Blue Bombers Forum
October 15, 2019, 06:41:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weston Dressler Discussion  (Read 4007 times)
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »

Chris Williams for the right price? Or is he a broken goods already?
Blue In BC

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 04:04:28 PM »

Broken perhaps. Expensive too. Pass. I want to see what several of the young receivers bring to the table. After signing Matthews the 3rd import receiver won't have to be the big play guy in support of only Adams.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:43 PM »

Broken perhaps. Expensive too. Pass. I want to see what several of the young receivers bring to the table. After signing Matthews the 3rd import receiver won't have to be the big play guy in support of only Adams.

Yeah, with a solid NI base of 2 starters and 2 elite import receivers now, I'm more than happy to/we can afford to plop in a guy with upside into the 3rd slot to develop him.

You've gotta think that with defenders on our other guys that the third spot would be a big opportunity for a young, unproven guy to make some good catches here and there. A confidence booster and development spot for a cheap salary. Almost akin to what we get from the 5th (Canadian) receiver spot.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:27:27 PM by blue_or_die » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:33 PM »

I think we have the best group of Canadian receivers in the CFL.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 03:30:28 AM »

OK, so maybe wrong thread but fits with the current discussion....
Who's going to have the bigger year:  Adams or Matthews?  Barring injury ofcourse.

Great question.  I think Adams edges it out, unless Matthews proves more able to run under the slightly-inaccurate deep balls Nichols tends to throw.  BinBC said it, DCs will respect Matthews more, opening it up for Adams.  I would be perfectly happy if Matthews decoys for Adams all year (though I'm sure he won't be!).  Plus, Adams already has Nichols' and Lapo's respect and trust, and loyalty.

As Austin Powers says, "and, I'm spent".  WFC SMS is done.  Blown the wad.  Priced to perfection.  And, there's no need anymore.  Our rec roster is looking very, very good, and one new(ish) guy has got to stand out this year.  I haven't even thought about Williams in 2 years.  Something weird happened to that guy.  Fastest hero to zero I've ever seen.

I think we have the best group of Canadian receivers in the CFL.

By a country mile!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 03:38:05 AM »

IF the new players in the secondary, OL, WIL, receiving corps, and we get 2017 Matt Nichols, we should be contending for a Grey Cup.

As other have said, I think our secondary is extremely strong this year.  We've made great finds in the last 3 years.  I see no weak links in the secondary.  The only iffy question is safety, but if Jones can start, I think he'll do just fine.  I'm happier with a ball-spotter over a heavy-hitter anyhow.

WILL is really the only big question mark on D, but I think Hall & MOS will field the right guy and adjust as necessary.  And Biggie will make up for any WILL weakness, and help with mentorship.

Thinking back to a couple of/few years ago, we could have only dreamed of being in a situation where we just had to worry about WILL and maybe FS on D.  Remember the Hurl & Roc years and all the Fogg griping?  This is heaven compared to then.

P.S. Alexander is proving to be a real beast out there.  Who would have seen that coming when he was a rookie?  No one paid any attention to him then.  Huge kudos to KW, MOS, RH to a) finding the guy, and b) seeing the future star in him, 'cause I sure didn't!
NewBlue

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »

Was Matthews that big (230) when he was here last?  I wonder if he still has the speed....Maybe we use him in more blocking downs
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »

As other have said, I think our secondary is extremely strong this year.  We've made great finds in the last 3 years.  I see no weak links in the secondary.  The only iffy question is safety, but if Jones can start, I think he'll do just fine.  I'm happier with a ball-spotter over a heavy-hitter anyhow.

WILL is really the only big question mark on D, but I think Hall & MOS will field the right guy and adjust as necessary.  And Biggie will make up for any WILL weakness, and help with mentorship.

Thinking back to a couple of/few years ago, we could have only dreamed of being in a situation where we just had to worry about WILL and maybe FS on D.  Remember the Hurl & Roc years and all the Fogg griping?  This is heaven compared to then.

P.S. Alexander is proving to be a real beast out there.  Who would have seen that coming when he was a rookie?  No one paid any attention to him then.  Huge kudos to KW, MOS, RH to a) finding the guy, and b) seeing the future star in him, 'cause I sure didn't!

Re: Alexander. Yes excellent find in 2017. He only played 15 games and I don't  remember whether he started game 1 or had some IR time.

Part of my point ( about the kudos): In 2017 Walker played 10 games, Carmichael played 15 games, Porter played 5 games.  Who was ranked where and when is a little vague.

So was he deemed the best of the 4 in their minds, 2nd, 3rd or 4th?

I'm more reluctant to give kudos for success of finding 1 great player without considering the failures in the same time frame.

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 09:36:43 PM »

I would never say never, until he signs with another team or retires. We said that about Denmark a few years ago.

Denny > Dress late stage career

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 09:39:40 PM »

To say a group with Adam's.. Matthew's.. Woli and Demski and whomever fills it out is not good...is an idiot
hit a bell three times loudly
I think Adams will have the bigger year. Teams will have to double Matthews at times instead of Adams. Both should have big seasons and defenses are going to have to game plan against more than 1 receiver. Both players are capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

That's a new dynamic which will add to our offense.

Adams 1000 yards for sure
the real winners hee will be Woli and Demski...things are going to really open up for them with pretty much an extra defender now pulled away from them to account for Matthews and Adams, also if we get a real burner slot added to it...it will make us way more dynamic this year, and the ripple effect is that Harris is going to have less defenders and congestion to deal with this year inside the box if you utilize our weapons correctly...a safety now is going to have to respect the pass and be pulled away in over the top support more, as well as the SAM may have to be in more of a pursuit mode now against us and not being able to spy the back field.

yip

PurpleReign

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 10:21:18 PM »

Some of you want Dressler back, but we already have a player that can fill his shoes and that is Petermann.  Time to give this kid the green light.  We have gem on our hands.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »

Some of you want Dressler back, but we already have a player that can fill his shoes and that is Petermann.  Time to give this kid the green light.  We have gem on our hands.

time to move on and develop the future not look to the past

fansince79

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »

I really would like to see Simonise step up this year. Tall, big body, physical, bit of a mouth which I always like. 
66 Chevelle

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2019, 12:58:48 AM »

for me, it's more about the collective rather than the individual player, per se... meaning, that by keeping Dressler he makes the receiving corp, those around him, better, makes our QB better, and ultimately makes the team better and I'm not sure who else you could do this with... I listed some of the reasons why I believe this in another thread, but I'll add them here again...

1. Dressler is a future HOFer and even if he's not getting as many targets as he enjoyed in seasons prior, defenses will have to respect and cover him because if they don't he will burn them...

2. Dressler is probably our best route runner on the team and has a knack at getting open, especially when needed...

3. Nichols likes him, has chemistry with him, trusts him... I think his presence will help Nichols be more comfortable and confident based more or less on the fact that when Dressler is on the field he has generally be the #1 or #2 targeted receiver...

4. Dressler could be a great mid tier route runner (along with Woli or Thompkins), those 10 to 20 yard routes... because they will have to account for Dressler with legit coverage, and with Adams and Matthews of the deep routes, and having Demski and Harris running the short stuff, we will be able to create better match ups, better throwing lanes, and space for yards after the catch at all levels...

5. Dressler already has an intimate knowledge of the Bomber offensive playbook and again, his route running ability puts him ahead of others... couple that with his relationship with Nichols, how well they know each other and each other's tendencies, he could still produce at a high level for the Bombers, even if it isn't captured in the stat sheets in yards or receptions...

6. All of our young receivers could benefit from having him on the team...

7. I don't think that you will bring in any other player for less that what we could potentially sign Dressler for and be as productive as Dressler can be...

a lot of people are saying that it's time to move on from Dressler, and apparently team management feels the say way, but I have to assume that these thoughts are based primary his age and past injury issues, both legit concerns, because it can really be based upon his on field performance as he is still one of the Bombers most productive offensive players...

last year, though playing in 4 fewer games than Adams, Woli, Dempski, and Harris, he was only 19 yards off from having the 3rd most total yards as a receiver... Dressler had 535 yards and Demski had 554 yards, but also had almost 20 more targets than Dressler...

when comparing our top 6 receivers from 2018 (Adams, Woli, Dressler, Harris, Demski, Thompkins), Dressler was 2nd on the team in receiving yards per game... tied for 2nd with receiving TDs... tied for 2nd in receptions per game... 3rd in yards after the catch per catch... 4th in yards per target...

one of the reasons I like Dressler comes from a stat that is tracked by the CFL, Successful Plays... a successful play is a reception that nets 7 or more yards on a 1st down reception, or achieves a 1st down from a reception made on 2nd or 3rd down... Dressler was tied for 3rd in total Successful Receptions, only 3 fewer than 2nd, while again, playing in 4 less games than the others... had the 2nd most Successful Receptions per game... and the 3rd best Successful Receptions Percentage per Targets... what this boils down to is keeping the chains moving, completing first downs, and keeping drives alive...

to be quite honest, Dressler had better production than Demski last year in almost every stat... though it should be expected given Dressler is a veteran of the league, I doubt many would have thought that to be if asked...

I haven't seen an appreciable decline in Dressler's speed on the field and if he's bumped back to basically the #4 option receiver it could help in keeping him healthy... if he's willing to play for significantly less, which it appears he's going to have to if he still wants to play, he would be great for the team...

now, with all of that being said... in regards to promoting Petermann, Simonise, or 'insert new rookie receiver's name here', it really doesn't help the team that much because we all know that Nichols generally doesn't throw regularly to yet proven receivers...  fielding a receiving corp of Adams, Matthews, Woli, Demski, Dressler, Thompkins and throw in Harris, they represent over 80% of all targets in 2018, 85% of total receptions, and 83% of total receiving yards... that makes every receiver on the field, other than Matthews, a receiver that Nichols has significant playing time, chemistry and an established level of trust... Matthews will see his share of throws because Nichols will be motivated in throwing in his direction, much like he did last year when Bowman was here, only Bowman didn't catch the ball...  This would put us in a place that the Bombers haven't really been in for seasons past... every receiver is a legit target on every play... we wouldn't be fielding 1 or 2 receiver positions that most likely won't see more than 1 or maybe 2 balls a game... slight modifications to our offensive scheme, more layered routes at all levels of the field, and a strong running game, this offense could be the best we have fielded yet, collectively...

but again, it has to make sense financially and a direction that the team sees value in doing... but personally, I think it makes a lot of sense, without knowing specific details related to Dressler's asking amount, SMS room, etc, etc... just throwing out conversation and opinion... but Walters did mention the possibility of fielding 3 national receivers this year as well, so I don't know...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
dd

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 03:40:17 AM »

Dressler is a proven playmaker that has one intangible the others can only hope to acquire?confidence. He makes everyone around him better and I am still hoping we can make this happen
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: