Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2019, 03:14:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie Camp - May 15 to 18, 2019  (Read 3753 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »

From Ed Tait:

Watching OL vs  DL at #Bombers rookie camp and was impressed with the club?s draft picks - DT Connor Griffiths has a good motor, OL Drew Desjarlais is solid and C Asotui Eli flattened a rusher on one play

Must be some level of contact happening
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »

From Ed Tait:

Watching OL vs  DL at #Bombers rookie camp and was impressed with the club?s draft picks - DT Connor Griffiths has a good motor, OL Drew Desjarlais is solid and C Asotui Eli flattened a rusher on one play

I seem to recall good comments / publicity about Griffiths in local press while at university.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »

From Ed Tait:

Good to hear on Eli...doesn't sound like a guy not in football form
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »

Good to hear on Eli...doesn't sound like a guy not in football form

If Desjarlais, Eli and Gray will turnout good, Couture will suddenly in out looking in.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »

If Desjarlais, Eli and Gray will turnout good, Couture will suddenly in out looking in.

Sure maybe eventually, but not immediately.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:52:34 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »

I think Eli is the real wildcard. He really was extremely highly regarded when he played. If he's back and committed he could very well be legitimately pushing for a spot.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2019, 06:02:17 PM »

Sure maybe eventually, but not immediately.

I really wont be surprised if Eli will be our starting C in Week 1.
He has the pedigree.
kkc60

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »

I really wont be surprised if Eli will be our starting C in Week 1.
He has the pedigree.
As long as he's in shape he really could be. The guy was an NFL talents if it wasn't for his injury and "retirement".
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:23 AM »

Rookie Camp Day 2 Recap - Ed Tait

Thiadric Hansen figured he was done with football a year ago, until a buddy convinced him to give the game he loved one more season.

And now that decision could become life-changing for the German-born linebacker here at Winnipeg Blue Bombers rookie camp. Hansen, 26, now has a real shot at earning a spot with the club courtesy the Canadian Football League?s new 'global' player designation, which has been negotiated into the new collective bargaining agreement.

He is one of four global players in camp, along with three prospects from Mexico in kicker Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz, linebacker Manuel Hernandez-Reyes and defensive back Sergio Schiaffino Perez.

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," said Hansen after practice Thursday. "I actually thought last year was my last year of football, but I had a friend of mine say 'Just do one more year' and it worked out alright. It's amazing to have a job doing what you love and to have an opportunity to compete and get a job like this."

Hansen was working as a school bus driver when his coach with the Potsdam Royals reached him on the phone.

"They called me and my head coach said that the CFL wanted to invite me to the (National) combine," said Hansen. "I couldn't believe it... actually, I thought he was joking. But he said it was real. It was amazing. Soon after I went home, I went to the gym and started getting in shape and now I'm here.?

Hansen arrived a few days before the other rookies in camp, giving himself enough time to adjust for the jet lag. He said the first day of camp - the overall speed and trying to dive into the playbook - felt like a 'wake-up call.' But he was more comfortable on Thursday.

Fact is, Hansen has a legitimate shot at landing a real job here with the Bombers thanks to the new global designation, which will expand the roster to 45 and be separate from the nationals and internationals.

"I'm not trying to focus on that," he said. "I'll compete with all the linebackers at my spot and all the special teams players. I don't want to just be on the roster because there's a global spot. I want to earn my way. I'm not focusing on there being an extra global spot, I'm just trying to make the team regardless."

Asked to rate the global players after practice on Thursday, Bombers head coach Mike O?Shea offered this:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/16/rookie-camp-day-2-recap-3/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

We've added a roster spot for a global player which I take to be increasing the DI's from 4 to 5.

So in a best case scenario if a global player starts ( lets use Hansen at WIL as the example ), what does that do to the 5th DI roster spot. Does it need to be filled by another global player as a special designated DI situation? Or can it then be filled by an American since a global player is still on the roster.

My feeling is that some of the wording of the new CBA is not specific enough.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »

I?m curious to know how Gray has been looking in camp?
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »

I?m curious to know how Gray has been looking in camp?

The true evaluation will come on the main TC where these new OL guys will battle the line of Jeffcoat-Bryant-Nevis-Jefferson
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2019, 02:57:29 AM »

Rookie Camp Day 3 Recap - Ed Tait

Now the 'real' work begins...

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers wrapped up their three-day rookie camp late Friday morning, as over 50 players got a crash course in the Canadian game - the Canadian weather - and the expectations of coaches.

But with veteran players now arriving en masse in time for Sunday's opening of main training camp, the competition will get cranked up by a zillion.

"We've loaded them up, now they get two full days to recover, ask some questions, take an inventory of their body parts to make sure everything's there and get ready to go again," said Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea. "Unfortunately, the reps are going to be a little tougher to come by, so they've got to make the most of them."

The Bombers won't be on the field on Saturday, as physicals are finished before the entire squad dives right into offensive and defensive meetings.

Asked for his take on what he saw from the newcomers, O'Shea offered this:

"The guys we saw in Tampa (at the free-agent camp last month) are confirming what we saw. We didn't see the O-line and D-line down there, so it's fun to watch those guys."

KONGBO ON BOARD:

The Bombers announced Friday the signing of defensive end Jonathan Kongbo, the team's second of two first-round picks in the CFL Draft, fifth overall. Kongbo, who tore his ACL last year in a game against Auburn, will be evaluated by the team's medical staff before a date for his return to the field is clarified.

The 6-5, 255-pound Tennessee product played in 30 games, starting 17, over three seasons as a linebacker and defensive lineman with the Volunteers. He totalled 51 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, two interceptions (including a 50-yarder returned for a touchdown), and two knockdowns. He won the 2018 John Stucky award as Tennessee?s best performer in the weight room.

ONE IN, ANOTHER OUT:

The Bombers lost WR Malik Richards, their fifth-round draft pick, to a leg injury on Thursday and it was serious enough to force the club to make another move. Richards was replaced on the roster by Dylan Schrot of the Manitoba Bisons. Schrot was a Canada West All-Star and a U Sports Second-team All-Canadian. In his two seasons with the Bisons he had 66 catches for 1,026 yards and six TDs.

"Dylan Schrot is a helluva good receiver. He had close to 850 yards if not a bit more last year, scored a pile of touchdowns. He's really good," said O'Shea. "It's interesting because Matt and Strev have both thrown to him before as a guy that hung around and caught some balls for them to get some extra work. Those guys were right here available for our guys, so they already have a relationship with him. He's a hard worker and he deserves to be in a camp."

LEANER, MEANER:

Bombers QB Matt Nichols said Friday his offseason diet and regimen has him feeling the best he?s felt in years.

"It's something I worked extremely hard on this offseason," said Nichols. ?I talk about it every year, about trying to improve your game and for me there are aspects that always can be improved that I've focused on being able to make sure I'm able to run around a little bit better, extend plays and making some more plays with my feet.

"That's something I really focused on this offseason to have that translate into this season."

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »

So in a best case scenario if a global player starts ( lets use Hansen at WIL as the example ), what does that do to the 5th DI roster spot. Does it need to be filled by another global player as a special designated DI situation? Or can it then be filled by an American since a global player is still on the roster.

Darn good question.  Maybe they are expecting (counting on?) no GLOB will start.  Wink

I would assume if you start your GLOB that you do not get another DI.  However, if you did get another DI, it would almost certainly be allowed to be an American.  In fact, if you wanted to incentivize teams to start their GLOB, that would be a great way to do it.  "Start your GLOB, get a free extra USA DI."

My feeling is that some of the wording of the new CBA is not specific enough.

That's putting it mildly.  Then again, we haven't seen the final legal text yet, eh?
Blue In BC

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »

Darn good question.  Maybe they are expecting (counting on?) no GLOB will start.  Wink

I would assume if you start your GLOB that you do not get another DI.  However, if you did get another DI, it would almost certainly be allowed to be an American.  In fact, if you wanted to incentivize teams to start their GLOB, that would be a great way to do it.  "Start your GLOB, get a free extra USA DI."

That's putting it mildly.  Then again, we haven't seen the final legal text yet, eh?

The game day roster is going to be 45 whether the GLOB starts or not. So there has to be something to account for whether he starts or is just a DI. I have to believe that another GLOB would come onto the roster.

The real question of course is will we see these players capable of starting across the CFL in 2019? It seems unlikely but that will be interesting to watch in reports from TC's around the league.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: