Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 02:35:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Transit predicts growing pains for Bombers fans this season  (Read 6261 times)
DM83

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 02:56:07 AM »

What is bus Fare? $2.00 ?? well somewhere around there.did I say $200.00?type-O sorry Mr. exact -O(thanks for reading so closely)

Take a bus? Lol!  I gave that up when I turned 18 and got a car to attend the U of M.  Been in one ever since.
Riding on a school bus is bad enough when going to games with my football team.

Off topic.  How in the hell is there not a law requiring bus Passengers to not wear seat belts.?  That's crazy.

I disagree with all thise students you claim will be using the bus,to get to the U of M.for four months. Of the year when the Main session is over, in the summer,  the U of M is pretty quiet, even tranquil..

No one has spoke of this next question.  Where is the park and ride facilities for,people, who have to drive to the BRT start point (the forks) on a daily basis, if they are. Using the thing.?
gobombersgo

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 02:57:28 AM »

Lol at putting the stadium at the Forks. If you put it there there would be no parking left and where would the staging area be for all the buses. At least there are 5000 parking stalls at the U of M.

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »

What is bus Fare? $2.00 ?? well somewhere around there.did I say $200.00?type-O sorry Mr. exact -O(thanks for reading so closely)

Take a bus? Lol!  I gave that up when I turned 18 and got a car to attend the U of M.  Been in one ever since.
Riding on a school bus is bad enough when going to games with my football team.

Off topic.  How in the hell is there not a law requiring bus Passengers to not wear seat belts.?  That's crazy.

I disagree with all thise students you claim will be using the bus,to get to the U of M.for four months. Of the year when the Main session is over, in the summer,  the U of M is pretty quiet, even tranquil..

No one has spoke of this next question.  Where is the park and ride facilities for,people, who have to drive to the BRT start point (the forks) on a daily basis, if they are. Using the thing.?

The U of M is one of the biggest intuitions in the Province and students use the bus.  Your argument makes no sense as its run year round.  Yes there are busy times and it does slow down a bit but this bus route is busy most of the time and serves many.  It also serves a growing population in South wpg.  Fare is $2.85.  Transit has park and ride all over, DT not sure.  A modern efficient transit system is essential for any city.  I trust the city,province and feds that funded this did their homework on this one.  Try riding it before you speak so negative about it.   Its great and getting better.

Lol at putting the stadium at the Forks. If you put it there there would be no parking left and where would the staging area be for all the buses. At least there are 5000 parking stalls at the U of M.

Yup
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:38:07 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

So the link above says riders will have to pay a fare going to the game....what about after - still a fare or is that free?

From the article:

As a result, bus drivers will now have to collect fares after games ? which is expected to slow things down when passengers are loading ? and there will also be fewer Transit buses in service.

it will be fine, buses are loaded all the time right to the capacity and fans will figure it out

real shame it's not free though

should be a special deal with the Bombers and City of Winnipeg

Kind of the opposite of the popular opinion, I think. I think the problem isn't that people mind coughing up $3 to ride home, it's that the time to pay with change and therefore time to load the buses and get them on their way will drastically increase the time and logistics of the bus loop.

When I lived in the states, on special occasions like 4th of July, the city would make public transit free in the evening, simply because after the downtown fireworks were over there were literally millions of people headed home at the same time and it is chaos handling people at subway stations to pay the fare (or even flash their prepaid card).

I think an ideal solution is for fans to pay their fare going to the game, and for the team to subsidize Wpg Transit for the fare home simply for logistics sake.

I think you misunderstand. The reason BRT is helpful for games is because it offloads buses who will be going towards downtown (i.e. most/all fans who don't live in the south end of town) off the roads and expedites them to downtown where they catch their connection to their neighbourhood. BRT isn't a park and ride solution, it's for those who take the transit system to games exclusively.

Having BRT exist from downtown to U of M -even if that's the only route ever completed- is actually a big bonus to having the stadium at U of M, especially when you factor in existing parking on site + the large bus loop. You can find faults with any location. I sure as hell did not find St James convenient by any means.

All that said, I did not mean for this to turn into another location debate.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:15:12 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Jesse

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »

All that said, I did not mean for this to turn into another location debate.

I think that's unavoidable.

This news immediately ties to the convenience of the location, unfortunately.

I can't believe the city is going to go through the process of collecting fares though. You have 25 000 citizens stranded out there (many who have been drinking). It's in everyone's best interest to expedite this process as quickly as possible.

My wife is amazing!
TBURGESS

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »

I can't believe anyone is still arguing about where the stadium is. Wait for 40 years, when it needs to be replaced to argue about where the new one should go. Until then... it is where it is.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

I have 3 words for everyone. PARK AND RIDE!!!!!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:46 PM »

I can't believe the city is going to go through the process of collecting fares though. You have 25 000 citizens stranded out there (many who have been drinking). It's in everyone's best interest to expedite this process as quickly as possible.

User pay is the proper progression, much more palatable than having non-football fans and those who can not afford to go professional football games subsidize those lucky and wealthy enough to attend.  Bomber fans had a couple years of grace to learn how the bus system operated N.C., now it's time to pay the toll.  How time consuming is it to drop change in a receptacle?  Drivers do not offer change and haven't for decades, anyone who holds up the line by fumbling in their pockets for change while loading after standing in a line for 10 minutes in anticipation of loading deserves a boot up the ***.  Donkeys can be trained, maybe people can be too?
blue_or_die

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »

User pay is the proper progression, much more palatable than having non-football fans and those who can not afford to go professional football games subsidize those lucky and wealthy enough to attend.  Bomber fans had a couple years of grace to learn how the bus system operated N.C., now it's time to pay the toll.  How time consuming is it to drop change in a receptacle?  Drivers do not offer change and haven't for decades, anyone who holds up the line by fumbling in their pockets for change while loading after standing in a line for 10 minutes in anticipation of loading deserves a boot up the ***.  Donkeys can be trained, maybe people can be too?

I think you might be underestimating it. An extra 5 seconds per person adds up big time when you have tens of thousands in one area. I've seen this happen.

I agree with you though that it shouldn't be on the city to foot the bill, but Jesse is also correct that they have a vested interest in getting people home safely and don't want to risk their reputation on what might be viewed as bad service. Also, this flood of people who are forced to take the bus is revenue the city would otherwise not get if e.g. everyone were able to drive.

I think the best compromise is the city cut a deal on cost and then the Bombers pay that. Only for the ride home though- there's no reason to subsidize the ride there.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
rubanski

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »

Mods call me out if you want.

It's not unavoidable. People bringing up location are being ignorant losers. Get a life.

The stadium is where it is. This is a conversation about transportation to and from the game. Specifically a decision by the team to stop subsidizing transport.

Stop talking about the location. It's inane. You think the stadium should be somewhere else. Pony up 400 million dollars and build one elsewhere.

The thread is about getting to the games, and the bickering between Transit and Wade Miller.
bluengold204

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »

You would be surprised at how often the receptacle spits out your change back at you, or the peggo card scanner does not scan properly.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »

Forks? IDK. Downtown is mostly dead, drop a stadium anywhere down there, not much would be lost paving over a few square blocks.

The Forks... LOL Cheesy

One should keep in mind the location chosen was for a pretty important reason: federal funding.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »

The Forks... LOL Cheesy

One should keep in mind the location chosen was for a pretty important reason: federal funding.

They build the baseball stadium and that dumb museum at the forks, could easily of build a football stadium there. Tear down the baseball stadium, have them play in the new stadium too, two for one. Could host some blue Jays preseason games like Montreal did to boot.

Plus forks is federal lands = federal funding. Makes sense to me...

[deleted]
Gridiron guy

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »

The problem is that no one thinks to get their bus fare while at the game. They are there for 3- 3.5 hours and it never occurs to them to possibly get 2.95 for the trip home and they wonder why it takes so long to board the buses after the game.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »

The problem is that no one thinks to get their bus fare while at the game. They are there for 3- 3.5 hours and it never occurs to them to possibly get 2.95 for the trip home and they wonder why it takes so long to board the buses after the game.

Should change the price of beer slightly so 4 beers gets you exact bus fare  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

[deleted]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: