Blue Bombers Forum
August 08, 2020, 02:00:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Transactions - April 29, 2019  (Read 11697 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »

but that's not the conversation we were having... we were talking about signing another 'big name' receiver to help Darvin out... unless you're sending another receiver deep with Darvin, or the new guy, it doesn't matter as Darvin/new guy will still be in a double coverage type of scenario... you have to send 2 deep to make them have to make a choice otherwise your safety just plays over the top until he sees where the play is going...

but more over, why keep going out and bringing in these guys with sub 4.5 speed and height and then play them in the box... you know as well as I that these tall speedy receiver are usually not very, or as physical as the typical possession type receiver... it hurts even more when you are asking them to run these stop routes and come backs, that's not what they're good at...

when you watch these type of guys play you don't always need as much time in the pocket as one might think... if you have these 4.4 or 4.3 guys you can just throw the ball to the open spot and have these guys out run their defender while running under the ball... now before you go all crazy on me, lol, I'm not talking about sandlot type of ball... you read all of time in draft profiles about a receivers ability to 'adjust to the ball'... not to mention, these speedy guys help QBs that have issues at times with long throw accuracy, one helps the other and vice versa...

you watch Calgary and Edmonton, they use their receivers to create these one on one scenarios and look for their guys to beat their defender deep or if they are playing off too far break the route off... just one of the reasons why their receivers seems to always be wide open... when they call the play in the huddle the QB or the receiver doesn't know exactly what route they are running until they get to the line of scrimmage and based on whether the D lines up in man or zone the routes can change, no audible, by design... 

but I do agree with what you said about those 20 play, 5 yard per play drives... I'd take those all day long and every game if you can consistently pull it off... you keep their offense off the field and allows your defense to stay fresh all game long... however, when you're in that rut and have 9 two and outs in a game it isn't going to be pretty...

The better each receiver is, the more options you have. If you know a receiver can shake and bake, go deep then defenses have to decide who to double cover and when. It frees up space for every other receiver.

Speed is good but we've seen slower receivers with better skills get open. I mentioned a bunch of important possible skills to that end.

We've seen some fast / tall Bomber receivers. None of them looked like Walker or any number of top receivers around the CFL. For that matter he could be a 5'7" ( B. Banks ) type that can turn a 5 yard pass into a TD.

If we found or find THAT guy in TC it will change the play calling IMO.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »

thats where our offence needs the tweek....you need to utilize the type of receiver like that who are termed QB augmenters too allow the QB to throw them open...use that speed and shiftyness to have the receiver run to the ball...not sit down and wait for it...much like 75 percent of our routes are game in and game out..

Use these guys to move out defenders for the layered crossing routes or just a deep fly down the rail, or post...when's the last time we seen two guys go deep and have motion out of back field to clear things out to hit an intermediate crossing play in stride for gobs of yards and only one db to beat , daree i say...rarely and close to never???
blue girl

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »

If we were to sign a deep threat receiver I see no reason why our offence couldn't change. As for the possibility of starting 3 Canadian receivers that will depend on whether they start 3 Canadian OL or a Canadian DL. That will be decided during TC.
Blue In BC

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »

Walters said it was an off season priority to upgrade our receiving corps. That suggests a willingness / need to modify our play calling to some extent by adding a different type of weapon.

The 20 play @ 5 yards ( exaggeration ) a shot is not the best style when you want to come from behind late in games.

We need to be able to open it up more when we want to etc.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »

Walters said it was an off season priority to upgrade our receiving corps. That suggests a willingness / need to modify our play calling to some extent by adding a different type of weapon.

The 20 play @ 5 yards ( exaggeration ) a shot is not the best style when you want to come from behind late in games.

We need to be able to open it up more when we want to etc.

20 plays at 5 yds per is not a great way to come back from behind, but a great way to get out in front and wear down the opposing D...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2019, 10:08:47 PM »

20 plays at 5 yds per is not a great way to come back from behind, but a great way to get out in front and wear down the opposing D...

Also true. Just thinking that we can tweak our ability to be able to be a quick strike offense. When you can do that it also opens up the run game and short pass game. It works hand in hand.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: