Blue Bombers Forum
October 16, 2019, 12:40:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Harris - Oliveira  (Read 1796 times)
Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »

I don't think I've actually seen Oliveira, either video or live.  Is he more a power back as you describe, or what style is he?  What other RBs can he be compared with?

Let's hope he works out better than LaFrance, who came in with such promise and was supposed to be taken under AH33's wing.  LaFrance didn't accomplish much here except fumbling.  Is Oliveira at least a bigger/beefier back than LaFra?

And thanks Norlorne, I forgot Demski was that last Oak Parker I couldn't quite remember.  I think Demski is one of the most versatile NAT players around right now, and should have a great future, hopefully in B&G!

Oliveira is definitely a "bigger/beefier" back than LaFrance.  I think it is too early in his career to have an accurate assessment of the type of back he is going to be.  He is listed at 5 foot 10, 225-230 pounds.  He definitely carries some extra weight, and could play around 210 if he wanted to.  I think his strengths and future roles with decide what type of back he is going to be.  He has potential to be an Andrew Harris-type back, or he could end up slimming down and being a career special teams player.
blue_or_die

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »

I don't think I've actually seen Oliveira, either video or live.  Is he more a power back as you describe, or what style is he?  What other RBs can he be compared with?

Let's hope he works out better than LaFrance, who came in with such promise and was supposed to be taken under AH33's wing.  LaFrance didn't accomplish much here except fumbling.  Is Oliveira at least a bigger/beefier back than LaFra?

And thanks Norlorne, I forgot Demski was that last Oak Parker I couldn't quite remember.  I think Demski is one of the most versatile NAT players around right now, and should have a great future, hopefully in B&G!

I don't think it was ever the intent to have LaFrance come in and be the next AH or anything, although he did have the opportunity to learn from him. I saw him as a backup/in-game Canadian option to spell Harris and get some straight-line speed, etc.

I think Oliveira and LaFrance aren't in the same category- not only in terms of type of back (yes, Oliveira is more of a power-back style given his size vs a scat/speed back like LaFrance), but also in terms of the team's plan for them.
Pigskin

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

The bombers have him listed at 220, and Harris at 214.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »

I don't think it was ever the intent to have LaFrance come in and be the next AH or anything, although he did have the opportunity to learn from him. I saw him as a backup/in-game Canadian option to spell Harris and get some straight-line speed, etc.

I think Oliveira and LaFrance aren't in the same category- not only in terms of type of back (yes, Oliveira is more of a power-back style given his size vs a scat/speed back like LaFrance), but also in terms of the team's plan for them.

agreed... I believe that he was insurance to hedge against the ratio if Harris got hurt, at least for a short term fix...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 03:56:21 PM »

Oliveira running style is similar to Harris in many respects and you can see glimpses of that in the following video, he's much more of a power back and doesn't look to have breakaway speed.  I see no reason not slot him in as FB. 

This new O-line making big holes for him is as essential to his success as it will be to Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3nJjrcToI
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:27:26 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
bowlerdude

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 05:26:22 PM »

The easiest comparison for Oliveira is the guy he's backing up. He's not as polished a receiver or blocker, but he's a power back, not crazy fast, but he's hard to bring down. If he does reach his potential, he'll look like a very similar player to Harris.
Norm W

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »

The "Thick Nic" type player.... love that type of smash mouth football.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
PurpleReign

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »

Santiago was #1 back at ND.  His stats were better and he was more dynamic  than Brady.  Brady's passport is why he was drafted ahead of a few backs who were better than him. After Harris is gone I would probably put an American in that spot who would be more dynamic.  Brady is a power rusher he will run through you but he has no breakaway speed and finesse moves.  There is a reason why he never even got an NFL camp invite but Santiago did. However I am excited to see what he can do for us, but as a long term solution I am still on the fence about that. I hope he ends up being another Andrew Harris for us.  Saying he is another Charles Roberts is rather silly at this point in his career, and not fair to Brady.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:51:15 PM by PurpleReign » Logged
PurpleReign

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »

The "Thick Nic" type player.... love that type of smash mouth football.

I like it to, but you know at that position you will have a shorter career by playing that way.
Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »

The bombers have him listed at 220, and Harris at 214.

No.  The Blue Bombers official website has Harris listed at 216, and Oliveria at 227.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »

No.  The Blue Bombers official website has Harris listed at 216, and Oliveria at 227.

Plenty big for FB and I relish having two backs on the field at once, sub out Demski on first downs. 
Pigskin

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 11:45:10 PM »

I was going off of the Winnipeg/Edmonton game program.

I am not sure why Brad's passport would have anything to do with where he was drafted. Doesn't everyone in the CFL draft have the same passport?
Jesse

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 01:23:36 AM »

I was going off of the Winnipeg/Edmonton game program.

I am not sure why Brad's passport would have anything to do with where he was drafted. Doesn't everyone in the CFL draft have the same passport?

He either does not get that concept or meant that Oliveira made the roster over Santiago because of his passport.

My wife is amazing!
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 01:59:18 AM »

Im sure Harris had some say.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Jesse

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 02:13:21 AM »

Im sure Harris had some say.

In what?

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 [2]  All