Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2019, 03:18:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie Camp - May 15 to 18, 2019  (Read 3757 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: May 12, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »

Rookie Camp takes place this week.  Practices are open to the public and the schedule can be found at:

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=51528.0

Observation, opinions and general comments on Rookie Camp can be posted in this thread.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »

Please publish the roster and / or depth chart when it's available. That will clarify whether a couple of players not listed on the roster are still attending. Also might advise any no shows or medical failures.

thxs

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »

lets go bombers

looking for a few new stars to rise to the surface b/c they always do!

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
3rdand1.5

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »

Well I am excited for the rookie camp this whole CFLPA/CFL bargaining and strike threat is souring me on the whole CFL experience this year.
bigbuff33

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »

Same here...with so many sports options in the city now, the Bombers and CFL can't afford to be turning people off.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »

Will rookie camp even happen if the CBA issue isn't resolved? It's only two days away.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »

Will rookie camp even happen if the CBA issue isn't resolved? It's only two days away.

In theory yes. The non report wasn't supposed to start until TC start date on May 19. Kind of a catch 22 if rookie camp goes ahead and then everyone gets sent home.

Talks were scheduled to begin again today IIRC.

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »

i hope this CFL - CFLPA labour dispute will not ruin what could be the Bombers best off-season thus far.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »

In theory yes. The non report wasn't supposed to start until TC start date on May 19. Kind of a catch 22 if rookie camp goes ahead and then everyone gets sent home.

Talks were scheduled to begin again today IIRC.

Hopefully, that's the case and they figure it out soon.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »

Rookie Camp Preview with Kyle Walters - Ed Tait

Kyle Walters has been doing this general manager thing long enough to understand the importance of not speaking in hyperboles and instead adhering to the principle of trying to under-promise and over deliver.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM is part of a crew that has put together the second-best regular season record in the Canadian Football League to the Calgary Stampeders over the last three years but - and yes, yes, yes, they're aware - have yet to see it pay off on the last Sunday in November.

"I like our roster," the Bombers GM stated during a media conference call on Monday. "The general sentiment in that locker room is we've had a couple of good years. We just need to take that next step.

"You can't just turn it on halfway through the year, particularly in the West where if you lose two or three games you think you maybe should have won in the summer you're not going to win the West. It just doesn't happen like that. You need to start Day 1 training camp competing and pushing knowing that anything, the slightest fall, means it's highly likely you're going to be out of winning the Western Division. And the best way of getting to the Grey Cup is to win that West and it starts with Day 1 of training camp."

The Bombers - or wannabe Bombers - will first step on the field Wednesday afternoon with the first of three rookie camp sessions. Walters weighed in on that and took a peek ahead to the scheduled opening of main camp on Sunday in his media session.

Here are the highlights...

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 02:09:12 AM »

4 drafted global players will be at rookie camp? Ok but it would help when they announce those signings when it happens and clarify the ratio aspect.

I wasn't even aware there were 4 players drafted. I thought the entire pool was only 18 with a one round draft. Nothing like keeping fans well informed.

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 02:17:07 AM »

4 drafted global players will be at rookie camp? Ok but it would help when they announce those signings when it happens and clarify the ratio aspect.

I wasn't even aware there were 4 players drafted. I thought the entire pool was only 18 with a one round draft. Nothing like keeping fans well informed.

3 from Mexican draft, and 1 from Europe, I believe.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/01/14/mexicos-top-talent-selected-cfl-lfa-draft/

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/11/first-cfl-european-draft-take-place-1-p-m-et/

It's possible they are not signed yet but brought in for a workout.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:25:00 AM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 03:35:55 AM »

Fans have been well informed. Just seems you haven't been keeping up  Grin
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »

Fans have been well informed. Just seems you haven't been keeping up  Grin

The simple solution is to update the roster at least once a week. I see the Florida mini camp QB McQuire is also attending.

BTW we've never been informed exactly about how the global players fit into the ratio equation.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »

The simple solution is to update the roster at least once a week. I see the Florida mini camp QB McQuire is also attending.

BTW we've never been informed exactly about how the global players fit into the ratio equation.
No but you seemed to be talking about the 3 Mexican players
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »

No but you seemed to be talking about the 3 Mexican players

Which part of not added onto the roster and ratio are you not understanding. We drafted players in the CFL draft. 6 have been announced, signed AND added to the roster. 3 have not.

McQuire is another example of attending but not shown on the roster. There is now a roster limit of 75 " counters ". McQuire would be one and would need to be signed to attend the rookie camp.

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »

Those global players and McGuire has not appeared on the CFL.ca transaction page and not signing announcements yet. So maybe there will be later.

But the question is, Can they bring guys on the Rookie Camp without contracts yet?
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »

Well I am excited for the rookie camp this whole CFLPA/CFL bargaining and strike threat is souring me on the whole CFL experience this year.

I remember feeling this way last time ('13 or '14?) Normally I get so jacked for the start of training camp, counting down the weeks before it starts, but all of a sudden I saw a tweet last week reminding me it was 8 days away and I couldn't believe it. If and when something gets done I will get all giddy. I remember where I was when I saw the tweet saying they came to an agreement the last time and how jacked up I was.
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »

Those global players and McGuire has not appeared on the CFL.ca transaction page and not signing announcements yet. So maybe there will be later.

But the question is, Can they bring guys on the Rookie Camp without contracts yet?

Canadian University players that are just getting exposure / experience usually get some TC time. There is a Canadian QB coming ( Buettner from Ottawa Gee Gees ). Not yet draft eligible etc. Just a development thing. Last year we had a few kids from the rifles attend.

Beyond that every player must be signed to attend IIRC and part of the 75 player mandate. A few 2018 returning draft choices and 2019 draft choices are non counters as far as the 75 player mandate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:32:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 03:51:17 PM »

Please publish the roster and / or depth chart when it's available. That will clarify whether a couple of players not listed on the roster are still attending. Also might advise any no shows or medical failures.

thxs

Rookie Camp roster will be released tomorrow morning.

Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »

Jeff Hamilton and the Freep has it today:

Kevin Anderson, QB

Rasheed Bailey, WR

Bryan Bennett, QB

Christian Boutte, DB

Malik Boynton, DB

Chauncey Briggs, OL

Kendall Calhoun, OL

Patrick Choudja, DE

Amari Coleman, DB

Tyneil Cooper, DB

Joe Este, DB

Jacob Firlotte, DB*

Geoff Gray, OL*

Nick Hallet, DB*

Thiadric Hansen, LB+

Matt Hazel, WR

Chris Humes, DB

Dexter Janke, DB*

Garrett Johnson, WR

Mike Jones, DB

Ben Koczwara, OL*

Tariq LaChance, DL*

Kenny Lawler, WR

Fernando Richarte Martinez, WR+

Alex McCalister, DE

Charles Nelson, WR

Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz, K+

Matthew Ouellet De Carlo, OL*

Sergio Shiaffino Perez, DB+

Evan Perrizo, DL

Otha Peters Jr., LB

Marcus Rios, DB

Ja?Von Rolland-Jones, DE

Larry Rose III, RB

Cody Speller, OL*

Josh Stewart, WR

Chris Streveler, QB

Nick Temple, LB

Kenneth Walker, WR

Dale Warren, LB

Lucky Whitehead, WR

Tim Wilson, WR

* Denotes Canadian

+ Denotes ?Global? player

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-host-three-day-rookie-camp-509873192.html

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »

Fernando Richarte Martinez is wrong. He's a BC pick.

We picked 2 DBs and a K in the Mexican Draft

That list includes German linebacker Thiadric Hansen as well as Mexican defensive backs Sergio Perez and Eduardo Reyes, and kicker Gabriel Ortiz.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:40:11 PM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
thunderNlightning

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »

What?s happening with Desjarlais? I?ve been kind out if the loop lately. Obviously unsigned.
kkc60

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 05:05:57 PM »

Which part of not added onto the roster and ratio are you not understanding. We drafted players in the CFL draft. 6 have been announced, signed AND added to the roster. 3 have not.

McQuire is another example of attending but not shown on the roster. There is now a roster limit of 75 " counters ". McQuire would be one and would need to be signed to attend the rookie camp.

You literally said you weren't aware of the other 3 players being drafted.
Stretch

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »

What?s happening with Desjarlais? I?ve been kind out if the loop lately. Obviously unsigned.

Saw a tweet from Justin Dunk saying he's working out for the New York Jets today.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 05:21:10 PM »

You literally said you weren't aware of the other 3 players being drafted.

I wasn't but being drafted is not the same as being announced,  signed and added to the roster. And the more important issue still involves the question about ratio.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:48:01 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »

You said.

Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »

You said.

I've already acknowledged that with as much clarification as possible. If that sum total of keeping fans well informed was fine with you then ok.

Looking at the rookie camp list:

Washington is not listed on rookie camp roster but still on main roster.
Battle was an announced signing but never listed on the roster and now not an attendee.
Hall was a recent signing shown on CFL.CA also not attending.
Buettner ( Canadian QB ) announced as attending but not on the list.
Mcquire also not shown on the rookie camp list.
Baker, new OT just signed not on the rookie camp list.

We listed a player BC drafted? lol

All this sound like well informed information? Sounds like a few exceptions keeping in mind for every new player added to the 75 counters we likely need to release someone.

Just a guess but I doubt Battle is under contract and I'm beginning to wonder whether Washington was released recently as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:54:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »

I've already acknowledged that with as much clarification as possible. If that sum total of keeping fans well informed was fine with you then ok.

Battle was an announced signing but never listed on the roster and now not an attendee.

All this sound like well informed information? Sounds like a few exceptions keeping in mind for every new player added to the 75 counters we likely need to release someone.

Just a guess but I doubt Battle is under contract and I'm beginning to wonder whether Washington was released recently as well.

Admire your attention to detail, but getting all OCD about precise accuracy between signing announcements, cfl.ca transactions page and official roster is going to give you an ulcer.  Particularly when a large number of these guys are never actually going to play in the CFL.

My own philosophy is to track veteran free agents and draft picks from the 4th round and up, and I'll worry about who the other guys are if they actually make a splash in training camp.  But your mileage may vary....

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »

Admire your attention to detail, but getting all OCD about precise accuracy between signing announcements, cfl.ca transactions page and official roster is going to give you an ulcer.  Particularly when a large number of these guys are never actually going to play in the CFL.

My own philosophy is to track veteran free agents and draft picks from the 4th round and up, and I'll worry about who the other guys are if they actually make a splash in training camp.  But your mileage may vary....

I'm retired so I spend a lot of time looking at the activity and conversations about expectations of specific players. No big deal but it shouldn't be this difficult for teams or the CFL to keep things straight.

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »

I think they can bring guy(s) in Winnipeg (during Rookie Camp for tryouts)... and get them signed if they are good.

Blue In BC

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »

I think they can bring guy(s) in Winnipeg (during Rookie Camp for tryouts)... and get them signed if they are good.

I don't believe that is correct. Regardless there will probably be some changes after rookie camp. A couple of releases and new additions which I would be more likely to think didn't attend the rookie camp.

Adding players that were on neg lists and still be negotiated with at the moment. The new OL as an example. A little late to the party but may still be a main TC player and competitor.

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 06:21:35 PM »

Who is "we"?  This is Jeff Hamilton's list - not from the Bombers.  The official list will be published tomorrow.

M.O.A.B.

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »

I don't believe that is correct. Regardless there will probably be some changes after rookie camp. A couple of releases and new additions which I would be more likely to think didn't attend the rookie camp.

Adding players that were on neg lists and still be negotiated with at the moment. The new OL as an example. A little late to the party but may still be a main TC player and competitor.

There's no difference on bringing a prospect (for tryout) in Winnipeg and any other places. I believe there's no restriction to that.

And I would think McManus, Goeveia and Rigmadien will be all here in Winnipeg during this rookie camp so it will be logical to bring their prospects here.
Blue72

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »

What is happening with our 2nd pick Jonathon Kongbo, is he going to sign or wait until he is healthy enough and try the NFL? It would have been good to attend TC to pick up some schemes even if he doesn't practice.
I see that our two backup QBs are on the list of attending players but not Nichols.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »

What is happening with our 2nd pick Jonathon Kongbo, is he going to sign or wait until he is healthy enough and try the NFL? It would have been good to attend TC to pick up some schemes even if he doesn't practice.
I see that our two backup QBs are on the list of attending players but not Nichols.

Both Streveler and Bennett are attending, I think it would be wise for Nichols to be there as well to add leadership and a helping arm. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »

Who is "we"?  This is Jeff Hamilton's list - not from the Bombers.  The official list will be published tomorrow.

Sure but he must have gotten his info from somewhere. I'll look at the official list tomorrow and see what that looks like.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »

Sure but he must have gotten his info from somewhere. I'll look at the official list tomorrow and see what that looks like.

I think you better check sooner than that. And if not, check all sites again an hour later.

A strongly worded letter to CFL HQ may be required.
Blue72

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »

Nichols needs to see how the new receivers look plus the way he ended last season he also needs more practice. He sure threw a lot of balls either out of bounds or missed a lot of players verses Calgary's game. Calgary covered Harris pretty good which Nichols lost his go to guy.
This is a good chance to shake off the rust of a long layoff so there is "NO" excuse during the beginning of the season, or is he worried that he might get hurt again and Streveler  will start the season again.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:28:30 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »

Nichols needs to see how the new receivers look plus the way he ended last season he also needs more practice. He sure threw a lot of balls either out of bounds or missed a lot of players verses Calgary's game. Calgary covered Harris pretty good which Nichols lost his go to guy.
This is a good chance to shake off the rust of a long layoff so there is "NO" excuse during the beginning of the season, or is he worried that he might get hurt again and Streveler  will start the season again.

Would you have rather he threw more int's instead of throwing to receivers that were covered?

Nichols may show up at rookie camp to watch from the sidelines. I doubt he " needs " to shake off any more rust than anyone else.

Thinking he is worried about injury or Streveler will start ahead of him? Injuries can always happen but Streveler hasn't yet earned the right to be the # 1 QB IMO.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »

Would you have rather he threw more int's instead of throwing to receivers that were covered?

Nichols may show up at rookie camp to watch from the sidelines. I doubt he " needs " to shake off any more rust than anyone else.

Thinking he is worried about injury or Streveler will start ahead of him? Injuries can always happen but Streveler hasn't yet earned the right to be the # 1 QB IMO.

After the hysterics of last season Nichols has more pressure to perform well right out of the gate this season, I hope he's wrapped his mind around that during the off-season and comes back mentally stronger.  Showing up ready to throw at rookie camp would be a positive way to demonstrate he's ready to take the bull by the horns and prove to everyone he's the main man.
Blue In BC

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:09 PM »

After the hysterics of last season Nichols has more pressure to perform well right out of the gate this season, I hope he's wrapped his mind around that during the off-season and comes back mentally stronger.  Showing up ready to throw at rookie camp would be a positive way to demonstrate he's ready to take the bull by the horns and prove to everyone he's the main man.

I wouldn't call his 2018 attitude as hysterics but it wasn't good either, deflecting blame. Nothing would be lost by him showing up at rookie camp but IMO it isn't necessary to show he's mentally stronger.

2018 was a bit of an aberration getting injured in TC and then playing with a brace for the season. Many players have commented during his pro career that he is a leader and I have no doubt that is true. I don't see that as something he needs to prove to his teammates. He's proven to management he's the main man. Fans always love the # 2 QB across the league. Too much pressure on young players especially QB's.

As far as Streveler he played very well and we all like his upside. OTOH it would appear that Lapo may have also told him to not turnover the ball ( play conservatively ) at times by throwing out of bounds etc etc. He missed many open receivers as well. That was not exclusive to Nichols.

In his 2nd season he may be allowed more freedom or not. Defenses will have more film on him and may work to contain him in the pocket and force him to be more of a drop back QB.

We've seen this as fairly common when mobile QB's have early success. That's part of what happened to Jennings in BC. He was contained and forced to read defenses better than he was in year 1 on more broken play types.

It's also more common for mobile running QB's to experience injuries than drop back QB's with quick release play calling. So I took somewhat of an exception to Blue72's suggestion about Nichols's being any more worried about injury than any other QB.

Just look at he career curve for Collaros and his injury history.

Hopefully neither gets injured but we saw how many QB's across the league were injured.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 04:03:08 AM »

I wasn't but being drafted is not the same as being announced,  signed and added to the roster. And the more important issue still involves the question about ratio.
Okay sure but I was still responding to part of your post. No need to get nippy
kkc60

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 04:04:39 AM »

Probably just compiles all signings and drafted players
Blue In BC

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »

Okay sure but I was still responding to part of your post. No need to get nippy

I wasn't trying to do that. I made a statement about cumulative issues to the roster.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »

I wasn't trying to do that. I made a statement about cumulative issues to the roster.

Blue In BC

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »

lol. The 2nd quote you included was the cumulative comments I was making that you weren't addressing. You choose to jump on the fact I missed the Mexican draft which was only 1 small part of the overall conversation about the incompleteness of team information.

Smiley

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »

Blue In BC

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »

Ok some interesting information. 55 players attending rookie camp. Main roster shows 89 players which includes all the non counter draft choices. By my count 3 from 2018 CFL draft, 8 from 2019 CFL draft and 4 from global draft.

Battle ( DB ) ( at Florida mini camp ), Mcquire ( QB ) and Hall (DB ) now on the main roster and attending rookie camp.

All the global players are attending rookie camp and listed as IMPORTS. Whether that's what they will be in the final process or whether a new classification is created? Don't know.

Hubert ( WR ) is on the main roster and rookie camp roster. He was at Florida mini camp.

Washington ( WR ) still on main roster but did not attend mini camp and now not rookie camp? Perhaps he was excused due to business, family issues or new medical issues? Lots of competition at receiver. Missing time won't help chances.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:21:16 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »

Blue Bombers Transactions - May 15, 2019

WINNIPEG, MB., May 15, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following player transactions:

Add to roster:

National defensive back Payton Hall (Saskatchewan)

International defensive back Elijah Battle (West Virginia)

International receiver Chris Hubert (Fayetteville State)

International offensive lineman Delroy Baker (Indiana)

International quarterback Sean McGuire (Western Illinois)

International kicker Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz

International linebacker Manuel Hernandez-Reyes

International defensive back Sergio Schiaffino Perez

International linebacker Thiadric Hansen

ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »

Darrin Bauming, TSN.
‏ @DarrinBauming
27s27 seconds ago

Rookie linebacker Otha Peters Jr failed his physical and has been released. The #Bombers will likely fill that roster spot with a new offensive lineman.

kkc60

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »

lol. The 2nd quote you included was the cumulative comments I was making that you weren't addressing. You choose to jump on the fact I missed the Mexican draft which was only 1 small part of the overall conversation about the incompleteness of team information.

Smiley
Didn't jump. Just responded to what I knew I could answer. If you want I can just throw up a bunch of hypotheticals next time so i address everything
PeVee

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »

Anybody at the practise? Can't wait to hear about it.
Blue In BC

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 07:55:20 PM »

Darrin Bauming, TSN.
‏ @DarrinBauming
27s27 seconds ago

Rookie linebacker Otha Peters Jr failed his physical and has been released. The #Bombers will likely fill that roster spot with a new offensive lineman.

We've got 14 OL coming already but sure add another one. The next S. Bryant could be the next guy they find.

Still thinking we're a little thin at import LB but we can add as needed I suppose.

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2019, 02:05:29 AM »

Rookie Camp Day 1 Recap - Ed Tait

Brady Oliveira knelt for a moment at the edge of the practice field near the Subway South Soccer Complex late Wednesday afternoon, crossed himself and thanked the big man upstairs.

And the next step he took - as one of the 53 players at Winnipeg Blue Bombers rookie camp - was a significant one for the 21-year-old hometown product.

"You have no idea how much fun I had out there today," Oliveira told a large swarm of media after the first session of rookie camp. "It's a dream come true me being back in my hometown, wearing this blue and gold... it's a dream come true. I had so much fun out there.

"Being out in the U.S., I kinda forgot how much fun the Canadian game is with all the motions and stuff. I really did enjoy it. It was probably the most fun in football I've had in a very long time."

"It took me a little bit of time to remember I'm never staying still in the backfield, I'm always motioning," said Oliveira. "It is a lot of fun and it definitely does cause a lot of confusion for the defence.

"But the most fun I had out here was just catching the football. I didn't catch the ball much at UND (North Dakota) and it seems like out here every second play the running back is getting released out of the backfield and running routes. I think that's one of my strong suits. Just being able to catch the ball out here today was a lot of fun."

It's impossible to draw any conclusions from the first day of camp, particularly rookie camp, but Oliveira - selected in the second round, 14th overall, in the CFL Draft earlier this month - certainly looked comfortable running and catching out of the backfield.

It's his pass-catching skills that might be most important for Oliveira to showcase during camp, seeing as offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice has utilized Andrew Harris' exceptional hands as a regular component in the attack. Oliveira and Johnny Augustine are the two Canadians listed behind Harris on the depth chart, along with import Larry Rose III, the New Mexico State product who has had NFL looks from the Tennessee Titans and Los Angeles Rams.

Wanna-b-fanboy

Richard Harris 1948-2011

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »

Gotta Love Coach's love of the game
"Bombers head coach Mike O?Shea on being back on the field coaching after a long offseason:

?It?s hard to describe. Six years in (as Bombers head coach) and you still can?t help but feel excited. A guy wins a one on one or somebody makes a catch and it?s like this is the greatest thing on earth. I like that feeling. I?m not going to try and temper it, it?s a good feeling.

?I love it. I?m telling you, It?s a long offseason watching film and making plans. And when you finally get out here with a lot of players flying around and giving a lot of effort, taking coaching well and learning to communicate with their teammates, it?s all good stuff. It really is.?
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »

Ed Tait
‏ @EdTaitWFC
17m17 minutes ago

Watching 1on1s at #Bombers rookie camp and Charles Nelson's speed at receiver really jumps out. Lucky Whitehead having a good session, too
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 03:47:23 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

theaardvark

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »

Is Eli on teh field?  Is anyone looking his direction?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn18

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 03:49:28 PM »

Is Eli on teh field?  Is anyone looking his direction?

You won't see anything worthwhile from the OL during rookie camp as it is non-contact.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

From Bauming:

Receiver Matt Hazel is catching attention at #Bombers camp. A name to watch.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »

From Ed Tait:

Watching OL vs  DL at #Bombers rookie camp and was impressed with the club?s draft picks - DT Connor Griffiths has a good motor, OL Drew Desjarlais is solid and C Asotui Eli flattened a rusher on one play

Must be some level of contact happening
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »

From Ed Tait:

Watching OL vs  DL at #Bombers rookie camp and was impressed with the club?s draft picks - DT Connor Griffiths has a good motor, OL Drew Desjarlais is solid and C Asotui Eli flattened a rusher on one play

I seem to recall good comments / publicity about Griffiths in local press while at university.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »

From Ed Tait:

Good to hear on Eli...doesn't sound like a guy not in football form
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »

Good to hear on Eli...doesn't sound like a guy not in football form

If Desjarlais, Eli and Gray will turnout good, Couture will suddenly in out looking in.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »

If Desjarlais, Eli and Gray will turnout good, Couture will suddenly in out looking in.

Sure maybe eventually, but not immediately.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:52:34 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »

I think Eli is the real wildcard. He really was extremely highly regarded when he played. If he's back and committed he could very well be legitimately pushing for a spot.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2019, 06:02:17 PM »

Sure maybe eventually, but not immediately.

I really wont be surprised if Eli will be our starting C in Week 1.
He has the pedigree.
kkc60

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »

I really wont be surprised if Eli will be our starting C in Week 1.
He has the pedigree.
As long as he's in shape he really could be. The guy was an NFL talents if it wasn't for his injury and "retirement".
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:23 AM »

Rookie Camp Day 2 Recap - Ed Tait

Thiadric Hansen figured he was done with football a year ago, until a buddy convinced him to give the game he loved one more season.

And now that decision could become life-changing for the German-born linebacker here at Winnipeg Blue Bombers rookie camp. Hansen, 26, now has a real shot at earning a spot with the club courtesy the Canadian Football League?s new 'global' player designation, which has been negotiated into the new collective bargaining agreement.

He is one of four global players in camp, along with three prospects from Mexico in kicker Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz, linebacker Manuel Hernandez-Reyes and defensive back Sergio Schiaffino Perez.

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," said Hansen after practice Thursday. "I actually thought last year was my last year of football, but I had a friend of mine say 'Just do one more year' and it worked out alright. It's amazing to have a job doing what you love and to have an opportunity to compete and get a job like this."

Hansen was working as a school bus driver when his coach with the Potsdam Royals reached him on the phone.

"They called me and my head coach said that the CFL wanted to invite me to the (National) combine," said Hansen. "I couldn't believe it... actually, I thought he was joking. But he said it was real. It was amazing. Soon after I went home, I went to the gym and started getting in shape and now I'm here.?

Hansen arrived a few days before the other rookies in camp, giving himself enough time to adjust for the jet lag. He said the first day of camp - the overall speed and trying to dive into the playbook - felt like a 'wake-up call.' But he was more comfortable on Thursday.

Fact is, Hansen has a legitimate shot at landing a real job here with the Bombers thanks to the new global designation, which will expand the roster to 45 and be separate from the nationals and internationals.

"I'm not trying to focus on that," he said. "I'll compete with all the linebackers at my spot and all the special teams players. I don't want to just be on the roster because there's a global spot. I want to earn my way. I'm not focusing on there being an extra global spot, I'm just trying to make the team regardless."

Asked to rate the global players after practice on Thursday, Bombers head coach Mike O?Shea offered this:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/16/rookie-camp-day-2-recap-3/

Blue In BC

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

We've added a roster spot for a global player which I take to be increasing the DI's from 4 to 5.

So in a best case scenario if a global player starts ( lets use Hansen at WIL as the example ), what does that do to the 5th DI roster spot. Does it need to be filled by another global player as a special designated DI situation? Or can it then be filled by an American since a global player is still on the roster.

My feeling is that some of the wording of the new CBA is not specific enough.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »

I?m curious to know how Gray has been looking in camp?
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »

I?m curious to know how Gray has been looking in camp?

The true evaluation will come on the main TC where these new OL guys will battle the line of Jeffcoat-Bryant-Nevis-Jefferson
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2019, 02:57:29 AM »

Rookie Camp Day 3 Recap - Ed Tait

Now the 'real' work begins...

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers wrapped up their three-day rookie camp late Friday morning, as over 50 players got a crash course in the Canadian game - the Canadian weather - and the expectations of coaches.

But with veteran players now arriving en masse in time for Sunday's opening of main training camp, the competition will get cranked up by a zillion.

"We've loaded them up, now they get two full days to recover, ask some questions, take an inventory of their body parts to make sure everything's there and get ready to go again," said Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea. "Unfortunately, the reps are going to be a little tougher to come by, so they've got to make the most of them."

The Bombers won't be on the field on Saturday, as physicals are finished before the entire squad dives right into offensive and defensive meetings.

Asked for his take on what he saw from the newcomers, O'Shea offered this:

"The guys we saw in Tampa (at the free-agent camp last month) are confirming what we saw. We didn't see the O-line and D-line down there, so it's fun to watch those guys."

KONGBO ON BOARD:

The Bombers announced Friday the signing of defensive end Jonathan Kongbo, the team's second of two first-round picks in the CFL Draft, fifth overall. Kongbo, who tore his ACL last year in a game against Auburn, will be evaluated by the team's medical staff before a date for his return to the field is clarified.

The 6-5, 255-pound Tennessee product played in 30 games, starting 17, over three seasons as a linebacker and defensive lineman with the Volunteers. He totalled 51 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, two interceptions (including a 50-yarder returned for a touchdown), and two knockdowns. He won the 2018 John Stucky award as Tennessee?s best performer in the weight room.

ONE IN, ANOTHER OUT:

The Bombers lost WR Malik Richards, their fifth-round draft pick, to a leg injury on Thursday and it was serious enough to force the club to make another move. Richards was replaced on the roster by Dylan Schrot of the Manitoba Bisons. Schrot was a Canada West All-Star and a U Sports Second-team All-Canadian. In his two seasons with the Bisons he had 66 catches for 1,026 yards and six TDs.

"Dylan Schrot is a helluva good receiver. He had close to 850 yards if not a bit more last year, scored a pile of touchdowns. He's really good," said O'Shea. "It's interesting because Matt and Strev have both thrown to him before as a guy that hung around and caught some balls for them to get some extra work. Those guys were right here available for our guys, so they already have a relationship with him. He's a hard worker and he deserves to be in a camp."

LEANER, MEANER:

Bombers QB Matt Nichols said Friday his offseason diet and regimen has him feeling the best he?s felt in years.

"It's something I worked extremely hard on this offseason," said Nichols. ?I talk about it every year, about trying to improve your game and for me there are aspects that always can be improved that I've focused on being able to make sure I'm able to run around a little bit better, extend plays and making some more plays with my feet.

"That's something I really focused on this offseason to have that translate into this season."

TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »

So in a best case scenario if a global player starts ( lets use Hansen at WIL as the example ), what does that do to the 5th DI roster spot. Does it need to be filled by another global player as a special designated DI situation? Or can it then be filled by an American since a global player is still on the roster.

Darn good question.  Maybe they are expecting (counting on?) no GLOB will start.  Wink

I would assume if you start your GLOB that you do not get another DI.  However, if you did get another DI, it would almost certainly be allowed to be an American.  In fact, if you wanted to incentivize teams to start their GLOB, that would be a great way to do it.  "Start your GLOB, get a free extra USA DI."

My feeling is that some of the wording of the new CBA is not specific enough.

That's putting it mildly.  Then again, we haven't seen the final legal text yet, eh?
Blue In BC

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »

Darn good question.  Maybe they are expecting (counting on?) no GLOB will start.  Wink

I would assume if you start your GLOB that you do not get another DI.  However, if you did get another DI, it would almost certainly be allowed to be an American.  In fact, if you wanted to incentivize teams to start their GLOB, that would be a great way to do it.  "Start your GLOB, get a free extra USA DI."

That's putting it mildly.  Then again, we haven't seen the final legal text yet, eh?

The game day roster is going to be 45 whether the GLOB starts or not. So there has to be something to account for whether he starts or is just a DI. I have to believe that another GLOB would come onto the roster.

The real question of course is will we see these players capable of starting across the CFL in 2019? It seems unlikely but that will be interesting to watch in reports from TC's around the league.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »

The game day roster is going to be 45 whether the GLOB starts or not. So there has to be something to account for whether he starts or is just a DI. I have to believe that another GLOB would come onto the roster.

The real question of course is will we see these players capable of starting across the CFL in 2019? It seems unlikely but that will be interesting to watch in reports from TC's around the league.
I'm pretty sure that the CFL looked at the compete level of the Globals and saw that none of them were anywhere near ready to start. They gave them a 'special' spot where they could put them to try and get them up to snuff. I'd be shocked if any of them get a starting spot. Most we can expect is that one or two will play special teams this year.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the CFL looked at the compete level of the Globals and saw that none of them were anywhere near ready to start. They gave them a 'special' spot where they could put them to try and get them up to snuff. I'd be shocked if any of them get a starting spot. Most we can expect is that one or two will play special teams this year.

I'll be shocked as well but have some hope for Hansen since we got him as the 2nd pick overall. If the globals can't even play ST's then it really shows how bad an idea this was.

We drafted a kicker. He might have a chance to get on the roster to be used in mop up situations and see how he performs. Perhaps he's a better punter than Medlock and might be future in 2020?

A lot of the globals drafted are non ST type players.

This experiment would be less of an issue if teams were not struggling financially.

My bone to pick is that we'll pay 2 players to sit and not dress on the DR that are probably superior players.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:44:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
mondo3

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »

I see we released our 5th round draft pick Malik
ModAdmin
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »

I see we released our 5th round draft pick Malik

As has been mentioned Malik suffered a serious leg injury at the Rookie Camp and is sidelined for the season.

Krahnillogical

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2019, 09:41:17 PM »

I'll be shocked as well but have some hope for Hansen since we got him as the 2nd pick overall. If the globals can't even play ST's then it really shows how bad an idea this was.

We drafted a kicker. He might have a chance to get on the roster to be used in mop up situations and see how he performs. Perhaps he's a better punter than Medlock and might be future in 2020?

A lot of the globals drafted are non ST type players.

This experiment would be less of an issue if teams were not struggling financially.

My bone to pick is that we'll pay 2 players to sit and not dress on the DR that are probably superior players.

Ultimately the league needs to find additional sources of revenue. Ambrosie and the CFL did a lot of research on this idea over the last year. If they believe there is potential to develop multiple small media contract revenues in Mexico and Europe, then why not try it? The roster position is an investment that you hope to grow into future revenue. Hope it works.
Blue In BC

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »

Ultimately the league needs to find additional sources of revenue. Ambrosie and the CFL did a lot of research on this idea over the last year. If they believe there is potential to develop multiple small media contract revenues in Mexico and Europe, then why not try it? The roster position is an investment that you hope to grow into future revenue. Hope it works.

Ockam's Razor. The simple solution is to grow the fan interest in CANADA. Market better and convince more fans to attend games. You know the one where the ratio is supposed to interest fans to watch.

If that's not the case eliminate it and fill rosters with American players. Which market is the bigger market place to draw interest? If the logic is that Europeans will watch CFL games because of one global player, what do you think happens if you add 21 X 9 teams more of imports?

We can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:49:01 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Krahnillogical

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »

Occam's Razor. The simple solution is to grow the fan interest in CANADA. Market better and convince more fans to attend games.

They've been trying to grow the fan interest in Canada since 1907. Limited growth opportunities at this point. Always need to be looking at other opportunities.
Blue In BC

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2019, 10:52:46 PM »

They've been trying to grow the fan interest in Canada since 1907. Limited growth opportunities at this point. Always need to be looking at other opportunities.

That's not the point. The point is if you can't do that in Canada, do you really think adding a global player is going to make a difference in Europe?

Here's a thought. There are 30K empty seats in Vancouver ( upper level closed ). Create a lower cost family friendly zone. Give 10K free seats to anyone younger than 18 ( high school kids ). Do the same for anyone going to UBC or SFU. These are not people currently buying tickets in any volume. Those are the people that can't afford $90 tickets.

Those are the fans of the future if you interest them as youths.

No more excuses.
Krahnillogical

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2019, 12:50:45 AM »

That's not the point. The point is if you can't do that in Canada, do you really think adding a global player is going to make a difference in Europe?

Here's a thought. There are 30K empty seats in Vancouver ( upper level closed ). Create a lower cost family friendly zone. Give 10K free seats to anyone younger than 18 ( high school kids ). Do the same for anyone going to UBC or SFU. These are not people currently buying tickets in any volume. Those are the people that can't afford $90 tickets.

Doing those things you mentioned doesn't preclude them from trying to go after other forms of revenue and other markets... but keep arguing if you like.
Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »

Doing those things you mentioned doesn't preclude them from trying to go after other forms of revenue and other markets... but keep arguing if you like.

A good business decision is a good business decision. This is not a good decision in a time frame where teams are losing money.  Shouldn't be difficult to understand. It's a risk analysis question.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:12:40 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2019, 01:25:00 AM »

I agree, Blue In BC... the true 'difference maker' will lie within the borders of Canada... not to say that there isn't opportunity in the global market, albeit limited, how do you monetize that, or at a level that could actually benefit the league, or in a time frame that it can help current teams/league?

not if you are to believe the statistics that the media like 3downnation or such are reporting... NFL interest and rating continue to rise in Canada and exceed that of the CFL...

Maybe Ambrosie could create opportunity here by actually sitting down with those demographic groups that are moving towards the NFL in each market place and find out why that is?

Maybe Ambrosie should require anyone interested in TV rights for the CFL in countries outside of Canada actually air at least half of the games each week on an actual television channel already accessible by the majority of the market, not via a private, non promoted, viewer paid app? I have no clue what ESPN pays for the CFL rights here in the states, but, if their answer is making their current customers have to pay an additional money fee in order to access it, the CFL might as well create their own app and collect the revenue generated for it here in the states themselves...  I don't know that there is any restrictions relative to orgin of product when it comes to creating and making apps available to the global market place...

ESPN isn't the only player in the sports television business... NBC, CBS, and FOX, or even the NFL Network, would love to add more football to their sports channels...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »

I'm not against trying something new to expand the global market.

The CFL is not the NFL. The organization of the league and individual team members do not have either the manpower or money to consider all options. Reports are that 6 of 9 teams lost money in 2018.

The CFL does not play exhibition games in Mexico or Europe. The NFL does not have a restrictive ratio rule to deal within their rosters.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: