Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2019, 12:07:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 7072 times)
GCn19

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »

Ellingson won't be on Edmonton next year.

Horrible signing.

I have always felt that Ellingson and Tasker are the most overrated receivers in the league.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

I have always felt that Ellingson and Tasker are the most overrated receivers in the league.

I will agree on Ellingson, but Tasker is a guy I'd have on my team any day.  I don't think there is a way you can overrate him.  His dad was a favourite of mine growing up, you could see the passion in his play, and the apple didn't fall far from that tree.  Tasker just makes things happen. At least it seems that way to me, maybe I'm biased by the name... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »

Walker got $275k, but has averaged 1500 yds per season (projecting full seasons).  So that's the top end.

Ellingson got $250k, and has 4 consecutive seasons over 1000 yds, averaging 1200 yds/season.  

SJ Green is on the second year of a two year extension where he will get $210k. Green is older, but is still a 1000 yd man.

Now, Chris Matthews has not demonstrated comparable production to any of these 3, with a single season of 1000 yds.  And, he is also coming in late, after the peak of free agency, which likely affects the value a little.  Probably worth taking a little hit, just to exhaust the NFL possibilities.  

But based on all that, I think you have to figure he is at the $200k mark, and that it is fair value.  Its possible he may have backended it a little to help the team with the cap this year, in exchange for a 3 year term.  This might be his last deal, so maybe he wants to settle in somewhere.

Is there any evidence Matthews had interest from the NFL this past off-season or participated in any camps?  I thought it had been established earlier that he had exhausted his NFL opportunities by using all his P.R. eligibility up.
rubanski

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »

And that's why we didn't go after Solly. Walters need the money for Matthews.

Or b/c we picked up Jefferson as game breaker on D.

Really excited about this. We had a fantastic offence last year, and real big, deep threat like him is one of few things that was missing from it.

Bombers9256

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »

HOLY CHRISTMAS!!!! This just made my day.

#fortheW
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 05:08:39 PM »

a Rashad Bailey or Lucky Whitehead is not a bad #5 receiver.
Whitehead will probably be a guy penciled in as a DI for the returner spot. This Bailey Guy has huge potential but dont forget we have Kenbrell Thompkins who might have had the best hands on the team last year for WR's that had over 25 catches. Thompkins has the most NFL experience on our roster and I truly believe the only reason he didnt play all 18 games last year was due to the clubs blind loyalty to veteran WR's that get the job done when healthy ( cough, Dressler, cough).
 Lets also not forget about 6'4 Corey Washington who had  6 catches for 165 yards including an 80 yard TD in mop up duty last year.
Theres also Canadians Demski and Wolitarsky with huge potential and Simonise had a taste of the NFL as a 21 year old undrafted rookie. Simonise wants to prove himself, I believe has that NFL vision still

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
rubanski

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »

Oh man, I really disagree. Ellingson is a fantastic player. Does everything really well, just doesn't blow you away with any particular skill he has. The Daniel Alfredson of the CFL.

How do you explain the ridiculous # of catches and yards over the last four years if he's not that good?

sting

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »

If this late offseason signing works out as well as the one in 2018, I think that it will serve the Bombers very well!

Safe to say, it's time. The defense is shored up. The offence has all the tools. No more excuses. Time for a championship season in Winnipeg.
I would say the o-line is a area that has promise but until games are played it is still promise. Still cautious here for me but hope is there.
GCn19

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »

I will agree on Ellingson, but Tasker is a guy I'd have on my team any day.  I don't think there is a way you can overrate him.  His dad was a favourite of mine growing up, you could see the passion in his play, and the apple didn't fall far from that tree.  Tasker just makes things happen. At least it seems that way to me, maybe I'm biased by the name... 

I'd take Tasker too. I just don't believe he is an elite receiver.

GCn19

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »

Oh man, I really disagree. Ellingson is a fantastic player. Does everything really well, just doesn't blow you away with any particular skill he has. The Daniel Alfredson of the CFL.

How do you explain the ridiculous # of catches and yards over the last four years if he's not that good?

He played in a great offensive system with great QBs throwing him the ball.

In Motion

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »

Very excited to hear this signing!  I might actually go watch a couple
of games this season.
Colton

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »

I'm with you, Ellingson has always seemed like an absolutely clutch receiver on top of being consistently productive.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »

I would like to remind those that panicked early on when we didn't over pay at FA for a receiver that good things come to those that wait.

Looking like a great Bomber club as long as the OL sorts itself out.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »

Totally agree with you on all points.

I agree as well.  200k is about right.  3 year deal so we likely got a good deal.  I hope at least.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 07:23:37 PM »

I would like to remind those that panicked early on when we didn't over pay at FA for a receiver that good things come to those that wait.

Looking like a great Bomber club as long as the OL sorts itself out.

I know it's your MO, but man, you've really got to stop with the "see I'm right and everyone else was wrong" and calling it "panicking" when people address concerns.

It's not reasonable to expect blind faith
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: