Blue Bombers Forum
October 20, 2020, 05:08:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers looking at Anthony Combs  (Read 5077 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »

I think we keep Coombs on the radar and the rolodex, in case of injury.  No need for a PR spot, or an AR spot at this time.  Let him work on getting 100% healthy and save practice wear and tear...  If he returns to Winnipeg as his home base, it is easy enough to stay in the loop...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »

We had 4 Canadian receivers on the game day AR all of last season. I have no problem with doing that if it continues to make sense. Whether that's adding Coombs, Schrot or any other receiver available.

The 2019 decisions were to keep many of the 2019 draft choices on the AR. Although the current roster is over limit and will change this week. Who moves where or why remains to be seen with possible injury decisions.

So signing another Canadian comes at the expense of another active player. That would seem to be among the new Canadian DB group.

Simonise wasn't valuable on ST's while 1 of the DB's might add more ST value and depth in the secondary.

While I don't see Coombs as necessary and likely a higher premium than the lower 2019 draft choices, I'm OK with whichever way they go.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »

We had 4 Canadian receivers on the game day AR all of last season. I have no problem with doing that if it continues to make sense. Whether that's adding Coombs, Schrot or any other receiver available.

The 2019 decisions were to keep many of the 2019 draft choices on the AR. Although the current roster is over limit and will change this week. Who moves where or why remains to be seen with possible injury decisions.

So signing another Canadian comes at the expense of another active player. That would seem to be among the new Canadian DB group.

Simonise wasn't valuable on ST's while 1 of the DB's might add more ST value and depth in the secondary.

While I don't see Coombs as necessary and likely a higher premium than the lower 2019 draft choices, I'm OK with whichever way they go.
Schrot could be a guy whose number we keep incase an injury happens.

As for Simonise, he did block a punt last year so he had a little STs value.

I think Exum? could be gone soonish. He has a year of eligibility I believe. I'm pretty sure Griffiths might too. He could be another guy who opens a PR spot, if I'm correct
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »

I think Exum? could be gone soonish. He has a year of eligibility I believe. I'm pretty sure Griffiths might too. He could be another guy who opens a PR spot, if I'm correct

Players with eligibility would answer some of the current excess on the roster, Usually that's decided by cut down day. So maybe they earned an actual roster spot.

I somewhat expected Schrot on the PR. Simonise being cut saved $75K reportedly and Schrot on PR still would give us an available injury replacement. Didn't happen, at least not yet. Coombs not likely to accept a PR spot.

Simonise made 4 receptions on offense as well and 1 ST tackle. So sure, he had some impact, just not worth $75K apparently.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:13:04 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 04:14:16 PM »

I think if these two players were going back to school that would have been done already, it appears they're here to stay.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »

I think if these two players were going back to school that would have been done already, it appears they're here to stay.

Griffiths is already on the PR. It's not impossible that Exume ( AR ) gets moved there as well which is more common for lower round draft picks.

Hallett ( PR?), Kongbo ( IR? ) are still in question. Once actual injuries are determined that will either open or close game 1 roster spots for a few players.

The fact all of these 2019 draft choices are still here is a good indication that they are keepers.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:27:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »

Sounds like it wasn't the 75K. Sounds like Simonise didn't want to sit on the PR. Maybe he would rather sit at home in BC on the PR.
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »

Sounds like it wasn't the 75K. Sounds like Simonise didn't want to sit on the PR. Maybe he would rather sit at home in BC on the PR.

He wouldn't get $75K on the PR. Whether he actually makes the BC game day AR we'll see. However PR in Vancouver might be a better option for him with lower costs if he lives at home.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »

instead of picking up someone like Combs and taking up a spot for someone we hope we never have to use... why not run a 2 back set or Augustine/Oliverira out of the slot in more of a hybrid position that could more on run type of plays as opposed to passing... 

surely Lapo could come up with some interesting formations and plays that could really upset the flow of a defense...  not to mention help move the needle further on getting these 2 backs some game experience in a role that wouldn't put undue pressure on them to be able to do what Harris does in the event he went down...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pigskin

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »

I think the bomber are well aware of Coombs injury history. He has probably missed more games then he has played. If Demski, Harris, got injured I could see us picking up a guy like Coombs.
Pigskin

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »

I like that Chevy.
Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »

instead of picking up someone like Combs and taking up a spot for someone we hope we never have to use... why not run a 2 back set or Augustine/Oliverira out of the slot in more of a hybrid position that could more on run type of plays as opposed to passing... 

surely Lapo could come up with some interesting formations and plays that could really upset the flow of a defense...  not to mention help move the needle further on getting these 2 backs some game experience in a role that wouldn't put undue pressure on them to be able to do what Harris does in the event he went down...

We may do that with Oliveria who's already on the AR. Augustine isn't on the AR and may need more time to develop. At the moment he might be less valuable on ST's and as a 3rd choice compared to a DB for example.

Coombs has real game experience. Cost aside, he'd be a better option in a back up capacity and probably even on ST's.

Either way for any new player added to AR someone needs to come off. Often that's decided week to week depending on injuries and who is best option to add that week. It's not always directly a specific position to position change.

IE: If Thomas is injured I'd expect Griffiths to be activated. If Janke is injured it could be anyone on the PR.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »

I think MOS put the Coombs talk to bed last night.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »

I was speaking as to what to do in the event of one of our national receivers getting injured, not necessarily a full time 4th national receiver position... not to say that this wouldn't be a good option to give Dempski or Woli a breather during a game though...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »

I was speaking as to what to do in the event of one of our national receivers getting injured, not necessarily a full time 4th national receiver position... not to say that this wouldn't be a good option to give Dempski or Woli a breather during a game though...

Roster size comes into play. We could have just as easily retained Schrot on the PR. Can't keep everybody we might want to.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: