Blue Bombers Forum
June 02, 2020, 09:59:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Blue Bomber Draft Picks - May 2, 2019 @ 7:00 PM CT  (Read 11671 times)
PurpleReign

« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »

Yeah, but still thats not a true equal comparison...also USports is a long way from the NFL or CFL..and in a lot of cases the NCAA...doubt he sticks..and if he does it will be languishing on a PR to never see the field..

Yes I know.  I am wasn't comparing ability that is obvious, I was disputing his small frame that was mentioned.  There a lot of DE in the NFL his size. You have to remember size is one thing and quickness and finesse are another. Betts is very quick off the ball, his weakness is in his run stopping at times. He didn't dominate against the run vs Western in the 2 Vanier Cups.  I don't think at this time he will stick in the NFL.  Maybe practice roster player but will be back in the CFL sooner than later.
PurpleReign

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »

It was a good draft.  My concern is I have seen how far behind some players get when they miss TC as rookies.  Hopefully it won't happen with these guys. 

I don't think we have to be concerned about Kongbo being behind missing TC.  This kid is a "freak of nature" for a man this size, he moves very well.  He will contribute for us later in the year.
booch

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »

also a mini camp invite won't prevent any player from being in TC unless they sign...and I doubt the o-lineman we picked will get an offer...so he won't be behind anything
PurpleReign

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »

also a mini camp invite won't prevent any player from being in TC unless they sign...and I doubt the o-lineman we picked will get an offer...so he won't be behind anything

I agree, Drew Desjarlais is a fine OL but he is not NFL material at this time.  He will be at training camp.
theaardvark

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »

It was a good draft.  My concern is I have seen how far behind some players get when they miss TC as rookies.  Hopefully it won't happen with these guys. 

I'm far less concerned about a DL missing camp than I am an Olineman.  DLine do have some chemistry building, but they rotate in almost every play.  So chemistry isn't as important as it is on the oline, who play every play together, and rely on every part acting in harmony.  DL are anti-harmony, they are chaos and mayhem.  Maximum disruption every play.  Kongbo seems to have that ability, he will slot in when he is ready.

Desjarlais seems to have jumped up the boards, topping out at a mock draft #1 overall from off the chart in Sept.  Lets hope that he lives up to the climb.

I'm OK with grabbing a local RB, will be good for the room.  And if he is willing to play teams, and can do it well, great.

Griffiths sounds to be a solid player, nice to have competition / depth on the DL

Eli could be the brilliant pick of the draft, the braintrust has been in contact with him, they obviously think there is enough of a chance he comes to the CFL to take a flyer on him in the 4th round.  He sounds like a top prospect if his head is in the game.

If any of the later round picks make it out of camp, or have eligibility yet to season another year in college, great.  These are not picks that are expected to produce, rather they are longshots and works in progress, and if they bear fruit, bonus.  Other than that, hey are nice non-counter camp bodies.  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »

I don't think we have to be concerned about Kongbo being behind missing TC.  This kid is a "freak of nature" for a man this size, he moves very well.  He will contribute for us later in the year.

The learning curve is a lot shorter for a DL than most positions as well. The biggest thing will be if he is physically big and strong enough, and by all accounts he is.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »

I agree, Drew Desjarlais is a fine OL but he is not NFL material at this time.  He will be at training camp.

I actually hope he gets to go to a NFL camp this year. 

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2019, 04:48:08 PM »

Would the Bombers put him on the injury list right from day one and would it be game by game or longer to save some SMS. But you want him to practice as soon as possible.

I wondered about that as well. It sounded as though he might not be ready until mid season so he'd be a 9 game IR candidate IMO if we sign him now.

That isn't the worst idea either. It costs some money but not against the SMS.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »

I don't know much about any of the players in the draft. I get the general impression by those that know, we had a good draft.

Where each fits in and who each is pushing I also don't know. Probably a few have some eligibility left and a couple may end up on the PR.

Overall our current Canadian roster is looking pretty good but not without questions.

There are a few players that appear to have the confidence of O'Shea. The 2018 OL draft choices + Gray + 2019 draft choices will be watched by all. How quickly their learning curve is the question at the moment.  Where each falls into the grand scheme will be decided soon enough. There does seem to be an abundance of raw talent.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2019, 05:09:24 PM »

Walters press conference post draft.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mnGevZMZoQJX
TBURGESS

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »

Good press conference.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Blue In BC

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

The draft pool was a talented group according to all. A few may not be immediately available but many will be on opening day rosters across the CFL. Perhaps not in starting roles but in backup or ST spots.

As far as Winnipeg we had some impressive top round picks.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »

I can't see any of our picks not being here, and be safe to say the top 4 will stick for sure in some capacity, and quite possibly the receiver we picked too
TBURGESS

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »

I can't see any of our picks not being here, and be safe to say the top 4 will stick for sure in some capacity, and quite possibly the receiver we picked too
Which current players do you see them replacing?

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Blue In BC

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »

Any of our picks have eligibility left?  Any of the receivers or DB's have good ST experience / capabilities that improve their chances?

I think our 2018 draft choices might have to hold onto their hats from the new competition. That's not to suggest those players are bad but the new group might be better. That's never a bad thing to have these kinds of choices.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: