Blue Bombers Forum
November 21, 2019, 10:30:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 6755 times)
GCn19

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »

This is a massive signing. Last year he came in halfway through the season, played with an extremely limited play package, and was easily Calgary's best receiver over the back half of the season. With a full camp under his belt to get the full playbook and game conditioning he is going to once again be a dominant receiver in the CFL. The guy is a beast.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »

a Rashad Bailey or Lucky Whitehead is not a bad #5 receiver.
the.inkster

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »

Great!!!   Finally addressing the lack of size on our receivers!!!

Darvin Adams - 6'2"
Drew Wolitarsky - 6'2"
Chris Matthews - 6'5"

Finally someone to (hopefully) take some of the load off Darvin Adams!
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »

Have to think the Bombers were in discussions with him while he looked at NFL options. Nothing would have prevented the team from having a standing offer so to speak.

Of course there was a risk that he'd accept another offer either in the NFL or CFL and we'd have tied up money missing other opportunities.

It paid off. I'm not convinced we could have / should have spent the money elsewhere earlier. There were lots of top free agents signed elsewhere but it could be argued they were over paid and / or choose to move elsewhere for reasons other than just money.

To a certain degree it's a little like being able to sign Bighill just before TC in 2018. Having both the need for a top player and money to spend is not something every team has available to them a week before TC.

No more excuses.
Horseman

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »

This is a huge signing for us and instantly improves our receiving group immensely. Well done!!!
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »

Darvin Adams - 6'2"
Drew Wolitarsky - 6'2"
Chris Matthews - 6'5"

Finally someone to (hopefully) take some of the load off Darvin Adams!

Don't forget about Simonise who oozes potential. He's 6'4
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 02:24:04 PM »

If this late offseason signing works out as well as the one in 2018, I think that it will serve the Bombers very well!

Safe to say, it's time. The defense is shored up. The offence has all the tools. No more excuses. Time for a championship season in Winnipeg.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »

Don't forget about Simonise who oozes potential. He's 6'4

Yep. And Rasheed Bailey is 6'2 with high upside. Kenbrell Thompkins is 6'1 and Corey Washington is 6'4. Plus, we got rid of Dressler who was 3'6. Our receiving core will not be small. 
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

Have to think the Bombers were in discussions with him while he looked at NFL options. Nothing would have prevented the team from having a standing offer so to speak.

Of course there was a risk that he'd accept another offer either in the NFL or CFL and we'd have tied up money missing other opportunities.

It paid off. I'm not convinced we could have / should have spent the money elsewhere earlier. There were lots of top free agents signed elsewhere but it could be argued they were over paid and / or choose to move elsewhere for reasons other than just money.

To a certain degree it's a little like being able to sign Bighill just before TC in 2018. Having both the need for a top player and money to spend is not something every team has available to them a week before TC.

It really depends on how much they pay Matthews, if they agreed to $200,000+ on a 3 year deal I think they got caught up in the overspending frenzy and overpaid, if it's in the $175,000 ballpark, good deal. 
Leroy

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »

Damnnnnnn....huge signing.
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »

It really depends on how much they pay Matthews, if they agreed to $200,000+ on a 3 year deal I think they got caught up in the overspending frenzy and overpaid, if it's in the $175,000 ballpark, good deal. 

200k is now the low end for elite receivers. IF we paid him that amount, and I hope we didn't, it's fair market value these days. Cripes Walker took down almost 300k per and Ellingson (a low end elite receiver) was around 275k per. Unfortunately, once a couple GMs overpay at a position the rest of the league is somewhat screwed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:34:33 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »

It's almost certainly over $200,000. Adarius Bowman was reportedly making $260,000 in 2017 (https://3downnation.com/2017/02/06/adarius-bowmans-new-deal-makes-him-highest-paid-receiver-in-cfl/).

That establishes the top end for international receivers at the time. It's only gone up since. Matthews doesn't have Bowman's CFL resume (nor is he coming off a 1700 yard season like Bowman was, obviously), but he would still command something near top end dollars. I'd put him at $215,000 to $245,000.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »

Like I've said in other posts, it's a complex situation spending SMS across the entire roster and coming to a balance. Timing against availability and willingness.

We may have offered the same money to several players like Durel Walker or Arceneaux and got turned down?  Don't really know.

At this moment in time we may have offered more than other CFL teams so could have over paid in that sense.

He's here and whether he got $200K or $175K is only partially relative. In the grand scheme of things, what would another $25K or even $50K do to help build the roster TODAY?  It's not a meaningless consideration but for what we could do today to improve the team, well done.

If he signed somewhere else in the west division for more we'd have gone ballistic and had to play against him.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 02:42:51 PM »

It was an area of weakness that we addressed within our SMS, I assume.

theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »

Great signing, interesting to see if it was front loaded for extra value, or balanced with incentives.  Full faith in Walters not making a big investment without making sure its the best value for the team.

3 years means nothing from a security standpoint of the player, especially with an uncertain CBA, but it does lock up cost certainty for the team if he exceeds expectations.

Interesting that he left BLM to come play with Nichols.  I think Lapo might have been a big selling point.

Or maybe it was just cash.  

Hopefully he performs better than Bowman...  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: