Blue Bombers Forum
August 22, 2019, 08:10:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers introduce new "social pass" for people who just want to stand...  (Read 1248 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »

Probably a good idea...

Football fans who prefer to stand and mingle at Winnipeg Blue Bombers games now have a new way of doing it.

The football club on Wednesday announced the Jim Beam Social Pass, offering fans the option to purchase a $37 pass (one drink included) to stand in the north end zone of IG Field for the duration of the game.

The pass means fans won't have to purchase an assigned seat and can enjoy the Jim Beam Stillhouse and the Rum Hut from kickoff to the end of the game.

"A contingent of our fans enjoy game days differently, spending the duration of games in the north end zone," said Winnipeg Blue Bombers president and CEO, Wade Miller.

"With the Rum Hut, the new Jim Beam Stillhouse, the DJ booth and social atmosphere we've created in that area of the stadium, the next step was to create a pass for these fans to enjoy games their way."

The pass will be available on a game-by-game basis only for the 2019 season.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:01:16 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 01:00:04 PM »

So essentially $27 to stand?

Is this good value?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »

So essentially $27 to stand?

Is this good value?

I think my per game price on my upper deck seat is somewhere in the $30 range...I am sure it will fill a niche and get some more people into the game on the hot summer nights.  I suppose they will just direct these folks to the covered concourse in the event of a lightening delay.
bluengold204

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »

Not really a big fan of this, I sit in the north end zone and the concourse gets a bit crowded as it is during the summer games.  

$37 even with the free drink (I'm assuming alcohol?) is a bit much IMO
GCn18

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 01:23:35 PM »

I know several of my friends who do not even go to their seat until the 4th Q and stand around the rum hut from the time they arrive until then. This might be up their alley.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »

Sounds like a great marketing idea, I may never use it but I know some people who probably would.
blue_or_die

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »

I'm guessing you wouldn't necessarily be contained to the north endzone, right? Otherwise, regular attendees wouldn't be able to pass through when going to other concessions, etc.

Won't this just promote standing around the concourse more so? It's already pretty bad and that's when people have a seat to go to.

If we had the extra concourse space, absolutely it would be a brilliant way to get the socializing crowd out to the park and sell extra tickets. In that case, I would put tickets at $20 which would essentially just expand the stadium attendance capacity. However, on the surface this kind of just seems like a nuisance to regular attendees who want to watch the game and use the concourse to expedite getting beer, food and washroom breaks because there will be more people standing in the way of that.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »

Here are some more details :

https://www.bluebombers.com/jim-beam-social-pass/
BOYSBLUEFAN

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »

I know NFL teams do this, but one of the reasons they do it is so that fans who can't afford a 'seat' ticket, can get into the games cheaper. The fan's who purchase the standing room only at an NFL game cherish their ticket so that they can actually watch the game. If the Bombers are going to designate a specific area for viewing that does not congest an entire area in the concourse, I am on board with this. However, as others have mentioned, and I know this as well, there are lots of people who attend the games just to party by the Rum Hut and they don't actually watch the game, thus I don't see a point to promote selling tickets if this is the way fans will take advantage of the 'standing' ticket as this will indeed just congest that area of the stadium.             
rubanski

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »

It's a great idea, plenty of folks don't even consider sitting during the game. You accomplish a few key things for long term success.

There's clearly a group who will be buying these tickets.
More people develop a culture of going to games regularly.
This feeds directly in to the pool of people who are hot prospects to become regular season ticket holders - which is the holy grail of any sports franchise.

Makes more and more sense to make the South end zone ultra kid friendly with things like family washrooms, free balloons/tattoos, a no alcohol section, etc, etc.

TBURGESS

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »

Wont folks who used to buy a ticket and spend their time at the Rum Hut, now just buy these standing room tickets? Seems like it would be a net loss in revenue.

Being right never gets old.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »

Wont folks who used to buy a ticket and spend their time at the Rum Hut, now just buy these standing room tickets? Seems like it would be a net loss in revenue.

Maybe...but it could pull in others that didn't attend because they didn't want to shell out the $$...also this has what looks like a sponsor to it - "Jim Beam social pass".  Who knows how all that played out as well.  If the BB truly thought they would lose money they wouldn't do this
blue_or_die

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »

It's a great idea, plenty of folks don't even consider sitting during the game. You accomplish a few key things for long term success.

There's clearly a group who will be buying these tickets.
More people develop a culture of going to games regularly.
This feeds directly in to the pool of people who are hot prospects to become regular season ticket holders - which is the holy grail of any sports franchise.

Makes more and more sense to make the South end zone ultra kid friendly with things like family washrooms, free balloons/tattoos, a no alcohol section, etc, etc.

That's true that plenty don't even sit during the game....however, now they will get to enjoy the same experience at the expense of revenue. It only works if it's able to draw new fans. Maybe it will? I hope so.
blue_or_die

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »

My ideal solution is to remove all/most of the north endzone seating and turn it into a patio with some casual seating (loge-type) and even a few extra vendors, which will alleviate a lot of the north endzone. This will also attract the party-goers and new fans, and rid the empty seats for the cameras.

During games later in the year/games where seat demand is higher (and grey cups?), regular seating can simply be added to this area to get it up to regular capacity.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:14 PM »

It's just another option for people to buy tickets. I am going to make the assumption that the vast majority of fans who experience Bomber games in this way are likely not season ticket holders and probably just attend a few games over the summer, depending on their schedule. Live sport is a hyper-competitive market these days and customers want flexibility.

The Bombers may also want to know exactly how many people watch the game this way, because other than eyeballing the stands they probably have no real way of knowing and tracking how popular this option is. If a significant portion of fans like this, then maybe they look at facility changes/updates to accommodate. They would also be able to market the experience now. Keep in mind as well, fans that presumably show up to stand around and drink are probably high-profit margin patrons so a "loss" isn't the only way to look at it. You likely want to do something to appease that crowd and encourage others to partake.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: