Blue Bombers Forum
September 19, 2019, 03:22:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bomber Transactions - May 18,2019  (Read 1505 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: May 18, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Horseman

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »

That was short lived for Rolland-Jones.
Leroy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:21:15 PM »

Steven Richardson is very interesting.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »

Steven Richardson is very interesting.

can you tell us more about him?

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Curling4Me

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »

Frank Sutton is my new favourite football player! Well besides Will Sutton lol

"Nobody sitting now in Winnipeg. Mcmanus for Amerson PICKED OFF ITS OVER NOW JURAN BOLDEN TOUCHDOWN WINNIPEG."
Chris Cuthbert
Leroy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »

can you tell us more about him?

Similar to Jerome Haywood.

Shorter, strong, quick DT

Made a lot of plays for the Gophers.

KINGCHARLES

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

Funny who would think that an AAF QB would be able to make a CFL roster most of their QB's were crap. We had 2 former 3rd and 4th string QB's that were starting QB's and backup QB's in the AAF.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
Maudie fingerjammer

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:24:51 PM »

If they were crap why would assume they could make a CFL roster?🤪
66 Chevelle

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »

Funny who would think that an AAF QB would be able to make a CFL roster most of their QB's were crap. We had 2 former 3rd and 4th string QB's that were starting QB's and backup QB's in the AAF.

then I bet you find it hilarious that 5 of the 8 starting QBs in the AAF when it folded have signed NFL deals... Manizel was the only starting QB in the league that had played in the CFL at the time the league folded... and besides Phillip Nelson and Alex Ross, neither of which played much, I can't think of any other AAF starting QB's that had actually played in the AAF that had previously played in the CFL...

I think at last count over 50 former AAF players have signed with NFL teams since the league has folded... while it goes without saying that not all of them will make an NFL roster, AR or PR, but that's still a pretty impressive number of players getting a second shot...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 02:22:27 AM »

then I bet you find it hilarious that 5 of the 8 starting QBs in the AAF when it folded have signed NFL deals

Yes, the AAF QBs weren't all crap.  However, how many "starters" did AAF sift through before they folded?  It seemed like they were switching QBs every quarter.  I'd guess 20 QBs "started" in AAF?  So NFL poached 25%, the best of the best?  For PR duty.  Not bad, but not stellar either.

None of the QBs looked like anyone I'd want to fire Nichols for.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 02:41:08 AM »

Yes, the AAF QBs weren't all crap.  However, how many "starters" did AAF sift through before they folded?  It seemed like they were switching QBs every quarter.  I'd guess 20 QBs "started" in AAF?  So NFL poached 25%, the best of the best?  For PR duty.  Not bad, but not stellar either.

None of the QBs looked like anyone I'd want to fire Nichols for.

most, if not all of the QBs getting a chance at QB were young, which was by design.. I don't think that QB play was evaluated in the same manner as what we would... these guys were struggling behind some less than stellar O lines, a lot were riddled with injuries... I think because of this they were judged more by could they be groomed for the position instead of being able to come into the NFL and make an immediate impact...

Birmingham's QB Luis Perez was a perfect example of this... when he had decent to good line play he showed he could make the throws, make the reads, work his progressions, and showed glimpses of his real potential...  keep in mind, these guys only had 30 days to create a team, learn their responsibilities and try to play as a cohesive unit...

but to your point, I wouldn't trade Nichols for any of them, at this point... Gilbert has a chance to play in the NFL if given the right opportunity... he definitely was the most consistent of the lot... but regardless, there were several that was getting a lot of 'buzz'... wasn't always sure what the hype was all about at times, if I'm being honest...

but at the end of the day, I really enjoyed the AAF and found it entertaining and hate that it ended... needless to say, I'm going to ride the XFL train and support that league as well, praying that Vince was paying attention...

TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 02:55:11 AM »

but at the end of the day, I really enjoyed the AAF and found it entertaining and hate that it ended... needless to say, I'm going to ride the XFL train and support that league as well, praying that Vince was paying attention...

Ya, I was getting into the AAF groove too.  It was almost like every team was an underdog  Wink  Well, except Apollo.

Hey 66, is the XFL giving you a "local" (nearby(ish)) team like AAF did?  Is LDW getting involved?  And I wonder if the CFLers like Bass and Wynn are heading to XFL too...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 03:29:54 AM »

Ya, I was getting into the AAF groove too.  It was almost like every team was an underdog  Wink  Well, except Apollo.

Hey 66, is the XFL giving you a "local" (nearby(ish)) team like AAF did?  Is LDW getting involved?  And I wonder if the CFLers like Bass and Wynn are heading to XFL too...

yes they are! St. Louis, MO... roughly 90 minutes or so from my front door...  it will be a heck of lot quicker and cheaper to get there than it was Birmingham! or Atlanta, San Deigo, Memphis... lol...  but I'll probably be a season ticket holder in St. Louis...

As far as LDW, if it was up to me, I'd love to see him play in St. Louis... but he's kind of at a crossroads... there has been interest but he turned 28 last week, we all know it's more of a young man's game and he has managed to avoid any real serious injuries... he really liked playing in the AAF and would have been content riding that as long as it lasted... he just loves the game... plus he's just a few classes short of getting his master's degree so he's working on that and has had some business opportunities come his way... he's had some talks about maybe coaching as well... but for now, he's going to school and still working out everyday and feels he know what to do when the right opportunity is in front of him...

I think you'll see a lot of ex-CFLer's and AAFer's dotted through out the league... Bass played pretty well in the AAF, there will be opportunity for him in the XFL... I really followed the AAF and I'm curious to see how many players land with another team, whether that be the NFL, CFL, or the XFL... the players got a pretty raw deal there at the end with Dundon locking up shop on them with only 2 games left...   the lastest story going around is that Ebersol was furiously looking for new investors to replace Dundon, Dundon caught wind of it and decided to just shut down operations before they could get new investors...  like I said, I hope Vince has been paying close attention to the going's on and learned something...

but hey, if you ever decide that you would like to come to Missouri and catch a St. Louis XFL game, I'd be more than happy to be your host and take you to a game! even though it's still cold in Missouri in Feb/Mar, it won't matter because they will be playing indoors...  Grin

DM83

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 06:22:15 AM »

There are a lot of good football players. Out there.
The QBs had what the NFL wanted to see.  Pro style coverage and if the QB could adjust.  The QBs wouldn't get thise reps in an NFL camp. 

Other players on the cusp would benefit the most.  but that's the  same as in CFL.  Only a bit more security up here, if they want it.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 12:42:40 PM »

There are a lot of good football players. Out there.
The QBs had what the NFL wanted to see.  Pro style coverage and if the QB could adjust.  The QBs wouldn't get thise reps in an NFL camp. 

Other players on the cusp would benefit the most.  but that's the  same as in CFL.  Only a bit more security up here, if they want it.

the thing I'm going to miss the most about the AAF is fan experience and how accessible players and coaches were... that, and I got to know a lot of player family members and you would get to the point where you were really rooting for these guys... playing in smaller, non NFL type of venues really afforded a fan to be up close to what was going on and afforded you an opportunity to even interact with players and coaches a like before game or after game...

it reminded me a lot of the CFL in that sense, last year at the Banjo Bowl I was sitting on the Bomber side of the field, down in the corner in row 1... so when it was half time everybody came right in front of where I was sitting when headed to the locker room... Poop didn't dress for that game but was on the sidelines and when he came by where I was sitting I hollered at, said 'hey, hope you get back on the field soon, miss ya out there'... he smiled, threw up a hand and said 'thx'... well after halftime when everyone was coming back out for warm ups, again they all crossed in front of where I was sitting and Poop looked up at me, noticed what I had in my hands and hollered, 'hey, is that some of those mini donuts?'... I said 'yeah'... 'can I have a few?'... 'sure'... he can over to me, I passed him my bag, he took a hand full, stood there for a minute or so making small talk and then went about his business... he's a big personality, and funny...

would something like that ever happen at an NFL game... pretty sure the answer is 'never'...

When Birmingham played Memphis I was sitting in row 1 at about the 40 or 45 yard line... Memphis played in a college stadium and you sat right up next to the field, there was a short wall, maybe 4 or 5 feet and then the railing, but anyway... after pre game warm ups Coach Lewis was heading back into the locker room and of course I had to holler at him as he was walking by... I had actually met him the week before at one of their home games after the game as I was leaving he was standing outside of the stadium talking to some people, he noticed me and my tribe all decked out in our Iron gear, stopped talking to the guy he was with, looked at us and started walking towards us while we were walking and put out his hand and said "really appreciate the fan support" and shook my hand and then went back to his conversation... so the following week as he was trotting by, I hollered 'Coach', he looked over and smiled and waved and I said 'hey, 17 early and often tonight' and laughed... he stopped came over to me and said laughingly, 'I know, right?' and gave me a fist bump and turned and preceded along on his way...

had countless other little experiences through out the season but probably the most surprising was Trent Richardson... such a pleasant and engaging person, especially given all the flack he would catch from opposing fans... always smiling... would talk to fans, and in a genuine way... really down to earth guy... I was really rooting for him to do good, but well, you know how that would go... but still, very up beat and seemed really happy to be there and playing...  opposing fans would start chanting "2 yard Trent, 2 yard Trent", which has to get old after a while, so I'd holler at him and say, 'Trent, just go out there and do what you do' and he would always look back and give ya a smile or a nod...

but like the CFL, you didn't have a bunch of prima donnas running around... super fan friendly... and projected an attitude that they appreciated the opportunity to play and fans coming out to support them... all very approachable and happy to interact when it was feasible... a lot of little things, and it's not like I became best buds with any of them where he text or email each other, lol... but it really elevated the game day experience for the common fan.... going to miss that...

I hope all of them land on their feet somewhere and are able to continue doing what they love...

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: