Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2019, 12:23:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 20637 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »

JFG / go rail routes.  If a player fails at a route repeatedly, who is to blame if he fails at it again?

As to being a returner, most good nat WR's have returned in their day.  So, when your primary guy goes down, they can be the backup.  Sometimes its a DB backing up at Ret, sometimes its a WR.  And Nat WR have more experience at that, usually.  So I get why he was in there.  

I think he deserves another chance elsewhere, I suggested MTL because of proximity to home.  

I think this is the case, their primary returner was injured earlier so JFG subbed in late in the game, I believe he did the same in Wpg. a few times.  He isn't back there for his return ability but more for ball security reasons.  Next time they can use Sinopoli.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #496 on: August 13, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »

Stamps sign a big DL

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/13/stampeders-sign-former-nfl-dl-anthony-johnson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
bowlerdude

« Reply #497 on: August 13, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »

JFG / go rail routes.  If a player fails at a route repeatedly, who is to blame if he fails at it again?

As to being a returner, most good nat WR's have returned in their day.  So, when your primary guy goes down, they can be the backup.  Sometimes its a DB backing up at Ret, sometimes its a WR.  And Nat WR have more experience at that, usually.  So I get why he was in there.  

I think he deserves another chance elsewhere, I suggested MTL because of proximity to home.  

Agreed with you on the go routes... JFG is a slow, smart, sure-handed, tough receiver... his catches downfield had just been him finding an open spot in the zone. He'll never win on a go route.

JFG as a returner is basically a catch and fall down guy, we put him in once or twice too... he's there for ball security, not to make plays happen... makes sense as an injury replacement.

He's getting older now, I guess he's had a couple drops and if his hands aren't as good as they used to be, his value as a receiver is pretty much gone. But a few years ago the guy was a solid, reliable, tough player and maybe had the best hands on the team... maybe he gets another shot with a team that needs Canadian receivers.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2019, 04:15:16 AM »

JFG isn't a great receiver and he never has been. No, he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carter.  He brings in about 200 yards a season in receptions. He's ranked 52 in the league in receiving yards this year.

Isn't DC on pace for only 200 yards this year too??  Wink  Not like that dude is balling in '19.

As for JFG #52: it would be more fair to use his stats from WPG years and OTT last year.  And I would concentrate on compl/attempt and YAC... minus the go routes!!

I think this is the case, their primary returner was injured earlier so JFG subbed in late in the game, I believe he did the same in Wpg. a few times.  He isn't back there for his return ability but more for ball security reasons.

Ball security... how'd that work out for them?  Cheesy

I'll believe you guys that we had him return sometimes, because I sure don't remember that.  There were some years we were desperate for returners though.

He's getting older now, I guess he's had a couple drops and if his hands aren't as good as they used to be, his value as a receiver is pretty much gone. But a few years ago the guy was a solid, reliable, tough player and maybe had the best hands on the team... maybe he gets another shot with a team that needs Canadian receivers.

Maybe!  He has lost a step the last couple of games.  But in some games he seems to pop up late and get a string of clutch receptions when no one else is open.  We have to remember that he wasn't exactly in the best environment conducive to getting yards in OTT this year.

Ottawa Redblacks have signed returner Stefan Logan.

Woohoo!  Good for Logan.  Love watching the Septuagenarian.  He'll break one out... If that fails, he can bop the cover team guys with his cane!  (Joking aside, I really do like watching him.)

And right after his 76th birthday! Congrats to him!

Nasty!  Love it!
Ridermania

« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »

INJURY UPDATE: The Hamilton Tiger-Cats will be without DL Jamaal Westerman for the remainder of the season.

Torn tricep muscle.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/15/canadian-dl-jamaal-westerman-out-for-the-season/
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »

INJURY UPDATE: The Hamilton Tiger-Cats will be without DL Jamaal Westerman for the remainder of the season.

Torn tricep muscle.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/15/canadian-dl-jamaal-westerman-out-for-the-season/

I don't think he's played a snap in 2019 yet so it's possibly the end of the road for him. He'd be 35 next season.
GCn18

« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »

Torn tricep muscle.

That was kinda old news.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #502 on: August 15, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »

Guess I can pull out game issued royal blue retro signed Westerman jersey again! It is a sweet one.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Ridermania

« Reply #503 on: August 15, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »

Guess I can pull out game issued royal blue retro signed Westerman jersey again! It is a sweet one.

Only Goldmember can rock that jersey!
rubanski

« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »

Another good disciplined move from Walters. A fair bit of fan pushback on the forum regarding our CDN depth when he left, and that we didn't pony up as much as the Als.

Weterman was amazing when we had him, and has been totally derailed by injuries since he left.
Blue In BC

« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »

Bad news for Westerman. That sounds like the injury he suffered in Winnipeg in his last season. Probably the end of the road for him in the CFL.

No more excuses.
Ridermania

« Reply #506 on: August 15, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »

From herb z:

I've been told Canadian LB and special teams member D.J. Lalama, a former #AlsMTL player just released by Winnipeg, will be returning to Montreal.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2019, 06:26:40 AM »

Another good disciplined move from Walters. A fair bit of fan pushback on the forum regarding our CDN depth when he left, and that we didn't pony up as much as the Als.

Weterman was amazing when we had him, and has been totally derailed by injuries since he left.

Spot on on everything.  Partially luck, partially never willing to go above his whisper price, partially foresight.  Walters won on Westerman, in direct contrast to Buono who lost on A.Harris.

Hate to hear this new bad news for Westerman, but I don't think I've heard his name regarding an on-field play more than once since he left WPG!!  That was, what, 4 years ago?  The teams who picked him up after he left here got royally screwed over by the football gods.

I did always like the guy, though, and he never caused a stir or fuss like Henoc did, so I wish JM all the best.
kkc60

« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »

Westerman got 218k from Montreal and we offered 190 according to 3DN. A 28 grand difference isn't much
Norm W

« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »

Westerman got 218k from Montreal and we offered 190 according to 3DN. A 28 grand difference isn't much

What to you do for a living? 28K is nothing to sneeze at, it buys a lot of diapers and baby shoes.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35
  Print  

Jump to: