Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:20:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenies vs tigers GDT  (Read 2243 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2019, 04:50:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure R.Ray didn't run up the gut at all in his last 1.5 years.  If he did, it was only once.  R.Ray saw the writing on the wall, Collaros should too, I guess, if he can't keep himself from running.

As for everyone else: I never said Collaros did something wrong, I said he was stupid for running.  I never blamed him for Simoni being a jerk.  I said he was stupid for running.  Ask yourself this: is Collaros sitting at home thinking "maybe I shouldn't have run?", is his wife telling him "maybe you shouldn't run dear".  I bet they are.  I bet he'll think twice about that same play if he ever gets back on the field.  If no one can see the distinction between blame and bad decision making, that's fine, I give up.

Note neither Nichols nor Reilly attempted a QB sneak last night, not sure why Sask. thought that was a good play to run with a vulnerable QB.  Smart football is preserving the QB from harm as much as possible, I'd be happy if Nichols never ventured across the line of scrimmage for the entire season.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2019, 05:26:58 AM »

Bombers are fortunate they have someone like Strevler who not only is a very productive "2nd and 1 situation" option, but who is also an option to stay in and take one or more plays following his first down production.  Not many other teams have that luxury.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
bomb squad

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2019, 05:39:45 AM »

The booth guys & panel mentioned it a couple of times, but they may have been speculating?  It's really hard to know whether it was Proulx called 25 or the EITS upgraded it.  So you both could be right, I don't think we can know either way until/unless the CFL says something about it.

If he'd actually called a 15 yd roughing penalty, you might have something. But he didn't.  
theaardvark

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »

Justin Dunk @JDunk12

#CFL suspends #Ticats LB Simoni Lawrence two games for controversial head hit on #Riders QB Zach Collaros https://3downnation.com/2019/06/17/ticats-lb-simoni-lawrence-suspended-two-games-for-hit-on-riders-qb-zach-collaros/ ? #HamOnt #Saskatchewan #YQR #Regina

So there it is, 2 games for potentially ending a players career on a non-football play... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 01:50:34 PM »

Good.  Now let's hope it sticks.
TBURGESS

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »

Justin Dunk @JDunk12

#CFL suspends #Ticats LB Simoni Lawrence two games for controversial head hit on #Riders QB Zach Collaros https://3downnation.com/2019/06/17/ticats-lb-simoni-lawrence-suspended-two-games-for-hit-on-riders-qb-zach-collaros/ ? #HamOnt #Saskatchewan #YQR #Regina

So there it is, 2 games for potentially ending a players career on a non-football play... 
That's more than I thought he'd get. Lets see what happens when the CFLPA gets involved.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »

Any word on whether he's appealing and / or whether that was also done over the weekend?

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »

That's more than I thought he'd get. Lets see what happens when the CFLPA gets involved.

If the league is smart they would have received approval from the CFLPA before the announcement to quickly put the issue to bed.
theaardvark

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »

If the league is smart they would have received approval from the CFLPA before the announcement to quickly put the issue to bed.

That's a big "if", and based on recent events, I'd say small percentage "if"...

The CFLPA is conflicted here, one of its members may have ended another (higher paid) members career.  Which one do you defend?  And how can you defend Lawrence's act when you are espousing a desire to remedy player safety issues, something Lawrence was in total defiance of.

The only reason for an appeal is to get Lawrence his paychecks back.  Money.  Which is more important, money or player safety?

I think that, if the CFLPA wants ANY credibility to its desire for improved player safety, that they should refuse to appeal or protect Lawrence in any way, and any players in the future who are fined / suspended for player safety concerns.  Sure he is a member and a brother, but he broke their rules...  have a backbone CFLPA and start acting in the players best safety interest, not money interest.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Norm W

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »

Having a backbone doesn't come into play, the right to appeal is just that, a right. The players pay the players association to represent them, they may be conflicted but they still have an obligation to represent the player when they exercise their right to appeal.  Don't take this as me suggesting the punishment doesn't fit the crime, just pointing out its not an option for the players association to say pound sand, get your own lawyer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:40:17 PM by Norm W » Logged

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »

That's a big "if", and based on recent events, I'd say small percentage "if"...

The CFLPA is conflicted here, one of its members may have ended another (higher paid) members career.  Which one do you defend?  And how can you defend Lawrence's act when you are espousing a desire to remedy player safety issues, something Lawrence was in total defiance of.

The only reason for an appeal is to get Lawrence his paychecks back.  Money.  Which is more important, money or player safety?

I think that, if the CFLPA wants ANY credibility to its desire for improved player safety, that they should refuse to appeal or protect Lawrence in any way, and any players in the future who are fined / suspended for player safety concerns.  Sure he is a member and a brother, but he broke their rules...  have a backbone CFLPA and start acting in the players best safety interest, not money interest.

It also depends on Simoni's defence as there are two sides to every story, I've heard several CFL players defend the hit as happening at game speed when unintended consequences come into play.  It's a given that D players do not respect the right of the QB to take yards in exchange for a pat on the bum and often want to send a message to discourage the practice.  I believe this is what Lawrence intended to do but miscalculated his impact badly.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »

Ambroisie's basically thrown down the gauntlet to the CFLPA in regards to an appeal, saying that all parties agree player safety is #1.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/17/simoni-lawrence-handed-two-game-suspension-hit-collaros/

Now, I don't know what the mechanism is if Simoni wants to appeal and the CFLPA doesn't wish to move forward on it.  I would guess that they can't refuse him representation as long as he is a member, so their only possible recourse, and this is a long shot, would be to tell him that they would cancel his membership in the PA if he chose to do this, which I doubt they can do and I suspect would result in a legal battle which no one wants.

I suspect they advise Simoni that he should "take one for the league" in this regard if they don't want to pursue this.
1chad

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »

Ambroisie's basically thrown down the gauntlet to the CFLPA in regards to an appeal, saying that all parties agree player safety is #1.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/17/simoni-lawrence-handed-two-game-suspension-hit-collaros/

Now, I don't know what the mechanism is if Simoni wants to appeal and the CFLPA doesn't wish to move forward on it.  I would guess that they can't refuse him representation as long as he is a member, so their only possible recourse, and this is a long shot, would be to tell him that they would cancel his membership in the PA if he chose to do this, which I doubt they can do and I suspect would result in a legal battle which no one wants.

I suspect they advise Simoni that he should "take one for the league" in this regard if they don't want to pursue this.
that is quite a significant portion of his salary to "take one for the league".  two games of 18 equals just over 11% of his salary.
theaardvark

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2019, 04:06:05 PM »

The may need to represent him, but do they have to give up their player safety stance in doing so?  

Can the "defend" him by saying "Yup, he did it, guilty, please can we have a slightly lower sentence?"  And then when the league says "No, in fact, since you appealed, he gets 4 games", they say, "We tried"...  

I get that Lawrence is a member and pays for the right to be defended by the PA.  But he may have ended a players career, a player also defended by the PA.  How can the PA fight both sides?  They have to choose to defend the player NOT breaking player safety guidelines.  

bunker

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2019, 04:45:19 PM »

I'm happy with the duration of the suspension, and hope it stays at 2 games. Its a start in terms of changing the calculus of players regarding aggression/intimidation versus player safety/loss of income.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: