Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 02:32:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Transit predicts growing pains for Bombers fans this season  (Read 6260 times)
blue_or_die

« on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »

Fans seeking bus rides for Winnipeg Blue Bombers games next CFL season should prepare for some growing pains, Winnipeg Transit says.

That was the message delivered to the City of Winnipeg infrastructure renewal and public works committee Tuesday, as it voted to approve a motion to grant Transit director Greg Ewankiw the ability to dispatch additional buses during large events.

The motion comes on the heels of news the Winnipeg Football Club ? the non-profit which runs the Blue Bombers ? will no longer be subsidizing extra buses on Winnipeg Transit routes to the stadium during CFL home games.

As a result, bus drivers will now have to collect fares after games ? which is expected to slow things down when passengers are loading ? and there will also be fewer Transit buses in service.

Coun. Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan), who is a Blue Bombers season-ticket holder, said even though the agency has predicted "delays" will result, he?s hopeful the impact on traffic in general will be limited.

"By the time the 2020 season rolls around, the majority of the Winnipeg Transit buses that use the rapid transit route will get down that Pembina Highway stretch that gets really backed up, because they?ll be off the traditional road and on the rapid transit route," Browaty said.

"We?ve grown into the site and figured out ways to mitigate some of the impacts? Although, it was mostly taxpayers that paid for the transit mega-facility there (at IG Field)."

During the meeting, Browaty put forth a motion ? which passed ? calling on the public service to look into what it costs taxpayers to provide extra buses during large events in the city.

While Blue Bombers games are not the only events which require extra buses being put into service, they are more taxing on transit resources than any other large events, the city said.

Browaty said he?s hopeful looking into the costs will show whether Winnipeggers are getting a good bang for their buck.

"When it comes to special events, you have to sort of weigh it. Does it make sense to provide special service for these venues? In the case of Investors Group Field, it?s not located in the most ideal place (the University of Manitoba campus) to provide additional service," Browaty said.

"What the Bombers have done is they?ve set up a whole network, they?ve gone really heavy into these park-and-rides (services). They?ve even, since they got that bus terminal built, they?ve gotten more involved in providing shuttles."

While the Winnipeg Football Club has decided to no longer chip in for the extra Transit buses needed during home games, it plans to continue operating its park and ride services, which provide round-trip transport from seven locations, for a fee.

-Ryan Thorpe

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/winnipeg-transit-predicts-growing-pains-for-bombers-fans-this-season-510536202.html

Interesting topic of discussion. From the Bombers' perspective, on one hand, they save money directly by not paying out for the buses and free fare home. On the other, they indirectly potentially lose money by people who are now more inconvenienced and thus less likely to attend games. For them, this could be a "final straw" for those who already hate having to bus to Fort Garry. And if there's a huge affect from having to go through the payment process to load a bus + longer waits due to less buses, that could have a ripple effect to the crowd that will say it's not worth it.

Hard to say until this plays out.

I agree with the part of the article that mentions the success of the park-and-rides and restaurant shuttle programs. I think those work great, at and 5 bucks + probably not having to pay a transit union OT wage, they probably have minimal losses on this investment. I wonder if there are cheap and easy ways to incentivize more restaurants to run a shuttle?

Overall though it's a loss for those who rely on the transit system solely for their transportation for games. Hopefully the impact is small or they are able to adjust by altering their method.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »

shoulda build the stadium downtown lol. What a mistake

[deleted]
Pigskin

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »

Where downtown???
blue girl

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »

Speaking as someone who lives downtown I have no idea where a stadium would go. Even Bell/MTS Place has been squeezed into a city block. As for the transit as someone who relies on transit to get around I'm wondering if there are going to be extra buses downtown after the game because if it's just the regular schedule at that time of night the buses run every 30 to 40 minutes and I might not get home until well after midnight. BTW I don't mind paying because I have a Peggo card but when people pay cash it really slows things down.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »

Forks? IDK. Downtown is mostly dead, drop a stadium anywhere down there, not much would be lost paving over a few square blocks.

[deleted]
the paw

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »

I don?t care about the cost, but loading after the game is going to be a nightmare as all the drunks try to find exact change.

Wpg transit should sell a bracelet good for free rides on game day, so you can just flash it as you board.  I?d buy one for sure.

grab grass 'n growl
gobombersgo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

For those that use the Park n Ride #4, it has moved from the Hydro building on Taylor to the Pony Coral Grant Park. This is due to upcoming construction on Taylor Ave.

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 11:17:30 PM »

it will be fine, buses are loaded all the time right to the capacity and fans will figure it out

real shame it's not free though

should be a special deal with the Bombers and City of Winnipeg

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
RebusRankin

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 12:23:13 AM »

I'm waiting for a reporter to tell us if True North pays Winnipeg Transit a subsidy for Jets games or concerts.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 12:30:22 AM »

This year's Transportation Plan to and from Bomber games is here:

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=51580.0

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »

I don?t care about the cost, but loading after the game is going to be a nightmare as all the drunks try to find exact change.

Wpg transit should sell a bracelet good for free rides on game day, so you can just flash it as you board.  I?d buy one for sure.
This is an idea that I would go for. I agree that the real problem is going to be people using cash. Even my Peggo card doesn't always scan right away. My guess is that the people who came up with this have never taken a bus.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:54:28 AM »

This is an idea that I would go for. I agree that the real problem is going to be people using cash. Even my Peggo card doesn't always scan right away. My guess is that the people who came up with this have never taken a bus.

agree, good idea

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:31:33 AM »

So the link above says riders will have to pay a fare going to the game....what about after - still a fare or is that free?
DM83

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 02:33:21 AM »

Well, just more support for. My opinion on IGF location as a pain in the ***.

Well back to the downtow idea,
Downtown, well we did lose a couple Parking lots.....
How about getting rid of the  white elephant Portage place.  Still maybe Not enough room.

Ok ...yeah the forks. 
I know they said something was to go in on the parking lots, but hey?

Also what about that undeveloped area on the south end of the forks?
Really reaching I. Know.

Oh well the BRT will be built, and the bus riders will be too cheap to pay the $200 fare each way!
Good,job planning City of Winnioeg

Whats the next shoe,to drop?
pjrocksmb

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 02:44:35 AM »

Well, just more support for. My opinion on IGF location as a pain in the ***.

Well back to the downtow idea,
Downtown, well we did lose a couple Parking lots.....
How about getting rid of the  white elephant Portage place.  Still maybe Not enough room.

Ok ...yeah the forks. 
I know they said something was to go in on the parking lots, but hey?

Also what about that undeveloped area on the south end of the forks?
Really reaching I. Know.

Oh well the BRT will be built, and the bus riders will be too cheap to pay the $200 fare each way!
Good,job planning City of Winnioeg

Whats the next shoe,to drop?

Rapid transit is a great idea and a game changer for transportation for the City of Winnipeg.  Ever hear of a little place called the U of M, just ten of thousands of students that benefit from BRT daily.  No biggie.

The location is fine and rapid transit will help improve the transportation to and from the game.

$200 fare each way? what are you talking about?

Yes the COW has done a great job in expanding our transit, the only thing bad is that it's taking so long.  Sam Katz can be blamed for that.

Try riding rapid transit before you knock it. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: