Blue Bombers Forum
September 29, 2020, 02:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL and Players Association Reach New Deal  (Read 10203 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »

Even some of the players don't understand what's going on with these changes any more than we do. It will get resolved.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »

Even some of the players don't understand what's going on with these changes any more than we do. It will get resolved.

Most of the changes made appear to be geared to appeasing American players, if they start voting as a block they could alter the game significantly.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2019, 02:17:24 AM »

during the current CBA negotiations, I took the time to read a lot of documents related to the league and the CBA itself... I think there are some things that could be done to appease players and teams both but probably wouldn't be favored by the CFLPA itself... for instance...

I wouldn't require players to pay into the CFL's pension plan, unless a player decided to, until year 3 of their playing career... seeing how these required player contributions adversely impact the lowest paid players the most, I'm sure that they would rather have the option to either keep this money, or invest it themselves elsewhere...

currently, the average CFL career is less than 3 years, where else would anyone work that they would expect a pension for less than 3 years of applicable work? currently players are required to pay $4100 annually into this pension fund, teams are required to match... $4100 represents 7.5% of a minimum wage player's salary, plus, given the number of new import players each year this could represent a significant savings for teams as well... some may see it as unreasonable, but even the place where I worked you weren't 'vested' and entitled to retirement benefits until you worked there for 5 years...

also, another not button topic, extended health care benefits... why? currently Canadian players would be covered under the current Canadian healthcare plan already at no additional cost, so, you're basically looking at import players again, right? again, average CFL career is less than 3 years... most of these players already have at least 8 years of game playing under their belt once they get to the CFL, why should the CFL be required to shoulder the cost?  not to mention, even though it is widely known and accepted that football is dangerous, we have to continue to create more and harsher penalties to keep players from playing in a dangerous, reckless, injury related manner... no different than for people that smoke, they know what they are signing up for...

maybe the CFLPA should try and leverage those union iron workers that came in on their behalf to help with this year's CBA and see if they can't get players eligible to participate in their health plans? Those from the states know that they are ultimately responsible for finding and paying for health insurance regardless, unless you're on welfare but that's another story... if you choose a career that makes obtaining affordable healthcare a problem for yourself, maybe you should review your life choices... I have a friend that races sprint cars for a living, over 130 mph on a 1/2 mile dirt oval, and he has no problem at all finding health insurance... sometimes, life is just a matter of choice, but, choosing not to be insured because you don't want to pay for it, well, seems like you need to make better life choices...

this last one is more of a question... I noticed that every player has to pay dues with each game check to the CFLPA... an amount that equates to over $660,000 league wide annually out of player salaries... other than in years when ironing out a new CBA, what else does the CFLPA do regularly?  I realize they have a limited amount of staff and a need to retain accounting and legal services... I'm not saying players shouldn't pay dues to their union, just wondering if anyone knew what other duties the CFLPA are responsible for in non CBA renewing years as I really couldn't find and resource outlining their on going duties...

I know that to some what I've said here may sound 'harsh', and maybe it is, but I'm still on the fence on this whole concussion thing and who is actually responsible... like I said, at least at this point in any football players career, regardless of level, they know that football is a contact sport, that in playing football there is a high probability that you will sustain 1 or more concussions if you play, that their are medical opinion that experiencing a concussion(s) can have adverse and on going health issues/risks... even knowing this, players still lead with their helmet when tackling... they generally don't want to adhere to concussion protocols, such as sitting out games... they sustain a concussion, or multiple concussions and will still continue to play, knowing that repeated concussions is known to have a huge impact in regards to long term health issues...

there is equipment out there, helmets, that can reduce the chance of concussions... my friend had a son who played quarterback in high school and college and bought his son one of these helmets to help protect his son and reduce his chance of being concussed... notice I said that he bought his son the helmet, not the schools... he considered it no different than any career that required specialized equipment in order to perform and reduce the chance of work related injury...

also, why wasn't this an issue 'back in the day' with players? for gosh sakes, they played with a leather hat and no face guard for years and I don't recall masses of them committing suicide, or killing their families and such? maybe part of these brain injuries are a product of some of the 'performance enhancing drugs' that many of these guys take...

needless to say, I'm not sure accepting responsibility by the league is the prudent path to take, at least not yet... at what point does the responsibility fall to those that knowingly participate? I mean, if I'm an iron worker, working 100 stories in the air, and choose not to use a safety lead because it slows me down, and I fall and die, is that my company's fault?

if football is the devil, what does that make sports like boxing and MMA? surely they are way more dangerous than football...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »

while I'm on a roll, lol...

didn't I hear somewhere that the new CBA would also reduce the number of padded practices?  I didn't see anything mentioned about that in this thread? did I dream that?

if they are going to reduce the number of padded practices to the level I recall they were, how is a team supposed to be able to actually develop a young player?

also, when the last CBA was ratified, each player received a 'ratification bonus'... was that unique to the 2014 CBA being ratified or will players once again receive ratification bonus this time? why would they receive such a bonus? who pays these bonuses, the team? if I recall correctly, rookies were to receive $1500 each and veterans $7500 each... that's a lot of coin!

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:03 AM »

Lots of "info" on twitter but how much of it is accurate is really hard to figure out.  Hopefully cooler heads prevail.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2019, 04:24:07 AM »

Ratification is reportedly back on track.  Let training camps begin.  Cool

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/lalji-on-unexpected-cfl-cba-back-and-forth-we-will-have-labour-peace%7E1686814
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:38:15 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2019, 05:26:00 AM »

didn't I hear somewhere that the new CBA would also reduce the number of padded practices?  I didn't see anything mentioned about that in this thread? did I dream that?

if they are going to reduce the number of padded practices to the level I recall they were, how is a team supposed to be able to actually develop a young player?

also, when the last CBA was ratified, each player received a 'ratification bonus'... was that unique to the 2014 CBA being ratified or will players once again receive ratification bonus this time? why would they receive such a bonus? who pays these bonuses, the team? if I recall correctly, rookies were to receive $1500 each and veterans $7500 each... that's a lot of coin!

The link below provides the details of the agreement, #10 covers reduced padded practices but the wording suggests this may just be for T.C..

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/17/cflpa-sends-detailed-memo-to-players-on-new-cba-terms/
TecnoGenius

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »

From Farhan:

Being told the issue is connected to the interpretation of the new American vet ratio of 3 🇺🇸 starters having to have played 3 seasons with same team or 4 in #CFL. @CFLonTSN

I hope the Canadians in the CFLPA are making a stink about that rule's 2nd clause regarding substitution!  They could be signing themselves out of jobs.  I hope the final text is very clear and not very lenient regarding these substitutions!  I hope it contains verbiage to protect against abuse.

We've already seen a handful of slightly surprising middle-tier NAT talent released since word about that rule hit the streets... exactly as I predicted would happen if teams were gearing up to "stub some NAT toes".

Never go full Rider!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »

just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/19/the-cfl-reneged-on-elements-of-the-new-cba-and-almost-caused-a-strike/

however, things have been rectified...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:20:14 AM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

KINGCHARLES

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »

Crazy to point out that the Bombers have 7 maybe 8 guys that qualify as AVR.... Adams, Bighill, Jefferson, Medlock, Nichols, Hardrick, S.Bryant. (Foketi might count as an 8th). That rule should be altered in 2020 or next contract to make it so that you have to play 3 years with the same team. That way on other teams like (BC, EDM would have key players that wouldnt count towards the AVR like Reilly and Harris).
I like this idea but it needs tweeking.

For the sake of the next contract i wouldnt be surprised if they can maybe instill a QB Max. We will have to wait and see how BC, Calgary and EDM do with those minimum salary increases in 2020. Those 3 teams may need to work some OT on scouting and planning on developing young players.

The health coverage is good for players playing on BC, CGY, and EDM as due to those min salary increases in 2020 we will see tons of turnover of higher priced players.

Am I, Are We reading the Canadian QB spot wrong? I know it says if they start it counts towards the starter ratio but what if they are just on the AR does it count towards the 21 Canadians.

I think Global Players should be allowed to step in for a N or NI and have it not affect in game ratios.

I am an amateur level tackle coach and even i know there is plenty of things that can be done without full contact practices.
We get taught that their is 5 levels of contact...(Pros work on this too)
 0= Air, 1=Bags, 2= Control, 3= Thud, 4=Live (Full contact game speed).
 You can do levels 0-2 and maybe 3 even without Padded practices.
(I believe the Seattle Seahawks are known for having non padded practice 1 or 2 times a week)
Practicing the timing of plays, running routes, blocking, one on one pass coverage without tackling are lots of examples of things that can be done without padded practices.
Tackling can be done on bags or Thud level. Thud level is were a player can breakdown and use the proper form/technique of tackling a player without taking the player to the ground.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
Blue In BC

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »

Crazy to point out that the Bombers have 7 maybe 8 guys that qualify as AVR.... Adams, Bighill, Jefferson, Medlock, Nichols, Hardrick, S.Bryant. (Foketi might count as an 8th). That rule should be altered in 2020 or next contract to make it so that you have to play 3 years with the same team. That way on other teams like (BC, EDM would have key players that wouldnt count towards the AVR like Reilly and Harris).
I like this idea but it needs tweeking.

For the sake of the next contract i wouldnt be surprised if they can maybe instill a QB Max. We will have to wait and see how BC, Calgary and EDM do with those minimum salary increases in 2020. Those 3 teams may need to work some OT on scouting and planning on developing young players.

The health coverage is good for players playing on BC, CGY, and EDM as due to those min salary increases in 2020 we will see tons of turnover of higher priced players.

Am I, Are We reading the Canadian QB spot wrong? I know it says if they start it counts towards the starter ratio but what if they are just on the AR does it count towards the 21 Canadians.

I think Global Players should be allowed to step in for a N or NI and have it not affect in game ratios.

I am an amateur level tackle coach and even i know there is plenty of things that can be done without full contact practices.
We get taught that their is 5 levels of contact...(Pros work on this too)
 0= Air, 1=Bags, 2= Control, 3= Thud, 4=Live (Full contact game speed).
 You can do levels 0-2 and maybe 3 even without Padded practices.
(I believe the Seattle Seahawks are known for having non padded practice 1 or 2 times a week)
Practicing the timing of plays, running routes, blocking, one on one pass coverage without tackling are lots of examples of things that can be done without padded practices.
Tackling can be done on bags or Thud level. Thud level is were a player can breakdown and use the proper form/technique of tackling a player without taking the player to the ground.

My understanding is that a Canadian QB would add to the 21 total. That has always been the case IMO. In theory a team could have 3 Canadian QB's since QB's were always a separate classification.

The difference now is that a Canadian QB starting will be considered as 1 of the 7 starters.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:32:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »

My understanding is that a Canadian QB would add a to the 21 total. That has always been the case IMO. In theory a team could have 3 Canadian QB's since QB's were always a separate classification.

The difference now is that a Canadian QB starting will be considered as 1 of the 7 starters.
That's my understanding as well.

Starters don't really matter in the AVR situation unless they can take a NI's spot during the game and another import can take their spot.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »

I hope the Canadians in the CFLPA are making a stink about that rule's 2nd clause regarding substitution!  They could be signing themselves out of jobs.  I hope the final text is very clear and not very lenient regarding these substitutions!  I hope it contains verbiage to protect against abuse.

We've already seen a handful of slightly surprising middle-tier NAT talent released since word about that rule hit the streets... exactly as I predicted would happen if teams were gearing up to "stub some NAT toes".

A coach that used this tactic without merit could find himself refereeing a divided locker room.
theaardvark

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »

Reduced 2 a day padded preseason practices....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »

also, another not button topic, extended health care benefits... why? currently Canadian players would be covered under the current Canadian healthcare plan already at no additional cost, so, you're basically looking at import players again, right? again, average CFL career is less than 3 years... most of these players already have at least 8 years of game playing under their belt once they get to the CFL, why should the CFL be required to shoulder the cost?  not to mention, even though it is widely known and accepted that football is dangerous, we have to continue to create more and harsher penalties to keep players from playing in a dangerous, reckless, injury related manner... no different than for people that smoke, they know what they are signing up for...
Basic health care is provided at no cost in all provinces except BC - we pay a nominal monthly fee here.

Extended health care is a taxable benefit that many employers provide to employees - some employers provide better coverage than others.

@Stats_Junkie
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: