Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2020, 08:15:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Main Training Camp  (Read 25235 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2019, 04:36:11 PM »

Our Canadian talent is pretty good. There seems to be a lot of potential in the new additions. Every year there will be questions about the back ups stepping up to replace departing starters.

It's too early to say they won't be successful but it's something we'll have to watch closely to see the progress.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #241 on: June 06, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »

I agree BC and Montreal paid a lot to get Chungh and Loffler. Goossen retired.
rubanski

« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »

Seriously. Next time you wanna harp on our front office for their draft and develop track record, go compare it to some of the other front offices in this league. The top 3 since Walters has become GM are Winnipeg, Calgary and Ottawa (that's not in order, I'm not going to argue for or against that) AINEC. Better yet, go look at the Canadian rosters on every other team in the CFL and tell me which ones you'd take over Winnipeg. I'll wait.

Hit the nail on the head Mike. Thanks taking time to give specific examples (that's a friendly pot-shot at you KKc60, who did not give specific examples in your respoonse).

The criticism is about losing all 3 all star draft picks we've had since 2014 in the same off season. No, we couldn't have done anything about Goosen, but we could have done something about the other two.

Every team has its hits and misses. The problem is that most of our hits are now gone. Maybe the new starters will all turn out to be as good as the all stars they replace and maybe not, but you can't call the new starters hits until they show they are.

Tburg, the problem is the standard you're setting. The drafts we don't have the "hits" you're looking for don't exist.

Walters was, in your opinion good for a few years. So 2014 - 2016? You're happy with those?

2017 - the draft was garbage. Almost every first round picks SUCKED. We have Gray stepping in to a starting role. A bonafide NFL talent. Seems like Walters accomplished your high standard here. We could have had Judge. The rest are terrible.

2018 - We have Wolitasky instead of a 1st rounder, and used Round 2 & 3 to get simonize and Petermann. So, imo a solid stable of CDN receivers capable of filling a starting role, if not two starting spots.  Seems like this draft was good to me.

2019 - Irrelevant right now. Impossible to grade a blessed thing.

Further to your comments on the all-stars:
1. KW gets a pass on Goosen
2. Loffler wanted a bidding war no matter what - and went to the most desperate bidder. (see you later loser)
3. Chungh got top dollar. KW has a rock solid, deep and talented pool of young, cheap, OL to compete for the newly vacated position.

I'm not trying to pour everyone a glass of "PJ's special Blue and Gold Kool-aid" for everyone. I just don't see where KW hasn't been doing a bang up job on the drafting and developing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:52:11 PM by rubanski » Logged
rubanski

« Reply #243 on: June 06, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »

Again, no one said our Canadian talent isn't good.

Also, who paid a premium besides for Chungh? Maybe Loffler too but wasn't the interest low?

Loffler wanted record breaking money for a NAT safety. Way more than Pruneau is getting (if I recall correctly).

Not sure where his contract landed, but didn't seem too interested in sticking around. Reminds me of Henoc Muamba.
kkc60

« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »

Loffler wanted record breaking money for a NAT safety. Way more than Pruneau is getting (if I recall correctly).

Not sure where his contract landed, but didn't seem too interested in sticking around. Reminds me of Henoc Muamba.
I don't mind not paying for him
theaardvark

« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2019, 04:49:00 PM »

Loffler was treated amazingly well here, rested so he could play, etc... it will be interesting to see if MTL treats him the same, and if he has any injury issues this year. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »

Loffler was treated amazingly well here, rested so he could play, etc... it will be interesting to see if MTL treats him the same, and if he has any injury issues this year. 
Yes thats so nice of us to keep him fresh. Most teams like to not keep their players fresh
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »

I watched a couple of games from last year over the weekend and I have to say Loffler's presence in both games was large, as was JSK's.  Not only was he playing tight to the box helping out against the run a lot, he was also administering licks from sideline to sideline that opposing players were well aware were coming.  It would be nice to assume Jones/Hecht can replace him but I just don't think they will be able to come close to matching the true physical presence he brought to the middle of the field.  For those who think he was weak defending against passes thrown to the sidelines and corners, I have to question whether that was even his role.  We shall see.
Pigskin

« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »

If KW signed Chungh and Loffler, we probably don't get Jefferson, or Matthews.
kkc60

« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »

If KW signed Chungh and Loffler, we probably don't get Jefferson, or Matthews.
This is true. And also why we can't afford to rely on Harris and Demski-esque signings year in and year out. Because if we don't develop our own players and have starters in years 2 and 3 of their rookie deals, we will have to pay big prices for guys like Chungh and Loffler
66 Chevelle

« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »

the best that anyone can say is that the whole draft process is a crap shoot... not one specific only to the CFL, look no further than to big brother, the mega billion dollar operation with more than enough resources to find future talent that isn't even born yet... they still make multi-million dollar mistakes each year in the draft...

but honestly, I think our front office does a pretty admirable job in player acquisition...  at the end of the day do you really care that you drafted someone, develop them for 2 or 3 years at $80K-$100K, and will probably see very limited amount of snaps, if any, or pick up a third year player out of free agency and have to pay them $150K per year that is ready to go?

I get it, it's bit of a pride thing to say you discovered and developed a talent, but the reality of today's game is you are not likely to be able to retain that talent in most cases, unless it happens to be a local boy...

even though every team is in the same boat, it is an almost impossible task to consistently field a top quality team year in and year out given the circumstances involved with player contracts and the amount of money available to sign players...

wasn't an early fan of KW but have grown to like and respect him... and overall, there does seem to be a method to his madness... that, are he just gets **** lucky at times, lol... and I don't really care which it is...  Grin

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue girl

« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2019, 07:53:15 PM »

I think that we've done well with our drafting. Yes the OL are a question mark right now but let's give them a chance. The one area that concerns me is DB. If Hecht is going to be the starting safety IMO that is a fail.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:39 PM »

I think that we've done well with our drafting. Yes the OL are a question mark right now but let's give them a chance. The one area that concerns me is DB. If Hecht is going to be the starting safety IMO that is a fail.

to me the O line is the hardest component on a team to build because you are only as good as your weakest player... finding 5 guys with enough talent is one thing but getting them to gel and play good together as a unit can be tough as well... not easy answer there...

as far as the DBs, if we don't play that soft zone crap I think we are alright... good zone requires a DB to have a higher football IQ and a lot more discipline in coverage... you may get beat on man coverage from time to time but not like you in zone if you have DB that don't know their responsibilities...

Blue In BC

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »

to me the O line is the hardest component on a team to build because you are only as good as your weakest player... finding 5 guys with enough talent is one thing but getting them to gel and play good together as a unit can be tough as well... not easy answer there...

as far as the DBs, if we don't play that soft zone crap I think we are alright... good zone requires a DB to have a higher football IQ and a lot more discipline in coverage... you may get beat on man coverage from time to time but not like you in zone if you have DB that don't know their responsibilities...

If R Hall is still using that soft zone stuff again this season I'm going to lose all my hair.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »

If R Hall is still using that soft zone stuff again this season I'm going to lose all my hair.

I know, right? lol.... HOPEFULLY he learned a little from last year... fingers crossed...

running a successful zone coverage is a lot harder to do consistently with than most think, especially given the size of a CFL field...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18
  Print  

Jump to: