Blue Bombers Forum
December 09, 2019, 05:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else worried about a strike?  (Read 2040 times)
bombergal

« on: May 10, 2019, 11:50:22 PM »

I hate to be a negative Nancy here but it?s a strong possibility that there will be a CFL strike next weekend on the eve of training camp. While getting Matthews signed  to a 3 year contract is awesome,  I will be happier when I know the CFL season is a go this year. Anyone else feel the same way?
Fire101
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:49:07 AM »

TSN's television contract reportedly pays $40 million annually to the CFL, and they own the Toronto Argonauts (Parent company Bell Media). I'm thinking the CFL and CFLPA will get a deal done at the 11th hour.
bunker

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:34:06 AM »

TSN's television contract reportedly pays $40 million annually to the CFL, and they own the Toronto Argonauts (Parent company Bell Media). I'm thinking the CFL and CFLPA will get a deal done at the 11th hour.

Agree. I'll be very surprised if a deal does not get done at the last minute.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:48:57 AM »

Yup, this is the CFL.  Everyone here is reasonable and level-headed.  They will get it done.

If they don't, I'll be disappointed at both sides.  CFL doesn't need (nor can afford) any downtime.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »

Yup, this is the CFL.  Everyone here is reasonable and level-headed.  They will get it done.

If they don't, I'll be disappointed at both sides.  CFL doesn't need (nor can afford) any downtime.

X2

No more excuses.
Nic16

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »

This x 100.

Summers are short, and the CFL can?t afford to allow the cottage folk & summer outdoor adventurists to get comfortable heading out to the lake or parks every weekend without even a thought of missing a football game. A season could go up in smoke very quickly! It?s not like the NHL (or NFL) where we will sit anxiously waiting for our annual winter time killer.
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 05:27:22 PM »

Kinda worried about the "outside help" the CFLPA has enlisted...  not sure how much of the executove thinks like Carter and the "slave rebellion" mentality, or  if they are still feeling "disrespected". 

I get that they are looking at the NFL and seeing players getting contracts worth a team's SMS hit here, and more, and wondering why. 

A more appropriate comparison is the other "not the NFL" options.  Those are the comparables.  And the CFL is way better, both from pay and respect, than the Arena league, semi-pro leagues, or any other current non-NFL football out there.   XFL2?  Well, after the AAF and XFL 1.0, if you get money up front, I guess its OK...  but right now, the CFL is a pretty swell option for players that have exhausted NFL options and want to play, or players that want a chance to win an NFL job and get paid decently to do it.

I hope they make the logical choice, and don't try to negotiate a deal that will kill the league, or hold out and hurt the league...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 01:13:05 AM »

I also agree. They should just lock these guys in a room and not let them out until an agreement is reached.  Cheesy
Ducky

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 02:26:45 AM »

Worried?  No.  It is just a game that I enjoy watching.  Easily replaceable with other entertainment / life happenings if they are dumb enough to postpone / cancel the season.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »

Worried?  No.  It is just a game that I enjoy watching.  Easily replaceable with other entertainment / life happenings if they are dumb enough to postpone / cancel the season.

Boy, that's not how I feel about the CFL.  I'd be in a major funk if I had to survive a summer without CFL; without any IGF excursions.  I'd be doubly miffed because WPG has such a strong team again, finally, and these are our prime chances to win the GC.
Ducky

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 05:15:12 AM »

Oh I would be mad at the league...and of course I would miss watching games (especially the Bombers) but it doesn't worry me.  More than enough things to worry about that are far more important.
24blue

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 01:46:25 PM »

I don`t think the cfl wants to rock the boat with tsn. Not to mention no team wants to lose any game revenue. There`s a whole lot of behind the scenes stuff that I`m thinking of and a job position i would not want. Ordering food in/the beer. Staff are going to leave because hey bills gotta be paid. Flight schedules......
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 06:14:41 PM »

not worried

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
3rdand1.5

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »

CFLPA can play hardball, but IMO they don't really have any teeth, they don't show-up the league probably can not survive even a short strike...so the players strike and don't show-up and the league potentially folds, the only viable football option outside the NFL to make a living in folds also leaving the players out of work, going back to non-football careers or playing Arena ball for what 1/10th of the wage. Sure guys like Reilly, BLM, AH, Solly who have been around made some good coin could move on, but many of the guys are fighting to try and make a living and put food on the table they can't miss the income.

It's not like the CFL is making profits and not sharing, half the teams lost money last year.

Maybe something other than money is the issue (increasing heath care etc. is money based)?
TBURGESS

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »

I'm worried until they sign.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: