Blue Bombers Forum
September 16, 2019, 10:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews signed by Bombers  (Read 5741 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: May 10, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »

Lots of tweets and rumors floating around regarding him being signed

https://twitter.com/wpg_bluebombers/status/1126849370106757120?s=21
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:32:44 PM by The Zipp » Logged
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »

Co-worker just showed me a video from the Bombers that indicates "Re-introducing Chris Matthews".
blue_or_die

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »

Yep, already some early discussion in the roster thread.

I am beyond thrilled about this! He comes back to the team that started his career and IIRC is the answer to the historical trivia question of who scored the first Bomber TD @ IGF.
bluengold204

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »

Yep, already some early discussion in the roster thread.

I am beyond thrilled about this! He comes back to the team that started his career and IIRC is the answer to the historical trivia question of who scored the first Bomber TD @ IGF.

If memory serves correctly he did the first leap into the stands as well.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »

WINNIPEG, MB., May 10, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a three-year contract with international wide receiver Chris Matthews. Matthews originally broke into the CFL with Winnipeg in 2012, being named the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie that season.

Matthews (6-5, 230, Kentucky, October 6, 1989 in Long Beach, CA) signed with the Grey Cup winning Calgary Stampeders last October, starting the Stamps' final four regular season games, the Western Final and Grey Cup, and recording 19 receptions for 350 yards and one touchdown. He recorded at least three catches in all but one of his six games with Calgary last season, and his top outing came at Winnipeg when he registered five catches for 113 yards.

"Chris is not only a big-bodied receiver, but has experience in our league and with Coach LaPolice," said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. "He is a very physical receiver, will go up and get the football, and we are very excited to add him to our offence in 2019."

Matthews was the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie in 2012, breaking into the league by recording 81 catches, 1,192 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. After playing four games for Winnipeg during an injury-abbreviated 2013 campaign, Matthews went to the National Football League and played a total of 25 regular-season and playoff games for the Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens from 2014 to 2017.

Matthews played a key role for the Seahawks in the NFL playoffs following the 2014 season as his onside kick recovery allowed Seattle to complete a comeback victory over the Green Bay Packers in the NFC championship game and he had four catches for 109 yards and a touchdown in Super Bowl XLIX.

Matthews scored the first ever Bomber touchdown at Investors Group Field on a touchdown pass by now Bombers quarterbacks coach Buck Pierce.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:52:40 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
gobombersgo

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 01:32:18 PM »

Darren Cameron announced its a 3 year deal.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »

3-year deal! Crazy! I knew we had money.
TBURGESS

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »

Excellent signing!

Being right never gets old.
bigbuff33

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »

Great!!!   Finally addressing the lack of size on our receivers!!!
GCn19

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 01:47:45 PM »

Boom goes the dynamite!!!

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
1chad

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

Fantastic signing!  Fills a gaping hole in the WR dept.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »

I know someone who's going to eat fat serving of crows...  Grin Grin Grin

God you guys are depressing.
This receiving core is a joke.  Zero to get better.
Geez at this point signing Dressler would be the second biggest signing of the year.  How pathetic is Walters!?

Still not enough.  But when Adams. Goes down by the fifth game  ...time to bring back Hoss humard and suit. Wade up.  There will be zero people to throw to.

Seriously, this won't even be pro football.  This is bad.

I agree Bombers need a receiver as a priority.
But I have. Given up on the Bombers "plan"

They really don't have one.
Sure drink the cool aide and believe the PR.

But comparing what other teams seem to do, the Bombers can't compete on that field,either.
I don't see much leadership here. Based in the past it looks like the Bombers Will be middle of the pack......again.
Same old, same old. actually it's a very boring team.

After many years as a. Season ticket holder,, I will stay home and watch on TV.

Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »

3 years. That's a solid addition and the time frame means not a short term rental. He's here to stay. Money well spent.

I'm not sure how much he's getting but we made it work.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:56:13 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »

3 years. That's a solid addition and the time frame means not a short term rental. He's here to stay. Money well spent.

I'm not sure how much he's getting but we made it work.

Yep. Top tier import money for sure. Seems like it was a long term play by Walters. We didn't add a lot of pieces in free agency and we cut down (or passed) on a few fairly significant salaries. Sure, some of our own players were due pay bumps but just from the salaries shed we had earmarked money for a signing like this.
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »

I went from feeling super meh about our receivers to now being jacked about them!!
GCn19

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »

This is a massive signing. Last year he came in halfway through the season, played with an extremely limited play package, and was easily Calgary's best receiver over the back half of the season. With a full camp under his belt to get the full playbook and game conditioning he is going to once again be a dominant receiver in the CFL. The guy is a beast.

M.O.A.B.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »

a Rashad Bailey or Lucky Whitehead is not a bad #5 receiver.
the.inkster

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »

Great!!!   Finally addressing the lack of size on our receivers!!!

Darvin Adams - 6'2"
Drew Wolitarsky - 6'2"
Chris Matthews - 6'5"

Finally someone to (hopefully) take some of the load off Darvin Adams!
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »

Have to think the Bombers were in discussions with him while he looked at NFL options. Nothing would have prevented the team from having a standing offer so to speak.

Of course there was a risk that he'd accept another offer either in the NFL or CFL and we'd have tied up money missing other opportunities.

It paid off. I'm not convinced we could have / should have spent the money elsewhere earlier. There were lots of top free agents signed elsewhere but it could be argued they were over paid and / or choose to move elsewhere for reasons other than just money.

To a certain degree it's a little like being able to sign Bighill just before TC in 2018. Having both the need for a top player and money to spend is not something every team has available to them a week before TC.

No more excuses.
Horseman

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »

This is a huge signing for us and instantly improves our receiving group immensely. Well done!!!
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »

Darvin Adams - 6'2"
Drew Wolitarsky - 6'2"
Chris Matthews - 6'5"

Finally someone to (hopefully) take some of the load off Darvin Adams!

Don't forget about Simonise who oozes potential. He's 6'4
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 02:24:04 PM »

If this late offseason signing works out as well as the one in 2018, I think that it will serve the Bombers very well!

Safe to say, it's time. The defense is shored up. The offence has all the tools. No more excuses. Time for a championship season in Winnipeg.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »

Don't forget about Simonise who oozes potential. He's 6'4

Yep. And Rasheed Bailey is 6'2 with high upside. Kenbrell Thompkins is 6'1 and Corey Washington is 6'4. Plus, we got rid of Dressler who was 3'6. Our receiving core will not be small. 
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

Have to think the Bombers were in discussions with him while he looked at NFL options. Nothing would have prevented the team from having a standing offer so to speak.

Of course there was a risk that he'd accept another offer either in the NFL or CFL and we'd have tied up money missing other opportunities.

It paid off. I'm not convinced we could have / should have spent the money elsewhere earlier. There were lots of top free agents signed elsewhere but it could be argued they were over paid and / or choose to move elsewhere for reasons other than just money.

To a certain degree it's a little like being able to sign Bighill just before TC in 2018. Having both the need for a top player and money to spend is not something every team has available to them a week before TC.

It really depends on how much they pay Matthews, if they agreed to $200,000+ on a 3 year deal I think they got caught up in the overspending frenzy and overpaid, if it's in the $175,000 ballpark, good deal. 
Leroy

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »

Damnnnnnn....huge signing.
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »

It really depends on how much they pay Matthews, if they agreed to $200,000+ on a 3 year deal I think they got caught up in the overspending frenzy and overpaid, if it's in the $175,000 ballpark, good deal. 

200k is now the low end for elite receivers. IF we paid him that amount, and I hope we didn't, it's fair market value these days. Cripes Walker took down almost 300k per and Ellingson (a low end elite receiver) was around 275k per. Unfortunately, once a couple GMs overpay at a position the rest of the league is somewhat screwed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:34:33 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »

It's almost certainly over $200,000. Adarius Bowman was reportedly making $260,000 in 2017 (https://3downnation.com/2017/02/06/adarius-bowmans-new-deal-makes-him-highest-paid-receiver-in-cfl/).

That establishes the top end for international receivers at the time. It's only gone up since. Matthews doesn't have Bowman's CFL resume (nor is he coming off a 1700 yard season like Bowman was, obviously), but he would still command something near top end dollars. I'd put him at $215,000 to $245,000.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »

Like I've said in other posts, it's a complex situation spending SMS across the entire roster and coming to a balance. Timing against availability and willingness.

We may have offered the same money to several players like Durel Walker or Arceneaux and got turned down?  Don't really know.

At this moment in time we may have offered more than other CFL teams so could have over paid in that sense.

He's here and whether he got $200K or $175K is only partially relative. In the grand scheme of things, what would another $25K or even $50K do to help build the roster TODAY?  It's not a meaningless consideration but for what we could do today to improve the team, well done.

If he signed somewhere else in the west division for more we'd have gone ballistic and had to play against him.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 02:42:51 PM »

It was an area of weakness that we addressed within our SMS, I assume.

theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »

Great signing, interesting to see if it was front loaded for extra value, or balanced with incentives.  Full faith in Walters not making a big investment without making sure its the best value for the team.

3 years means nothing from a security standpoint of the player, especially with an uncertain CBA, but it does lock up cost certainty for the team if he exceeds expectations.

Interesting that he left BLM to come play with Nichols.  I think Lapo might have been a big selling point.

Or maybe it was just cash.  

Hopefully he performs better than Bowman...  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »

he wanted to be here all along....last year was just not financially practical at that time..as soon as he signed just the one yr deal last year, and gave one last NFL kick this off-season..I knew it was a certainty he'd be here this year..
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »

200k is now the low end for elite receivers. IF we paid him that amount, and I hope we didn't, it's fair market value these days. Cripes Walker took down almost 300k per and Ellingson (a low end elite receiver) was around 275k per. Unfortunately, once a couple GMs overpay at a position the rest of the league is somewhat screwed.

How much other idiot GM's are willing to pay one receiver shouldn't necessarily set the benchmark, I'd rather Walters follows Hufnagel's lead and resist the urge to overspend as much as possible. Derel Walker may have signed with the Argos for $275,000/yr. but no matter how good he actually is, he probably will not make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for his premium price.  The Argos will still be a mediocre team and fans will continue not to flock to BMO to watch the Argos play.

If it comes out Matthews is being paid in the elite range, puts up middling stats. and does not make a huge impact on the field, it's gong to be the Nick Moore show all over again. 50/50 proposition.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:49:08 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »

#IMWT
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

#IMWT

Oh Yeah

#ThanksJoeMack  Grin Grin Grin
3rdand1.5

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 04:14:29 PM »

Well this worked out well for the Bombers. As previously mentioned we certainly have some size in our receiving core.

My prediction for game 1;
Adams, Mathews, Woli, Thompkins, Demski with Simonise backing-up

Pigskin

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »

And that's why we didn't go after Solly. Walters need the money for Matthews.
GCn19

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »

How much other idiot GM's are willing to pay one receiver shouldn't necessarily set the benchmark, I'd rather Walters follows Hufnagel's lead and resist the urge to overspend as much as possible. Derel Walker may have signed with the Argos for $275,000/yr. but no matter how good he actually is, he probably will not make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for his premium price.  The Argos will still be a mediocre team and fans will continue not to flock to BMO to watch the Argos play.

If it comes out Matthews is being paid in the elite range, puts up middling stats. and does not make a huge impact on the field, it's gong to be the Nick Moore show all over again. 50/50 proposition.

That's one way to look at it, another way to look at it is that maybe he provides us with the missing link to our offence, puts up big numbers, and is the difference in the playoffs the way he was for Calgary last year.  He certainly has the capability to be an X factor for our offence and that's worth something if it pans out. If it doesn't, it's simply a swing and a miss but a worthwhile try.

Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »

Maybe. If Solly got $160K that would have been too much to fit him in at WIL. So decision 1 doesn't directly leave to decision 2.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »

I went from feeling super meh about our receivers to now being jacked about them!!

Ditto!!
GCn19

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »

We didn't go after Solly because signing him would have made no sense. We already have the league's best MLB.

Donny C

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 04:23:35 PM »

GREAT SINGING!!
(Let's see who corrects my spelling)
GCn19

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »

GREAT SINGING!!
(Let's see who corrects my spelling)

We all feel like singing too, no correction necessary.

the paw

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »

Walker got $275k, but has averaged 1500 yds per season (projecting full seasons).  So that's the top end.

Ellingson got $250k, and has 4 consecutive seasons over 1000 yds, averaging 1200 yds/season.  

SJ Green is on the second year of a two year extension where he will get $210k. Green is older, but is still a 1000 yd man.

Now, Chris Matthews has not demonstrated comparable production to any of these 3, with a single season of 1000 yds.  And, he is also coming in late, after the peak of free agency, which likely affects the value a little.  Probably worth taking a little hit, just to exhaust the NFL possibilities.  

But based on all that, I think you have to figure he is at the $200k mark, and that it is fair value.  Its possible he may have backended it a little to help the team with the cap this year, in exchange for a 3 year term.  This might be his last deal, so maybe he wants to settle in somewhere.

grab grass 'n growl
Leroy

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Ellingson won't be on Edmonton next year.

Horrible signing.
GCn19

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »

Walker got $275k, but has averaged 1500 yds per season (projecting full seasons).  So that's the top end.

Ellingson got $250k, and has 4 consecutive seasons over 1000 yds, averaging 1200 yds/season.  

SJ Green is on the second year of a two year extension where he will get $210k. Green is older, but is still a 1000 yd man.

Now, Chris Matthews has not demonstrated comparable production to any of these 3, with a single season of 1000 yds.  And, he is also coming in late, after the peak of free agency, which likely affects the value a little.  Probably worth taking a little hit, just to exhaust the NFL possibilities.  

But based on all that, I think you have to figure he is at the $200k mark, and that it is fair value.  Its possible he may have backended it a little to help the team with the cap this year, in exchange for a 3 year term.  This might be his last deal, so maybe he wants to settle in somewhere.

Totally agree with you on all points.

GCn19

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »

Ellingson won't be on Edmonton next year.

Horrible signing.

I have always felt that Ellingson and Tasker are the most overrated receivers in the league.

theaardvark

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

I have always felt that Ellingson and Tasker are the most overrated receivers in the league.

I will agree on Ellingson, but Tasker is a guy I'd have on my team any day.  I don't think there is a way you can overrate him.  His dad was a favourite of mine growing up, you could see the passion in his play, and the apple didn't fall far from that tree.  Tasker just makes things happen. At least it seems that way to me, maybe I'm biased by the name... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »

Is there any evidence Matthews had interest from the NFL this past off-season or participated in any camps?  I thought it had been established earlier that he had exhausted his NFL opportunities by using all his P.R. eligibility up.
rubanski

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »

Or b/c we picked up Jefferson as game breaker on D.

Really excited about this. We had a fantastic offence last year, and real big, deep threat like him is one of few things that was missing from it.

Bombers9256

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »

HOLY CHRISTMAS!!!! This just made my day.

#fortheW
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 05:08:39 PM »

a Rashad Bailey or Lucky Whitehead is not a bad #5 receiver.
Whitehead will probably be a guy penciled in as a DI for the returner spot. This Bailey Guy has huge potential but dont forget we have Kenbrell Thompkins who might have had the best hands on the team last year for WR's that had over 25 catches. Thompkins has the most NFL experience on our roster and I truly believe the only reason he didnt play all 18 games last year was due to the clubs blind loyalty to veteran WR's that get the job done when healthy ( cough, Dressler, cough).
 Lets also not forget about 6'4 Corey Washington who had  6 catches for 165 yards including an 80 yard TD in mop up duty last year.
Theres also Canadians Demski and Wolitarsky with huge potential and Simonise had a taste of the NFL as a 21 year old undrafted rookie. Simonise wants to prove himself, I believe has that NFL vision still

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
rubanski

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »

Oh man, I really disagree. Ellingson is a fantastic player. Does everything really well, just doesn't blow you away with any particular skill he has. The Daniel Alfredson of the CFL.

How do you explain the ridiculous # of catches and yards over the last four years if he's not that good?

sting

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »

If this late offseason signing works out as well as the one in 2018, I think that it will serve the Bombers very well!

Safe to say, it's time. The defense is shored up. The offence has all the tools. No more excuses. Time for a championship season in Winnipeg.
I would say the o-line is a area that has promise but until games are played it is still promise. Still cautious here for me but hope is there.
GCn19

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »

I will agree on Ellingson, but Tasker is a guy I'd have on my team any day.  I don't think there is a way you can overrate him.  His dad was a favourite of mine growing up, you could see the passion in his play, and the apple didn't fall far from that tree.  Tasker just makes things happen. At least it seems that way to me, maybe I'm biased by the name... 

I'd take Tasker too. I just don't believe he is an elite receiver.

GCn19

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »

Oh man, I really disagree. Ellingson is a fantastic player. Does everything really well, just doesn't blow you away with any particular skill he has. The Daniel Alfredson of the CFL.

How do you explain the ridiculous # of catches and yards over the last four years if he's not that good?

He played in a great offensive system with great QBs throwing him the ball.

In Motion

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »

Very excited to hear this signing!  I might actually go watch a couple
of games this season.
Colton

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »

I'm with you, Ellingson has always seemed like an absolutely clutch receiver on top of being consistently productive.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »

I would like to remind those that panicked early on when we didn't over pay at FA for a receiver that good things come to those that wait.

Looking like a great Bomber club as long as the OL sorts itself out.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »

Totally agree with you on all points.

I agree as well.  200k is about right.  3 year deal so we likely got a good deal.  I hope at least.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 07:23:37 PM »

I would like to remind those that panicked early on when we didn't over pay at FA for a receiver that good things come to those that wait.

I know it's your MO, but man, you've really got to stop with the "see I'm right and everyone else was wrong" and calling it "panicking" when people address concerns.

It's not reasonable to expect blind faith
bustamente

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »

It's starting to warm up outside TC can't start soon enough
kkc60

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »

Man I wish we were all as smart as you are
Pigskin

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

PJ should change is handle to PJpanick.
Fire101
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »

Great signing !! Walters is looking real good right now.
For game one I'm projecting: Adams, Matthews, Demski, Bailey, and Wolitorsky.

After paying BLM $700K the Stamps probably couldn't match the Bombers offer.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:01:22 PM by Fire101 » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:13 PM »

Stamps don't need him.  They will find the next Chris Matthews, and the next one and the one after that- it's what they do very well
Fire101
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2019, 08:09:05 PM »

Stamps don't need him.  They will find the next Chris Matthews, and the next one and the one after that- it's what they do very well

True, Hufnagel is a genius.
fansince79

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »

I'd take Tasker too. I just don't believe he is an elite receiver.

But he?s Steve Tasker?s kid, that alone according to Rod Back, makes him elite.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »

But he?s Steve Tasker?s kid, that alone according to Rod Back, makes him elite.

Grin
fansince79

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »

Does the Matthews signing signal the official end to Dressler in blue and gold?  Me thinks so.
kkc60

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »

I think Adam's, Matthew's, Demski, Hazel and Wolitarsky with Bailey on the PR and Whitehead as a DI
the paw

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »

Is there any evidence Matthews had interest from the NFL this past off-season or participated in any camps?  I thought it had been established earlier that he had exhausted his NFL opportunities by using all his P.R. eligibility up.

I think when he only signed with Calgary for the last 4 games of the season, it was to leave the door open in case he got any calls.  Couple that with the fact he signed now rather than early in free agency, and I think it?s clear he wanted to give it one last chance.

Which is only evidence of Matthews interest in the NFL, not vice versa.  It?s evident the NFL has concluded its interest, and the fact that he signed for 3 years suggests Matthew has as well.

He?s actually managed his career well.  Came here and established he was legit, and parlayed that into 4 years of decent income in the show.  Having played that out, he comes back here at age 29 and earns a healthy pay cheque for 3 years (and maybe a little longer if he stays healthy).

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »

I think Adam's, Matthew's, Demski, Hazel and Wolitarsky with Bailey on the PR and Whitehead as a DI

LOL. I have no idea which rookies are going to make the AR, DI or PR spots. I'm enthused about some of the rookies but will have to listen to TC reports. Adding Matthews is going to be another veteran presence that will help the young receivers.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »

I don?t understand the slagging of Ellingson all the guy has done is make plays!!  And his quarterback will be the same guy was giving the ball to make those plays, he and Trevor harris will do just fine there.  Besides Edmonton probably got both of these guys for cheaper than BC paid for Reilly!!

Matthews is a good signing by the bombers, much needed size and reliable hands
blue girl

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2019, 10:42:01 PM »

I was happy when I saw that the Bombers had signed him, then I saw that it was a 3 year deal and I was ecstatic. I think that the timing right now was perfect. When he became available last year the Bombers didn't have the money. This year they had every intention of signing a receiver and just had to wait until Matthews had finally given up the NFL dream.
Horseman

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 10:43:07 PM »

True, Hufnagel is a genius.

But not smarter than PJ, just ask him!
fuzzy

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »

This guy could be a key factor if Blue snag a Grey Cup in the next 3 years. On the other hand, it was a short time ago that Adarius Bowman was ushered in under great fanfare and was gone within a few weeks of the start of the season.  The good part of this signing is that Matthews looks like he wants to find a home and if he hangs on for 3 years, brings a Cup to town, he could join the community and make Wpg home. Its a win win win for Blue and most likely will turn out better than the Bowman Experiment.

Please ignore all notices until further notice.
PurpleReign

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2019, 12:50:11 AM »

This time I will remain level headed because I learnt from the Adarius Bowmen signing.  That didn?t turn out very well. Hope this deal doesn?t go bad for us.
blue girl

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2019, 01:05:53 AM »

The difference between Bowman and Matthews is that Bowman was on the decline when they signed him. Matthews was still playing well last year.
SSC

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »

Kyle Walters hits a walk off home run.

Bryant Mitchell next? Huh? Huh? Wadda say? Grand Slam?
Horseman

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2019, 02:21:55 AM »

Mitchell probably goes back to Edm.
bunker

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2019, 02:31:43 AM »

Very happy with this signing. Upgrades the receiver core big time. This is something we really needed to do to strengthen our offense, because there's a good chance the O-line will take a half step back this year, and Andrew Harris is another year older.
kkc60

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2019, 03:56:21 AM »

Kyle Walters hits a walk off home run.

Bryant Mitchell next? Huh? Huh? Wadda say? Grand Slam?
I say no because so far Nichols has not shown the ability to spread the ball enough to justify 4 high(ish) paid receivers
TecnoGenius

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2019, 05:22:18 AM »

Knew it knew it knew it.  I knew KW wasn't leaving the last piece of the puzzle to chance.  I knew he'd bring in a big name NFL or CFL guy (or in this case, both).

This is KW's MO: get these big name guys out of the blue and make it look like serendipity.  It's not.  KW's a genius and he's in talks with these guys loooong before we hear the news (like months).  First Bighill, now Matthews.  That's why KW wasn't too worked up in the pressers regarding lack of WR signing.  Ya, right, like he's leaving our dire '19 GC need up to the existing roster...

Personally, I was hoping it was Zylstra.  But I will gladly take Matthews.  He's not Zylstra, not by a long shot, but he's a big-bodied playmaker with great hands.  If his heart is into it, he can be great here in '19.

I know someone who's going to eat fat serving of crows...  Grin Grin Grin

DM83 (and me), if you go back and check over the last 2 months, were saying WPG needed a big name receiver.  We were miffed that it was starting to appear that KW had blown it big time.  That's why we were saying we might have to re-sign Dressler.  The people who should eat crow are the ones who said our WR roster was good enough, or let's see what we have.  It's clear now KW and DM83 (and me, and maybe booch and TB) were all on the same page.  We knew we must have a big name receiver for '19.

Interesting that he left BLM to come play with Nichols.  I think Lapo might have been a big selling point.

Or maybe it was just cash

CGY doesn't pay the huge bucks for more than 1 (or maybe 0) receivers.  CGY finds them and uses them cheap for a few years until other teams offer to overpay them.  Then they find the next Rogers.  Matthews was only ever a mercenary insurance policy to them.

Does the Matthews signing signal the official end to Dressler in blue and gold?  Me thinks so.

Yup, my first thought.  Final nail in Dressler's coffin (barring mid-season injury).  I sure hope Dress stays around in some role.  Or, goes back to SSK to do it there.  I just can't really see the CFL Dress-free.

My final thoughts: Matthews isn't the best, and he's sort of in the peak or falling-side of his career, but he has the potential to be the SB that we desperately need that can make those hard plays that CGY always does to get those 1st downs.  Even better, he's not just a post-running speedster, he's a great tough possession guy that can fight in those short crossers and slants.  He really fits in well with Lapo's philosophy, and Nichols' bread and butter.  So 66 should be happy because this guy won't require a playbook rewrite or change in Nichols' style.

My only concern is his attitude and where his heart is.  I don't have much to go on, but he seems to be a bit of a me-me receiver.  Not to any extreme, but possibly more than usually works well in the MOS locker room.  He also has a bit of a mercenary streak, which isn't the end of the world for a guy used to NFL money.  I just get the impression that his heart isn't always in it and he's like "show me why I should try for you".  I got that impression when he was here before, when he was with the Seahawks, and when he was in CGY.  I'd be delighted to be wrong, or to be shown that in the end it won't matter.  In any case, I don't think he'll blow up the locker room, and this signing only makes us stronger.

This is NOT Bowman redux.  This is the final piece in the puzzle, and our best shot in 15 years at a GC.
Blue72

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »

Now does LaPolice change the play book and start moving the ball more than 5 yards and does Nichols start using his big boys properly. This year we should have good size receivers with speed so we should be able to take some pressure off Harris
Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

Now does LaPolice change the play book and start moving the ball more than 5 yards and does Nichols start using his big boys properly. This year we should have good size receivers with speed so we should be able to take some pressure off Harris

Yes. We didn't sign a top receiver for a significant amount of money to just throw him 5 yard passes. It's going to create more issues for defenses on deciding who and when to double team either Adams or Matthews.

It's going to clear more space for the receivers so they don't have to find a space to " sit " on as many routes. Even on short routes we should see more receptions caught in full stride and our YAC should go up across the spectrum.

Changes will be subtle but productive IMO.

No more excuses.
Nic16

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »

A much needed signing as most avid BB fans (and CFL media) would attest too. LaPo finally has the big target he has always wanted...since well...the first time he had Matthews.

My hope now is Corey Washington is ready to grab that 3rd INT receiver spot. He?d provide another big target that has shown a brief glimpse of downfield big play ability.

Matthews & Adams could be interchangeable at boundary side WR/SB.

Demski & Woli at field slot (backed up by Whitehead & Peterman)

Washington at field WR (splitting 50/50 with Simonise)

PR - A versatile receiver with size and that can play inside & outside, and one of the returner/receiver types.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »

"Coming back to Winnipeg was a no brainer for me." | Matthews coming home- Ed Tait

Chris Matthews was just a wide-eyed kid back then, a 22-year-old with obvious physical gifts, but with just one NFL camp invitation and a stint with the Iowa Barnstormers on his professional football resume.

It was 2012 and Matthews - a fresh-faced rookie from California and via the University of Kentucky, Cleveland Browns and the Barnstormers - arrived in Winnipeg simply hoping to find a football home.

He did that and then some almost instantly, earning a starting gig as a rookie, catching a TD in his first game in B.C. and then scoring the first TD in the history of IG Field in 2013.

And by season's end, he was not just a household name in Winnipeg - becoming the first rookie in club history to lead the team in receiving with 1,192 yards on 81 catches - but was also named the Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Rookie.

Fast forward just over seven years and the Matthews that returns to the Bombers is now a polished 29-year-old receiver who starred in a Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks and returned to the CFL last fall to help the Calgary Stampeders win a Grey Cup.

So, for the Bombers - who spent the winter looking for another big-play receiver to add to their offence - Matthews is like manna from heaven. He's a massive target at 6-5, 230 and there aren't a lot of miles on his tread. Consider that injuries and the fight for playing time limited him to 22 games over four years in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens, and his stint with the Stamps included just four regular season and two playoff contests.

"I'm still young," said Matthews during a media conference call Friday from Los Angeles. "I know that probably in football eyes I'm old as dirt, but in regular life I'm still a young man.

"Me being in the NFL, I got to play and contribute to teams... unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay healthy at times. I think even though that's seen as a fault, I think it's a plus coming back to the CFL because I'm a lot fresher than a lot of other guys would be going into the CFL or being in the CFL a long time and trying to figure out if they could play any longer.

"I'm a fresh body and I feel like I have years to come and hopefully I can stick it out with Winnipeg until I retire. That's my ultimate goal: to retire as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber. I want my name to be up there with Milt Stegall and Terrence Edwards and along with the other greats."

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Buck

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »

This is a massive signing.  The guy is clutch and will fight to make catches.  Our offence looks a whole lot better today..
Fire101
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »

Now does LaPolice change the play book and start moving the ball more than 5 yards and does Nichols start using his big boys properly.

He better change the playbook, otherwise show him the door.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2019, 01:20:02 AM »

He better change the playbook, otherwise show him the door.

I really don't think Lapo will make huge changes.  At least not right out of the gate.  The beauty of Matthews is that his size makes him perfect for Lapo's current book.  And his speed/height will make him perfect for the deep ball when we want to take the shot.

I think Lapo will continue like last year, where it was clear from week 1 that he was trying to integrate the deep ball more frequently.  Every game last year Lapo would take 2-3 really deep shots to Adams or whoever.  Most of them didn't connect.  But it was clear Lapo/Nichols were working on the deep ball and trying to open it up.

So I see them doing much the same but taking 3-4 deep shots a game.  I think Matthews might connect on more because he can better adjust to the ball and fight off smaller pesky DBs.

What I don't see is Lapo suddenly sending Adams go to the post and Matthews go down the boundary rail every 3rd play.  Our QB isn't Reilly, and our coach isn't Maas, after all.

So expect some more aggressive plays, and hopefully some more layered mid routes and clearing patterns.  And hopefully 1-2 shots a game where both Adams/Matthews tear down go routes.  But no morphing into '17 EDM.  I'd be happy if we looked a lot more like '17-'18 CGY in playcalling.

"I'm a fresh body and I feel like I have years to come and hopefully I can stick it out with Winnipeg until I retire. That's my ultimate goal: to retire as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber. I want my name to be up there with Milt Stegall and Terrence Edwards and along with the other greats."

Now that's a good attitude.  If he is sincere and keeps to that mindset, he'll do very well in WPG, and I'll be one happy fan indeed.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2019, 03:28:17 AM »

Hey, does anyone know what Matthews injury history is?  What did he sit out 2016 with?  Is he likely to stay healthy or is he going to be a Nick Moore?
Pigskin

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2019, 04:54:15 AM »

So on average we should expect one more deep ball per game? I would like to see us throw the deep ball a little more often then that, but it would depend on Matt, and how much protection our OL gives him.
Blue In BC

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »

So on average we should expect one more deep ball per game? I would like to see us throw the deep ball a little more often then that, but it would depend on Matt, and how much protection our OL gives him.

Not exactly. Defenses will know we're capable of more than 1 receiver going deep. It may force them further off the LOS and may create choices on which and when to double cover. That may change what might have been 3 - 5 yard routes into 6 - 8 yard routes. If they defenses aren't crowding the LOS it should take the pressure off the RB's getting hit in the back field whether on run or swing passes. All that means more YAC and possibly shorter 2nd down plays needed to secure a 1st down.

We'll see how things are adapted after a few weeks.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:53 AM »

Not exactly. Defenses will know we're capable of more than 1 receiver going deep. It may force them further off the LOS and may create choices on which and when to double cover. That may change what might have been 3 - 5 yard routes into 6 - 8 yard routes.

Exactly!  This could actually really help Adams' and Matthews' short pass game.  If DBs have to prepare for them going deep, and they run deep regularly, then that should open up room for our receivers to break off and curl back.

Add those two beasts to our superb assortment of NAT talent, and you have some great options on tendency-breaker fake-outs.  I think this would also help Woli's deep game too, as he'll be the last one they are expecting deep.
Tiger

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2019, 04:37:42 AM »

Matthews is a great signing. 

No excuses now not too spread the Defense and throw deep balls. 

There are only so many my players a D can double cover.

We will see what Lapp and Nichols can do.  Spreading the D will also help our Canadian receivers and running game.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GCn19

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »

The biggest benefit of Matthews is that he will consistently make the safety play deeper in the secondary. Every team has one stud corner for man coverage deep, but very few have two, therefore the safety will need to play away from scrimmage. This will open up the middle for Woli and whoever else is inside or will pull Lbers away from the flats where Harris roams. It makes our offence very hard to defend.

This is what Bowman was supposed to do last year, but he just couldn't get downfield fast enough.

GCn19

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »

Matthews is a great signing. 

No excuses now not too spread the Defense and throw deep balls. 

There are only so many my players a D can double cover.

We will see what Lapp and Nichols can do.  Spreading the D will also help our Canadian receivers and running game.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I don't think we will see a huge influx of deeper balls, but we will really see a huge uptick in the medium routes.

GCn19

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »

Hey, does anyone know what Matthews injury history is?  What did he sit out 2016 with?  Is he likely to stay healthy or is he going to be a Nick Moore?

He had a thigh injury that took some time but is not career threatening. He is as likely to stay healthy as any other player.

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »

This is a huge signing. He's the kind of receiver that was missing from this offense, IMO.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »

good signing... it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially early on...  based on the small sample from last year, it seems like Matthew likes to play in that mid/deep route tree, 15 to 20+ yard type of routes... also, he was getting almost 5 targets per game... it's going to be interesting to see if those extra targets come from existing targets or if the Bombers will scale back the run a little...

I know that most probably won't agree, but, I think that if we could sign Dressler for the right money he could help blow this thing up... 1) he's a good route runner and hustles, 2) defenders would have to respect him, if nothing else on what he's been able to do in the past, and 3) he's a known favored target of Nichols, which once again will make the defense have to cover him... Dressler could be good at creating extra space for Adams and Matthews and if they don't cover him he'll burn them...

you get Adams, Dressler, and Matthews running the mid/deep route tree, have Demski, Woli, and Harris running the short, intermediate stuff, create a lot of space and lanes... could be just what Nichols needs to make a comeback and cause fits for defenses...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »

good signing... it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially early on...  based on the small sample from last year, it seems like Matthew likes to play in that mid/deep route tree, 15 to 20+ yard type of routes... also, he was getting almost 5 targets per game... it's going to be interesting to see if those extra targets come from existing targets or if the Bombers will scale back the run a little...

I know that most probably won't agree, but, I think that if we could sign Dressler for the right money he could help blow this thing up... 1) he's a good route runner and hustles, 2) defenders would have to respect him, if nothing else on what he's been able to do in the past, and 3) he's a known favored target of Nichols, which once again will make the defense have to cover him... Dressler could be good at creating extra space for Adams and Matthews and if they don't cover him he'll burn them...

you get Adams, Dressler, and Matthews running the mid/deep route tree, have Demski, Woli, and Harris running the short, intermediate stuff, create a lot of space and lanes... could be just what Nichols needs to make a comeback and cause fits for defenses...

You're right. I think most will disagree about the Dressler idea. Time to move on and find the next Dressler in TC.

As much as we're thrilled about signing Matthews, at some point we have to stop signing a Bowman or Matthews each TC for big SMS. We need to start finding rookies that stick beyond 1 season and become the next Dressler or Walker etc etc. Sounds like we have some interesting rookies this TC.

I want to see whether someone new rises to the top or we run with the 2018 PR players.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:44:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 02:46:10 AM »

Some great news for the Bombers since signing Biggie...now our offence has someone who can go and get those jump balls....that is if given the opportunity.   Opens up the middle somewhat as they have to respect Adams speed and Matthews speed and jump ball capability.   

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
the.inkster

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »

My memory's a little fuzzy on this right now, but I seem to remember Lapo's scheme being mostly shorter passes during the 2017 season. I feel like 2018 saw more deep balls, with the vast majority of those going to Adams. I'm thinking with Matthews on board we'll see the trend continue this season, and WE'LL be the ones making those "explosion plays" that we've fallen victim to so many times the past few years!
GCn19

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »

I would rather have more first downs, own the TOP, and consistently drive for points than to take more deep shots. Everyone criticizes our lack of deep balls and I'm not sure why? There is a reason we don't go deep that often. I will list the reasons why it APPEARS we throw less deep shots than other teams, and the stats don't actually back that up btw. But for the sake of argument lets pretend we take less deep shots than other teams, I will list the reasons why:

1. Our offence is able to move the chains consistently eliminating the need for ripping off big chunks of real estate.
2. We have an excellent running game that we use to great effect
3. We are a winning club over the past 2 years that doesn't play from behind a lot. That is when most teams start throwing the deep balls with more regularity.

the.inkster

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »

I would rather have more first downs, own the TOP, and consistently drive for points than to take more deep shots. Everyone criticizes our lack of deep balls and I'm not sure why? There is a reason we don't go deep that often. I will list the reasons why it APPEARS we throw less deep shots than other teams, and the stats don't actually back that up btw. But for the sake of argument lets pretend we take less deep shots than other teams, I will list the reasons why:

1. Our offence is able to move the chains consistently eliminating the need for ripping off big chunks of real estate.
3. We are a winning club over the past 2 years that doesn't play from behind a lot. That is when most teams start throwing the deep balls with more regularity.

For me, in really simple terms it comes down to two things: 1) Risk management and 2) Adjusting play-style to match the time of the season.

1) I'd really like to see Lapo call the deep ball early on in games so we can: put together an early lead (if they're successful) / open up things for the running game / still have time to make adjustments and make up ground (if they aren't successful)
2) We all know a strong ground game is the key to a deep playoff run. What better way to keep your RBs fresh than to have some of that workload taken off of him by sending your receivers deep and keep the defences honest?

Ultimately, I think Matthews provides the threat for more deep balls to be thrown (and successfully caught) which in itself helps the rest of the offence. Everybody knows that the Bombers employ a strong possession-style offence that relies heavily on the run game. Having two receivers (arguably three, with Woli) who are legitimate threats for the deep ball adds another dimension to our game. Can't wait to see what Lapo the mad scientist comes up with this year!
Blue In BC

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »

For me, in really simple terms it comes down to two things: 1) Risk management and 2) Adjusting play-style to match the time of the season.

1) I'd really like to see Lapo call the deep ball early on in games so we can: put together an early lead (if they're successful) / open up things for the running game / still have time to make adjustments and make up ground (if they aren't successful)
2) We all know a strong ground game is the key to a deep playoff run. What better way to keep your RBs fresh than to have some of that workload taken off of him by sending your receivers deep and keep the defences honest?

Ultimately, I think Matthews provides the threat for more deep balls to be thrown (and successfully caught) which in itself helps the rest of the offence. Everybody knows that the Bombers employ a strong possession-style offence that relies heavily on the run game. Having two receivers (arguably three, with Woli) who are legitimate threats for the deep ball adds another dimension to our game. Can't wait to see what Lapo the mad scientist comes up with this year!

We may not throw a large number more of deep passes.  It might only be a couple and layered at depths.. We may complete more than in the past. 

Matthews will influence the defenses which is the real point of how it will impact our offense.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »

Agreed, as far as strategy goes I'm putting money on the time consuming drives that chew up the clock over the quick but riskier home-run shots every time.  Grinding the ball up the field cuts down on the quick two and outs and also effectively tires the opposing D out and keeps their O from finding rhythm or gaining momentum. 

I certainly would welcome more 15-20 yard passing plays to expand the O and I think this is where Matthews is going to help out the most.
Blue In BC

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »

Agreed, as far as strategy goes I'm putting money on the time consuming drives that chew up the clock over the quick but riskier home-run shots every time.  Grinding the ball up the field cuts down on the quick two and outs and also effectively tires the opposing D out and keeps their O from finding rhythm or gaining momentum. 

I certainly would welcome more 15-20 yard passing plays to expand the O and I think this is where Matthews is going to help out the most.

You need to be able to make the big play when coming from behind. A time consuming drive works if you have time but when you don't, then you need a deep shot capability.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »

You need to be able to make the big play when coming from behind. A time consuming drive works if you have time but when you don't, then you need a deep shot capability.

Very true, good to keep the long-ball in play for when it's really needed.  Certainly don't mind seeing 3 or 4 deep shots attempted every game to keep them well practised, a 50% completion rate on passes over 30 yds. would be a reasonable expectation.
blue_or_die

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2019, 07:34:35 PM »

This is the type of play I would like us to see make our MO this year with our arsenal. It feels good to go from 1st and 10 to 1st and 10 right away, consistently, and be able to march and get points most drives.

I think Matthews throws us over the border of being "dink and dunk", risk averse, time management offense to a threat to score on every drive-type offense, whether that includes more "deep" (~50 yards) balls or not. I could really care less about the super high risk stuff other than, as mentioned, to mark our ability to come from behind when needed, and as a fan who just likes to see super exciting plays.

It's at the point where I don't even care about entertainment, we just need to win a g** d*** championship, lol.
booch

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »

we threw quite a few deeper shots last year, just didn't complete many....but now with Adams doing his thing..Woli more involved inside in a more midrange area and Matthews..I can see(hope) to see more layerd routes and moving out defenders for longer passes, with guys in stride...not static
TecnoGenius

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:05 PM »

It's at the point where I don't even care about entertainment, we just need to win a g** d*** championship, lol.

You and me both.  I watched the '90 GC I PVRd on ESPN Classic again and it was pretty boring, especially if you were not a WPG fan.  It was clearly a blow out by halftime.  I'd be perfectly happy to have that type of season and boring GC win in '19!!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: