Blue Bombers Forum
December 12, 2019, 05:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 7090 times)
booch

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »

he wanted to be here all along....last year was just not financially practical at that time..as soon as he signed just the one yr deal last year, and gave one last NFL kick this off-season..I knew it was a certainty he'd be here this year..
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »

200k is now the low end for elite receivers. IF we paid him that amount, and I hope we didn't, it's fair market value these days. Cripes Walker took down almost 300k per and Ellingson (a low end elite receiver) was around 275k per. Unfortunately, once a couple GMs overpay at a position the rest of the league is somewhat screwed.

How much other idiot GM's are willing to pay one receiver shouldn't necessarily set the benchmark, I'd rather Walters follows Hufnagel's lead and resist the urge to overspend as much as possible. Derel Walker may have signed with the Argos for $275,000/yr. but no matter how good he actually is, he probably will not make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for his premium price.  The Argos will still be a mediocre team and fans will continue not to flock to BMO to watch the Argos play.

If it comes out Matthews is being paid in the elite range, puts up middling stats. and does not make a huge impact on the field, it's gong to be the Nick Moore show all over again. 50/50 proposition.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:49:08 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »

#IMWT
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

#IMWT

Oh Yeah

#ThanksJoeMack  Grin Grin Grin
3rdand1.5

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 04:14:29 PM »

Well this worked out well for the Bombers. As previously mentioned we certainly have some size in our receiving core.

My prediction for game 1;
Adams, Mathews, Woli, Thompkins, Demski with Simonise backing-up

Pigskin

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »

And that's why we didn't go after Solly. Walters need the money for Matthews.
GCn19

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »

How much other idiot GM's are willing to pay one receiver shouldn't necessarily set the benchmark, I'd rather Walters follows Hufnagel's lead and resist the urge to overspend as much as possible. Derel Walker may have signed with the Argos for $275,000/yr. but no matter how good he actually is, he probably will not make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for his premium price.  The Argos will still be a mediocre team and fans will continue not to flock to BMO to watch the Argos play.

If it comes out Matthews is being paid in the elite range, puts up middling stats. and does not make a huge impact on the field, it's gong to be the Nick Moore show all over again. 50/50 proposition.

That's one way to look at it, another way to look at it is that maybe he provides us with the missing link to our offence, puts up big numbers, and is the difference in the playoffs the way he was for Calgary last year.  He certainly has the capability to be an X factor for our offence and that's worth something if it pans out. If it doesn't, it's simply a swing and a miss but a worthwhile try.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »

And that's why we didn't go after Solly. Walters need the money for Matthews.

Maybe. If Solly got $160K that would have been too much to fit him in at WIL. So decision 1 doesn't directly leave to decision 2.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »

I went from feeling super meh about our receivers to now being jacked about them!!

Ditto!!
GCn19

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »

We didn't go after Solly because signing him would have made no sense. We already have the league's best MLB.

Donny C

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 04:23:35 PM »

GREAT SINGING!!
(Let's see who corrects my spelling)
GCn19

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »

GREAT SINGING!!
(Let's see who corrects my spelling)

We all feel like singing too, no correction necessary.

the paw

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »

200k is now the low end for elite receivers. IF we paid him that amount, and I hope we didn't, it's fair market value these days. Cripes Walker took down almost 300k per and Ellingson (a low end elite receiver) was around 275k per. Unfortunately, once a couple GMs overpay at a position the rest of the league is somewhat screwed.

Walker got $275k, but has averaged 1500 yds per season (projecting full seasons).  So that's the top end.

Ellingson got $250k, and has 4 consecutive seasons over 1000 yds, averaging 1200 yds/season.  

SJ Green is on the second year of a two year extension where he will get $210k. Green is older, but is still a 1000 yd man.

Now, Chris Matthews has not demonstrated comparable production to any of these 3, with a single season of 1000 yds.  And, he is also coming in late, after the peak of free agency, which likely affects the value a little.  Probably worth taking a little hit, just to exhaust the NFL possibilities.  

But based on all that, I think you have to figure he is at the $200k mark, and that it is fair value.  Its possible he may have backended it a little to help the team with the cap this year, in exchange for a 3 year term.  This might be his last deal, so maybe he wants to settle in somewhere.

grab grass 'n growl
Leroy

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Ellingson won't be on Edmonton next year.

Horrible signing.
GCn19

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »

Walker got $275k, but has averaged 1500 yds per season (projecting full seasons).  So that's the top end.

Ellingson got $250k, and has 4 consecutive seasons over 1000 yds, averaging 1200 yds/season.  

SJ Green is on the second year of a two year extension where he will get $210k. Green is older, but is still a 1000 yd man.

Now, Chris Matthews has not demonstrated comparable production to any of these 3, with a single season of 1000 yds.  And, he is also coming in late, after the peak of free agency, which likely affects the value a little.  Probably worth taking a little hit, just to exhaust the NFL possibilities.  

But based on all that, I think you have to figure he is at the $200k mark, and that it is fair value.  Its possible he may have backended it a little to help the team with the cap this year, in exchange for a 3 year term.  This might be his last deal, so maybe he wants to settle in somewhere.

Totally agree with you on all points.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: