 point lead until maybe a few players before the final whistle.

It's not like O'Shea is relying on scrubs to take over, he's handing the ball off to Streveler, the second coming.  He has to hold Chris back from running up the score!
Pigskin

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »

I saw Nic fumble the ball once. I also saw him take a very big hit and hang onto the ball. He also made a very good catch on the second ball that Nichols threw to him that was high and outside. The first ball he had no chance on. Like a lot of the players it was his first true game action of the season.
blue_or_die

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »

It's not like O'Shea is relying on scrubs to take over, he's handing the ball off to Streveler, the second coming.  He has to hold Chris back from running up the score!

lol I understand your point on Strev, although you could argue he tends to play a higher risk version of the game, at a time when we want to take no risks with the football. O'Shea likes to give his boys the whole game, for better or for worse.

I saw Nic fumble the ball once. I also saw him take a very big hit and hang onto the ball. He also made a very good catch on the second ball that Nichols threw to him that was high and outside. The first ball he had no chance on. Like a lot of the players it was his first true game action of the season.

Agreed. Nichols was throwing over and high in the first half, causing lots of near misses, including that first one to Demski where it looked like he screwed up. Demski redeemed himself on the first half jitters, nonetheless.

Blue In BC

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »

You're not wrong. A case could be easily made in supporting what you said. It's never an easy decision on deciding when is the right time or the right score.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:22 AM »

Nope. [66 is] instigating the fight. It's beyond an opinion. We know you don't like Nichols. You don't need to say it after every game. You're just wise cracking which adds no value.

To be fair, 66 was responding directly to my question to him (go look at his first post in the topic and what he bolded).  And he made it clear he was tongue-in-cheek with lol.  66 & I were just having a little fun (me being the first/best Nichols uber-fan on this forum makes it ironic).  So if anyone is to blame, it's me.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »

To be fair, 66 was responding directly to my question to him (go look at his first post in the topic and what he bolded).  And he made it clear he was tongue-in-cheek with lol.  66 & I were just having a little fun (me being the first/best Nichols uber-fan on this forum makes it ironic).  So if anyone is to blame, it's me.

I don't think adding in an lol gets him off that easy. We'll see how quickly he takes another run at Nichols. Keeping in mind it wasn't the 1st shot he's fired over the bow.

I saw what your wrote and there was truth in why you said that, which is kind of the point.

Anyway. Let's get on with the joy of a big road win in game 1.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »

Adding in a lol after the fact doesn't get anyone off the hook. Especially when you make a sexist comment.
kkc60

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

I don't think adding in an lol gets him off that easy. We'll see how quickly he takes another run at Nichols. Keeping in mind it wasn't the 1st shot he's fired over the bow.

I saw what your wrote and there was truth in why you said that, which is kind of the point.

Anyway. Let's get on with the joy of a big road win in game 1.
Here's my question: who the hell cares? It's a forum. People will say their opinion. This isn't a "Good Vibes Only" forum. If 66 makes Nichols one liners, maybe don't bother responding. Especially if there's nothing to respond to. You aren't going to change his opinion, maybe just ignore him
Blue In BC

« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »

Here's my question: who the hell cares? It's a forum. People will say their opinion. This isn't a "Good Vibes Only" forum. If 66 makes Nichols one liners, maybe don't bother responding. Especially if there's nothing to respond to. You aren't going to change his opinion, maybe just ignore him

Well I could ask you the same question about dissing Ardy in the Glenn retires string. Who the heck cares? Why didn't you ignore him?

Even though you did do that, you made a reasonable case about your opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion's. Usually they support it based on any number of stats etc etc. However there are also lines to not be crossed " classless " as you mentioned. Unreasonable bias for or against in the face of obvious " actual contradictory facts / unsupported issues " would be others.

Extreme views in either direction are not really intended as discussions. There are lots of those that many challenge every day.

I'm only responding since you essentially asked the question. I found it interesting in your response on the Glenn discussions.

Anyway. Hopefully we've come to the end of this particular discussion but it won't surprise me it it crops up again the 1st time Nichols has a less than perfect game or we lose.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 04:00:28 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »

Well I could ask you the same question about dissing Ardy in the Glenn retires string. Who the heck cares? Why didn't you ignore him?

Even though you did do that, you made a reasonable case about your opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion's. Usually they support it based on any number of stats etc etc. However there are also lines to not be crossed " classless " as you mentioned. Unreasonable bias for or against in the face of obvious " actual contradictory facts / unsupported issues " would be others.

Extreme views in either direction are not really intended as discussions. There are lots of those that many challenge every day.

I'm only responding since you essentially asked the question. I found it interesting in your response on the Glenn discussions.

Anyway. Hopefully we've come to the end of this particular discussion but it won't surprise me it it crops up again the 1st time Nichols has a less than perfect game or we lose.
Because his was a clear shot. Completely unnecessary and classless on a former Bomber in a thread where most were congratulating him vs here where no one can even figure out who started what.

Opinion is one thing. Just being a dick is another
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: