Blue Bombers Forum
September 16, 2019, 10:16:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 5738 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »

For me, in really simple terms it comes down to two things: 1) Risk management and 2) Adjusting play-style to match the time of the season.

1) I'd really like to see Lapo call the deep ball early on in games so we can: put together an early lead (if they're successful) / open up things for the running game / still have time to make adjustments and make up ground (if they aren't successful)
2) We all know a strong ground game is the key to a deep playoff run. What better way to keep your RBs fresh than to have some of that workload taken off of him by sending your receivers deep and keep the defences honest?

Ultimately, I think Matthews provides the threat for more deep balls to be thrown (and successfully caught) which in itself helps the rest of the offence. Everybody knows that the Bombers employ a strong possession-style offence that relies heavily on the run game. Having two receivers (arguably three, with Woli) who are legitimate threats for the deep ball adds another dimension to our game. Can't wait to see what Lapo the mad scientist comes up with this year!

We may not throw a large number more of deep passes.  It might only be a couple and layered at depths.. We may complete more than in the past. 

Matthews will influence the defenses which is the real point of how it will impact our offense.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »

I would rather have more first downs, own the TOP, and consistently drive for points than to take more deep shots. Everyone criticizes our lack of deep balls and I'm not sure why? There is a reason we don't go deep that often. I will list the reasons why it APPEARS we throw less deep shots than other teams, and the stats don't actually back that up btw. But for the sake of argument lets pretend we take less deep shots than other teams, I will list the reasons why:

1. Our offence is able to move the chains consistently eliminating the need for ripping off big chunks of real estate.
2. We have an excellent running game that we use to great effect
3. We are a winning club over the past 2 years that doesn't play from behind a lot. That is when most teams start throwing the deep balls with more regularity.

Agreed, as far as strategy goes I'm putting money on the time consuming drives that chew up the clock over the quick but riskier home-run shots every time.  Grinding the ball up the field cuts down on the quick two and outs and also effectively tires the opposing D out and keeps their O from finding rhythm or gaining momentum. 

I certainly would welcome more 15-20 yard passing plays to expand the O and I think this is where Matthews is going to help out the most.
Blue In BC

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »

Agreed, as far as strategy goes I'm putting money on the time consuming drives that chew up the clock over the quick but riskier home-run shots every time.  Grinding the ball up the field cuts down on the quick two and outs and also effectively tires the opposing D out and keeps their O from finding rhythm or gaining momentum. 

I certainly would welcome more 15-20 yard passing plays to expand the O and I think this is where Matthews is going to help out the most.

You need to be able to make the big play when coming from behind. A time consuming drive works if you have time but when you don't, then you need a deep shot capability.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »

You need to be able to make the big play when coming from behind. A time consuming drive works if you have time but when you don't, then you need a deep shot capability.

Very true, good to keep the long-ball in play for when it's really needed.  Certainly don't mind seeing 3 or 4 deep shots attempted every game to keep them well practised, a 50% completion rate on passes over 30 yds. would be a reasonable expectation.
blue_or_die

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2019, 07:34:35 PM »

This is the type of play I would like us to see make our MO this year with our arsenal. It feels good to go from 1st and 10 to 1st and 10 right away, consistently, and be able to march and get points most drives.

I think Matthews throws us over the border of being "dink and dunk", risk averse, time management offense to a threat to score on every drive-type offense, whether that includes more "deep" (~50 yards) balls or not. I could really care less about the super high risk stuff other than, as mentioned, to mark our ability to come from behind when needed, and as a fan who just likes to see super exciting plays.

It's at the point where I don't even care about entertainment, we just need to win a g** d*** championship, lol.
booch

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »

we threw quite a few deeper shots last year, just didn't complete many....but now with Adams doing his thing..Woli more involved inside in a more midrange area and Matthews..I can see(hope) to see more layerd routes and moving out defenders for longer passes, with guys in stride...not static
TecnoGenius

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:05 PM »

It's at the point where I don't even care about entertainment, we just need to win a g** d*** championship, lol.

You and me both.  I watched the '90 GC I PVRd on ESPN Classic again and it was pretty boring, especially if you were not a WPG fan.  It was clearly a blow out by halftime.  I'd be perfectly happy to have that type of season and boring GC win in '19!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: