Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2020, 01:58:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Main Training Camp  (Read 25219 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »

I think Demski has a to have a very big year this year. Harris is still one of the best RB's in the league, so until he starts to decline or gets injured I don't see him being replaced. But we do have Petermann, Oliv, and Augustine waiting for there chance.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2019, 08:54:20 PM »

I think Demski has a to have a very big year this year. Harris is still one of the best RB's in the league, so until he starts to decline or gets injured I don't see him being replaced. But we do have Petermann, Oliv, and Augustine waiting for there chance.

what Harris does, especially at the level in which he does it, is almost super human... while he had fewer receptions last year he had more rushing attempts for total touches of 297!  I thought 2017 was high at 294 total touches yet he exceed that... at 32 though, I'm not sure how long even he can survive with 300 touches per year...

and it's not only the number of touches, but he gets a lot of extra contact on most touches because of his ability to stay up and moving...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2019, 09:52:09 PM »

I know, right? lol.... HOPEFULLY he learned a little from last year... fingers crossed...

running a successful zone coverage is a lot harder to do consistently with than most think, especially given the size of a CFL field...

He's been using that technique since he's been in Winnipeg. So I doubt it changes completely. Maybe with the new talent we get more aggressive but I'm not counting on it.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2019, 10:48:45 AM »

I watched a couple of games from last year over the weekend and I have to say Loffler's presence in both games was large, as was JSK's.  Not only was he playing tight to the box helping out against the run a lot, he was also administering licks from sideline to sideline that opposing players were well aware were coming.  It would be nice to assume Jones/Hecht can replace him but I just don't think they will be able to come close to matching the true physical presence he brought to the middle of the field.  For those who think he was weak defending against passes thrown to the sidelines and corners, I have to question whether that was even his role.  We shall see.

Great post.  I rewatched a lot of old games in the offseason too.  Loffler made some great INTs, often in the right place at the right time.  And he continued to scare receivers even after the 2-year neutering by the CFL.  And he stopped the runs that got past everyone else, really helping our cause of eliminating explosive run plays.

But I'm really ready to see a FS in WPG that can be in frame for the deep balls helping out the CBs so that the big BLM and M.Reilly plays can often be double-covered.  You know, like every other decent FS out there... Loffler was literally in the picture for about, oh, zero of those plays in '18.  He seemed incapable of guessing where the ball was going and/or speeding to its destination.

Your last question is precisely the point... perhaps Loffler was never supposed to be that type of FS.  Perhaps it wasn't him, perhaps it was RH/MOS dictating his play.  In that sense, it will be great fun watching Loffler play in MTL to see if they let him play a more traditional FS role; and seeing if he can excel at it.

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »

Nice day for the team to be off.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »

Great post.  I rewatched a lot of old games in the offseason too.  Loffler made some great INTs, often in the right place at the right time.  And he continued to scare receivers even after the 2-year neutering by the CFL.  And he stopped the runs that got past everyone else, really helping our cause of eliminating explosive run plays.

But I'm really ready to see a FS in WPG that can be in frame for the deep balls helping out the CBs so that the big BLM and M.Reilly plays can often be double-covered.  You know, like every other decent FS out there... Loffler was literally in the picture for about, oh, zero of those plays in '18.  He seemed incapable of guessing where the ball was going and/or speeding to its destination.

Your last question is precisely the point... perhaps Loffler was never supposed to be that type of FS.  Perhaps it wasn't him, perhaps it was RH/MOS dictating his play.  In that sense, it will be great fun watching Loffler play in MTL to see if they let him play a more traditional FS role; and seeing if he can excel at it.

The Als would be dumb to try to reprogram him, he's good in the role he plays which takes advantage of his size.  They should also allow him to manage his own body as he sees fit, he's remained remarkably healthy for a player that came into the league with serious injury concerns.
Blue In BC

« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »

Nice day for the team to be off.

No point practicing until we make all the cuts which happens tomorrow. Some decisions should be fairly easy. Others may be more difficult but still need to be made.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2019, 04:16:01 PM »

We never practice the day after a game anyway, but today is extremely hot and humid.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  

Jump to: