Blue Bombers Forum
August 08, 2020, 04:45:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 115660 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »

I liked Davis when he was here, and he's a Huff recruit, so there has to be at least a little talent there.  A lot of QB's didn't hit stride until their third team... I remember a guy who played for Vegas and then Hamilton...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 01:09:15 AM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/05/argos-release-national-wr-anthony-coombs/

What do folks think about him, will he sign somewhere?

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 01:31:51 AM »

Jeepers wouldn't that be amazing if the Bombers picked him up.....unfortunately no room.
kkc60

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 02:55:30 AM »

He will sign somewhere. I think Sask
Pigskin

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »

AC is injured all the time.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 04:46:11 AM »

Davis has a full year in Ottawa's offence, he should know it inside and out. He looked better than Jennings in the first preseason game. Jennings isn't known for being a cerebral QB who picks things up quickly. He's a physically gifted QB who takes too many risks. No surprise that Davis was named the starting QB at this point in time. By mid-season tho, it could easily change.

Hehe, by mid 1st game!  I'm actually equally as shocked that Jennings would agree to come to a place that wouldn't guarantee that's he's the #1 starter.  At this juncture, based on actual game play, I'd say Jennings would be the 2nd best QB in the E, after Masoli.  Surely he could have gotten a starter's job in MTL or TOR.

I think Coombs would be a great addition to WFC!  Pigskin is right, though, he's never playing, always injured, except that one great season.  If no one wants him and he's cheap like borscht, why not pick him up?  As a NAT, he's basically a roster "freebie".  Even if he's always hurt, what's the harm?  Surely he'd be available for a couple of games a year?  Hell, we carried always-hurt Wild for 3 injury-filled seasons, and he's not even a NAT freebie!

And, is it just my ageing memory acting up, or is Coombs a Winnipegger / former Bison?

Never go full Rider!
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »

Hehe, by mid 1st game!  I'm actually equally as shocked that Jennings would agree to come to a place that wouldn't guarantee that's he's the #1 starter.  At this juncture, based on actual game play, I'd say Jennings would be the 2nd best QB in the E, after Masoli.  Surely he could have gotten a starter's job in MTL or TOR.

I think Coombs would be a great addition to WFC!  Pigskin is right, though, he's never playing, always injured, except that one great season.  If no one wants him and he's cheap like borscht, why not pick him up?  As a NAT, he's basically a roster "freebie".  Even if he's always hurt, what's the harm?  Surely he'd be available for a couple of games a year?  Hell, we carried always-hurt Wild for 3 injury-filled seasons, and he's not even a NAT freebie!

And, is it just my ageing memory acting up, or is Coombs a Winnipegger / former Bison?

Bison I'm not sure. But certainly a Winnipeger.  And he'd be hurt less is he was spelling Demski.  Great option to have.  Or do we go with Peter an in that role?
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »

He?s a Bison. Played together with Demski and LaFrance.
rubanski

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

Davis has a full year in Ottawa's offence, he should know it inside and out. He looked better than Jennings in the first preseason game. Jennings isn't known for being a cerebral QB who picks things up quickly. He's a physically gifted QB who takes too many risks. No surprise that Davis was named the starting QB at this point in time. By mid-season tho, it could easily change.

I agree. I wonder if coach isn't sold on either, but Jennings has more likelihood of long term success if he's not named the starter right off the hop.
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »

I don't think there is room in Winnipeg even without concerns about his injury concerns. We need to find out whether Augustine and Oliveria have long term futures.

Coombs may land somewhere but it may take awhile as teams are only a few days away from final roster cuts.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »

I agree. I wonder if coach isn't sold on either, but Jennings has more likelihood of long term success if he's not named the starter right off the hop.

I think Jennings will get plenty of playing time in Ottawa unless Davis racks up the V's right out of the gate, if you think back to Burris/Harris Campbell doesn't hesitate to pull #1 if he's not getting the job done.  I was quite surprised he verbally committed to Davis when it wasn't really necessary, they'll both see plenty of snaps.  Bigger problem for the RB's was losing Elizondo and not having time to replace him, they did hire PaoPao but have him listed as a RB coach.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »

He?s a Bison. Played together with Demski and LaFrance.

I believe Demski tried out with the Bisons as a RB but couldn't steal the job from Coombs so he ended up as a SB, now the shoe is on the other foot but they're both better suited to Demski's role in the slot.  Neither has the bulk or the aptitude to play RB full-time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:58:02 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »

I don't think there is room in Winnipeg even without concerns about his injury concerns. We need to find out whether Augustine and Oliveria have long term futures.

Coombs may land somewhere but it may take awhile as teams are only a few days away from final roster cuts.

The only fit for on this team, is a backup to Demski and it will be related the Bombers plan with Petermann.
theaardvark

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »

Coombs would have been an immediate signing a few years ago, but his durability and our plethora of Nat RB/SB/WR talent precludes his signing here, IMHO.  Now, should he get passed over everywhere else and wants a gig at home where it may be cheaper to live, I'm sure we'd find a spot on the PR for him, or even an incentivized min wage contract...  he would be great depth, but I wouldn't want to count on him for 18 games.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 03:47:15 PM »

Coombs would have been an immediate signing a few years ago, but his durability and our plethora of Nat RB/SB/WR talent precludes his signing here, IMHO.  Now, should he get passed over everywhere else and wants a gig at home where it may be cheaper to live, I'm sure we'd find a spot on the PR for him, or even an incentivized min wage contract...  he would be great depth, but I wouldn't want to count on him for 18 games.

I could see Coombs ending up here next TC depending on how the off-season shakes out, who stays and who leaves, but injuries are a huge concern with him so he's facing an uphill battle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: