Blue Bombers Forum
August 18, 2019, 09:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ed Tait's Positional Reviews  (Read 2212 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »

Positional Preview | Offensive Line

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/16/positional-preview-offensive-line-4/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_or_die

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »

Great read. Really shows how our draft and develop strategy has been a gigantic success, with pipeline bursting with potential Canadians to fill a big void. It sucks so much we lost Goosen and Chungh, but you have to credit Walters for preparing for such an event in the best way possible.

I think there will be some bumps in the first third of the season but after that the line will be a dominating unit. Luckily we have the league's best RB, a new receiver weapon and most of a core that has spent a year together, as well as a pretty cool QB under pressure, to alleviate some growing pains in that area.
TBURGESS

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »

The OL is the biggest question mark going into the season. We're forced to replace 2 NI all stars and we're choosing to go with a raw rookie and a guy who has 2 (?) starts. I'd give Walters more credit if he'd brought in an experienced guy to take one of the spots or if he'd 'overpaid' for Chungh.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »

The OL is the biggest question mark going into the season. We're forced to replace 2 NI all stars and we're choosing to go with a raw rookie and a guy who has 2 (?) starts. I'd give Walters more credit if he'd brought in an experienced guy to take one of the spots or if he'd 'overpaid' for Chungh.

Chungh may have still gone home to BC. If we had over paid him we might not have had money to sign Matthews as an example. Based on the small 2019 SMS increase that will have a ripple effect on rosters across the league.

We may have considered other Canadian OL available and not been successful. No one comes to mind.

Our OL may be a challenge in the early going. So it's a concern until proven otherwise. Long term we're probably fine. Have to wait and see who actually ends up starting.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »

If we overpay Chungh, how do we get Gray into the lineup?  Nefueld is our LG, and Couture our C (unless a rookie can beat him out, bring on the competition).  So, overpaying Chungh means making Gray a 6th man and while that kind of depth is awesome, it isn't really a great use of resources. 

I loved Goossen and Chungh up the middle, but I think we might be just fine with Couture and Gray now... with Speller/Dejarlais/Eli competing for 6th man and pushing Gray and Couture...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »

the price it would have taken to keep Chungh just wasn't worth it, especially with guys we have been developing, as well knowing we were going to get a top pick in the draft.

The loss of the 2 hurt for sure, but to be honest I am not too concerned at all, and sure we may see a bit of a drop initially in the first couple games, we may also not but fact of the matter Couture isn't a rookie, and sure Gray technically is, but isn't the standard definition of a rookie right out of the CIS or an Import new to the CFL...He is a NFL camp veteran, a guy who has been around the team since the last few weeks of last year, and if not because of his known NFL opportunity most likely could have been the #1 pick over all i his draft

And to be honest, I don't think it's even a certainty that either Couture or Gray grab a spot out of camp...or if both don't even lay claim to one, and if that is the case then I think we are in a really good spot O-line wise...the real dark horse is ELI and was a steal...it won't take him much more than a full training camp to get back in the swing, and if he is as advertised I can see him as the week one starter at center
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »

They already have Foketi as a fallback option, which F.A. do you think they should have brought in?  They'd either pay large for a good Natl. O-lineman or end up with a veteran plug with no upside.  Both options plug up the pipeline of O-lineman they're developing and most of that talent is on expiring two year contracts, so they either use them or lose them.  Have faith, Walters is managing the talent the way it should be managed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:40:48 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 05:03:56 PM »

They already have Foketi as a fallback option, which F.A. do you think they should have brought in?  They'd either pay large for a good Natl. O-lineman or end up with a veteran plug with no upside.  Both options plug up the pipeline of O-lineman they're developing and most of that talent is on expiring two year contracts, so they either use them or lose them.  Have faith, Walters is managing the talent the way it should be managed.
Foketi as a fall back option means starting another NI somewhere else. As the ratio didn't change, this is a bad idea IMO. I don't like the idea of starting 3 NI receivers or having to start both a NI safety and a DL on D.

Yes, they'd have to pay large for a starting NI OL or even a vet NI OL. It's still the right thing to do because finding 2 new NI OL who are both ready to start let alone thrive in the same year are very long odds indeed.

I'd be happier if we only had to replace one all star NI OL this year with a pipeline guy. I have no problems believing that one or two of our pipeline guys will eventually be quality starters, but no one knows if any of them will be viable starters this year.

Being right never gets old.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »

Foketi as a fall back option means starting another NI somewhere else. As the ratio didn't change, this is a bad idea IMO. I don't like the idea of starting 3 NI receivers or having to start both a NI safety and a DL on D.

Yes, they'd have to pay large for a starting NI OL or even a vet NI OL. It's still the right thing to do because finding 2 new NI OL who are both ready to start let alone thrive in the same year are very long odds indeed.

I'd be happier if we only had to replace one all star NI OL this year with a pipeline guy. I have no problems believing that one or two of our pipeline guys will eventually be quality starters, but no one knows if any of them will be viable starters this year.

I think we're looking at it like this:
The best option -  Three NI o-line
Next best option - Two NI o-line with three NI receivers

I don't think there's any realistic chance of starting a full-time Canadian DL this year. We likely could be going with both scenarios for games this year. It's a long season and injuries happen.
blue_or_die

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 06:04:07 PM »

99 times out of 100 you would probably be right as it relates to past Bomber teams, but I fully believe that this one particular year where forcing up 2 guys from our development program actually is better than signing an outsider, and I say that without even considering SMS implications.
theaardvark

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »

I think we're looking at it like this:
The best option -  Three NI o-line
Next best option - Two NI o-line with three NI receivers

I don't think there's any realistic chance of starting a full-time Canadian DL this year. We likely could be going with both scenarios for games this year. It's a long season and injuries happen.

You don't have to start a Nat DLineman to have a Nat Dline starters spot.  We have at least 3 Nat DL rotational guys, if one of them is on the field every down, that's a DL starting spot...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »

You don't have to start a Nat DLineman to have a Nat Dline starters spot.  We have at least 3 Nat DL rotational guys, if one of them is on the field every down, that's a DL starting spot...

So your answer is if you have 3 Canadian DL and none of them are good enough to be starters, then rotate them?

Yeah right.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »

So your answer is if you have 3 Canadian DL and none of them are good enough to be starters, then rotate them?

Yeah right.

You do realize that they have to play sometime, right?  You run 7 DL for a reason...  just make sure one of them is on the field...

Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »

You do realize that they have to play sometime, right?  You run 7 DL for a reason...  just make sure one of them is on the field...

I realize it. That doesn't mean it's an acceptable choice or the best choice to have a Canadian DL in on every defensive snap.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 11:03:14 PM »

I realize it. That doesn't mean it's an acceptable choice or the best choice to have a Canadian DL in on every defensive snap.

Exactly right, I want to see Nevis and Bryant playing most downs and only rotated out by a Natl. when a rest is needed.  Once Kongbo has recovered from his injury and proves he can play with the pros he may change the dynamic of the D-line and increase the ratio flexibility but I don't really see that happening this year.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:11:41 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: