Blue Bombers Forum
September 28, 2020, 12:28:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG@BC Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (GB&U)  (Read 9323 times)
TecnoGenius

« on: June 16, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »

GOOD
  • Total team effort; no real massive standouts except Harris; everyone contributed; contrast with BC
  • Harris making guys miss L,R&C, and he turns a ton of 1-2 yd plays into 9-10 yds (told you BC run D is bad).  Amazing
  • Every phase good except ST coverage; shout out to SY which was flawless
  • WPG OL effective, rarely screwed up, made big Harris holes; new guys did great
  • Nichols timing looks good; a couple of his "adrenalin overthrows", but he dialed it back by his 2nd bomb to Adams in stride (comments 66?); arm looks stronger; way more mobile, making great throws while scrambling
  • Wilson catching Burnham from way behind; great hustle, great attitude (1Q6:07)
  • Hall bend don't break fairly effective; and his show-bring-drop trickery is fun to watch and must drive QBs nuts
  • Adams best game in a long time.  Woli had himself a night
  • Nevis + Richardson making their presence known, tackling slippery MR on key plays
  • Hecht proves the doubters wrong... can he keep it up?  Loffler who?
  • heads up by Alexander on the PAT to lateral it as he's getting tackled so we get the 2 pts; great block Sayles
  • Jefferson's first big play, is superhuman with that massive reach to grab White's shoulder for a TFL (3Q4:44); otherwise Jefferson & Bighill very quiet today
  • Hecht's chicken to DC, hehehe; Yup, lucky he didn't get 10YP
  • Woli rec to get us 1&G at the 1 (4Q12:03), wise beyond his years; he makes the catch at the 6, turns and sees a Lion right in his path who waits to see what Woli does; Woli does the last thing he expects and just plows right up the field straight over him, almost for a TD; no E/W nonsense for Woli!
  • Pressure really screwing up Reilly's pass at least 5 times
  • that new CGI animation of all 9 teams they showed at the half: WPG got the coolest one with the blue biplane
  • The Tecno Pegged it...
    Never count out Harris, like Buono did.  Grin Grin
    [...]
    And Rutley/White?  That's all?  It's going to be 95% pass.  Easy to defend.
    [...]
    Their O is decent, but our D is the best in the league and we'll keep them well in check.  It may be high scoring, but we'll score more.  34 WPG, BC 17.

BAD
  • BC OL ok when in max-pro, not so good with just 5; BC O looks like '18 HAM O, max-pro a metric ton; and Reilly not running much?   Not running at all?  Huh?
  • 1Q6:44 draped coverage was not DPI; CGY does that tight coverage every play; even Forde is knows it's bogus
  • Lawler unable to climb the ladder for a TD in triple-coverage (3Q5:36).  Matthews makes that catch; that's why we brought in CM.  Lawler isn't Matthews.  That was perfectly catchable by a CM or Rogers, it's high on puprose because of the triple coverage
  • Lucky has a rough 1st game, needs to calm down?  His drop in 4Q was on a superbly run route
  • Burnham human afterall

UGLY
  • Penalties all going against us, not MOS-like; kept BC alive in 1Q and inconvenient in other Qs.  Must clean that up
  • TSN weak on replays for WPG penalties; many had no replays or other angles
  • Horrific ST work on that KO return; gunners crossing lanes! 3-4 guys bunched up in the same position even before they all fell down; is ST going to be a weakness like in '18?  We can't give up all that field position again this year
  • DCarters's TD was dirty: he's holding Rose by the jersey (not a "straight arm") and the holding is keeping Rose from going back towards the line to intercept that ball; Rose is looking for the penalty to be called, but crickets from refs
  • Demski's obligatory fumble.  Put it in the other arm Demski!  Otherwise Demski was fine
  • Exact same tight coverage on AH as we got DPI on earlier; but no DPI for BC; seems fair to me  Roll Eyes (2Q1:08)
  • Rod Black mistakes Thick Nick for Claybrooks and tries to recover, funny
  • Woli's shoelace slider is incomplete, but BC's similar catch is complete and requires a challenge?  Come on (3Q13:57)
  • Claybrooks losing his cool after the TMM penalty; we're getting in his head by that point and he's not staying composed.  Contrast with MOS (3Q6:14)
  • Wilson concussion?  Arm seems fine.  That sucks, who will be WIL now?  Of course the injury bug hits our least-deep, already-iffy position; Briggs seems to have done ok as replacement
  • 4Q9:06 Reilly free-play throw, all 3 deep BC recs have double coverage, pretty funny to watch 3 rec's and 6 DBs all in the same shot
  • 4Q8:39 both teams with TMM?  First time ever?  I counted WPGs a few times and I only ever get 12, where's the supposed 13th?  Caught leaving the field?  Poor Nelson, every good return gets called back
  • Woli hurt, big problem... broken finger?

W Football is back.  GO BLUE!

Never go full Rider!
Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »

There were MANY "goods" last night, but the most significant to me were:

-Our front 7.  Allowing only 4 yards rushing total.  Unbelievable.

-Andrew Harris.  174 total yards on offense. 

-Using Streveler at the right times, to get those tough yards. 

-Alexander Brandon.  Looked good on defense and special teams.

-Medlock averaging 47.5 yards per punt.

I am not even gonna comment on the Bad or Ugly.  Just enjoy the positives of this first win and become more critical down the road.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

Much more good than bad last night. A few mistakes and some silly penalties but it's week 1. I can't believe the amount of complaining in the GDT after a win.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »

I think Woli just banged his elbow and his arm was numb...he was slapping his hand on his leg on the sidelines so I doubt anything is broken.  Week 2 bye may help Wilson out and allow him to play against Edmonton
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »

Concerned about Wilson... he was doiong great up until he got knocked out... hopefully ts just a minor issue and the bye is enough time to recvover fully.

I happily take the 15 yard penalty for the option of humiliating DC.  Hecht is going to be a loit of fun this year, he was playing with the exhudberance a rookie out there.  And being effective.

Fenner had some adventures, but the PAT return helped a lot...

Good on Nichols and O'Shea in letting Streveler finish out the game.  Smart move after Willis' suplex on Nichols... but not a move I would have expected last year,

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »

The Good:
  • Harris in mid season form. Absolutely gutted the BC D.
  • 2017 Nichols showed up and hit his deep balls. Still only managed 184 passing yards.
  • The young OL played a heck of game.
  • Our front 7 shut down the Lions rushing game, making them 1 dimensional.
  • Hecht showed why he won the starting safety spot. Maybe he's not this years 'Hurl award' winner after all.
  • Coaching constancy really showed. We were the better prepared team with many less busts.
  • We scored TD's while forcing them to settle for FG's.
  • The blocked PA returned for 2. Really made a difference at the end of the game cuz they had to go for 2 scores instead of 1.
  • Wilson running Burham down to save a TD.
The Bad:
  • Demski's fumble. Lucky it went out of bounds.
  • Wilson getting knocked out. At least he has an extra week to get back.
  • Hecht taunting Carter. Should have been a penalty which would have given them a first down.
  • Special teams coverage. It would have been even worse if the Lions didn't take so many penalties.
  • Too many penalties even tho the refs let a bunch of them go.
  • Rod Black. The less said about it the better.
The Ugly:
  • Their 108 yard kick return for a TD kept them in the game.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
kkc60

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »

The Good
-Harris, Adam's, Demski, Sayles, Hecht, Richardson
-Our OL looked pretty clean
-Exume (#41) was a STs beast
-Nelson had some nice returns.

The Bad
-That last BC drive had a few wide open drops. Lucky a couple of those weren't caught
-It seemed time after time BC got away with holding
-For all the talk of how important our STs and our "foot soldiers" are, really didn't see much of that on KO's

The Ugly
-Chandler Fenner at CB. The guy got beat up on

Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »

Huge props to our front 7 for holding the BC run game to 4 yards on 4 total carries. 
3rdand1.5

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »

_Ugly listening to Black talk about that dam.n burger every second sentence.
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »

_Ugly listening to Black talk about that dam.n burger every second sentence.
Or saying "and he's going to go for a first down" when the player us 5 yards away and behind the LOS

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »

Concerned about Wilson... he was doiong great up until he got knocked out... hopefully ts just a minor issue and the bye is enough time to recvover fully.

I happily take the 15 yard penalty for the option of humiliating DC.  Hecht is going to be a loit of fun this year, he was playing with the exhudberance a rookie out there.  And being effective.

Fenner had some adventures, but the PAT return helped a lot...

Good on Nichols and O'Shea in letting Streveler finish out the game.  Smart move after Willis' suplex on Nichols... but not a move I would have expected last year,

I'm not sure that Nichols had much say in this decision, nevertheless I agree that it was a good decision. Duane Force commented earlier in the game that Streveler in for a regular play means that the defence has to really question whether a run is coming from Harris or Streveler. It's a great look to give a team when we're trying to close out a game.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »

Or saying "and he's going to go for a first down" when the player us 5 yards away and behind the LOS

Or saying the Bombers are third and goal, when in fact they were first and goal.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
bigbuff33

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 02:45:00 PM »

Harris...what more can we say...just outstanding.
So impressed with O-Line...
Adams really brought his A game.
Front seven awesome, while back end needs some work.
Medlock has turned into a solid punter.
Have to give props to O'Shea...looked calm, prepared and out coached Claiborne.
Nichols showed a different confidence...impressed.
Way to go boys, good start to the season.
Sammy225

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »

I think the big thing is here is  that has not been mentioned is the 3-0 on turnovers. If this offence protects the ball they are going to be dangerous.

The D line did not get a whole lot of pressure on Riley but the fact they only have up 4 yards rushing is great 
theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »

Kudos to Hall and the adjustments at Halftime... shutting down Reilly in the second half was awesome.   This was the first game for Reilly under Jackson, so its not like we had film on what they were going to do... until the second half.  After the PAT return... 4 completions...

Have to think Burnham was hearing footsteps with those uncharacteristic drops in the last drive...

Special shout out to Fordie, and his reaction to "Nothing rhymes with Orange", and his deadpan "Door Hinge".  Blackie just did not get it..  and when Forde repeated "Door Hinge, you can make it work...", I just about died...  how he manages to put up with Rod "How do I still have a job" Black, I will never know.  Its like working with Bob Uecker without the humouir or insight...   I guess TSN see's it as a balancing out...  love having Forde on the coverage more than I hate Black... so if we have to put up with one to get the other, so be it.  And congrats on crushing that burger...

Can't believe Sports Centre didn't show the PAT return, but showed the DC / Hecht chicken dance....  

For all the Fenner criticism, he was the one that deflected the ball to Hecht as well... and led the team in Tackles with 6...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: