Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2019, 12:23:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Brady Oliveira  (Read 1381 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »

depending on how they work their special teams units both could be rostered..technically all John Rush was last year was a fullback..saw no defensive reps, only teams and some offense time..so Oliveira could step into that role and give us more use, and Augustine is in Lafrances role..

Very true. I think we'll keep both. Whether they end up on the AR or 1 goes / alternates on 1 game IR might be a question.

I think both will offer similar but also different skill sets that will be valued.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »

The love that Augustine gets on this board just blows my mind.

He has impressed and showed promise in very limited time. That's it.

seriously? come on, you know why...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »

The love that Augustine gets on this board just blows my mind.

He has impressed and showed promise in very limited time. That's it.

LaFrance has enhanced his career out of one snow game...  we always hope that players live up to their testing, perceived potential, or can recapture lighting in a bottle...  nothing wrong with that, part of the game...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 02:51:55 PM »

Agreed. Like it or not, in pro sports, teams will favor their draft picks when all else is even. Look at the NFL, they often keep rookie draft picks that have been outperformed by UDFAs. Bottom line is that their reputations take a hit every time a draft pick doesn't pan out as planned and they spend a lot of time looking at tape before they draft. That usually leads them to believe in their draft process. Ekakitie was a bust, but overall the Bombers have drafted well so if they decide to keep Oliveira over Augustine I can live with that.

Yah, I'm glad the team can openly admit draft day mistakes and move on from early round picks who don't pan out within a reasonable time-frame.  It's nice to give them at least a year to acclimatize and show their value head-to-head, but sooner or later they have to recalculate when lower ranked prospects climb over them on the depth chart.  Recently un-drafted Cody Speller displaced highly ranked Qadr Spooner on the O-line chart, hopefully the days of giving Addison Richards 3 years to develop without ever having to wash his game day jersey are gone.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:57:55 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »

Yah, I'm glad the team can openly admit draft day mistakes and move on from early round picks who don't pan out within a reasonable time-frame.  It's nice to give them at least a year to acclimatize and show their value head-to-head, but sooner or later they have to recalculate when lower ranked prospects climb over them on the depth chart.  Recently un-drafted Cody Speller displaced highly ranked Qadr Spooner on the O-line chart, hopefully the days of giving Addison Richards 3 years to develop without ever having to wash his game day jersey are gone.

Richards was a 6'4 receiver with upside taken in the second round...  I don't really think that compares to some of the "missed picks" out there...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »

Walters also said that everyone needs to slow their roll on Oliveira. He's a second round draft pick and needs to earn his place on the field. He's likely a ST'r before anything else.

Absolutely he will be, and there's no need to rush him. My comment wasn't intended to imply that Oliveira will obviously displace Augustine, it was an aside that the guy gets a lot of love around here, considering...

seriously? come on, you know why...

I'm not actually sure what you're getting at. Do you mean because he's Canadian? Yeah, that probably plays a role. Undrafted Canadian guy wins backup job and does a pretty good job in that role. It's a nice story.

LaFrance has enhanced his career out of one snow game...  we always hope that players live up to their testing, perceived potential, or can recapture lighting in a bottle...  nothing wrong with that, part of the game...

...But everyone made fun of how LaFrance became a commodity after one good snow game. I wouldn't say it's a good thing to build hype out of a small heap of reps. Actually...that's some vintage Aards right there, lol Wink

I obviously want them all to do well...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »

Absolutely he will be, and there's no need to rush him. My comment wasn't intended to imply that Oliveira will obviously displace Augustine, it was an aside that the guy gets a lot of love around here, considering...

I'm not actually sure what you're getting at. Do you mean because he's Canadian? Yeah, that probably plays a role. Undrafted Canadian guy wins backup job and does a pretty good job in that role. It's a nice story.

...But everyone made fun of how LaFrance became a commodity after one good snow game. I wouldn't say it's a good thing to build hype out of a small heap of reps. Actually...that's some vintage Aards right there, lol Wink

I obviously want them all to do well...

blue_or_die, my apologies, after your response and me reading my original comment it, my original reply, sounded more than just a little snarky, which wasn't my intent... again, my apologies...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: