Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 02:28:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican Television Deal  (Read 1829 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »

That's a thin line of mattering if a team loses a star player for games that matter in the CFL standings.

I certainly don't want the CFL to reduce CFL regular season games in order to play some global team that don't count in the standings. Leagues with different rules, roster sizes etc?

Any game in any sport is only interesting if teams are evenly matched. Would a Bomber game against the Patriots be interesting if both teams played their starters?

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »

That's a thin line of mattering if a team loses a star player for games that matter in the CFL standings.

I certainly don't want the CFL to reduce CFL regular season games in order to play some global team that don't count in the standings. Leagues with different rules, roster sizes etc?

Any game in any sport is only interesting if teams are evenly matched. Would a Bomber game against the Patriots be interesting if both teams played their starters?

No idea on the answers to most of those questions. Lots of work to be done. It's a long term play for sure. When Ambroise says CFL 2.0 and an international game, using the soccer model, I think that's where it's heading. Personally, I'm cool with that but I'm used to the model.
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »

A possible option would be to play a regular season game in Mexico City for example. I suppose even an exhibition game might draw some attention. I don't really foresee a CFL team playing against a foreign country team as a remote chance of happening.

The game would have to be purchased by Mexico in order to offset the loss of a home game for 1 team and additional travel costs.

The downside is that 1 team would have 1 less home game. Similar to a Toronto/Hamilton game played at an alternative site.

Pick a game later in the fall where Canadian weather might be less desirable to Mexico.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:24:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »

I was thinking basically the same thing, if the CFL was truly concerned about player safety they would shorten the season... but they can't, because it's about dollars...

Sir Blue is right, Ambrosie is 'all in' on this CFL 2.0... expect change...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »

No idea on the answers to most of those questions. Lots of work to be done. It's a long term play for sure. When Ambroise says CFL 2.0 and an international game, using the soccer model, I think that's where it's heading. Personally, I'm cool with that but I'm used to the model.

I really can't see how the CFL can follow the "soccer model", soccer is popular the world over and is universally established while football is really only a N.A. thing, much like NASCAR.  It would be like trying to make professional rugby or cricket popular here.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »

A possible option would be to play a regular season game in Mexico City for example. I suppose even an exhibition game might draw some attention. I don't really foresee a CFL team playing against a foreign country team as a remote chance of happening.

The game would have to be purchased by Mexico in order to offset the loss of a home game for 1 team and additional travel costs.

The downside is that 1 team would have 1 less home game. Similar to a Toronto/Hamilton game played at an alternative site.

Pick a game later in the fall where Canadian weather might be less desirable to Mexico.

I believe Ambrosie mentioned that possibility early on.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: