Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 07:57:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Blue Bomber Draft Picks - May 2, 2019 @ 7:00 PM CT  (Read 11370 times)
PurpleReign

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2019, 11:06:38 PM »

Depends whether he can go back to university for 2019. Depth includes building for the beyond 2019 etc.

Malik has played 4 years, so he is eligible for a 5th year if he doesn't stick with the Bombers this year.
GCn19

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »

How much speed agility etc do players lose after serious knee injuries like picks 2 and 5 suffered?  I know it must vary, but generally speaking, how hard is it to return to previous form?

Thank you

Knee injuries are not what they used to be. The prognosis for complete recovery is usually very high.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »

I'm far less concerned about a DL missing camp than I am an Olineman.  DLine do have some chemistry building, but they rotate in almost every play.  So chemistry isn't as important as it is on the oline, who play every play together, and rely on every part acting in harmony.  DL are anti-harmony, they are chaos and mayhem.  Maximum disruption every play.  Kongbo seems to have that ability, he will slot in when he is ready.

Desjarlais seems to have jumped up the boards, topping out at a mock draft #1 overall from off the chart in Sept.  Lets hope that he lives up to the climb.

I'm OK with grabbing a local RB, will be good for the room.  And if he is willing to play teams, and can do it well, great.

Griffiths sounds to be a solid player, nice to have competition / depth on the DL

Eli could be the brilliant pick of the draft, the braintrust has been in contact with him, they obviously think there is enough of a chance he comes to the CFL to take a flyer on him in the 4th round.  He sounds like a top prospect if his head is in the game.

If any of the later round picks make it out of camp, or have eligibility yet to season another year in college, great.  These are not picks that are expected to produce, rather they are longshots and works in progress, and if they bear fruit, bonus.  Other than that, hey are nice non-counter camp bodies.  

Tavita is an absolute steal IF we sign him. I spent the past few days scouring the internet for details on him. Many scouts saying he was/is easily the best OL of this draft and a probable number one pick had he not been injured and telling everyone he wasn't interested. He has a year of rust and lack of conditioning he will have to recover from, but he is an absolute blue chipper. McManus knowing him and getting confirmation of his interest is the coup of the draft. Only problem is like Couture, and Desjarlais he is best suited for Centre.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:02:48 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »

Malik has played 4 years, so he is eligible for a 5th year if he doesn't stick with the Bombers this year.

Good to know. I can't see him beating out the current Canadian receivers right off the bat. Sending him back for another year is not a bad idea and he gets a chance to learn in TC.

Now if he can do something special on ST's then he has a chance to make the AR I suppose.

We can't add all 9 draft choices to the 2019 roster or PR. Building depth for 2020 still makes him a good draft choice.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:45:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »

Tavita is an absolute steal IF we sign him. I spent the past few days scouring the internet for details on him. Many scouts saying he was/is easily the best OL of this draft and a probable number one pick had he not been injured and telling everyone he wasn't interested. He has a year of rust and lack of conditioning he will have to recover from, but he is an absolute blue chipper. McManus knowing him and getting confirmation of his interest is the coup of the draft. Only problem is like Couture, and Desjarlais he is best suited for Centre.

Having 3 C on the roster is not a bad thing... 6th man usually is an C.  And you probably want at least on C on the PR...  when Goossen retired, I remember the hue and cry that we did not have a legit starting centre on the roster (some don't think Couture is there yet).  If Eli comes to camp in shape and ready to play, or Dejarlais is ready to rock, we could have a great battle at C.   

Drafting 2 C's after having a young C retire seems like a very good use of DP...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »

Good to know. I can't see him beating out the current Canadian receivers right off the bat. Sending him back for another year is not a bad idea and he gets a chance to learn in TC.

Now if he can do something special on ST's then he has a chance to make the AR I suppose.

We can't add all 9 draft choices to the 2019 roster or PR. Building depth for 2020 still makes him a good draft choice.

so how does that work with national players post draft contract wise when they don't make the AR and are sent to the PR?

any idea how their contract is structured? I ask because we talk about being paid more, so, are the bump in pay come as a signing bonus or do they have a PR contract that pays them the same terms of their originally signed contract as opposed to the PR minimum?  just curious how it works with them...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
the paw

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2019, 02:44:00 PM »

so how does that work with national players post draft contract wise when they don't make the AR and are sent to the PR?

any idea how their contract is structured? I ask because we talk about being paid more, so, are the bump in pay come as a signing bonus or do they have a PR contract that pays them the same terms of their originally signed contract as opposed to the PR minimum?  just curious how it works with them...

PR money can be anywhere between the mandated minimum and their actual contract.  in practice, it would almost never be at the upper end for a draft choice.  If a guy is a valuable enough commodity to pay a full contract rate, then he is likely to be scooped off the PR by another team.  Exceeding the PR minimum is more commonly used if you get a guy who maybe has some NFL of CFL games under his belt, he's 28 years old, and just isn't willing to hang around town for $750 a week.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »

I'm not 100% certain. However players on the PR can get more than the minimum amounts, whether they are imports or Canadians. OTOH it would be unusual to put a high pick draft choice on the PR. I'd be more inclined to see him moved to the 2 man DR or 1 game IR.

For higher draft choices there might be some fear of being scooped by another team. So some teams may choose to 1 game IR a draft choice that is still not ready for the AR but they don't want to lose. That's why there is an advantage where a player still has another year in university.

We may see this type of scenario with Kongbo for example. we don't want to give him more time to end up with an NFL offer. So we may sign him immediately and then 6 game IR him. While that costs money it's money not counted against SMS.

On the flip side we've kept Foketi on the 2 man DR for 2 years at full salary. It's great insurance if you need to use it but if you don't use it, then it's more of a question. I mentioned it's a risk reward question with no perfect answer. What we're doing is not a bad thing but it still falls down to roster size, DI's, ratio and SMS questions.

Foketi might just be on a 1 year contact now? So if we don't end up needing him we might have been better with a rookie on the PR being developed. The catch is that Foketi will be much more familiar with the playbook and could step in immediately if needed.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:58 PM »

PR money can be anywhere between the mandated minimum and their actual contract.  in practice, it would almost never be at the upper end for a draft choice.  If a guy is a valuable enough commodity to pay a full contract rate, then he is likely to be scooped off the PR by another team.  Exceeding the PR minimum is more commonly used if you get a guy who maybe has some NFL of CFL games under his belt, he's 28 years old, and just isn't willing to hang around town for $750 a week.

Yes but if you are going to pay close to full game salary you may as well just use the 1 game IR. That way he can still be activated any given week and is protected. It also allows another player to fill a spot on the PR roster of 10 player limit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:08:11 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »

thx guys, good to know...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
theaardvark

« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »

Yes but if you are going to pay close to full game salary you may as well just use the 1 game IR. That way he can still be activated any given week and is protected. It also allows another player to fill a spot on the PR roster of 10 players.

But if he is not injured, he can refuse being put on the 1 game. 

You can actually pay him more than min wage contract when he is on the PR, you can pay him Reilly money if you like.  Not smart to.. but you could.

Protecting players that are that deep on the DC is not a roster make or break situation.  As we saw with Spooner, he chose to stay on our PR rather than go to BC... not sure why, but had he gone, it would not have affect us at all.  Nice to keep the option, but not a roster breaker...

If a player is a development body that has a high ceiling but is not near ready yet, maybe you go to extreme mode in protecting him with an AR sized PR salary, or a spot on the IR... otherwise, there are better ways to spend roster spots and SMS...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2019, 03:24:07 PM »

But if he is not injured, he can refuse being put on the 1 game. 

You can actually pay him more than min wage contract when he is on the PR, you can pay him Reilly money if you like.  Not smart to.. but you could.

Protecting players that are that deep on the DC is not a roster make or break situation.  As we saw with Spooner, he chose to stay on our PR rather than go to BC... not sure why, but had he gone, it would not have affect us at all.  Nice to keep the option, but not a roster breaker...

If a player is a development body that has a high ceiling but is not near ready yet, maybe you go to extreme mode in protecting him with an AR sized PR salary, or a spot on the IR... otherwise, there are better ways to spend roster spots and SMS...

He can but why would he refuse? If it benefits the team by allowing another player to be activated game day as a higher need / probability. If he's a me 1st guy we should be looking for elsewhere in those situations.

There is no perfect answer and yes every solution has an SMS impact.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

He can but why would he refuse? If it benefits the team by allowing another player to be activated game day as a higher need / probability. If he's a me 1st guy we should be looking for elsewhere in those situations.

There is no perfect answer and yes every solution has an SMS impact.

He would refuse if he wants to play, and thinks he has a legit opportunity elsewhere.  We see this happen regularly. 

Blue In BC

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »

He would refuse if he wants to play, and thinks he has a legit opportunity elsewhere.  We see this happen regularly. 

On the 6 game IR yes, 1 game no. We don't see that happen regularly.  How is he going to play if he's on the DR all season? Unless he's activated during the warm ups ( rare ) then he won't play until the following week. He still gets to practice on the 1 game IR.

We keeping hearing players WANT to stay in Winnipeg because of culture. I agree.  Foketi re-signed in 2018 knowing he probably wouldn't play much unless there was an injury. He could have chosen to leave for a team that needed him to compete to start.

Who goes on the DR is situational. If we had lost Foketi in 2018 we'd probably have just kept an import rookie on the PR since we didn't have another 2 year vet that Foketi was at the time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:17:11 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »

Great read! Thanks!!

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: