Blue Bombers Forum
September 19, 2019, 03:22:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ...and Lucky Whitehead signs with the Bombers  (Read 1968 times)
Norm W

« on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/09/bombers-sign-receiver-lucky-whitehead/

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:24 PM »

WINNIPEG, MB., May 9, 2019 -  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has signed international wide receiver Lucky Whitehead.

Whitehead (5'9, 180, Florida Atlantic University, June 2, 1992 in Manassas, VA.) attended the club's mini-camp last month in Florida. He played three seasons in the NFL after being signed by the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2015. Whitehead had 1,151 total return yards, 189 rushing yards and nine receptions for 64 receiving yards in 30 games. Whitehead spent his two-year college career at Florida Atlantic, totaling 896 receiving yards and 10 total touchdowns in 19 games.
booch

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »

Be interesting to see what he can bring, and if he can wrap his head around the Canadian Nuances. I would think he will be playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder as to how he got a raw deal in the NFL..
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »

Be interesting to see what he can bring, and if he can wrap his head around the Canadian Nuances. I would think he will be playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder as to how he got a raw deal in the NFL..

I read up on him a bit. Seems like mostly self-inflicted issues to me but hopefully those things are in the past. I don't think talent was ever a question, especially as a returner.
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »

OK, now we have a legit dedicated returner.  No fair catch, wider field, 12 players, we will have to see if he can adapt.  Hopefully that is a big yes...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »

Thoughts on him being our answer to the Int receiver question? If so, is our pencilled in lineup potentially Adams, Thompkins, Demski, Wolitarsky, Whitehead (with Woli swinging inside as a SB and Whitehead as a WR)?
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »

30 NFL games: Receiver, rusher and returner so he has some experience and versatility. Could be / should be an early favorite. There are a few other rookie receivers with some recent experience (AAF ) and some NFL as well.

Versatility is a very important aspect for an import in making a CFL roster. Whether he's a full time starter or a DI that gets used in various ways, he's an interesting prospect.

I'm liking Bailey, Stewart, Johnson and Hazel among the new comers as well.

Now wondering if adding a new player results in an off setting deletion. Lawler comes to mind. He only signed Oct 18 so he only had an early sniff. Wasn't activated for game 18 against Edmonton.  Since then we've looked at a long list of receivers.

Curious Whitehead's signing took longer or perhaps just the announcement was delayed. Not an issue just curious what it meant if anything.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:20:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »

he could also be the perfect replacement for Dressler....with ability to run the sweeps and other running type swing plays...and allow us to have a big bodied outside guy as the other new Import...how i see it possibly now is Adams/Demski/Woli/Lucky and one of either Baily/C.Washington or Hazel getting the outside spot to at least start the season...depending on how we work the ratio too could see one of the outside guys who don't start, or Nelson as a DI...especially once Kongbo is ready as he can take what most likely is Roh's DI spot and be our rotational end allowing us the DI to be used at a skill position.

Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 08:28:10 PM »

he could also be the perfect replacement for Dressler....with ability to run the sweeps and other running type swing plays...and allow us to have a big bodied outside guy as the other new Import...how i see it possibly now is Adams/Demski/Woli/Lucky and one of either Baily/C.Washington or Hazel getting the outside spot to at least start the season...depending on how we work the ratio too could see one of the outside guys who don't start, or Nelson as a DI...especially once Kongbo is ready as he can take what most likely is Roh's DI spot and be our rotational end allowing us the DI to be used at a skill position.

Sounds like a few of us are not convinced that Thompkins has a lock to start or even make the team. He wasn't horrible but the prospects do sound interesting.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »

I actually like Thompkins and feel he was under utilized but may be a victim of team going with age, though I bet he can be a productive slot for a good 2-3 years yet..training camp will be interesting for sure
blueraid

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 08:44:07 PM »

Very interesting signing....Whitehead and Adams can wreak some havoc for opposition defence's ..I think this guy is going to luv our wide field with the speed he has...Hope he can pick up the nuances of our game in a hurry
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »

I actually like Thompkins and feel he was under utilized but may be a victim of team going with age, though I bet he can be a productive slot for a good 2-3 years yet..training camp will be interesting for sure

I agree. Many of this year's rookies are 3-7 years younger potentially and might have more upside.

OTOH, Thompkins has the advantage of playing most of last year and it may take some of the better rookies time to adjust to waggle and CFL rules.

So he'll get to compete at TC and the chips will fall where they fall. He might be less willing to take a PR spot than a 2019 rookie, so that might be part of a deciding issue.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:22 PM »

Lucky on the jet sweep, please. Lucky is quick.
Austin85

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 09:23:35 PM »

He has a history of ball security! Why sign him!!
PloenFan

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »

Cautiously optimistic, but we've been burned before with the likes of Kenny Stafford and Adarius Bowman.
Let's see how he produces in pre-season before anointing him as Dressler's replacement !  Huh
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: