Blue Bombers Forum
July 06, 2020, 04:06:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Sherman gone!  (Read 2801 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 06:47:32 PM »

Anyone else get the sense this team is being run like the Montreal Expos in their final seasons when major league baseball owned the team?  Cut all expenses to the bone including management and coaching.

From what is being reported, this is NOT a money issue, but rather a leadership (or lack thereof) one... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »

From what is being reported, this is NOT a money issue, but rather a leadership (or lack thereof) one... 

It can be both and yeah, I realize the team is on the hook for his salary this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to make the team attractive to potential investors by cutting costs to reduce what will surely be huge losses this season.  Don't be surprised if ACTUAL attendance in the stadium (not announced) is less than 10,000 per game.
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »

It can be both and yeah, I realize the team is on the hook for his salary this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to make the team attractive to potential investors by cutting costs to reduce what will surely be huge losses this season.  Don't be surprised if ACTUAL attendance in the stadium (not announced) is less than 10,000 per game.

Umm.. paying him AND a new HC will increase costs, not cut them... it was mentioned that he was cut after consulting with the CFL head office, sounds like some front office SMS relief might have been sought, so that they can bring in a qualified replacement (sorry Khari). 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Fire101
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 11:54:30 PM »

According to tweets from Herb Zurkowsky ("I'm told #CFL officials were seated behind the bench in Toronto for #AlsMTL first exhibition game, to observe Mike Sherman, fearing the team was on the precipice of a revolt or mutiny") and David Naylor ( "I am led to believe that the @MTLAlouettes dismissal of Mike Sherman is not tied to any forthcoming ownership change. Was a pure football operations move")  this was about football not money.

The organization is saying it was a mutual decision to part ways   

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/08/sherman-steps-down-due-to-slow-adjustment-to-cfl-game/
PurpleReign

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 01:25:35 AM »

Did Montreal put Kavis Reed on the practice roster?
dd

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 03:56:59 AM »

Mike Sherman has been lost from day 1, he should have been canned a long time ago, I don?t get the timing of this....why not turf him after last season to give the next HC the best chance at success?? It?s like they had to observe his old leadership after the ex game vs Argos Huh They didn?t see him last year at all or the year before that?? He?s always been lost, add the Manziel trade/fiasco and you have a regular 3 ring circus!! My only question is why isn?t reeds head in the cross hairs?? He?s been the one orchestrating this hot mess!! He hires Sherman, he traded for Manziel , they will only get better once they did themselves of Mr ?there will be conseauences?!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 04:19:05 AM »

Sherman is a convenient scapegoat.  MTL's problem is not just one man, whether player or coach.  Sherman was just working with the mess Reed was handing down.

Sherman did a good job to recognize Pipkin is the best QB there in years, and that E.Lewis should always be on the field.  That's something at least.

I doubt Khari fares any better, and this might really hurt his career, as people will ascribe MTL's dismalness to him rather than Reed.  Kind of like they just did with Sherman.

The best thing for everyone (Khari included) is to find and bring in a big-name top-notch HC as soon as possible to give everyone hope.  I just hope it's not Lapo.

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 02:36:08 PM »

Mike Sherman has been lost from day 1, he should have been canned a long time ago, I don?t get the timing of this....why not turf him after last season to give the next HC the best chance at success??

Probably due to the change in ownership. Wettenhalls we disengaged all along (clearly!!) and now that the league took over they could impose some of their will. Unfortunate that it's a week before the season begins, though! I'm sure if the ownership change happened in November, Kavis would be gone too and the league could have at least but together a patchwork group to try to change the course. Couldn't have gotten any worse, right?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
dd

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 03:03:01 AM »

Ah man, imagine if you were some high priced free agent that signed there this year vs coming to the bombers, how bummed would you be?!? Bon chance Monsignor Posey!!!
DM83

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:44 AM »

What does Posey care. ..he still gets his money.......or wait....does he? Lol!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 04:34:46 AM »

Probably due to the change in ownership. Wettenhalls we disengaged all along (clearly!!) and now that the league took over they could impose some of their will. Unfortunate that it's a week before the season begins, though! I'm sure if the ownership change happened in November, Kavis would be gone too and the league could have at least but together a patchwork group to try to change the course. Couldn't have gotten any worse, right?

read in one article, I believe on 3downnation, that this came about due to 'key players' going to management and voicing their concerns about the head coach... evidently someone listened...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 12:28:20 PM »

read in one article, I believe on 3downnation, that this came about due to 'key players' going to management and voicing their concerns about the head coach... evidently someone listened...

Fair enough.

Whatever, that whole franchise is a complete cluster*** however you slice it!

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
66 Chevelle

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »

Fair enough.

Whatever, that whole franchise is a complete cluster*** however you slice it!

if you were the owner, you have to be asking yourself, "how the hell did things get this bad"... the team was bad, the staff were bad, lost way too much money, and only won 8 games over the past 2 seasons...

honestly, could he have done worse?  magic 8 ball says "not likely"... 

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
rubanski

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »

The enduring memory of Sheman's mic cord turning his coat into a ladies wrap top will always make me chuckle a little.
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »

This kind of reminds me of when the Blue Bombers players walked out on Darryl Rogers in 1991. Although Rogers wasn't fired, it was really the assistant coaches who ran the team for the last half of the season.

@Stats_Junkie
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: