Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2020, 12:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Main Training Camp  (Read 28733 times)
Jesse

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »

Is it just me or shouldn't the player lists handed out be numerical and not alphabetical ? You see a great play on the field and it's crazy trying to find them on the sheets handed out before the next play.

They handed out both today. It was super convenient.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »

Notes From Camp | Day 1 Recap - Ed Tait

HEAD COUNT:

The Bombers training camp roster features 93 names, not including the non-counters like the three Winnipeg Rifles players - LB Cole Sneesby, RB Brandon Urcluoli and DB Troy Wilson - and CFL/U Sports QB Apprentice Sawyer Buettner of the University of Ottawa.

The Bombers did make a couple of moves with their receiving corps on Sunday, suspending Kenbrell Thompkins and releasing Josh Stewart. Thompkins started 12 games for the club last year, but was suspended because management has not been able to contact him after repeated attempts.

The team also added RB John Santiago, who played his college ball at North Dakota alongside Bombers 2019 CFL Draft pick Brady Oliveira.  Santiago had rookie-camp looks from the Minnesota Vikings and Atlanta Falcons after rushing for more than 3,700 yards and 29 TDs in his four years at UND.

THE LOCALS:

Bombers training camp is loaded with local products who played their high school or college ball here: Andrew Harris, Oliveira, Nic Demski, Thomas Miles, Geoff Gray, Abu Conteh, DJ Lalama, Tariq Lachance and Dylan Schrot.

KEEP AN EYE ON:

The Bombers have a vacancy at the weak-side linebacker spot after Jovan Santos-Knox signed with the Edmonton Eskimos this offseason. That leaves Kyrie Wilson as the front-runner to replace him.

"Kyrie has been in the ranks," said Bighill. "He's been learning, he's been working hard, he's been focused. I love the way he prepares and approaches the game. From there it's his time to show he can do it and I'm going to be right there helping him. I'm excited to see what he can do."

The rest of Ed's article can be read here!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:05:29 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
NewBlue

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 10:42:22 PM »

I love that we have local flavour on the team, and not just sideline guys, but legit CFL players.

Who was the 3rd Winnipeg guy lastyear (or 2 yaers ago?) that scored a TD in 1 game...Harris, Demski & ??

Would love to see Gray carve out a career now.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:58 PM »

Josh Stewart transferred from Active Roster to Retired
Derek Jones transferred from Injured Vet to Active Roster
gobombersgo

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 11:56:22 PM »

Josh Stewart transferred from Active Roster to Retired
Derek Jones transferred from Injured Vet to Active Roster
Jones was out there at practice today. I'm not sure why he was put on the injured vet list to begin with as he was able to practice meanwhile guys like Briggs, Alexander and Harris didn't.

gobombersgo

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 12:11:47 AM »

Darren Cameron. @Darren_Cameron
#Bombers will now practice  10:40 a.m. - 12:30pm tomorrow at IG Field. Open to fans!

TecnoGenius

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 02:16:38 AM »

I love that we have local flavour on the team, and not just sideline guys, but legit CFL players.

Who was the 3rd Winnipeg guy lastyear (or 2 yaers ago?) that scored a TD in 1 game...Harris, Demski & ??

LaFrance was our 3rd "big name" local boy.  Thomas Miles on ST & D is local too.  I think that's all of them?

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »

LaFrance was our 3rd "big name" local boy.  Thomas Miles on ST & D is local too.  I think that's all of them?

Conteh is also a Wpg. boy, add Oliveira, Gray, Lachance and Lalama, I'm guessing the local representation hasn't been this deep in over 50 years.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 02:40:09 AM »

Conteh is also a Wpg. boy, add Oliveira, Gray, Lachance and Lalama, I'm guessing the local representation hasn't been this deep in over 50 years.
I don't ever recall this many local boys on the team.....a testament to the football programs in Winnipeg!   I'm really pulling for Oliveira....he looks like a gamer!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »

I don't ever recall this many local boys on the team.....a testament to the football programs in Winnipeg!   I'm really pulling for Oliveira....he looks like a gamer!

You'd probably have to go back to the time before they allowed imports, most likely every player was local.
DM83

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 06:48:49 AM »

Probably 1950s,and 1970's
Protected. Territorial oicks helped.
I was either too young then and to old  now to remember now! Lol!
60's Pembina Hotel. Owner druxman, Schapanski brothers,?
In the 70s, - Ezerins, Rosolowich,   Rick Koswin, Lee Benard, Bob Toogood, McIver, pattison, Kraemer, McKee,,Walby,, Mikowas,
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 09:33:10 PM »

Notes From Camp | Day 2 Recap - Ed Tait

The Bombers wrapped up Day 2 of training camp in front of a good Victoria Day crowd at IG Field.

Here are today's collection of notes and quotes from Monday?s session...

LOOKING GOOD, QB1:

Bombers starting QB Matt Nichols has spoken over the last few days of camp about feeling the best he's felt in years, especially after going through a rigorous offseason training program and having that many more months to heal up the knee he injured at the beginning of 2018.

Chris Streveler was asked after practice Monday how Nichols looks to him.

"Well, he's got a visor on and so he looks a lot cooler," said Streveler with a chuckle. "He's been doing well. I got up here a couple of days early and we were just throwing around with him and he looks really good. He's been in this league for a long time. He knows what he's doing out here. He's really comfortable and comfortable in the playbook and everything like that.

"He looks great. It's really fun getting to go into the film room and out on the field every day and work with him. We have that relationship from last year where now we're kind of on the same page with things... we'll bounce back and forth with 'what were you seeing there?' and talk about it.

"It's really nice having that relationship with him and he's somebody I definitely respect who's been in this league and been doing it at a high level for a long time."

FYI:

The Bombers starting O-line unit featured Stanley Bryant and Jermarcus Hardrick at tackles, with the interior manned by Michael Couture at centre, Drew Desjarlais at left guard and Geoff Gray at right guard. Cody Speller also took a lot of turns at centre.

Pat Neufeld, the starting left guard, has not practised during the first two days along with running back Andrew Harris and defensive back Brandon Alexander. Head coach Mike O'Shea said he expects the trio to be healthy and on the field soon.

"He doesn't need the work, either," said O'Shea of Harris. "Obviously, he wants it. Certainly we've got enough tailbacks in camp and enough competition. You have hard enough time spreading out and getting guys enough touches, so sitting him down, our choice, for a few days or however and it's not a bad thing for this camp."

MORE PRAISE:

Here's O'Shea on RB Brady Oliveira, the Winnipeg product who was selected in the second round of this year?s CFL Draft:

"As advertised. He's smart. He's strong. He's thick, he's fast, he's got very quick feet. I think he's going to adjust extremely well."

TAKE NOTE:

Among those fielding punts on Monday as potential return candidates were receivers Lucky Whitehead, Charles Nelson and Daniel Petermann and defensive back Mike Jones.

GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION, PART DEUX:

Chris Matthews continues to make one spectacular catch after another and has been arguably the best player on the field over the first two days. And, as was the case after Day 1, Matthews was part of a group that stayed on the field for quite a while afterward to catch passes from the Jugs machine.

"I looked over there earlier and Willie Jefferson was over there with a bunch of defensive guys," said O'Shea. "We've got to get more Jugs machines out here, I guess, because the guys are going to be working hard. It's going to make for long afternoons for you guys (media) because there are a lot of guys putting a lot of extra time in after practice.

"I love the leadership. I see a lot of commitment to excellence out here."

STANDING OUT:

WR Chris Matthews, DE Willie Jefferson, WR Lucky Whitehead, DB Chris Humes, RB Brady Oliveira, RT Jermarcus Hardrick, LT Stanley Bryant.

DL Jonathan Kongbo, the Bombers second first-round draft pick (5th overall), is here, but not participating in practice yet. The University of Tennessee product suffered an ACL tear last October in a game against Auburn.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/20/notes-camp-day-2-recap/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 12:37:51 AM »

Notes from Camp | Day 3 Recap - Ed Tait

The Bombers wrapped up Day 3 of training camp Tuesday. Here are our daily collection of notes and quotes from the session....

SECONDARY FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The Bombers have some holes to fill in the secondary after the departures of Chris Randle (Ottawa), Kevin Fogg (Toronto) and Taylor Loffler (Montreal) in free agency.

Camp is just three days old, but the new faces who stood out at the free-agent camp in Florida last month, coupled with the addition of Winston Rose and the continuing development of Chris Humes, gives the Bombers a number of options in their defensive backfield.

Rose, who started 18 games for the B.C. Lions last year and tied for the team lead in interceptions with five, has been solid since camp opened and was particularly noticeable on Tuesday.

"I feel great. Coming in and just contributing to the team... great environment, great people, great coaches. I just feel love. I feel like I'm at home," said Rose.

"Last year was a big step for me because I felt like I actually started making a name for myself and people started recognizing me. Last year what I did was just a stepping stone in just showing who Winston Rose is. Coming in to Winnipeg and seeing what they did last year with just one game short of the Grey Cup, I just feel like me contributing to the team will help us get there and win us one."

ACRONYMS 'R US:

Rose used a couple of acronyms in his session with the media after practice, one that comes from defensive coordinator Richie Hall - 'GBT: Get Better Together'; The other - 'PVO: Positive Vibes Only' - is his own.

"That's the type of player I am," Rose said. "I'm very enthusiastic. I like to have energy because I feel like energy is contagious. Great energy... PVO - Positive Vibes Only - and it just trickles down. If you're out here having fun, everybody else is having fun. It's contagious.

"This is just a great environment. This team is like a family. Everybody interacts with each other from the coaches to general manager out there watching us practice... just having that family-oriented feel and I'm big on family and this is like a family team."

COMMUNICATION/LEADERSHIP:

One more on Rose, this from head coach Mike O'Shea:  "I thought today was a real slick practice for him. It seemed like he covered well, he runs well and you can hear him out there getting the chatter going. He was quite noticeable today."

That prompted a question about communication and how that can often be seen as part of leadership. Both Randle and Loffler were adept at handling that in years past.

"There were a few guys we don't have any more that could run practice pretty well, so we need a couple guys to step up," said O?Shea. "It takes time, though."

And when O'Shea was asked about that leadership coming by committee or from a particular player, the inquisitor hadn't even finished with his question when the coach offered up Brandon Alexander's name without hesitation, adding "He's the guy."

The rest of Ed Tait's article on Day 3 is here!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:54:39 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

booch

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »

Some of my observations from camp yesterday..

Appears to be a 2 man competition for the slot that Dressler vacated between C. Washington and R. Bailey...both seem to have the waggle mastered and look very smooth and precise with their route running...Bailey seems to be faster, but Washington offers the bigger body and familiarity..the rest of the group are good, but these guys are head and shoulders above in my opinion...a dark horse to me could be Kenny Walker...nice hands...nice routes...fast in space and just something about him....Looks like Denmark out there

Simonese looks poised to have a break-out...works super hard in all facets of the drills, very focused and engaged and I think the maturity happening and the vets around him are really rubbing off on him. He seems faster than last year and for a big bodied guy very agile and quick...and love his catching ability, catches everyting with his hands and has been coached well somewhere down the line...with him Demski and Woli our National receivers are looking good..Peterman to me is good...but not Simonesegood or has more potential...He is constantly using his body to make catches and only uses his hands if thats the only way to catch ball not thrown directly at him. Doesn't seem to work as hard or be as engaged as the others either

Oliviera has impressed...he has great hands and can be just as good as a weapon out of the backfield as Harris and is a solid runner...gets the ball and heads up field..he is going to be good..Same can be said of Augustine..had some nice runs...looked good receiving and he its line hard and is all business running straight up field. If both are not on roster I would be shocked and should be at the expense of John Rush (who is not participating at moment) Either one will offer more in offense and backing up Harris and Augustine can fill the role on ST's...not sure if they have used Oliviera on teams yet. My surprise tho at camp was Santiago out of UND...Great hands, super agile and fast and when he has ball in his hands is making guys miss left right and center..get him in space and he will be a pian in arse for teams...one play i watched he juked and jump stepped about 3-4 times and caused Choujda to roll an ankle...not sure how we roster him, but I bet he gets PR'd...he's good...and he does returns

Lucky and Nelson appear to be competing for one spot on the roster, both are quick and shifty as heck, but Lucky appears to have more outright speed and if he gets just a little seam..he's gone...he gets to top speed pretty quick..Nelson is more polished receiver, but Lucky has shown no signs of being a poor receiver..so this decision will be interesting especially as Lucky is the better returner

Our d-line is gonna be a beast..Jefferson is flat out good..Jeffcoat too and Bryant is a beast, and very agile for a big dude, Nevis appears to be in even better shape than last year and quicker too, but I think him and Roh better be looking over their shoulder. Richardson out of Minnesota is a force..just and utter tank and man is he impressive...power as I have not seen at a DT here in ages..man handled pretty much whomever he faced and his shorter stature and low center of gravity really allows him drive through the line...plus he is fast...he would be a real force coming off the edge too...so I wouldn't be shocked if he takes Nevis spot, or takes Roh's DI spot seeing as we have Kongbo chomping at the bit...you can see the guys just wanting to get in there...mimicking the moves, and right up close taking it all in...and he is a specimen as well...

No issues with our o-line with whomever gets in there...Eli looked really good...no sign of missing any  ball with that guy, had a series in skeli where he manhandled Griffiths, then on next play #97 and on next play just pancaked Jake Thomas...and in the 0ne on ones the only guy to really have his way with him was Richardson, but he did with basically everyone. Gray has looked good as well..very athletic and get downfield to clobber guys like Yoshi does...Speller didn't look outta place either, and Couture looked fine...same as always but these young guys seem to have a bit more to them..I see Bryant, Neufeld, Gray and Hardrick as the for sure guys, and if Eli keeps on keeping on dont be shocked if he starts, if they feel he not totally ready wouldn't be shocked if he is the 6th o lineman...he was a steal this draft. That being said they may start the season with Couture as he is familiar with things and would help with continuity but he shouldn't get too comfortable.

Losing Randle and Loffler is gonna be a non issue..Winston rose is a baller...he's good and made play after play...the only time I seen him beat was a down the rail long shot to Matthews where you couldn't cover any better, but man that Matthews is good, and he just went up and took the ball cause thats what he does...he is gonna be a beast for us.
Jones as well, great in coverage and fast and makes reads and breaks on the ball very nicely, and I can see our defense doing a lot of things based on this. Gaitor  as well was lights out, and Fenner seems to be the swiss army knife who can play all the spots and is a lot faster than I remembered. As for new guys Boynton stood out to me..makes quick reads and closes fast, same with Este..smart guy and good cover skills....Humes too....looking as good or better than last year. A secondary/and SAM of Rose, Alexander, Jones, Sayles and Fenner and one of Humes/Boynton or Este wont surprise me

Not much to say on the linebackers as didn't pay much attention though did notice Dale Warren as a solidly built guy with athletisim

GCn19

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »

Excellent observations Booch!! Think you can take the next couple weeks off and attend the rest of camp?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: