Blue Bombers Forum
June 18, 2019, 04:46:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenies vs tigers GDT  (Read 1588 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »

Good QBs are essential to the CFL and that hit on Collaros while in a slide deserves a one game minimum suspension.   The hit was targeted and Lawrence can say whatever and he's sorry but the replay clearly shows intent to injure a QB in a vulnerable position.   Our officiating once again appears to be bush League at best!

If intentional it's difficult to understand Lawrence's motivation.  It was the first game of the season and everybody was just trying to find their groove, the game had just begun, there was no urgency or threat that required a game changing play or any point in sending a message.  Without any motivation I can half believe it was accidental and not an intentional head-shot.

bunker

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »

If intentional it's difficult to understand Lawrence's motivation.  It was the first game of the season and everybody was just trying to find their groove, the game had just begun, there was no urgency or threat that required a game changing play or any point in sending a message.  Without any motivation I can half believe it was accidental and not an intentional head-shot.

It looked intentional to me. TSN at half time showed a clip of Lawrence trying to take out Buriss?s knee just after he returned from a knee injury. He?s a dirty player.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun.com/2015/11/03/ticats-lawrence-not-sorry-for-hit-on-redblacks-burris/wcm/d4ebd77d-8006-4dfe-85d4-fcf2c2d7831d/amp
BlueInCgy

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 03:30:00 PM »

If it wasn't intentional, than he was diving to take out Zach's knees head first.  Not sure it that's any better.
Norm W

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »

Now that I've seen the Riders play a real game, I have to say their defence still looks good and their offence still looks bad. I can't imagine that their defence is going to score as many points as last year which equals less wins.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this statement... You said it yourself, the Hamilton offence only connected on a couple of plays. Masoli didn't play as well as anticipated, he played well below his potential. Arguably Masoli's play made the Rider defence look much better than they were.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:39:10 PM by Norm W » Logged

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
GCn18

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »

Masoli struggled yesterday for sure. He had wide open looks that he missed.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »

yeah Hammie looked really flat...and I don't think it was because of a staunch Rider defense
Blue In BC

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »

A wide range of deserved anger towards Simoni. Does the CFL have the balls to announce something prior to / during the opening broadcast of tonights game?

No more excuses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »

A wide range of deserved anger towards Simoni. Does the CFL have the balls to announce something prior to / during the opening broadcast of tonights game?
our balls are bigger.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »

I guess the CFL can announce whatever they like but good chance any drastic punishment would be appealed by the CFLPA anyway.  The league already knows this, so why would they make a special announcement and draw even more attention to the event? 
dd

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2019, 09:59:23 PM »

To deter another event like this from happening.

If the league is serious about hits on defenseless players, it should suspend him, and if the CFLPA wanted to protect the long term health of its players, they?d let the suspension stand. THAT would send a message!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2019, 11:11:08 PM »

I guess the CFL can announce whatever they like but good chance any drastic punishment would be appealed by the CFLPA anyway.  The league already knows this, so why would they make a special announcement and draw even more attention to the event? 

The answers are all obvious.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2019, 11:41:41 PM »

if the league decided to make it part of the penalty, an immediate, real time infraction, as opposed to a post game punishment, could the CFLPA say or do anything?  this is what I suggested in another related thread...

"maybe the league should take a look at hits like these and offer an elevated form of punishment...  this wasn't just a late hit, or one of those 'bang-bang' plays where it's hard to determine if a player could have pulled up on the hit... this was a conscience decision, a blatant, late hit leading with his shoulder aim directly at the QB's head meant to do nothing other than hurt the player he hit...

the NCAA implemented a 'targeting' rule, where as a player intentionally hits a 'defenseless' player that result in being ejected from the game in addition to the penalty...  it's basically a one game ejection, meaning if it happens in the first half you are gone for the rest of the game. if it happens in the second half you sit for the second half of the current game and the 1st half of the next game...

The CFL should do something similar... the one game ejection on the first infraction and then elevate it from there to possibly a 3 game ejection on a second offense, etc. giving the other team 10 extra yards means nothing when you can essentially impact their entire offense for a game, or possibly the rest of the season...

if the league is serious about player safety, they've been given a perfect opportunity to make a statement..."

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2019, 12:12:06 AM »

To the point of Collaros making a stupid decision to run, that's simply not accurate.  He did everything he was supposed to do in that situation, and even gave himself up old school (feet first, even though he could have gone head first with the new rule changes and he is provided the same "protection").  He was not in the wrong, as there's no reasonable way he could have expected an outcome like the one he received.

The run wasn't stupid. It was a clean slide. He made the right play. Good on hom for not going all "dear in headlights" like a certain ex-Bomber QB.

The decision of a QB to run in that situation is a good decision and the slide was a good decision... For a normal QB.  For Collaros with a target painted on his helmet and jello for brains it was stupid.  The correct course of action for Collaros in that situation is to throw the ball away OOB.  You know how I know that was the correct course of action for Collaros?  Because if he had done that, and not run up the gut all game, he'd have played the whole game, probably won, and still be playing football next week.  For Collaros, not getting hit should be job #1.

I didn't say it was fair, or right, or whatever.  It's just reality.  Sucks for Collaros, but that's his reality.  It has nothing to do with cheap shots or whatever.  Cheap shots are going to be taken by the Simonis in the league until the end of time, unless the CFL grows a pair.

Even the booth guys said it very early on: HAM obviously was trying to set the tone, even before the Zach hit, that they were going to be physical and tough.  You can bet your bottom dollar the talk all week and in the pre-game pep was to play more physical, smash-mouth football.  Even after the Zach hit HAM D was playing way more physical than SSK.

Simoni's motivation is to take the other QB out.  That's what DL/LBs are trained to do from birth.  Getting them to unlearn this is very difficult.  I have no problem with big hits, but they have to do it fairly and by the rules.  You don't take out sliding QBs.

I didn't see the game, and my PVR was changed since last season, so no preset for taping, did Fajardo get concussed?  Is that why Harker was in? 

Fajardo got tackled a few times and his head hit the turf pretty hard once.  He seemed ok but then was out for the next series.  Fajardo is probably fine since he has no history.  Zach is screwed.

Too bad you missed the game: could be the last time we see Zach.  Could be the last time SSK gets that close to winning a game all year.

3 plays into game 1 week 1 and the CFL is already mired in controversy  Shocked
kkc60

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2019, 12:39:06 AM »

The decision of a QB to run in that situation is a good decision and the slide was a good decision... For a normal QB.  For Collaros with a target painted on his helmet and jello for brains it was stupid.  The correct course of action for Collaros in that situation is to throw the ball away OOB.  You know how I know that was the correct course of action for Collaros?  Because if he had done that, and not run up the gut all game, he'd have played the whole game, probably won, and still be playing football next week.  For Collaros, not getting hit should be job #1.
There isn't a target on his head and if there is that's dirty. Collaros did the right thing sliding.

He didn't ask to get hit. That's why he properly slid.
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2019, 03:11:25 AM »

It seems the league is meeting to discussion whether a suspension is in order. If that happens they hope to have the arbitration completed before the Ticat's next game.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: