Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 01:55:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Transit predicts growing pains for Bombers fans this season  (Read 6258 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 05:45:18 PM »

The problem is that no one thinks to get their bus fare while at the game. They are there for 3- 3.5 hours and it never occurs to them to possibly get 2.95 for the trip home and they wonder why it takes so long to board the buses after the game.

I don't know if transit issues special occasion passes but perhaps the Bombers could sell digital transit passes along with game day or season tickets  good for 1-10 round trips to the stadium.  Do the buses currently have scanning devices on-board?  Regardless, the technology is already present in every grocery store, it's on the road to the future, just a question of when the Bombers and Wpg. Transit decide to hop on board.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 06:33:12 PM »

They build the baseball stadium and that dumb museum at the forks, could easily of build a football stadium there. Tear down the baseball stadium, have them play in the new stadium too, two for one. Could host some blue Jays preseason games like Montreal did to boot.

Plus forks is federal lands = federal funding. Makes sense to me...

Yeah human rights is dumb... .wow the toad is back, have some respect.

Yeah great idea to tear down one of the best and most used ball parks in Canada.  Is everyone writing this down? LOL

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 06:45:02 PM »

I don't know if transit issues special occasion passes but perhaps the Bombers could sell digital transit passes along with game day or season tickets  good for 1-10 round trips to the stadium.  Do the buses currently have scanning devices on-board?  Regardless, the technology is already present in every grocery store, it's on the road to the future, just a question of when the Bombers and Wpg. Transit decide to hop on board.

Yes, there is scanning for Peggo cards.

But the scenario isn't that 20000 don't have change ready, it's that 1) the incremental added time adds up hugely, and 2) there are sometimes malfunctions (card doesn't scan right away for whatever reason, coins are rejected) and 3) ~5-10% of people won't have their change ready, and will be standing there holding up the line scrambling to get it together or argue with the driver for free fare because they're hammered.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
pjrocksmb

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »

But the scenario isn't that 20000 don't have change ready, it's that 1) the incremental added time adds up hugely, and 2) there are sometimes malfunctions (card doesn't scan right away for whatever reason, coins are rejected) and 3) ~5-10% of people won't have their change ready, and will be standing there holding up the line scrambling to get it together or argue with the driver for free fare because they're hammered.

will be bad at 1st and people will slowly adapt and learn

blue girl

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »

You nailed it. I use the Peggo card and it doesn't scan instantly. For whatever reason the machine sometimes rejects the coins. Also you wouldn't believe the regular transit riders that don't have their change ready. Combine all these things and you're going to have a lot of angry fans.
theaardvark

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »

I get that it is nice to get free/subsidized transport.  But what other venue actually subsidizes transport too and from?  Do the Jets give you any incentives for transit?  Concerts at Club Regent?  (although they do give you free parking).  

When the stadium opened, I get that it was an unpopular spot, so free transit softened the blow.  And it was much better if everyone bused it rather than drive.  

Now, we have parking and routes figured out.  I see no reason why WFC should subsidize transit any more than providing excellent staging areas.

On the other hand, how can transit not make money hand over fist for these 10 days a year?  Overtime?  That's just bad scheduling, no reason your staff could not have this calculated in as part of their 40 hours a week.  There are so many empty buses running routes all the time, yet they still run.  Here we have full buses for the most part, a few less than full at the start and end, but still, pretty full buses, dumping passengers into what would otherwise be mostly empty buses at those times.

Maybe transit should sell a Bomber Pass, good only on Bomber Game Days, $40 for the year.  $4 a game, whether you use it or not.  Drivers don't have to collect as many fares, and people get a bit of a deal and don't have to worry about money in their pockets.  Or make them just regular tickets, have the Bombers offer a pack of 20 ride tickets to season ticket holders for $40...

There seems to be an easy workaround so that everyone is happy...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 07:39:04 PM »

I get that it is nice to get free/subsidized transport.  But what other venue actually subsidizes transport too and from?  Do the Jets give you any incentives for transit?  Concerts at Club Regent?  (although they do give you free parking).  

When the stadium opened, I get that it was an unpopular spot, so free transit softened the blow.  And it was much better if everyone bused it rather than drive.  

Now, we have parking and routes figured out.  I see no reason why WFC should subsidize transit any more than providing excellent staging areas.

On the other hand, how can transit not make money hand over fist for these 10 days a year?  Overtime?  That's just bad scheduling, no reason your staff could not have this calculated in as part of their 40 hours a week.  There are so many empty buses running routes all the time, yet they still run.  Here we have full buses for the most part, a few less than full at the start and end, but still, pretty full buses, dumping passengers into what would otherwise be mostly empty buses at those times.

Maybe transit should sell a Bomber Pass, good only on Bomber Game Days, $40 for the year.  $4 a game, whether you use it or not.  Drivers don't have to collect as many fares, and people get a bit of a deal and don't have to worry about money in their pockets.  Or make them just regular tickets, have the Bombers offer a pack of 20 ride tickets to season ticket holders for $40...

There seems to be an easy workaround so that everyone is happy...

It occurs to me that most major transit systems in Canada no longer accept direct currency payment and haven't in an eternity.  Most transit systems and subways have auto-kiosks in the staging area that sell tickets and turnstiles that accept tickets which open access to a secondary holding area with direct access to the transport.  Surely they can pick a system that is proven to work well in other locations.
blue_or_die

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »

It occurs to me that most major transit systems in Canada no longer accept direct currency payment and haven't in an eternity.  Most transit systems and subways have auto-kiosks in the staging area that sell tickets and turnstiles that accept tickets which open access to a secondary holding area with direct access to the transport.  Surely they can pick a system that is proven to work well in other locations.

This is the set up for subways and rail. Buses in most major cities still accept coin.

Many people might be using the bus strictly for Bomber games but never at any other point and therefore will not go out of their way to buy and load a Peggo card.

Because having the stand there and search for charge doesn't affect the individual all the much but has a ripple effect across the many people behind them waiting, they will likely not be altruistic enough to feel they need to improve their readiness.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Donny C

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:33 PM »

I drive in from Winkler for every game...just throwing out some perspective.

I get no free bus, no reimbursement for mileage, no incentives for out of town fans...nothing. So there now is no free bus, ok.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »

shoulda build the stadium downtown lol. What a mistake

Glad you are not a city planner.  You would need 4 square blocks for a stadium downtown.  Ignoring the fact there is not spot big enough downtown for a stadium, it would be a disaster creating a giant deadzone 90% of the time.

10 football games with average of 27,000
6 Bison games (assuming they would even want to bother coming downtown for games) at 1 - 3,000 per game.
15 soccer games at 5,000 per game
1 concert (if you are lucky as there hasn't been a show in 2 years now) at 30,000
1 other event (soccer, NFL, Nitro Circus) if you are lucky at 10 - 30,000.

That is a grand total of 30ish event per year leaving well over 330 days without any events at a downtown stadium.  It would completely dead  around the stadium 90 - 95 % of the time.  That is the last thing downtown needs - more dead zones.  Please everyone stop with this idea that a stadium downtown is a great idea.  It's terrible and not at all comparable to the Bell MTS Centre which hosts around 130 - 150 events per year.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »

Forks? IDK. Downtown is mostly dead, drop a stadium anywhere down there, not much would be lost paving over a few square blocks.

Forks is hopping right now.  Very popular.  Phase one of residential next to the human rights museum will be beginning shortly.  People living in downtown 365 days a year >>>>>>> then people visiting downtown a couple times a year for a sporting event and leaving.  A 900 foot by 600 foot stadium would not fit at the forks anyways.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:40 PM »

Well, just more support for. My opinion on IGF location as a pain in the ***.

Well back to the downtow idea,
Downtown, well we did lose a couple Parking lots.....
How about getting rid of the  white elephant Portage place.  Still maybe Not enough room.

Ok ...yeah the forks. 
I know they said something was to go in on the parking lots, but hey?

Also what about that undeveloped area on the south end of the forks?
Really reaching I. Know.

Oh well the BRT will be built, and the bus riders will be too cheap to pay the $200 fare each way!
Good,job planning City of Winnioeg

Whats the next shoe,to drop?

None of those areas would fit a stadium and it's a silly idea.  It will be dead most of 90 - 95 percent of the time.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »

They build the baseball stadium and that dumb museum at the forks, could easily of build a football stadium there. Tear down the baseball stadium, have them play in the new stadium too, two for one. Could host some blue Jays preseason games like Montreal did to boot.

Plus forks is federal lands = federal funding. Makes sense to me...

lol, tear down the baseball stadium and museum.  It feels like I am in the facebook or youtube comments section.  Combined those 2 facilities receive more visits then the current stadium.  And you know, there is a tenant at the baseball stadium with an owner that paid a significant price to construct it. 
pjrocksmb

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:44 AM »

lol, tear down the baseball stadium and museum.  It feels like I am in the facebook or youtube comments section.  Combined those 2 facilities receive more visits then the current stadium.  And you know, there is a tenant at the baseball stadium with an owner that paid a significant price to construct it. 

ignore the toad he add zero to this forum

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 12:02:20 PM »

I drive in from Winkler for every game...just throwing out some perspective.

I get no free bus, no reimbursement for mileage, no incentives for out of town fans...nothing. So there now is no free bus, ok.
I like
well pointed out!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: