Blue Bombers Forum
August 25, 2019, 01:33:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 5406 times)
fuzzy

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »

This guy could be a key factor if Blue snag a Grey Cup in the next 3 years. On the other hand, it was a short time ago that Adarius Bowman was ushered in under great fanfare and was gone within a few weeks of the start of the season.  The good part of this signing is that Matthews looks like he wants to find a home and if he hangs on for 3 years, brings a Cup to town, he could join the community and make Wpg home. Its a win win win for Blue and most likely will turn out better than the Bowman Experiment.

Please ignore all notices until further notice.
PurpleReign

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2019, 12:50:11 AM »

This time I will remain level headed because I learnt from the Adarius Bowmen signing.  That didn?t turn out very well. Hope this deal doesn?t go bad for us.
blue girl

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2019, 01:05:53 AM »

The difference between Bowman and Matthews is that Bowman was on the decline when they signed him. Matthews was still playing well last year.
SSC

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »

Kyle Walters hits a walk off home run.

Bryant Mitchell next? Huh? Huh? Wadda say? Grand Slam?
Horseman

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2019, 02:21:55 AM »

Mitchell probably goes back to Edm.
bunker

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2019, 02:31:43 AM »

Very happy with this signing. Upgrades the receiver core big time. This is something we really needed to do to strengthen our offense, because there's a good chance the O-line will take a half step back this year, and Andrew Harris is another year older.
kkc60

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2019, 03:56:21 AM »

Kyle Walters hits a walk off home run.

Bryant Mitchell next? Huh? Huh? Wadda say? Grand Slam?
I say no because so far Nichols has not shown the ability to spread the ball enough to justify 4 high(ish) paid receivers
TecnoGenius

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2019, 05:22:18 AM »

Knew it knew it knew it.  I knew KW wasn't leaving the last piece of the puzzle to chance.  I knew he'd bring in a big name NFL or CFL guy (or in this case, both).

This is KW's MO: get these big name guys out of the blue and make it look like serendipity.  It's not.  KW's a genius and he's in talks with these guys loooong before we hear the news (like months).  First Bighill, now Matthews.  That's why KW wasn't too worked up in the pressers regarding lack of WR signing.  Ya, right, like he's leaving our dire '19 GC need up to the existing roster...

Personally, I was hoping it was Zylstra.  But I will gladly take Matthews.  He's not Zylstra, not by a long shot, but he's a big-bodied playmaker with great hands.  If his heart is into it, he can be great here in '19.

I know someone who's going to eat fat serving of crows...  Grin Grin Grin

DM83 (and me), if you go back and check over the last 2 months, were saying WPG needed a big name receiver.  We were miffed that it was starting to appear that KW had blown it big time.  That's why we were saying we might have to re-sign Dressler.  The people who should eat crow are the ones who said our WR roster was good enough, or let's see what we have.  It's clear now KW and DM83 (and me, and maybe booch and TB) were all on the same page.  We knew we must have a big name receiver for '19.

Interesting that he left BLM to come play with Nichols.  I think Lapo might have been a big selling point.

Or maybe it was just cash

CGY doesn't pay the huge bucks for more than 1 (or maybe 0) receivers.  CGY finds them and uses them cheap for a few years until other teams offer to overpay them.  Then they find the next Rogers.  Matthews was only ever a mercenary insurance policy to them.

Does the Matthews signing signal the official end to Dressler in blue and gold?  Me thinks so.

Yup, my first thought.  Final nail in Dressler's coffin (barring mid-season injury).  I sure hope Dress stays around in some role.  Or, goes back to SSK to do it there.  I just can't really see the CFL Dress-free.

My final thoughts: Matthews isn't the best, and he's sort of in the peak or falling-side of his career, but he has the potential to be the SB that we desperately need that can make those hard plays that CGY always does to get those 1st downs.  Even better, he's not just a post-running speedster, he's a great tough possession guy that can fight in those short crossers and slants.  He really fits in well with Lapo's philosophy, and Nichols' bread and butter.  So 66 should be happy because this guy won't require a playbook rewrite or change in Nichols' style.

My only concern is his attitude and where his heart is.  I don't have much to go on, but he seems to be a bit of a me-me receiver.  Not to any extreme, but possibly more than usually works well in the MOS locker room.  He also has a bit of a mercenary streak, which isn't the end of the world for a guy used to NFL money.  I just get the impression that his heart isn't always in it and he's like "show me why I should try for you".  I got that impression when he was here before, when he was with the Seahawks, and when he was in CGY.  I'd be delighted to be wrong, or to be shown that in the end it won't matter.  In any case, I don't think he'll blow up the locker room, and this signing only makes us stronger.

This is NOT Bowman redux.  This is the final piece in the puzzle, and our best shot in 15 years at a GC.
Blue72

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »

Now does LaPolice change the play book and start moving the ball more than 5 yards and does Nichols start using his big boys properly. This year we should have good size receivers with speed so we should be able to take some pressure off Harris
Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

Now does LaPolice change the play book and start moving the ball more than 5 yards and does Nichols start using his big boys properly. This year we should have good size receivers with speed so we should be able to take some pressure off Harris

Yes. We didn't sign a top receiver for a significant amount of money to just throw him 5 yard passes. It's going to create more issues for defenses on deciding who and when to double team either Adams or Matthews.

It's going to clear more space for the receivers so they don't have to find a space to " sit " on as many routes. Even on short routes we should see more receptions caught in full stride and our YAC should go up across the spectrum.

Changes will be subtle but productive IMO.

No more excuses.
Nic16

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »

A much needed signing as most avid BB fans (and CFL media) would attest too. LaPo finally has the big target he has always wanted...since well...the first time he had Matthews.

My hope now is Corey Washington is ready to grab that 3rd INT receiver spot. He?d provide another big target that has shown a brief glimpse of downfield big play ability.

Matthews & Adams could be interchangeable at boundary side WR/SB.

Demski & Woli at field slot (backed up by Whitehead & Peterman)

Washington at field WR (splitting 50/50 with Simonise)

PR - A versatile receiver with size and that can play inside & outside, and one of the returner/receiver types.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »

"Coming back to Winnipeg was a no brainer for me." | Matthews coming home- Ed Tait

Chris Matthews was just a wide-eyed kid back then, a 22-year-old with obvious physical gifts, but with just one NFL camp invitation and a stint with the Iowa Barnstormers on his professional football resume.

It was 2012 and Matthews - a fresh-faced rookie from California and via the University of Kentucky, Cleveland Browns and the Barnstormers - arrived in Winnipeg simply hoping to find a football home.

He did that and then some almost instantly, earning a starting gig as a rookie, catching a TD in his first game in B.C. and then scoring the first TD in the history of IG Field in 2013.

And by season's end, he was not just a household name in Winnipeg - becoming the first rookie in club history to lead the team in receiving with 1,192 yards on 81 catches - but was also named the Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Rookie.

Fast forward just over seven years and the Matthews that returns to the Bombers is now a polished 29-year-old receiver who starred in a Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks and returned to the CFL last fall to help the Calgary Stampeders win a Grey Cup.

So, for the Bombers - who spent the winter looking for another big-play receiver to add to their offence - Matthews is like manna from heaven. He's a massive target at 6-5, 230 and there aren't a lot of miles on his tread. Consider that injuries and the fight for playing time limited him to 22 games over four years in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens, and his stint with the Stamps included just four regular season and two playoff contests.

"I'm still young," said Matthews during a media conference call Friday from Los Angeles. "I know that probably in football eyes I'm old as dirt, but in regular life I'm still a young man.

"Me being in the NFL, I got to play and contribute to teams... unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay healthy at times. I think even though that's seen as a fault, I think it's a plus coming back to the CFL because I'm a lot fresher than a lot of other guys would be going into the CFL or being in the CFL a long time and trying to figure out if they could play any longer.

"I'm a fresh body and I feel like I have years to come and hopefully I can stick it out with Winnipeg until I retire. That's my ultimate goal: to retire as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber. I want my name to be up there with Milt Stegall and Terrence Edwards and along with the other greats."

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Buck

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »

This is a massive signing.  The guy is clutch and will fight to make catches.  Our offence looks a whole lot better today..
Fire101
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »

Now does LaPolice change the play book and start moving the ball more than 5 yards and does Nichols start using his big boys properly.

He better change the playbook, otherwise show him the door.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2019, 01:20:02 AM »

He better change the playbook, otherwise show him the door.

I really don't think Lapo will make huge changes.  At least not right out of the gate.  The beauty of Matthews is that his size makes him perfect for Lapo's current book.  And his speed/height will make him perfect for the deep ball when we want to take the shot.

I think Lapo will continue like last year, where it was clear from week 1 that he was trying to integrate the deep ball more frequently.  Every game last year Lapo would take 2-3 really deep shots to Adams or whoever.  Most of them didn't connect.  But it was clear Lapo/Nichols were working on the deep ball and trying to open it up.

So I see them doing much the same but taking 3-4 deep shots a game.  I think Matthews might connect on more because he can better adjust to the ball and fight off smaller pesky DBs.

What I don't see is Lapo suddenly sending Adams go to the post and Matthews go down the boundary rail every 3rd play.  Our QB isn't Reilly, and our coach isn't Maas, after all.

So expect some more aggressive plays, and hopefully some more layered mid routes and clearing patterns.  And hopefully 1-2 shots a game where both Adams/Matthews tear down go routes.  But no morphing into '17 EDM.  I'd be happy if we looked a lot more like '17-'18 CGY in playcalling.

"I'm a fresh body and I feel like I have years to come and hopefully I can stick it out with Winnipeg until I retire. That's my ultimate goal: to retire as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber. I want my name to be up there with Milt Stegall and Terrence Edwards and along with the other greats."

Now that's a good attitude.  If he is sincere and keeps to that mindset, he'll do very well in WPG, and I'll be one happy fan indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: