Blue Bombers Forum
August 25, 2019, 01:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 5410 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2019, 03:28:17 AM »

Hey, does anyone know what Matthews injury history is?  What did he sit out 2016 with?  Is he likely to stay healthy or is he going to be a Nick Moore?
Pigskin

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2019, 04:54:15 AM »

So on average we should expect one more deep ball per game? I would like to see us throw the deep ball a little more often then that, but it would depend on Matt, and how much protection our OL gives him.
Blue In BC

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »

So on average we should expect one more deep ball per game? I would like to see us throw the deep ball a little more often then that, but it would depend on Matt, and how much protection our OL gives him.

Not exactly. Defenses will know we're capable of more than 1 receiver going deep. It may force them further off the LOS and may create choices on which and when to double cover. That may change what might have been 3 - 5 yard routes into 6 - 8 yard routes. If they defenses aren't crowding the LOS it should take the pressure off the RB's getting hit in the back field whether on run or swing passes. All that means more YAC and possibly shorter 2nd down plays needed to secure a 1st down.

We'll see how things are adapted after a few weeks.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:53 AM »

Not exactly. Defenses will know we're capable of more than 1 receiver going deep. It may force them further off the LOS and may create choices on which and when to double cover. That may change what might have been 3 - 5 yard routes into 6 - 8 yard routes.

Exactly!  This could actually really help Adams' and Matthews' short pass game.  If DBs have to prepare for them going deep, and they run deep regularly, then that should open up room for our receivers to break off and curl back.

Add those two beasts to our superb assortment of NAT talent, and you have some great options on tendency-breaker fake-outs.  I think this would also help Woli's deep game too, as he'll be the last one they are expecting deep.
Tiger

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2019, 04:37:42 AM »

Matthews is a great signing. 

No excuses now not too spread the Defense and throw deep balls. 

There are only so many my players a D can double cover.

We will see what Lapp and Nichols can do.  Spreading the D will also help our Canadian receivers and running game.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GCn18

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »

The biggest benefit of Matthews is that he will consistently make the safety play deeper in the secondary. Every team has one stud corner for man coverage deep, but very few have two, therefore the safety will need to play away from scrimmage. This will open up the middle for Woli and whoever else is inside or will pull Lbers away from the flats where Harris roams. It makes our offence very hard to defend.

This is what Bowman was supposed to do last year, but he just couldn't get downfield fast enough.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn18

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »

Matthews is a great signing. 

No excuses now not too spread the Defense and throw deep balls. 

There are only so many my players a D can double cover.

We will see what Lapp and Nichols can do.  Spreading the D will also help our Canadian receivers and running game.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I don't think we will see a huge influx of deeper balls, but we will really see a huge uptick in the medium routes.

GCn18

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »

Hey, does anyone know what Matthews injury history is?  What did he sit out 2016 with?  Is he likely to stay healthy or is he going to be a Nick Moore?

He had a thigh injury that took some time but is not career threatening. He is as likely to stay healthy as any other player.

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »

This is a huge signing. He's the kind of receiver that was missing from this offense, IMO.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »

good signing... it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially early on...  based on the small sample from last year, it seems like Matthew likes to play in that mid/deep route tree, 15 to 20+ yard type of routes... also, he was getting almost 5 targets per game... it's going to be interesting to see if those extra targets come from existing targets or if the Bombers will scale back the run a little...

I know that most probably won't agree, but, I think that if we could sign Dressler for the right money he could help blow this thing up... 1) he's a good route runner and hustles, 2) defenders would have to respect him, if nothing else on what he's been able to do in the past, and 3) he's a known favored target of Nichols, which once again will make the defense have to cover him... Dressler could be good at creating extra space for Adams and Matthews and if they don't cover him he'll burn them...

you get Adams, Dressler, and Matthews running the mid/deep route tree, have Demski, Woli, and Harris running the short, intermediate stuff, create a lot of space and lanes... could be just what Nichols needs to make a comeback and cause fits for defenses...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »

good signing... it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially early on...  based on the small sample from last year, it seems like Matthew likes to play in that mid/deep route tree, 15 to 20+ yard type of routes... also, he was getting almost 5 targets per game... it's going to be interesting to see if those extra targets come from existing targets or if the Bombers will scale back the run a little...

I know that most probably won't agree, but, I think that if we could sign Dressler for the right money he could help blow this thing up... 1) he's a good route runner and hustles, 2) defenders would have to respect him, if nothing else on what he's been able to do in the past, and 3) he's a known favored target of Nichols, which once again will make the defense have to cover him... Dressler could be good at creating extra space for Adams and Matthews and if they don't cover him he'll burn them...

you get Adams, Dressler, and Matthews running the mid/deep route tree, have Demski, Woli, and Harris running the short, intermediate stuff, create a lot of space and lanes... could be just what Nichols needs to make a comeback and cause fits for defenses...

You're right. I think most will disagree about the Dressler idea. Time to move on and find the next Dressler in TC.

As much as we're thrilled about signing Matthews, at some point we have to stop signing a Bowman or Matthews each TC for big SMS. We need to start finding rookies that stick beyond 1 season and become the next Dressler or Walker etc etc. Sounds like we have some interesting rookies this TC.

I want to see whether someone new rises to the top or we run with the 2018 PR players.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:44:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 02:46:10 AM »

Some great news for the Bombers since signing Biggie...now our offence has someone who can go and get those jump balls....that is if given the opportunity.   Opens up the middle somewhat as they have to respect Adams speed and Matthews speed and jump ball capability.   

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
the.inkster

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »

My memory's a little fuzzy on this right now, but I seem to remember Lapo's scheme being mostly shorter passes during the 2017 season. I feel like 2018 saw more deep balls, with the vast majority of those going to Adams. I'm thinking with Matthews on board we'll see the trend continue this season, and WE'LL be the ones making those "explosion plays" that we've fallen victim to so many times the past few years!
GCn18

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »

I would rather have more first downs, own the TOP, and consistently drive for points than to take more deep shots. Everyone criticizes our lack of deep balls and I'm not sure why? There is a reason we don't go deep that often. I will list the reasons why it APPEARS we throw less deep shots than other teams, and the stats don't actually back that up btw. But for the sake of argument lets pretend we take less deep shots than other teams, I will list the reasons why:

1. Our offence is able to move the chains consistently eliminating the need for ripping off big chunks of real estate.
2. We have an excellent running game that we use to great effect
3. We are a winning club over the past 2 years that doesn't play from behind a lot. That is when most teams start throwing the deep balls with more regularity.

the.inkster

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »

I would rather have more first downs, own the TOP, and consistently drive for points than to take more deep shots. Everyone criticizes our lack of deep balls and I'm not sure why? There is a reason we don't go deep that often. I will list the reasons why it APPEARS we throw less deep shots than other teams, and the stats don't actually back that up btw. But for the sake of argument lets pretend we take less deep shots than other teams, I will list the reasons why:

1. Our offence is able to move the chains consistently eliminating the need for ripping off big chunks of real estate.
2. We have an excellent running game that we use to great effect
3. We are a winning club over the past 2 years that doesn't play from behind a lot. That is when most teams start throwing the deep balls with more regularity.

For me, in really simple terms it comes down to two things: 1) Risk management and 2) Adjusting play-style to match the time of the season.

1) I'd really like to see Lapo call the deep ball early on in games so we can: put together an early lead (if they're successful) / open up things for the running game / still have time to make adjustments and make up ground (if they aren't successful)
2) We all know a strong ground game is the key to a deep playoff run. What better way to keep your RBs fresh than to have some of that workload taken off of him by sending your receivers deep and keep the defences honest?

Ultimately, I think Matthews provides the threat for more deep balls to be thrown (and successfully caught) which in itself helps the rest of the offence. Everybody knows that the Bombers employ a strong possession-style offence that relies heavily on the run game. Having two receivers (arguably three, with Woli) who are legitimate threats for the deep ball adds another dimension to our game. Can't wait to see what Lapo the mad scientist comes up with this year!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: