Blue Bombers Forum
August 22, 2019, 08:09:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL and Players Association Reach New Deal  (Read 3860 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »

David William Naylor
‏Verified account @TSNDaveNaylor
6m6 minutes ago

? global players ... 1 on each roster this season, 2 on each roster for 2020.  2/2
1 reply 0 retweets 2 likes
David William Naylor
7m7 minutes ago

A few more details from the CFL?s new CBA (still yet to be ratified by players)
? Pending free agent players will be able to talk with any teams for 9 days in advance of opening of free agency.
? training camp padded practices ... was 10 in ?18, 5 this year, 3 in 2020. 1/2

Pretty substantial drop in number of padded practices at training camp.  Can't say I have ever participated in one but to have only 3 practices during that whole time with pads on seems pretty low
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »

David William Naylor
6m6 minutes ago

? global players ... 1 on each roster this season, 2 on each roster for 2020.  2/2
1 reply 0 retweets 2 likes
David William Naylor
7m7 minutes ago

A few more details from the CFL?s new CBA (still yet to be ratified by players)
? Pending free agent players will be able to talk with any teams for 9 days in advance of opening of free agency.
? training camp padded practices ... was 10 in ?18, 5 this year, 3 in 2020. 1/2

Wow, almost no padded practices for training camp. That's going to be different. Must be a bit harder to evaluate the lines.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »

Doug brown has some thoughts on only 3 padded practices in TC:

Seriously, though.  What do the linemen do?  Work on hypothetical scenarios with one another?

I feel like a dinosaur.  Dave Ritchie would break that rule on day 3 of camp.
theaardvark

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »

Global players must make exactly the minimum, no other concessions...  wonder if Maher qualifies as Global now if he likes?  That'd be a score, getting him on the roster for free...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2019, 08:33:30 PM »

Global players must make exactly the minimum, no other concessions...  wonder if Maher qualifies as Global now if he likes?  That'd be a score, getting him on the roster for free...

Adding global players means they'll have to have global players on the PR to cover for depth. In the event a global player actually wins a starting role players will be needed to move up and to the AR etc.

We'll see what the talent is like for these players. IMO it's a horrible decision to create roster spots for players that didn't actually win a roster spot.

Bombers have 4 global players. 1 has be on the AR. At least 1 will need to be on the PR?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:35:19 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »

Huh
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »

Adding global players means they'll have to have global players on the PR to cover for depth. In the event a global player actually wins a starting role players will be needed to move up and to the AR etc.

We'll see what the talent is like for these players. IMO it's a horrible decision to create roster spots for players that didn't actually win a roster spot.

Bombers have 4 global players. 1 has be on the AR. At least 1 will need to be on the PR?

We've been doing that with Canadians since the ratio existed.
TBURGESS

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/17/cflpa-sends-detailed-memo-to-players-on-new-cba-terms/

Good article that outlines exactly what's in the new CBA.

Of special interest (at least to me):

The ability for veteran American players with three years of service with their existing club or four years of CFL experience to substitute for injured national players.

Players can sign with another club if they are released after the trade deadline.

BTW: If anyone knows how to fix the image size, let me know and I'll be happy to change it.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:05:52 PM by TBURGESS » Logged

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »

Maximum fines now maximum is 1/2 of game check. Not sure if that impacts suspension length or same rule applies. IE, is a suspension considered a fine?

Global player salary on PR exempt from SMS? So what? Not much of a hit.

NFL option comes into play each year beginning in 2020.

2 a day workouts reduced from 10 to 5 in 2019 and to 3 in 2020??!!!!!!!!

I wonder how they will apply the 3 - 4 year American substitution rule for injured national players. IE: If Neufeld is injured can Foketi replace him in the next game for example?

Many of these rules are to reduce injury risk in theory. OTOH reduced practices and reduced practices with pads may have the exact opposite impact.

I guess we'll see.

No more excuses.
Colton

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »

BTW: If anyone knows how to fix the image size, let me know and I'll be happy to change it.

If you edit your comment and change the initial [img] tags to [img width=700] or whatever size in pixels you want, it'll resize it
TBURGESS

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »

If you edit your comment and change the initial [img] tags to [img width=700] or whatever size in pixels you want, it'll resize it
Worked like a charm! Thanks.

TBURGESS

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »

I wonder how they will apply the 3 - 4 year American substitution rule for injured national players. IE: If Neufeld is injured can Foketi replace him in the next game for example?
I'm guessing it just in game. In your example, Foketi can replace him for the rest of the game, but we'd have to reset the ratio going forward.

My question would be... Could we 'start' an 'injured' NI say at safety and then replace him after the first play with a AVR to get around the ratio rules?

blue_or_die

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »

I'm guessing it just in game. In your example, Foketi can replace him for the rest of the game, but we'd have to reset the ratio going forward.

My question would be... Could we 'start' an 'injured' NI say at safety and then replace him after the first play with a AVR to get around the ratio rules?

Slow down there, Chris Jones!
blue_or_die

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »

The Foketi example is interesting. Does the American vet need to have been a starter for all/a specific portion of their tenure? I.e., even though Foketi has been a backup his whole career with us, does he still count as a vet in the eyes of this clause?
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »

With only a limited number of DI's ( I'm assuming 5 now with adding the global player ), there aren't enough to cover every position.

We never have an import OL as a DI. He might be on the DR but not a DI.
Recently we've struggled having an import receiver or RB as a DI although we might have a receiver / returner this year?

Safety seems the most possible in game injury where we'd probably have a DI choice.

The rule seems a bit slippery. Teams could change their DI's game to game to prepare for a nicked Canadian not being able to complete or perform during the game.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: