Blue Bombers Forum
September 20, 2019, 12:35:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers introduce new "social pass" for people who just want to stand...  (Read 1431 times)
Colton

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »

Wont folks who used to buy a ticket and spend their time at the Rum Hut, now just buy these standing room tickets? Seems like it would be a net loss in revenue.

$37 probably isn't much less than the average ticket price people buying these are spending already. If you then sell that seat they would have occupied to another person you're basically just increasing the capacity of the stadium. Depending on how many of these they sell, I'd imagine they'd make a profit off this during the Banjo Bowl alone.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 02:41:47 AM »

marketing gimmick, not a bad idea but that's about all it is

average joe can get in less buying tickets with discount codes, group discounts, kijiji or buying tickets off friends or season ticket holders

won't be much of a factor in attendance

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue newt

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 03:42:03 AM »

marketing gimmick, not a bad idea but that's about all it is

average joe can get in less buying tickets with discount codes, group discounts, kijiji or buying tickets off friends or season ticket holders

won't be much of a factor in attendance

Not everyone puts in that same amount of work to find tickets, though, especially not a casual fan.

I don't think it will drastically affect attendance numbers (the venue is still bound by fire code occupancy limits), but it does provide options for people.  I can see the more social aspect of watching the game this way would appeal to a great number of people.  Certainly, if I were going to a game solo or as a casual fan just wanting to have a good time with a few friends, this option would lure me in.  They'd be marketing this to a different crowd than the traditional ticket, I would imagine.  As a student (albeit not a young one, but they don't know that), the sport teams in BC send me offers like this from time to time.  "Hey, we think you'll enjoy watching our team.  Here's an affordable ticket with an included beverage...give us a chance to impress you!"  As someone who may not otherwise ever buy a ticket to see professional lacrosse (in my case, but it may be football for someone else), it's certainly a tempting, low pressure way to dip my toes into the possibility of enjoying the sport, in a social, lively atmosphere. 
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 04:29:57 AM »

Gotta try anything... desperate times call for desperate measures..
TecnoGenius

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 05:28:45 AM »

Great idea.  Even if this is "just marketing", it's trying appeal to different segments.  What does the club have to lose?

Wont folks who used to buy a ticket and spend their time at the Rum Hut, now just buy these standing room tickets? Seems like it would be a net loss in revenue.

With the STH campaign saying you can get ST's seats at only $24/game, I don't think $37 will result in a loss of revenue.  And the ticket cost isn't $27 after the $10 beer, because the $10 beer only really costs the club maybe $2.

The Bombers may also want to know exactly how many people watch the game this way, because other than eyeballing the stands they probably have no real way of knowing and tracking how popular this option is. If a significant portion of fans like this, then maybe they look at facility changes/updates to accommodate. They would also be able to market the experience now. Keep in mind as well, fans that presumably show up to stand around and drink are probably high-profit margin patrons so a "loss" isn't the only way to look at it. You likely want to do something to appease that crowd and encourage others to partake.

Best comments so far, SB&G.  WFC gets metrics, exposure/marketing, and -- your most salient point -- the fact these ticket buyers won't be standing around with empty cups in their hands: they'll be drinking the whole game.  Each attendee will probably drop $50 easy, in addition to their ticket.

And I really like the attitude-segregation IGF offers.  This furthers that.  If you're young, single, rowdy, don't watch the game much, or like to drink a lot, North EZ concourse is your place.  Like vocal fans who are into the game?  East side upper deck between the 15-40YL's on both sides.  Like golf clapping and talking all British to Strevla'?  West side lower between the 40YLs.  Kids and no view?  South EZ.  Limited income but love the game and need a view?  CYL nosebleed, either side.  Are you 70+?  West upper C line rows 1-8.  Smack talk?  East side front row with Donny C   Wink Cheesy

OK, so there are exceptions (there's some real loud sections on West side upper around the 30's), but there's these little pockets all around IGF with their own character (due to the STH regulars), and they are wildly different.  I've been to about 35 games at IGF, and at least 30 were in different sections each time.  It's a completely different game and experience depending on your seat.

I think the club should document this and play it up!  Put out a STH survey asking people to describe their section.  Make a multiple choice form:
1. blaring/loud/moderate/quiet
2. knowledgeable/casual
3. drunk/sober
4. watching the game / barely paying attention
5. youth / young adults / middle age / fogies

Put the results out in marketing materials.  Play up the sections, "like to scream at BLM? sit in section X"; "want things quiet and headache free, sit in section Y".  Or better yet, state it in negatives: "if you want quiet, avoid sections A, B, D and Z", "want to be loud?  avoid sections E, F, and W."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had game day experiences ruined by finding myself sitting next to fans who are the complete opposite to me, and either I irritate them, or they irritate me.  A definite problem since the gregarious East-siders have converted me (grew up a West-sider) into a loud fanatic.

The last thing you want to do, is have such a ruined-game-day experience for a first-time attendee.  They'll never be back.
GCn19

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »

These tickets are designed for groups of young guys/gals who decide last minute they should all go get drunk at the game. Instead of trying to find blocks of seats they can just buy these passes and get stadium access. It costs the club nothing to introduce another ticket option that a few people may genuinely like.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
bluengold204

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »

$37 probably isn't much less than the average ticket price people buying these are spending already. If you then sell that seat they would have occupied to another person you're basically just increasing the capacity of the stadium. Depending on how many of these they sell, I'd imagine they'd make a profit off this during the Banjo Bowl alone.

Ugh I hope they don't do this for the Banjo Bowl the north endzone is a zoo already for that game.
TBURGESS

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 12:51:06 PM »

The folks who would buy these tickets aren't the same folks who would buy season tickets, so you have to compare single ticket game day prices with these tickets. Quick check shows the cheapest tickets at $27 a game. Add in a beer. and you're probably at $37, so these tickets are basically the same price as the cheapest tickets. Therefore... no loss in revenue.

The only way these tickets generate more revenue is if the Bombers can sell the seat too. Not likely at most games, but a possibility at games like the Banjo bowl.

I can't see this marketing play making much, if any, difference to the overall numbers.

These tickets do nothing to segregate the heavy drinkers away from the others. The rum hut already does that.

Folks who are going to party at the rum hut don't need a block of seats together because they aren't going to use them anyway.

Being right never gets old.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: