Blue Bombers Forum
August 18, 2019, 09:03:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie Camp - May 15 to 18, 2019  (Read 5230 times)
TBURGESS

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »

The game day roster is going to be 45 whether the GLOB starts or not. So there has to be something to account for whether he starts or is just a DI. I have to believe that another GLOB would come onto the roster.

The real question of course is will we see these players capable of starting across the CFL in 2019? It seems unlikely but that will be interesting to watch in reports from TC's around the league.
I'm pretty sure that the CFL looked at the compete level of the Globals and saw that none of them were anywhere near ready to start. They gave them a 'special' spot where they could put them to try and get them up to snuff. I'd be shocked if any of them get a starting spot. Most we can expect is that one or two will play special teams this year.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the CFL looked at the compete level of the Globals and saw that none of them were anywhere near ready to start. They gave them a 'special' spot where they could put them to try and get them up to snuff. I'd be shocked if any of them get a starting spot. Most we can expect is that one or two will play special teams this year.

I'll be shocked as well but have some hope for Hansen since we got him as the 2nd pick overall. If the globals can't even play ST's then it really shows how bad an idea this was.

We drafted a kicker. He might have a chance to get on the roster to be used in mop up situations and see how he performs. Perhaps he's a better punter than Medlock and might be future in 2020?

A lot of the globals drafted are non ST type players.

This experiment would be less of an issue if teams were not struggling financially.

My bone to pick is that we'll pay 2 players to sit and not dress on the DR that are probably superior players.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:44:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
mondo3

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »

I see we released our 5th round draft pick Malik
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »

I see we released our 5th round draft pick Malik

As has been mentioned Malik suffered a serious leg injury at the Rookie Camp and is sidelined for the season.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Krahnillogical

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2019, 09:41:17 PM »

I'll be shocked as well but have some hope for Hansen since we got him as the 2nd pick overall. If the globals can't even play ST's then it really shows how bad an idea this was.

We drafted a kicker. He might have a chance to get on the roster to be used in mop up situations and see how he performs. Perhaps he's a better punter than Medlock and might be future in 2020?

A lot of the globals drafted are non ST type players.

This experiment would be less of an issue if teams were not struggling financially.

My bone to pick is that we'll pay 2 players to sit and not dress on the DR that are probably superior players.

Ultimately the league needs to find additional sources of revenue. Ambrosie and the CFL did a lot of research on this idea over the last year. If they believe there is potential to develop multiple small media contract revenues in Mexico and Europe, then why not try it? The roster position is an investment that you hope to grow into future revenue. Hope it works.
Blue In BC

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »

Ultimately the league needs to find additional sources of revenue. Ambrosie and the CFL did a lot of research on this idea over the last year. If they believe there is potential to develop multiple small media contract revenues in Mexico and Europe, then why not try it? The roster position is an investment that you hope to grow into future revenue. Hope it works.

Ockam's Razor. The simple solution is to grow the fan interest in CANADA. Market better and convince more fans to attend games. You know the one where the ratio is supposed to interest fans to watch.

If that's not the case eliminate it and fill rosters with American players. Which market is the bigger market place to draw interest? If the logic is that Europeans will watch CFL games because of one global player, what do you think happens if you add 21 X 9 teams more of imports?

We can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:49:01 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Krahnillogical

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »

Occam's Razor. The simple solution is to grow the fan interest in CANADA. Market better and convince more fans to attend games.

They've been trying to grow the fan interest in Canada since 1907. Limited growth opportunities at this point. Always need to be looking at other opportunities.
Blue In BC

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2019, 10:52:46 PM »

They've been trying to grow the fan interest in Canada since 1907. Limited growth opportunities at this point. Always need to be looking at other opportunities.

That's not the point. The point is if you can't do that in Canada, do you really think adding a global player is going to make a difference in Europe?

Here's a thought. There are 30K empty seats in Vancouver ( upper level closed ). Create a lower cost family friendly zone. Give 10K free seats to anyone younger than 18 ( high school kids ). Do the same for anyone going to UBC or SFU. These are not people currently buying tickets in any volume. Those are the people that can't afford $90 tickets.

Those are the fans of the future if you interest them as youths.

No more excuses.
Krahnillogical

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2019, 12:50:45 AM »

That's not the point. The point is if you can't do that in Canada, do you really think adding a global player is going to make a difference in Europe?

Here's a thought. There are 30K empty seats in Vancouver ( upper level closed ). Create a lower cost family friendly zone. Give 10K free seats to anyone younger than 18 ( high school kids ). Do the same for anyone going to UBC or SFU. These are not people currently buying tickets in any volume. Those are the people that can't afford $90 tickets.

Doing those things you mentioned doesn't preclude them from trying to go after other forms of revenue and other markets... but keep arguing if you like.
Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »

Doing those things you mentioned doesn't preclude them from trying to go after other forms of revenue and other markets... but keep arguing if you like.

A good business decision is a good business decision. This is not a good decision in a time frame where teams are losing money.  Shouldn't be difficult to understand. It's a risk analysis question.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:12:40 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2019, 01:25:00 AM »

I agree, Blue In BC... the true 'difference maker' will lie within the borders of Canada... not to say that there isn't opportunity in the global market, albeit limited, how do you monetize that, or at a level that could actually benefit the league, or in a time frame that it can help current teams/league?

not if you are to believe the statistics that the media like 3downnation or such are reporting... NFL interest and rating continue to rise in Canada and exceed that of the CFL...

Maybe Ambrosie could create opportunity here by actually sitting down with those demographic groups that are moving towards the NFL in each market place and find out why that is?

Maybe Ambrosie should require anyone interested in TV rights for the CFL in countries outside of Canada actually air at least half of the games each week on an actual television channel already accessible by the majority of the market, not via a private, non promoted, viewer paid app? I have no clue what ESPN pays for the CFL rights here in the states, but, if their answer is making their current customers have to pay an additional money fee in order to access it, the CFL might as well create their own app and collect the revenue generated for it here in the states themselves...  I don't know that there is any restrictions relative to orgin of product when it comes to creating and making apps available to the global market place...

ESPN isn't the only player in the sports television business... NBC, CBS, and FOX, or even the NFL Network, would love to add more football to their sports channels...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »

I'm not against trying something new to expand the global market.

The CFL is not the NFL. The organization of the league and individual team members do not have either the manpower or money to consider all options. Reports are that 6 of 9 teams lost money in 2018.

The CFL does not play exhibition games in Mexico or Europe. The NFL does not have a restrictive ratio rule to deal within their rosters.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: