Blue Bombers Forum
August 22, 2019, 04:07:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Other CFL Teams Draft Picks - May 2, 2019  (Read 1955 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: May 01, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »

2019 Other CFL Teams Draft Picks

Comments on other teams' draft picks can be made here.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
theaardvark

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »

David William Naylort @TSNDaveNaylor

Can confirm Oklahoma OL Shane Richards recently flew into Toronto. The @TorontoArgos have the top pick and a draft party they are hosting tonight. #CFL #Argos

Hamilton, you are on the clock....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Ridermania

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 04:23:29 PM »

Canadian offensive lineman Shane Richards is in Toronto, per CFL sources.

The Argonauts have the No. 1 overall selection in the 2019 CFL draft.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 04:28:34 PM »

A good choice most people figured an o-line would probably go first a few names could have been at the top, curious as to who goes 2-3. Will a receiver break top 3 or does a team like Betts enough to take him that early or will we see the top 4 picks belong to o-line?
Ridermania

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »

OL first 4 picks, then Bombers grab Betts.
GCn18

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »

OL first 4 picks, then Bombers grab Betts.

I think Hamilton goes receiver.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »

O-Day seemed to pick much "smarter" than what we have seen from Sask, recently. Calgary looks to have had a good draft. Bc IMO picked unique, I wouldn't say they had a good draft.
Ridermania

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »

Riders were very thin at CDN. receiver.

O'Day made two solid picks with Justin McInnis and Brayden Lenius.
booch

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 01:07:09 PM »

yeah but with no QB..and aging and weak O-line with zero depth on it...good luck those guys seeing much in terms of balls to them, let alone making much of an impact..also Mcinniss has a very good shot of bouncing around down south for a while...not to be a Rider hater but I think their draft was an epic fail
3rdand1.5

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »

yeah but with no QB..and aging and weak O-line with zero depth on it...good luck those guys seeing much in terms of balls to them, let alone making much of an impact..also Mcinniss has a very good shot of bouncing around down south for a while...not to be a Rider hater but I think their draft was an epic fail

They needed a CDN receiver and got 2, I think for their needs they did allright.
trapper

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »

They needed a CDN receiver and got 2, I think for their needs they did allright.

Exactly.  Picking anything but a good receiver or 2 would have been a fail.  Can't fix QB in this draft...O-line needs depth not starters.  They did well.  I think the only problem was giving up that 3rd round pick for Vernon Adams a few years back.  It would have been a good year to have that pick.
GCn18

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »

Exactly.  Picking anything but a good receiver or 2 would have been a fail.  Can't fix QB in this draft...O-line needs depth not starters.  They did well.  I think the only problem was giving up that 3rd round pick for Vernon Adams a few years back.  It would have been a good year to have that pick.

Your OL needs starters it has plenty of depth calibre OL. An ancient Labatte is arguably the only starting calibre NAT you have. When you have a Faberge egg for a QB, his protection has to be top priority. You simply cannot keep him upright for another season by never throwing more than 2 yards down field and expect to win this season. Not when your dominant D of last year is in shambles now. Lots of Rider fans don't understand how putrid their OL is because McAdoo put in an offence that had the ball out of the QBs hands in a nano second last year after ZC took incredible, almost biblical, amounts of punishment because of how bad the OL was early in the season. Even with a 2 yard passing game, the Riders couldn't keep him upright. It's a disaster.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:51:24 PM by GCn18 » Logged

GCn18

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »

I, too, am not sure what they were thinking. I can understand McInnis but they should have went OL after that.

booch

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »

Labatte is older and a walking injury now, and not nearly as good as he was..Bladek coming off ACL injury at end of season so doubt he ready anytime soon..and he wasn't stellar to begin with so this time off and rehab won't bring him back better..Shepley totally unproven and a lesser player than Gray..whom many think won't start this year here, so what does that tell you..Clarke...eeegads...bottom barrel o-line starter in league...no Canadian depth behind any of that and 2 average American tackles...so how the faithful there think they are sitting good at o-line is baffling...They also picked up Blake last year, but he is a 30 something average guard who isn't on the upside of his career...so to not take a top ranked o-line man IS a major fail..as thats one more year behind in developing a potential starter..

GCn18

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »

Labatte is older and a walking injury now, and not nearly as good as he was..Bladek coming off ACL injury at end of season so doubt he ready anytime soon..and he wasn't stellar to begin with so this time off and rehab won't bring him back better..Shepley totally unproven and a lesser player than Gray..whom many think won't start this year here, so what does that tell you..Clarke...eeegads...bottom barrel o-line starter in league...no Canadian depth behind any of that and 2 average American tackles...so how the faithful there think they are sitting good at o-line is baffling...They also picked up Blake last year, but he is a 30 something average guard who isn't on the upside of his career...so to not take a top ranked o-line man IS a major fail..as thats one more year behind in developing a potential starter..

Riderfans want to point to the vast improvement the line made after the first 6 games last year in sacks surrendered. However, what they fail to factor in was McAdoo completely revamping their offence so that the QB was never passing for more than 5 yard quick hitters. Sure he didn't get creamed as much, but opposing defences only needed to defend within 10 yards of scrimmage and their offensive production was non existent because of it. If the Riders want to play a regular style offence they needed big improvement along their OL....they have made zero moves to make that happen.

theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »

I think the steal of the draft may be Christopher Judge at 71st overall by SSK.  *Older* brother of Cameron Judge, drafted at 28.  Well played, SSK...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »

I know we dogpile Rider stuff on here most days but I am trying to see why so many Rider fans are happy with that draft from as neutral a standpoint as I can. Going receiver, receiver seems a bit of a strange move. Maybe it's just our luck over the last bunch of years but high drafted receivers haven't exactly worked out very often. There's more than one way to address a need and to use your only picks in the first three rounds on players that are very unlikely to make a large impact in year 1 isn't what I would be cheering for.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:29:44 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »

Could they be looking at a 3 or 4 man Int Oline?  If the ratio goes to 5...

Ridermania

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »

When Shepley signed, if lowered the requirement for a first round OL pick.

Next year's draft we grab an OL.
booch

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »

theoretically so...if he is starter capable right out of the gate...even if so who is backing up?..Bladek won't be playing to start the season so a raw rookie will start and be backed up by another raw unproven rookie?...which is whom?
blue_or_die

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »

I was also surprised Sask didn't focus on rebuilding their OL, especially in this year's draft when there were so many opportunities to do so. That said, if they think Canadian receiver is where they need to put their eggs, then they succeeded. Well, they will have succeeded if their particular guys work out, which is less likely at that position than OL.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »

I know we dogpile Rider stuff on here most days but I am trying to see why so many Rider fans are happy with that draft from as neutral a standpoint as I can. Going receiver, receiver seems a bit of a strange move. Maybe it's just our luck over the last bunch of years but high drafted receivers haven't exactly worked out very often. There's more than one way to address a need and to use your only picks in the first three rounds on players that are very unlikely to make a large impact in year 1 isn't what I would be cheering for.

I think their reasoning is that there is a good chance Justin McInnis is going to pursue an NFL career so he is a bit of a flyer being the highest rated receiver in the draft, so they grabbed Braden Lenius in the second round as insurance.  Don't necessarily agree with their priorities but both are great selections, I think Lenius will be a beast to defend against.
RebusRankin

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »

When you have a terrible OL with poor depth and nothing in the pipeline and a QB made of tissue paper, taking an OL with one of your top 2 picks is a must.
Ridermania

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »

Canadian receiver Justin McInnis attended the Tennessee Titans rookie mini-camp from May 10-12 but did not receive a contract off at its conclusion.

That was the second NFL rookie mini-camp McInnis attended after going to the Indianapolis Colts from May 3-5.

The six-foot-four, 212-pounder was selected in the first round, sixth overall by the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the 2019 CFL draft. The attention can turn to the Riders signing McInnis.

At Arkansas State University, McInnis finished his NCAA career with back-to-back productive seasons. He caught 49 balls for 800 yards and four touchdowns in 2017 and followed with 61 grabs for 748 yards and five touchdowns as a senior. Over the last 25 games as a Red Wolf, McInnis put up 110 catches for 1,548 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Size, speed and athleticism make McInnis an intriguing receiver prospect. At the Arkansas State pro day, McInnis ran a 4.57 40-yard dash, 4.49 shuttle, 7.05 three-cone, recorded a 10-foot, three-inch broad jump, 38.5-inch vertical and nine reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

The Riders gambled McInnis would be available for the 2019 season and came out winners.

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/14/riders-first-round-pick-doesnt-receive-nfl-contract-offer-after-second-rookie-mini-camp/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:34:32 PM by Ridermania » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 12:26:26 PM »

Sounds like a good receiving prospect. I love it when players home home, so to speak. No one wins when they're sitting on the practice roster. Or waiting at home just in case an NFL team calls.

My wife is amazing!
kkc60

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »

Sounds like a good receiving prospect. I love it when players home home, so to speak. No one wins when they're sitting on the practice roster. Or waiting at home just in case an NFL team calls.
Except they make more money if they sit on a PR for a whole year
Ridermania

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos have released Canadian offensive lineman Mason Woods.

The Eskimos acquired Woods in December 2017 trade when Edmonton sent quarterback James Franklin and a third round CFL draft pick to the Toronto Argonauts.

Woods was selected in the second round, 10th overall during the 2017 CFL draft.

The 24-year-old has yet to suit up in a CFL game through two seasons in the league.

The towering six-foot-nine, 324-pound offensive lineman has had two teams give up on him already.

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/17/eskimos-release-canadian-ol-mason-woods/
theaardvark

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos have released Canadian offensive lineman Mason Woods.

The Eskimos acquired Woods in December 2017 trade when Edmonton sent quarterback James Franklin and a third round CFL draft pick to the Toronto Argonauts.

Woods was selected in the second round, 10th overall during the 2017 CFL draft.

The 24-year-old has yet to suit up in a CFL game through two seasons in the league.

The towering six-foot-nine, 324-pound offensive lineman has had two teams give up on him already.

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/17/eskimos-release-canadian-ol-mason-woods/

SO, you are saying you expect him to sign in SSK shortly?  Wink

Ridermania

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »

Funny guy, must be the long week-end fever setting in!
booch

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 06:59:34 PM »

Well from sounds of it Clarke won't be participating in the start of camp...no Bladek..and all you have as a proven Canadian is old declining Labatte and Blake...so the Rider's scrap heaping O-line cuts this year from around the league is a matter of if...but when and how often...you have to admit you have razor thin quality starters thee, and next to nothing for proven depth...all protecting a QB who is one good hit away from a DL stint...again
Ridermania

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

Not really a 2019 draft related signing, but did not warrant it's own thread.

Argos sign former Riders No. 1 pick, Canadian OL Josiah St. John | 3DownNation
https://3downnation.com
Ridermania

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »

The Toronto Argonauts released veteran offensive lineman Chris Van Zeyl after 11 years with the organization on Saturday.

The 35-year-old from Fonthill, Ont., has been with Toronto since 2008, helping them win the Grey Cup in 2012 and 2017.

Van Zeyl played 156 games with the Boatman and is tied for 16th in all-time games played for the Argos.

Van Zeyl was named an CFL All-Star in 2013 and 2017.

The product of McMaster University was originally drafted by the Montreal Alouettes in the third round of the 2007 CFL draft and signed with the Argos in September of 2008.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: