Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 01:23:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Transit predicts growing pains for Bombers fans this season  (Read 6257 times)
blue_or_die

« on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »

Fans seeking bus rides for Winnipeg Blue Bombers games next CFL season should prepare for some growing pains, Winnipeg Transit says.

That was the message delivered to the City of Winnipeg infrastructure renewal and public works committee Tuesday, as it voted to approve a motion to grant Transit director Greg Ewankiw the ability to dispatch additional buses during large events.

The motion comes on the heels of news the Winnipeg Football Club ? the non-profit which runs the Blue Bombers ? will no longer be subsidizing extra buses on Winnipeg Transit routes to the stadium during CFL home games.

As a result, bus drivers will now have to collect fares after games ? which is expected to slow things down when passengers are loading ? and there will also be fewer Transit buses in service.

Coun. Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan), who is a Blue Bombers season-ticket holder, said even though the agency has predicted "delays" will result, he?s hopeful the impact on traffic in general will be limited.

"By the time the 2020 season rolls around, the majority of the Winnipeg Transit buses that use the rapid transit route will get down that Pembina Highway stretch that gets really backed up, because they?ll be off the traditional road and on the rapid transit route," Browaty said.

"We?ve grown into the site and figured out ways to mitigate some of the impacts? Although, it was mostly taxpayers that paid for the transit mega-facility there (at IG Field)."

During the meeting, Browaty put forth a motion ? which passed ? calling on the public service to look into what it costs taxpayers to provide extra buses during large events in the city.

While Blue Bombers games are not the only events which require extra buses being put into service, they are more taxing on transit resources than any other large events, the city said.

Browaty said he?s hopeful looking into the costs will show whether Winnipeggers are getting a good bang for their buck.

"When it comes to special events, you have to sort of weigh it. Does it make sense to provide special service for these venues? In the case of Investors Group Field, it?s not located in the most ideal place (the University of Manitoba campus) to provide additional service," Browaty said.

"What the Bombers have done is they?ve set up a whole network, they?ve gone really heavy into these park-and-rides (services). They?ve even, since they got that bus terminal built, they?ve gotten more involved in providing shuttles."

While the Winnipeg Football Club has decided to no longer chip in for the extra Transit buses needed during home games, it plans to continue operating its park and ride services, which provide round-trip transport from seven locations, for a fee.

-Ryan Thorpe

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/winnipeg-transit-predicts-growing-pains-for-bombers-fans-this-season-510536202.html

Interesting topic of discussion. From the Bombers' perspective, on one hand, they save money directly by not paying out for the buses and free fare home. On the other, they indirectly potentially lose money by people who are now more inconvenienced and thus less likely to attend games. For them, this could be a "final straw" for those who already hate having to bus to Fort Garry. And if there's a huge affect from having to go through the payment process to load a bus + longer waits due to less buses, that could have a ripple effect to the crowd that will say it's not worth it.

Hard to say until this plays out.

I agree with the part of the article that mentions the success of the park-and-rides and restaurant shuttle programs. I think those work great, at and 5 bucks + probably not having to pay a transit union OT wage, they probably have minimal losses on this investment. I wonder if there are cheap and easy ways to incentivize more restaurants to run a shuttle?

Overall though it's a loss for those who rely on the transit system solely for their transportation for games. Hopefully the impact is small or they are able to adjust by altering their method.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »

shoulda build the stadium downtown lol. What a mistake

[deleted]
Pigskin

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »

Where downtown???
blue girl

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »

Speaking as someone who lives downtown I have no idea where a stadium would go. Even Bell/MTS Place has been squeezed into a city block. As for the transit as someone who relies on transit to get around I'm wondering if there are going to be extra buses downtown after the game because if it's just the regular schedule at that time of night the buses run every 30 to 40 minutes and I might not get home until well after midnight. BTW I don't mind paying because I have a Peggo card but when people pay cash it really slows things down.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »

Forks? IDK. Downtown is mostly dead, drop a stadium anywhere down there, not much would be lost paving over a few square blocks.

[deleted]
the paw

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »

I don?t care about the cost, but loading after the game is going to be a nightmare as all the drunks try to find exact change.

Wpg transit should sell a bracelet good for free rides on game day, so you can just flash it as you board.  I?d buy one for sure.

grab grass 'n growl
gobombersgo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

For those that use the Park n Ride #4, it has moved from the Hydro building on Taylor to the Pony Coral Grant Park. This is due to upcoming construction on Taylor Ave.

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 11:17:30 PM »

it will be fine, buses are loaded all the time right to the capacity and fans will figure it out

real shame it's not free though

should be a special deal with the Bombers and City of Winnipeg

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
RebusRankin

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 12:23:13 AM »

I'm waiting for a reporter to tell us if True North pays Winnipeg Transit a subsidy for Jets games or concerts.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 12:30:22 AM »

This year's Transportation Plan to and from Bomber games is here:

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=51580.0

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »

I don?t care about the cost, but loading after the game is going to be a nightmare as all the drunks try to find exact change.

Wpg transit should sell a bracelet good for free rides on game day, so you can just flash it as you board.  I?d buy one for sure.
This is an idea that I would go for. I agree that the real problem is going to be people using cash. Even my Peggo card doesn't always scan right away. My guess is that the people who came up with this have never taken a bus.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:54:28 AM »

This is an idea that I would go for. I agree that the real problem is going to be people using cash. Even my Peggo card doesn't always scan right away. My guess is that the people who came up with this have never taken a bus.

agree, good idea

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:31:33 AM »

So the link above says riders will have to pay a fare going to the game....what about after - still a fare or is that free?
DM83

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 02:33:21 AM »

Well, just more support for. My opinion on IGF location as a pain in the ***.

Well back to the downtow idea,
Downtown, well we did lose a couple Parking lots.....
How about getting rid of the  white elephant Portage place.  Still maybe Not enough room.

Ok ...yeah the forks. 
I know they said something was to go in on the parking lots, but hey?

Also what about that undeveloped area on the south end of the forks?
Really reaching I. Know.

Oh well the BRT will be built, and the bus riders will be too cheap to pay the $200 fare each way!
Good,job planning City of Winnioeg

Whats the next shoe,to drop?
pjrocksmb

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 02:44:35 AM »

How about getting rid of the  white elephant Portage place.  Still maybe Not enough room.

Ok ...yeah the forks. 

Really reaching I. Know.

Oh well the BRT will be built, and the bus riders will be too cheap to pay the $200 fare each way!

Rapid transit is a great idea and a game changer for transportation for the City of Winnipeg.  Ever hear of a little place called the U of M, just ten of thousands of students that benefit from BRT daily.  No biggie.

The location is fine and rapid transit will help improve the transportation to and from the game.

$200 fare each way? what are you talking about?

Yes the COW has done a great job in expanding our transit, the only thing bad is that it's taking so long.  Sam Katz can be blamed for that.

Try riding rapid transit before you knock it. 

DM83

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 02:56:07 AM »

What is bus Fare? $2.00 ?? well somewhere around there.did I say $200.00?type-O sorry Mr. exact -O(thanks for reading so closely)

Take a bus? Lol!  I gave that up when I turned 18 and got a car to attend the U of M.  Been in one ever since.
Riding on a school bus is bad enough when going to games with my football team.

Off topic.  How in the hell is there not a law requiring bus Passengers to not wear seat belts.?  That's crazy.

I disagree with all thise students you claim will be using the bus,to get to the U of M.for four months. Of the year when the Main session is over, in the summer,  the U of M is pretty quiet, even tranquil..

No one has spoke of this next question.  Where is the park and ride facilities for,people, who have to drive to the BRT start point (the forks) on a daily basis, if they are. Using the thing.?
gobombersgo

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 02:57:28 AM »

Lol at putting the stadium at the Forks. If you put it there there would be no parking left and where would the staging area be for all the buses. At least there are 5000 parking stalls at the U of M.

pjrocksmb

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »

What is bus Fare? $2.00 ?? well somewhere around there.did I say $200.00?type-O sorry Mr. exact -O(thanks for reading so closely)

Take a bus? Lol!  I gave that up when I turned 18 and got a car to attend the U of M.  Been in one ever since.
Riding on a school bus is bad enough when going to games with my football team.

Off topic.  How in the hell is there not a law requiring bus Passengers to not wear seat belts.?  That's crazy.

I disagree with all thise students you claim will be using the bus,to get to the U of M.for four months. Of the year when the Main session is over, in the summer,  the U of M is pretty quiet, even tranquil..

No one has spoke of this next question.  Where is the park and ride facilities for,people, who have to drive to the BRT start point (the forks) on a daily basis, if they are. Using the thing.?

The U of M is one of the biggest intuitions in the Province and students use the bus.  Your argument makes no sense as its run year round.  Yes there are busy times and it does slow down a bit but this bus route is busy most of the time and serves many.  It also serves a growing population in South wpg.  Fare is $2.85.  Transit has park and ride all over, DT not sure.  A modern efficient transit system is essential for any city.  I trust the city,province and feds that funded this did their homework on this one.  Try riding it before you speak so negative about it.   Its great and getting better.

Lol at putting the stadium at the Forks. If you put it there there would be no parking left and where would the staging area be for all the buses. At least there are 5000 parking stalls at the U of M.

Yup
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:38:07 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

blue_or_die

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

So the link above says riders will have to pay a fare going to the game....what about after - still a fare or is that free?

From the article:

As a result, bus drivers will now have to collect fares after games ? which is expected to slow things down when passengers are loading ? and there will also be fewer Transit buses in service.

it will be fine, buses are loaded all the time right to the capacity and fans will figure it out

real shame it's not free though

should be a special deal with the Bombers and City of Winnipeg

Kind of the opposite of the popular opinion, I think. I think the problem isn't that people mind coughing up $3 to ride home, it's that the time to pay with change and therefore time to load the buses and get them on their way will drastically increase the time and logistics of the bus loop.

When I lived in the states, on special occasions like 4th of July, the city would make public transit free in the evening, simply because after the downtown fireworks were over there were literally millions of people headed home at the same time and it is chaos handling people at subway stations to pay the fare (or even flash their prepaid card).

I think an ideal solution is for fans to pay their fare going to the game, and for the team to subsidize Wpg Transit for the fare home simply for logistics sake.

I think you misunderstand. The reason BRT is helpful for games is because it offloads buses who will be going towards downtown (i.e. most/all fans who don't live in the south end of town) off the roads and expedites them to downtown where they catch their connection to their neighbourhood. BRT isn't a park and ride solution, it's for those who take the transit system to games exclusively.

Having BRT exist from downtown to U of M -even if that's the only route ever completed- is actually a big bonus to having the stadium at U of M, especially when you factor in existing parking on site + the large bus loop. You can find faults with any location. I sure as hell did not find St James convenient by any means.

All that said, I did not mean for this to turn into another location debate.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:15:12 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

Jesse

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »

All that said, I did not mean for this to turn into another location debate.

I think that's unavoidable.

This news immediately ties to the convenience of the location, unfortunately.

I can't believe the city is going to go through the process of collecting fares though. You have 25 000 citizens stranded out there (many who have been drinking). It's in everyone's best interest to expedite this process as quickly as possible.

My wife is amazing!
TBURGESS

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »

I can't believe anyone is still arguing about where the stadium is. Wait for 40 years, when it needs to be replaced to argue about where the new one should go. Until then... it is where it is.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

I have 3 words for everyone. PARK AND RIDE!!!!!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:46 PM »

I can't believe the city is going to go through the process of collecting fares though. You have 25 000 citizens stranded out there (many who have been drinking). It's in everyone's best interest to expedite this process as quickly as possible.

User pay is the proper progression, much more palatable than having non-football fans and those who can not afford to go professional football games subsidize those lucky and wealthy enough to attend.  Bomber fans had a couple years of grace to learn how the bus system operated N.C., now it's time to pay the toll.  How time consuming is it to drop change in a receptacle?  Drivers do not offer change and haven't for decades, anyone who holds up the line by fumbling in their pockets for change while loading after standing in a line for 10 minutes in anticipation of loading deserves a boot up the ***.  Donkeys can be trained, maybe people can be too?
blue_or_die

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »

User pay is the proper progression, much more palatable than having non-football fans and those who can not afford to go professional football games subsidize those lucky and wealthy enough to attend.  Bomber fans had a couple years of grace to learn how the bus system operated N.C., now it's time to pay the toll.  How time consuming is it to drop change in a receptacle?  Drivers do not offer change and haven't for decades, anyone who holds up the line by fumbling in their pockets for change while loading after standing in a line for 10 minutes in anticipation of loading deserves a boot up the ***.  Donkeys can be trained, maybe people can be too?

I think you might be underestimating it. An extra 5 seconds per person adds up big time when you have tens of thousands in one area. I've seen this happen.

I agree with you though that it shouldn't be on the city to foot the bill, but Jesse is also correct that they have a vested interest in getting people home safely and don't want to risk their reputation on what might be viewed as bad service. Also, this flood of people who are forced to take the bus is revenue the city would otherwise not get if e.g. everyone were able to drive.

I think the best compromise is the city cut a deal on cost and then the Bombers pay that. Only for the ride home though- there's no reason to subsidize the ride there.

rubanski

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »

Mods call me out if you want.

It's not unavoidable. People bringing up location are being ignorant losers. Get a life.

The stadium is where it is. This is a conversation about transportation to and from the game. Specifically a decision by the team to stop subsidizing transport.

Stop talking about the location. It's inane. You think the stadium should be somewhere else. Pony up 400 million dollars and build one elsewhere.

The thread is about getting to the games, and the bickering between Transit and Wade Miller.
bluengold204

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »

You would be surprised at how often the receptacle spits out your change back at you, or the peggo card scanner does not scan properly.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »

Forks? IDK. Downtown is mostly dead, drop a stadium anywhere down there, not much would be lost paving over a few square blocks.

The Forks... LOL Cheesy

One should keep in mind the location chosen was for a pretty important reason: federal funding.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »

The Forks... LOL Cheesy

One should keep in mind the location chosen was for a pretty important reason: federal funding.

They build the baseball stadium and that dumb museum at the forks, could easily of build a football stadium there. Tear down the baseball stadium, have them play in the new stadium too, two for one. Could host some blue Jays preseason games like Montreal did to boot.

Plus forks is federal lands = federal funding. Makes sense to me...

[deleted]
Gridiron guy

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »

The problem is that no one thinks to get their bus fare while at the game. They are there for 3- 3.5 hours and it never occurs to them to possibly get 2.95 for the trip home and they wonder why it takes so long to board the buses after the game.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »

The problem is that no one thinks to get their bus fare while at the game. They are there for 3- 3.5 hours and it never occurs to them to possibly get 2.95 for the trip home and they wonder why it takes so long to board the buses after the game.

Should change the price of beer slightly so 4 beers gets you exact bus fare  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

[deleted]
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 05:45:18 PM »

I don't know if transit issues special occasion passes but perhaps the Bombers could sell digital transit passes along with game day or season tickets  good for 1-10 round trips to the stadium.  Do the buses currently have scanning devices on-board?  Regardless, the technology is already present in every grocery store, it's on the road to the future, just a question of when the Bombers and Wpg. Transit decide to hop on board.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 06:33:12 PM »

They build the baseball stadium and that dumb museum at the forks, could easily of build a football stadium there. Tear down the baseball stadium, have them play in the new stadium too, two for one. Could host some blue Jays preseason games like Montreal did to boot.

Yeah human rights is dumb... .wow the toad is back, have some respect.

Yeah great idea to tear down one of the best and most used ball parks in Canada.  Is everyone writing this down? LOL

blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 06:45:02 PM »

I don't know if transit issues special occasion passes but perhaps the Bombers could sell digital transit passes along with game day or season tickets  good for 1-10 round trips to the stadium.  Do the buses currently have scanning devices on-board?  Regardless, the technology is already present in every grocery store, it's on the road to the future, just a question of when the Bombers and Wpg. Transit decide to hop on board.

Yes, there is scanning for Peggo cards.

But the scenario isn't that 20000 don't have change ready, it's that 1) the incremental added time adds up hugely, and 2) there are sometimes malfunctions (card doesn't scan right away for whatever reason, coins are rejected) and 3) ~5-10% of people won't have their change ready, and will be standing there holding up the line scrambling to get it together or argue with the driver for free fare because they're hammered.

pjrocksmb

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »

But the scenario isn't that 20000 don't have change ready, it's that 1) the incremental added time adds up hugely, and 2) there are sometimes malfunctions (card doesn't scan right away for whatever reason, coins are rejected) and 3) ~5-10% of people won't have their change ready, and will be standing there holding up the line scrambling to get it together or argue with the driver for free fare because they're hammered.

will be bad at 1st and people will slowly adapt and learn

blue girl

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »

You nailed it. I use the Peggo card and it doesn't scan instantly. For whatever reason the machine sometimes rejects the coins. Also you wouldn't believe the regular transit riders that don't have their change ready. Combine all these things and you're going to have a lot of angry fans.
theaardvark

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »

I get that it is nice to get free/subsidized transport.  But what other venue actually subsidizes transport too and from?  Do the Jets give you any incentives for transit?  Concerts at Club Regent?  (although they do give you free parking).  

When the stadium opened, I get that it was an unpopular spot, so free transit softened the blow.  And it was much better if everyone bused it rather than drive.  

Now, we have parking and routes figured out.  I see no reason why WFC should subsidize transit any more than providing excellent staging areas.

On the other hand, how can transit not make money hand over fist for these 10 days a year?  Overtime?  That's just bad scheduling, no reason your staff could not have this calculated in as part of their 40 hours a week.  There are so many empty buses running routes all the time, yet they still run.  Here we have full buses for the most part, a few less than full at the start and end, but still, pretty full buses, dumping passengers into what would otherwise be mostly empty buses at those times.

Maybe transit should sell a Bomber Pass, good only on Bomber Game Days, $40 for the year.  $4 a game, whether you use it or not.  Drivers don't have to collect as many fares, and people get a bit of a deal and don't have to worry about money in their pockets.  Or make them just regular tickets, have the Bombers offer a pack of 20 ride tickets to season ticket holders for $40...

There seems to be an easy workaround so that everyone is happy...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 07:39:04 PM »

I get that it is nice to get free/subsidized transport.  But what other venue actually subsidizes transport too and from?  Do the Jets give you any incentives for transit?  Concerts at Club Regent?  (although they do give you free parking).  

When the stadium opened, I get that it was an unpopular spot, so free transit softened the blow.  And it was much better if everyone bused it rather than drive.  

Now, we have parking and routes figured out.  I see no reason why WFC should subsidize transit any more than providing excellent staging areas.

On the other hand, how can transit not make money hand over fist for these 10 days a year?  Overtime?  That's just bad scheduling, no reason your staff could not have this calculated in as part of their 40 hours a week.  There are so many empty buses running routes all the time, yet they still run.  Here we have full buses for the most part, a few less than full at the start and end, but still, pretty full buses, dumping passengers into what would otherwise be mostly empty buses at those times.

Maybe transit should sell a Bomber Pass, good only on Bomber Game Days, $40 for the year.  $4 a game, whether you use it or not.  Drivers don't have to collect as many fares, and people get a bit of a deal and don't have to worry about money in their pockets.  Or make them just regular tickets, have the Bombers offer a pack of 20 ride tickets to season ticket holders for $40...

There seems to be an easy workaround so that everyone is happy...

It occurs to me that most major transit systems in Canada no longer accept direct currency payment and haven't in an eternity.  Most transit systems and subways have auto-kiosks in the staging area that sell tickets and turnstiles that accept tickets which open access to a secondary holding area with direct access to the transport.  Surely they can pick a system that is proven to work well in other locations.
blue_or_die

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »

It occurs to me that most major transit systems in Canada no longer accept direct currency payment and haven't in an eternity.  Most transit systems and subways have auto-kiosks in the staging area that sell tickets and turnstiles that accept tickets which open access to a secondary holding area with direct access to the transport.  Surely they can pick a system that is proven to work well in other locations.

This is the set up for subways and rail. Buses in most major cities still accept coin.

Many people might be using the bus strictly for Bomber games but never at any other point and therefore will not go out of their way to buy and load a Peggo card.

Because having the stand there and search for charge doesn't affect the individual all the much but has a ripple effect across the many people behind them waiting, they will likely not be altruistic enough to feel they need to improve their readiness.

Donny C

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:33 PM »

I drive in from Winkler for every game...just throwing out some perspective.

I get no free bus, no reimbursement for mileage, no incentives for out of town fans...nothing. So there now is no free bus, ok.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »

shoulda build the stadium downtown lol. What a mistake

Glad you are not a city planner.  You would need 4 square blocks for a stadium downtown.  Ignoring the fact there is not spot big enough downtown for a stadium, it would be a disaster creating a giant deadzone 90% of the time.

10 football games with average of 27,000
6 Bison games (assuming they would even want to bother coming downtown for games) at 1 - 3,000 per game.
15 soccer games at 5,000 per game
1 concert (if you are lucky as there hasn't been a show in 2 years now) at 30,000
1 other event (soccer, NFL, Nitro Circus) if you are lucky at 10 - 30,000.

That is a grand total of 30ish event per year leaving well over 330 days without any events at a downtown stadium.  It would completely dead  around the stadium 90 - 95 % of the time.  That is the last thing downtown needs - more dead zones.  Please everyone stop with this idea that a stadium downtown is a great idea.  It's terrible and not at all comparable to the Bell MTS Centre which hosts around 130 - 150 events per year.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »

Forks is hopping right now.  Very popular.  Phase one of residential next to the human rights museum will be beginning shortly.  People living in downtown 365 days a year >>>>>>> then people visiting downtown a couple times a year for a sporting event and leaving.  A 900 foot by 600 foot stadium would not fit at the forks anyways.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:40 PM »

Ok ...yeah the forks. 

Really reaching I. Know.

None of those areas would fit a stadium and it's a silly idea.  It will be dead most of 90 - 95 percent of the time.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »

lol, tear down the baseball stadium and museum.  It feels like I am in the facebook or youtube comments section.  Combined those 2 facilities receive more visits then the current stadium.  And you know, there is a tenant at the baseball stadium with an owner that paid a significant price to construct it. 
pjrocksmb

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:44 AM »

lol, tear down the baseball stadium and museum.  It feels like I am in the facebook or youtube comments section.  Combined those 2 facilities receive more visits then the current stadium.  And you know, there is a tenant at the baseball stadium with an owner that paid a significant price to construct it. 

ignore the toad he add zero to this forum

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 12:02:20 PM »

I drive in from Winkler for every game...just throwing out some perspective.

I get no free bus, no reimbursement for mileage, no incentives for out of town fans...nothing. So there now is no free bus, ok.
I like
well pointed out!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
rubanski

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »

Why are people talking about stadium location? Stadium contstructions started TEN YEARS AGO!

Anyways, agree with Bannatyne here. The solution to jamming a stadium's worth of people on the bus is to have turnstiles and things paid for on their way to a loading area. But... that's a huge capital expenditure for a system that will be used 30 times a year at most. Heck, since it's probably only used for big events (so not soccer or Bison games), that's less than 12 times a year.
blue girl

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »

Maybe this is a dumb idea but why not do what they do with the park and ride and collect the money when you get to the stadium. That way they can just load the buses after the game which is going to be the big problem anyway.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »

Maybe this is a dumb idea but why not do what they do with the park and ride and collect the money when you get to the stadium. That way they can just load the buses after the game which is going to be the big problem anyway.

Not a dumb idea at all.  Or give a card or bracelet or season passes purchased at a kiosk ahead of time.  Sell the return fare at stadium with drinks or food. 
pjrocksmb

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »

how were the lines last night?

buckzumhoff

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »

No problem getting on the bus. Didn't waiting at all..
pjrocksmb

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »

No problem getting on the bus. Didn't waiting at all..

awesome

blue girl

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2019, 07:50:56 PM »

how were the lines last night?
Fortunately they're not charging yet so the lines moved pretty fast. Lot's of buses also.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »

for me this whole bus thing is a little perplexing... I get why the Bombers are no longer providing the transportation, since 2013 the Bombers have spent $4.6M to provide the service...

what I don't get is that in 2017 Triple B Stadium, the entity that the Bombers are making stadium payments to, admitted that they, Triple B, were obligated to assist the Bombers in paying for this bus service... in total it was determined that Triple B should have paid $4.1M as their share of the expense...

however, according to the Bombers 2018 published financial statements you find this statement, "Accordingly, the Club recorded a receivable of $4.1 million from Triple B for the cost recovery. However, given that there is significant doubt regarding the collectability of the receivable from Triple B based on Triple B?s going concern status, the Club has recorded an allowance for doubtful accounts equal to the full recovery amount of $4.1 million.", which basically seems to be saying that the Bombers don't plan on getting to be reimbursed...

the perplexing part for me is 2 fold...

1) it's hard to think that you would classify a debt owed by a company that you are making annual payments to, payments that potentially amount to almost $4M per year, every year, until 2058, as "doubtful" when you could simply reduce your payment to this company by the $4.1M, or, simply reduce the balance owed by that amount... it's hard to understand how someone that you have agreed to pay as much as $175M over the course of this agreement can't figure out a way to reimburse the Bombers the $4.1M they admit that they owe...

2) how or who makes these types of determination? after all, the Winnipeg Football Club is both debtor and the creditor/owner in these decisions as they are a partner of the ownership group known as Triple B Stadium, LLC... it's not clear as to who's best interest is being served, at least it isn't for me...

just curious as to if anyone here had some knowledge about the relationship between these two entities and any considerations that may be in play here...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Sec223

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »

I don't understand the same whining about getting to the stadium or even where it's built. Get over it please. The stadium will be at the U of M for years so deal with it. As for getting there I walk a couple blocks and hop on a Park and Ride. When you get to the stadium you hand them 5 bucks. When the game is over I just hop on the bus. No paying no waiting no problem. On a nice night I ride my bike. 30 minutes. Yes I'm lucky I live fairly close. Why don't some people throw their bikes in their vehicles and drive part way and ride the rest ? Park where you don't have to pay and no bus to pay for. Seems so many people feel they need free transportation for the games. No one pays your bus fee to go out for dinner or a movie etc. Pay the 5 bucks and get over it !
the paw

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »

for me this whole bus thing is a little perplexing... I get why the Bombers are no longer providing the transportation, since 2013 the Bombers have spent $4.6M to provide the service...

what I don't get is that in 2017 Triple B Stadium, the entity that the Bombers are making stadium payments to, admitted that they, Triple B, were obligated to assist the Bombers in paying for this bus service... in total it was determined that Triple B should have paid $4.1M as their share of the expense...

however, according to the Bombers 2018 published financial statements you find this statement, "Accordingly, the Club recorded a receivable of $4.1 million from Triple B for the cost recovery. However, given that there is significant doubt regarding the collectability of the receivable from Triple B based on Triple B?s going concern status, the Club has recorded an allowance for doubtful accounts equal to the full recovery amount of $4.1 million.", which basically seems to be saying that the Bombers don't plan on getting to be reimbursed...

the perplexing part for me is 2 fold...

1) it's hard to think that you would classify a debt owed by a company that you are making annual payments to, payments that potentially amount to almost $4M per year, every year, until 2058, as "doubtful" when you could simply reduce your payment to this company by the $4.1M, or, simply reduce the balance owed by that amount... it's hard to understand how someone that you have agreed to pay as much as $175M over the course of this agreement can't figure out a way to reimburse the Bombers the $4.1M they admit that they owe...

2) how or who makes these types of determination? after all, the Winnipeg Football Club is both debtor and the creditor/owner in these decisions as they are a partner of the ownership group known as Triple B Stadium, LLC... it's not clear as to who's best interest is being served, at least it isn't for me...

just curious as to if anyone here had some knowledge about the relationship between these two entities and any considerations that may be in play here...

If the Provincial Government writes off a large portion of the stadium debt, then Triple B will not be able to collect the same level of annual payments from the Bombers.  Since Triple B basically exists to take payments from the Bombers and apply it to the debt, it would bring their status as a "going concern" into question. 

The upshot is that if the Bombers don't have to make the same level of stadium payments, the various government stakeholders are not going to kick back reimbursement for transit.

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: