Blue Bombers Forum
October 17, 2019, 01:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weston Dressler Discussion  (Read 4041 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: May 13, 2019, 08:45:48 PM »

You're right. I think most will disagree about the Dressler idea. Time to move on and find the next Dressler in TC.

don't disagree, totally, but... Dressler has the resume to command an elevated amount of attention over some newbie new to the league, CFL game, team, scheme, waggle, no chemistry with QB, etc....

like I said, for the right money he could do a lot for this offense, even if he's not getting balls thrown to him...  but, that's just my opinion... 

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue girl

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:47:59 PM »

Dressler is not coming back. It's time to move on.
kkc60

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »

Dressler is gone hopefully. We have Adams, Matthew's, Demski and Wolitarsky. We arent pressed to find a leader like Dressler and at his age and size, he's a guaranteed 6 game IR.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:05:55 AM »

While it's a business and teams have to field the best players available, it's sad to hear some of the comments regarding Weston Dressler.

He came at a time when we needed a quality receiver like him and he always played hard, made key catches and we a solid team mate.  He doesn't deserve to be slighted or disrespected.  His time with the Bombers was productive even if injuries held him back late in his career. I thank him and wish him the best in the future.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
jeremy q public

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:37:12 AM »

I echo the sentiment that he doesn't deserve to be slighted. Having said that, I've seen nothing but respect for Dressler in this thread, although I realized offending comments could have been deleted. Yes there has been talk about how he got injured a little too much (for his liking as well as ours, I'm sure), but that is clearly not his fault. The opinion that we should move on from him is purely based on the business of football, not anything related to the effort, heart, and undeniable talent he lent to this team.
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 01:53:41 AM »

I would never say never, until he signs with another team or retires. We said that about Denmark a few years ago.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »

While it's a business and teams have to field the best players available, it's sad to hear some of the comments regarding Weston Dressler.

He came at a time when we needed a quality receiver like him and he always played hard, made key catches and we a solid team mate.  He doesn't deserve to be slighted or disrespected.  His time with the Bombers was productive even if injuries held him back late in his career. I thank him and wish him the best in the future.

I agree, go back and watch the W.S.F. game against the Riders, one of the best games Dressler ever played in a Bomber uniform.  I really hoped Walters would find a way to keep him affiliated with the team in some way as he's such a valuable asset but with the cap on coaches that's not likely to happen now.  Who knows, maybe Hamilton will offer him the position Condell just stepped out of, I certainly would.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:02:05 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:27:46 AM »

I agree, go back and watch the W.S.F. game against the Riders, one of the best games Dressler ever played in a Bomber uniform.  I really hoped Walters would find a way to keep him affiliated with the team in some way as he's such a valuable asset but with the cap on coaches that's not likely to happen now.  Who knows, maybe Hamilton will offer him the position Condell just stepped out of, I certainly would.
Walter's and co have never really seemed interested in having ex-Bombers come back in any capacity
kkc60

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:35:12 AM »

I haven't found any comments that I'd find sad or disrespectful. No player deserves to be disrespected, necessarily. But it's not disrespectful to look back at the past few years and say the negatives along with the positives.

It seems some hold him up on this weird pedestal. Like yes he did great things for us and came here at the perfect time. He's a great guy, someone I've met numerous times. But again, he's an older, 5'7 receiver. His production is fine but if we were to bring him back either he would produce very little because of the group around him or Nichols would fall back to relying on him to a fault.

Don't get me wrong again, he's won us some games and been great on and off the field. But it's time we move on.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 05:16:14 AM »

You bet.  And, Dressler is a shoe-in for HOF.

I think the biggest question is, when he retires does he do it in blue, or in green?

I agree with 66... if we have the SMS, and he'll play for less to try and get a ring, he's a great addition.  Even better, the guy has got to catch a break one of these years and remained uninjured!  The main knock on him is he's always hurt, and he's a bit expensive.  I don't see anyone complain that he can't still pick apart zones or run routes or make the circus catches.  So if he can solve his 2 problems and remain uninjured and become cheap, why not?

I seriously don't think we will re-sign him, but I would applaud if they did.  I agree again with 66 that a rec lineup of Adams, Matthews, Dressler, Woli, Demski would scare the beejeebus out of any opposing D.

Walter's and co have never really seemed interested in having ex-Bombers come back in any capacity

Buck?
Ricky Bobby

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 12:19:07 PM »

So true!!
GCn19

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »

I really like Dressler but I think he may not be the best fit for us this year unless he is willing to play for a 3rd receiver wage. Could he help us...sure...but I think his days as a Bomber are over because his salary would outweigh his usefulness. I think for SMS purposes the 3rd IMP receiver will have to be manned by someone on a rookie contract.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »

You bet.  And, Dressler is a shoe-in for HOF.

I think the biggest question is, when he retires does he do it in blue, or in green?

I agree with 66... if we have the SMS, and he'll play for less to try and get a ring, he's a great addition.  Even better, the guy has got to catch a break one of these years and remained uninjured!  The main knock on him is he's always hurt, and he's a bit expensive.  I don't see anyone complain that he can't still pick apart zones or run routes or make the circus catches.  So if he can solve his 2 problems and remain uninjured and become cheap, why not?

I seriously don't think we will re-sign him, but I would applaud if they did.  I agree again with 66 that a rec lineup of Adams, Matthews, Dressler, Woli, Demski would scare the beejeebus out of any opposing D.

Buck?

Not a question at all. It's green and no one should even think for a second that he should choose blue.
Horseman

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »

Not a question at all. It's green and no one should even think for a second that he should choose blue.

Yes, he should retire as a Rider (cough, spit, threw up in my mouth).
Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »

I really like Dressler but I think he may not be the best fit for us this year unless he is willing to play for a 3rd receiver wage. Could he help us...sure...but I think his days as a Bomber are over because his salary would outweigh his usefulness. I think for SMS purposes the 3rd IMP receiver will have to be manned by someone on a rookie contract.

Exactly. SMS, roster size and ratio prevent keeping Dressler around. Yes he may still be a more proven entity than some of the rookies. However if you don't put the rookie on the AR in place of a veteran, how do you know that a given rookie isn't better in the long run?

Every veteran is replaced eventually. Some are replaced too soon from a playing point of view but the real question is SMS across the entire roster.

No more excuses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: