Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2020, 02:27:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bo Levi Mitchell - 6 Game Injured List  (Read 2417 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 12:53:08 AM »

I mean, Arbuckle did better when he got in the game against the Lions defense then BoLevi was doing. 

ummm, yeah... completed every one of his passes and brought the team back to win a game when Bo wasn't getting it done...  yet obviously a performance that can't be expected from him on a regular basis... it's funny how great, or how bad, any one player can look in any given game, especially the QB position...

but 3 weeks ago everyone, myself included was talking about the lack of QB talent in general currently in the CFL... sure enough, we have these back up QBs, some of which have been written off, come in and play as good as any starter in the league... Davis, Fajardo, and tonight Adams Jr.

it's the start of the 4th quarter and the worse or 2nd to worse team in the CFL has the 2nd best team in the league down by 4, and looking for more...  who would have thought?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue newt

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 02:12:59 AM »

ummm, yeah... completed every one of his passes and brought the team back to win a game when Bo wasn't getting it done...  yet obviously a performance that can't be expected from him on a regular basis... it's funny how great, or how bad, any one player can look in any given game, especially the QB position...

but 3 weeks ago everyone, myself included was talking about the lack of QB talent in general currently in the CFL... sure enough, we have these back up QBs, some of which have been written off, come in and play as good as any starter in the league... Davis, Fajardo, and tonight Adams Jr.

it's the start of the 4th quarter and the worse or 2nd to worse team in the CFL has the 2nd best team in the league down by 4, and looking for more...  who would have thought?

I think some of the backups in the league are great quality, they just need time to develop.  So, when they get a chance and struggle a bit adjusting to suddenly being in game speed, people write them off.  But everyone starts somewhere.  I think fans get nervous when it's their team taking a leap of faith on a quarterback who has yet to show brilliance. 
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 02:35:06 AM »

I think some of the backups in the league are great quality, they just need time to develop.  So, when they get a chance and struggle a bit adjusting to suddenly being in game speed, people write them off.  But everyone starts somewhere.  I think fans get nervous when it's their team taking a leap of faith on a quarterback who has yet to show brilliance. 

A QB like Darian Durant had 4 years to develop as a backup before assuming the starting job, that level of patience is unheard of now.  Lucky if a team will keep a QB around for more than 2 years now before replacing him with another backup.
booch

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »

PEOPLE put too much stock in this "lack of film" talk about a QB...That back-upis running the same offence with the same players with the same scheme (basically) as the starter, so if a team did it's homework it shouldn't be much to adjust to.

The only real instance where the lack of playtime/film may come into play is if that back-up has a tendency to take off and run at the first sign of confusion or not seeing his reads...

You'll see or have seen with Fajardo to an extent that teams saw him as a run..run guy and would take off if first read wasn;t there, but he has shown otherwise and will stay back and take shots...you will see now that Defenses will adjust now and play coverage longer and not drop away so soon and his yardage numbers are gonna trend down...and he's gonna throw picks and start making mistakes

His long ball is brutal and a good majority of his completions down the field had receivers having to stop..cut off their routes or come back to get the lame duck pass...for most part caught teams off-guard as he was not "known" to be a passer..so a lot of times DB's were recovering trying to get back to the receiver because they were thinking run first...had they played normal coverage there would have been probably 3-4 picks already....i bet he throws 2 against the Stamps
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:53:26 PM by booch » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 12:58:08 PM »

PEOPLE put too much stock in this "lack of film" talk about a QB...That back-upis running the same offence with the same players with the same scheme (basically) as the starter, so if a team did it's homework it shouldn't be much to adjust to.

The only real instance where the lack of playtime/film may come into play is if that back-up has a tendency to take off and run at the first sign of confusion or not seeing his reads...

You'll see or have seen with Fajardo to an extent that teams saw him as a run..run guy and would take off if first read wasn;t there, but he has shown otherwise and will stay back and take shots...you will see now that Defenses will adjust now and play coverage longer and not drop away so soon and his yardage numbers are gonna trend down...and he's gonna throw picks and start making mistakes

His long ball is brutal and a good majority of his completions down the field had receivers having to stop..cut off their routes or come back to get the lame duck pass...for most part caught teams off-guard as he was not "known" to be a passer..so a lot of times DB's were recovering trying to get back to the receiver because they were thinking run first...had they played normal coverage there would have been probably 3-4 picks already....i bet he throws 2 against the Stamps

You just proved the point that once a player has played a bit more teams have the film and know how to adjust and more of what to expect.

QB's starting their 1st few games often look very good and then defenses adjust.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »

You just proved the point that once a player has played a bit more teams have the film and know how to adjust and more of what to expect.

QB's starting their 1st few games often look very good and then defenses adjust.
Yes...and no...there is basically one thing...the run part...the rest is basic stuff...but maybe I look at "film" work and tendency in a different light..and should have phrased it differently.
rubanski

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »

The lack of film thing is a huge deal. Strev vs Nichols...

Strev runs lots, he's way faster, he will run over small LBs and DBs, his favorite target is always Woli.

It's never apples to apples on a QB swap. Skill sets aren't identical, so things that work for that particular QB won't be the same.
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »

Yes...and no...there is basically one thing...the run part...the rest is basic stuff...but maybe I look at "film" work and tendency in a different light..and should have phrased it differently.

Sure but you get to see what rattles a new starter after a few games. You can determine his accuracy, arm strength at different distances. New QB's will often lean heavily on certain receivers.  Lots to be learned.

Do QB's like Arbuckle, Davis or Fajardo have some upside? Likely but how far it will take them is unknown.

Franklin and Bethel Thompson looked good for awhile and are struggling now. Of course it's not all on them with team inadequacies etc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:37:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 01:45:51 PM »

Sure but you get to see what rattles a new starter after a few games. You can determine his accuracy, arm strength at different distances. New QB's will often lean heavily on certain receivers.  Lots to be learned.

Do QB's like Arbuckle, Davis or Fajardo have some upside? Likely but how far it will take them is unknown.

Franklin and Bethel Thompson looked good for awhile and are struggling now. Of course it's not all on them with team inadequacies etc.

You can pick up tendencies, like poker tells, moves he makes involuntarily, before certain throws, handoffs, etc.  Not huge things, but those little things a smart defender picks up on, and cheats on that tiny bit that is the difference between a whiff and a blow up...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »

to me, the big thing about established starters vs. back ups is that back ups are more unpredictable and can have success because of it... they haven't had the time playing with the receivers to create that chemistry that all starters eventually have... they tend to throw to anyone in almost any situations with varying degrees of success, which is how that chemistry is created...

they also tend to throw more balls to what is considered the lower option receivers because they have more chemistry with them and the 2nd team receivers as that is who they normally are getting reps with in practice...

the fall off is when the have created their own chemistry with those select few receivers that create those tendencies that defenses will key on... that, and how will they understand the size of windows that they are actually able to hit in live game action... that seems to be one of the reasons why back ups tend to have high interception counts, they under estimate the closing speed of a professional DB or safety and make bad throws...  either they figure out or they become footnotes of team history, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 10:25:34 PM »

to me, the big thing about established starters vs. back ups is that back ups are more unpredictable and can have success because of it... they haven't had the time playing with the receivers to create that chemistry that all starters eventually have... they tend to throw to anyone in almost any situations with varying degrees of success, which is how that chemistry is created...

they also tend to throw more balls to what is considered the lower option receivers because they have more chemistry with them and the 2nd team receivers as that is who they normally are getting reps with in practice...

the fall off is when the have created their own chemistry with those select few receivers that create those tendencies that defenses will key on... that, and how will they understand the size of windows that they are actually able to hit in live game action... that seems to be one of the reasons why back ups tend to have high interception counts, they under estimate the closing speed of a professional DB or safety and make bad throws...  either they figure out or they become footnotes of team history, lol...
they fall off when the OL breaks down and he cannot do #$&@%?!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »

Grin Grin Yup, no need to reply to that 66 post!  (but I will anyway...)

Yup... The list in the last 5 years is endless (though can't recall all of these 1(or 2) hit wonders' names).  Guys lighting it up in their first couple of games (or reliefs):
Pipkin, Crompton, Bridge, even Jennings in a way, and our very own Streveler.  Look how Strev's numbers dropped off by start 3 in '18.  And soon we'll see how Fajardo, Dom, and Arbuckle are no-film-effect mediocre guys too.  (P.S. Not saying Strev might not be great one day, but it'll take a lot of work and game reps.)

Maybe it's not the same way in the NFL, but in CFL, there is definitely a "no film" advantage to relief QBs.  I've seen it over and over and over again.  And, yes, the no-film 1-hit-wonders tend to be running QBs, as in the CFL you often have a running QB as your #2, as you need him for SY.  So it just goes without saying.

The rare running-QB who turns into a legit threat?  Masoli.  But they did put a ton of effort and game reps into the guy.

Never go full Rider!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »

Arbuckle showed he can play. Calgary would be 0-2 with Mitchell.  Bo seems to have his throwing arm always hurt. He got his big contract and probably didn't give a lot of argument to sit for 6 games.  I mean 6 games is usually a leg or an ankle. Not sure whats up with his arm but 6 games means they are ok with him sitting after seeing Arbuckle play. We will see how he does playing a full game against defenses .
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »

Arbuckle showed he can play. Calgary would be 0-2 with Mitchell.  Bo seems to have his throwing arm always hurt. He got his big contract and probably didn't give a lot of argument to sit for 6 games.  I mean 6 games is usually a leg or an ankle. Not sure whats up with his arm but 6 games means they are ok with him sitting after seeing Arbuckle play. We will see how he does playing a full game against defenses .

I don't like how the Stamps storyline is building, looking too much like a season of adversity and redemption.  Got to put them down and keep them there.
Jesse

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »

I don't like how the Stamps storyline is building, looking too much like a season of adversity and redemption.  Got to put them down and keep them there.

We're doing all we can on that front so far.

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: