Blue Bombers Forum
July 07, 2020, 05:21:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Main Training Camp  (Read 25352 times)
Blue72

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »

If Walters could sign Simonise and Wolitarsky to a contract extension now so we know they will be here for a couple more years he could maybe bump Demski as a backup with Petermann and maybe Whitehead.
A lineup that I would like to see would be:
Adams 6'2/203,  Simonise 6'4/200,  Bailey 6'2/200,  Wolitarsky 6'2/223, and Matthews 6'5/240.
All these guys have good hands, size, height and speed.
Nichols/Streveller won't know where to go first especially with Harris in the back field and the other good Nat RBs. With this group you could sent anyone deep which the defense would have problems with.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:46:38 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »

If Walters could sign Simonise and Wolitarsky to a contract extension now so we know they will be here for a couple more years he could maybe bump Demski as a backup with Petermann and maybe Whitehead.
Adams 6'2/203,  Simonise 6'4/200,  Bailey 6'2/200,  Wolitarsky 6'2/223, and Matthews 6'5/240.
Nichols/Streveller won't know where to go first especially with Harris in the back field and the other good Nat RBs. With this group you could sent anyone deep which the defense would have problems with.

No offence, but I hope we don?t take such a one dimensional approach. I?m happy we finally have some tall receivers to win the 50/50s, but Demski adds speed and agility and complements our height and power tools.

In the scenario described, Wolitarsky is actually the weak link and wouldn?t see anything.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
DM83

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2019, 10:34:45 AM »

On a championship team you need good fourth and fifth options at receiver..
That's why those unsung heroes arise in championships.  The top receivers are covered by the top DBS. So it's a possible "saw-off"

But the fourth best or fifth best secondary guys have to match up.  Amd quite often the receivers are better and that team wins the cup..

Ideally everyone gets at least five balls a game. If that stat happens it usually equals a win, plus the run game would be opened up as well, Defense. Kept off the field and again we score they don't type games.=Championship.

I have it all worked out! Lol!
Waffler

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »

Simonise is tall for sure but he weighs like 90 pounds. 200 seems a gross exaggeration.  I took in a couple training camp sessions so far and have seen no evidence he is ready to start. Lots of guys looking good at receiver this camp though, a good problem to have.

As for Lapo being one dimensional, Chris Matthews called him a genius in today's Free Press. I'm thinking we will see LOTS of Matthews this season.

Matthews played for Bombers offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice during his rookie season, and he recalled how creative he was back then. Now that he?s had the chance to see the playbook for this season, he?s even more impressed with the potential it brings the offence.

"He?s a genius," Matthews said. "He knows what he?s doing, and it shows when you get out on the field. He?s definitely a good coach and I?m excited to come back and work with him again."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:59:47 PM by Waffler » Logged

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »

I don't think Simonise will be taking Demski starting spot anytime this year unless Demski is injured.  Simonise has to beat out Petermann first.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 01:44:39 PM »

Notes from Camp | Day 4 Recap - Ed Tait

The Bombers wrapped up Day 4 of training camp on Wednesday. Here are our daily collection of notes and quotes from the session...

HIGH PRAISE:

Adam Bighill doesn't nuance things when it comes to his job in the middle of the Bombers defence. He's a seek-and-destroy linebacker who leads by his actions on the field and expects those around him to follow.

And so when the veteran defender declares that the talent assembled on the defensive side of the ball at camp is one the best he's been around in his seven years in the Canadian Football League, that serves a bold and telling statement.

"This is one of the most talented camps I've been around as far as the rookies we've brought in, the draft picks we've brought in," said Bighill. "I'm very impressed with what these guys have been able to do out here."

Bighill pointed to the team's continuity on a defence that will return eight regular starters and 13 players who made at least one start. Every team faces change in the offseason, but that continuity - including on the defensive coaching staff - can be critical.

"We've got a lot of talent in this camp and that's what's exciting to see," said Bighill. "We've got a lot of competition going on. The rookies are learning at a fast pace and we?re working extremely hard. We're working hard to get better and we're starting at a high level because of the continuity we already have in our defensive room."

Asked if any of the new guys in particular is jumping out, Bighill said he could name a lot of guys and then referenced draft picks Connor Griffiths and Tariq Lachance along with import defensive tackle Steven Richardson and then said that in the secondary "we're always making plays."

THE EVIDENCE:

One more from Bighill, when asked for the signs that indicate this camp is heavy in defensive talent compared to others he attended: "The things that separate are guys winning their one-on-one battles. When you've got guys on the defensive side winning at a high rate, a lot more than they would lose across the board, that tells you that guys are doing well. When you've got guys not making mistakes because they've been in their playbook and they know what they're doing, that allows them to play at a fast level and allows them to showcase their talent. Those are the things we're seeing."

WEIGHING IN:

Bombers coach Mike O'Shea was asked about three receivers in particular after practice on Wednesday. His take:

On Nic Demski: "He's won and he's scored touchdowns so far and in our limited number of practices so far, he looks good. He's found the end zone and gotten by guys. He's very athletic. That's his potential. He's certainly playing up to it and I think he'll just get better and better."

On Corey Washington: "Fast, long, strong hands, high-points the football and can win. For any young guy, and a guy being in his second year, the game slows down a little bit so he should be right more often and as with any offence, you've got to be right out there to get the football. He's going to be right more often this year and it's showing a little bit early."

On Rasheed Bailey: "I really liked him down in Tampa. He was one of a group of guys that stood out and he still does. I don't know if you timed how fast he is... he's fast, he's not slow, but he seems to play with a high level of speed. He understands the 'Waggle', he catches the ball well and for a guy getting his first taste of it he's right more often than not."

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
booch

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 01:45:38 PM »

I don't think he has to beat out Peterman to see the field...he is the better receiver from what I see...and Honestly I doubt Peterman is even here next yr anyway

Also Simonese has been taking reps in the slot as well as outside, and has looked good in doing it, and has more reliable hands
PurpleReign

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »

I don't think Simonise will be taking Demski starting spot anytime this year unless Demski is injured.  Simonise has to beat out Petermann first.

I will still say it, I think in the long run Petermann will be better than Simonise and have way better career. I am excited to see if the Bombers use him better than they have and give him more opportunities.  He is a real gem.
Knocker42

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »

Undoubtedly, Demski has talent.  However, he will need to be much more consistent this season or he will feel heat from some of the young Canadians.  It is a good place to be when a decent incumbent is being pushed.  It is still early but we do seem to have upgraded our back-up strength all over the field.
GCn19

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 02:58:29 PM »

Undoubtedly, Demski has talent.  However, he will need to be much more consistent this season or he will feel heat from some of the young Canadians.  It is a good place to be when a decent incumbent is being pushed.  It is still early but we do seem to have upgraded our back-up strength all over the field.

If Demski hasn't learned to secure the ball he may be sitting a lot earlier than next year. Both Petermann and Simonise are nipping on his heels as it is.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
PurpleReign

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »

Please don't put him on kickoff returns, he is not very good at that role.  With Nelson or Whitehead we  will be better in that department.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »

I will still say it, I think in the long run Petermann will be better than Simonise and have way better career. I am excited to see if the Bombers use him better than they have and give him more opportunities.  He is a real gem.

I don't disagree with your assessment but I think Petermann will establish his career out East.  Too many obstacles in his way to get a fair shot here.
GCn19

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »

Please don't put him on kickoff returns, he is not very good at that role.  With Nelson or Whitehead we  will be better in that department.

Totally agree.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »

If we DI Whitehead as a returner and backup rec, it will be super fun to see him and Demski on gadget plays and reverse sweeps and the like, along with Harris.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
squonk

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »

If we DI Whitehead as a returner and backup rec, it will be super fun to see him and Demski on gadget plays and reverse sweeps and the like, along with Harris.

Enjoyed watching Lucky this morning - dude's fast (and sneaky)!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: