Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2019, 12:22:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Transactions - April 29, 2019  (Read 6884 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »

I think Petermann. He reminds me of Rick House. Like Woli82 last year, throw him the ball more and I think he will a very good year. I also would keep all our receivers. Simonize can back up Woli82, Petermann can back up Demski.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see Petermann and Simonise get more playing time. I think they may add some new plays / formations on offense that are geared towards their specific skill sets. Obviously there will be other plays where they'll get reps just as plug and play.

Game situation, giving starters breathers at other times etc. But that's all a good thing to get the next man up important reps when the game is still in the balance.

Woli didn't do much in his 1st season but excelled in 2018. I'm expecting somewhat of similar situations with the other two receivers. Confidence and familiarity in TC two will be big assets for both. QB's building chemistry from 2018 is going to help.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 08:08:41 PM »

I hate to overhype unproven players but whatever:

If Simonise and Petermann are the real deal, and we are having issues on the import receiver side, starting 3 Nat receivers wouldn't be bad at all.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 08:13:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see Petermann and Simonise get more playing time. I think they may add some new plays / formations on offense that are geared towards their specific skill sets. Obviously there will be other plays where they'll get reps just as plug and play.

Game situation, giving starters breathers at other times etc. But that's all a good thing to get the next man up important reps when the game is still in the balance.

Woli didn't do much in his 1st season but excelled in 2018. I'm expecting somewhat of similar situations with the other two receivers. Confidence and familiarity in TC two will be big assets for both. QB's building chemistry from 2018 is going to help.

Nichols has had a problem spreading the ball around in the past and I don't think that is likely to change this coming season no matter who is on the receiving end or their nationality.  He has favourite targets that he relies on time and time again, the other receivers get the occasional ball thrown their way but aren't given much opportunity to contribute significantly.  I'm guessing that Adams, Demski, Woli and Harris mostly benefit from this setup and the rest get thrown a few scraps, be it Thompkins, Simonise Petermann or somebody new.  Spending big bucks on an Import receiver isn't going to change the focus LaPo places on running the ball through Harris and the short passing game but it may alter the order of the target list.  In the end the results are much the same IMO.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »

If Simonise and Petermann are the real deal, and we are having issues on the import receiver side, starting 3 Nat receivers wouldn't be bad at all.

Ha - it's an interesting solution to the problem of not being able to find American receivers.
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2019, 08:38:25 PM »

Nichols has had a problem spreading the ball around in the past and I don't think that is likely to change this coming season no matter who is on the receiving end or their nationality.  He has favourite targets that he relies on time and time again, the other receivers get the occasional ball thrown their way but aren't given much opportunity to contribute significantly.  I'm guessing that Adams, Demski, Woli and Harris mostly benefit from this setup and the rest get thrown a few scraps, be it Thompkins, Simonise Petermann or somebody new.  Spending big bucks on an Import receiver isn't going to change the focus LaPo places on running the ball through Harris and the short passing game but it may alter the order of the target list.  In the end the results are much the same IMO.

I disagree. If receivers are open they're going to see the ball. Lapo calls the plays and the responsibility lies with him more than Nichols. If we rotate others onto the field more often that's going to change the dynamic as well.

Since Dressler is no longer here that's one security blanket gone. Others will fill the void.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »

I disagree. If receivers are open they're going to see the ball. Lapo calls the plays and the responsibility lies with him more than Nichols. If we rotate others onto the field more often that's going to change the dynamic as well.

Since Dressler is no longer here that's one security blanket gone. Others will fill the void.

I'm giving Dressler's corner of the blanket to Woli but he may be usurped.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:46:39 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
66 Chevelle

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2019, 02:29:44 AM »

you are absolutely correct, you need to look no further than player stats to see it... Simonise and Petermann were thrown to a total of 26 times last season... 26 times... Adams,  Demski, Harris, and Dressler were thrown to 110, 84, 78, and 64 times, respectfully... Thompkins managed 40 targets, half of which came while Dressler was on the 6 game, and Washington 14... I see Woli moving into Dressler slot, targets wise anyway... 

disagree, if Nichols is checking down before other players are completing their routes you can't say they wouldn't have been open... and I'm not sure why you say the responsibility lies with Lapo more so than Nichols, every pass play has a progression, Nichols decides where to throw the ball, not Lapo... I doubt that on every pass play he threw to the primary receiver each time, if so, then yes, it lies more so with Lapo... if you go back to the "mic-ed up" games you hear Nichols reminding players that they are 'hot' on the play call, basically reminding them they are the first in the check down order if he feels he needs to get rid of the ball...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Jesse

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2019, 03:28:18 AM »

Says the guy with the Poblah jersey

Wink Cheesy

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »

you are absolutely correct, you need to look no further than player stats to see it... Simonise and Petermann were thrown to a total of 26 times last season... 26 times... Adams,  Demski, Harris, and Dressler were thrown to 110, 84, 78, and 64 times, respectfully... Thompkins managed 40 targets, half of which came while Dressler was on the 6 game, and Washington 14... I see Woli moving into Dressler slot, targets wise anyway... 

disagree, if Nichols is checking down before other players are completing their routes you can't say they wouldn't have been open... and I'm not sure why you say the responsibility lies with Lapo more so than Nichols, every pass play has a progression, Nichols decides where to throw the ball, not Lapo... I doubt that on every pass play he threw to the primary receiver each time, if so, then yes, it lies more so with Lapo... if you go back to the "mic-ed up" games you hear Nichols reminding players that they are 'hot' on the play call, basically reminding them they are the first in the check down order if he feels he needs to get rid of the ball...

When you have rookies ( imports or Canadians ) in the starting receiving group, they are not going to be the hot route as often as the veterans. Their inexperience is not going to get them open as often or as quickly.

That impacts both the play calling and the QB's choices.

Woli had 1 reception in 2017 as an example.

Simonise and Petermann won't be rookies this season. Neither will Nelson, Washington or Lawler if they make the roster.

I need to look no further than your repeated dissing of Nichols. You have a bone to pic with him and I do not.

BTW: In 2017 Winnipeg had 8 receivers with 20 or more receptions. Not targets, actual receptions.

In 2016 it was 9 receivers with 20 or more receptions.

That doesn't sound like a QB having difficulties spreading the ball around.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:15:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »

When you have rookies ( imports or Canadians ) in the starting receiving group, they are not going to be the hot route as often as the veterans. Their inexperience is not going to get them open as often or as quickly.

Simonise and Petermann won't be rookies this season. Neither will Nelson, Washington or Lawler if they make the roster.

I need to look no further than your repeated dissing of Nichols. You have a bone to pic with him and I do not.

BTW: In 2017 Winnipeg had 8 receivers with 20 or more receptions. Not targets, actual receptions.

Seriously? where did I 'dis' Nichols?  lol...

I was merely disagreeing with your assertion that Lapo decides who gets the ball... Lapo calls the play and within that play there is a designated primary receiver, but who Nichols throws to is a decision made by Nichols, not Lapo... you need to quit being so sensitive, lol...

BTW: in 2017, 62% of all passes were to 4 players, 3 receivers and a running back and of the 3 receivers Darvin missed 4 games and Dressler missed 7...  in 2016, 69% of all passes were to 6 players, 5 receivers and a running back and of the 5 receivers, 4 of them played in 11 or fewer games that year, Darvin only played in 8 games that year...

DM83

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »

God you guys are depressing.
This receiving core is a joke.  Zero to get better.
Geez at this point signing Dressler would be the second biggest signing of the year.  How pathetic is Walters!?

Still not enough.  But when Adams. Goes down by the fifth game  ...time to bring back Hoss humard and suit. Wade up.  There will be zero people to throw to.

Seriously, this won't even be pro football.  This is bad.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »

and using Woli as an example for 2017 is hardly an example of anything as he was only credited as playing in 1 game in 2017...  truth be told, if Streveler hadn't have targeted as much as he did in the first 3 game, where he did scored 3 touchdowns, I doubt that his numbers would have been nearly as impressive in 2018...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »

Geez at this point signing Dressler would be the second biggest signing of the year.  How pathetic is Walters!?

Still not enough.  But when Adams. Goes down by the fifth game  ...time to bring back Hoss humard and suit. Wade up.  There will be zero people to throw to.

lol... I get what you're saying but honestly, we have a solid corp of receivers, it's more related to scheme than receiver talent with the Bombers, which is by design... we were last in the league last year in 20+ yard pass attempts...

our guys catch the ball when thrown to, we're just not a big, explosive play type of offense... I honestly believe that little changes if you bring in one of these 'big time' receivers, especially in this upcoming year as I tend to believe that Nichols will have less time in the pocket this year than he has had in years past...

but we'll be fine as long as ball security goes back up to the levels of prior years, we can't be having those game changing interceptions or too many 2 and outs... 

theaardvark

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »

Seriously, you have no idea if any of the new recruits will be great, or if any of the returning player will improve their game with time under their belts...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »

Seriously? where did I 'dis' Nichols?  lol...

I was merely disagreeing with your assertion that Lapo decides who gets the ball... Lapo calls the play and within that play there is a designated primary receiver, but who Nichols throws to is a decision made by Nichols, not Lapo... you need to quit being so sensitive, lol...

BTW: in 2017, 62% of all passes were to 4 players, 3 receivers and a running back and of the 3 receivers Darvin missed 4 games and Dressler missed 7...  in 2016, 69% of all passes were to 6 players, 5 receivers and a running back and of the 5 receivers, 4 of them played in 11 or fewer games that year, Darvin only played in 8 games that year...

You seem to take any opportunity to " blame " Nichols for these kinds of things, " as part of his style ". Ditto about Lapo to a lesser degree. Like I said, if rookie receivers are struggling adapting to the CFL game and not getting open or taking longer, it's going to impact play calling.

Chemistry with the QB takes time and impacts play calling. Woli, 1st year starter. Thompkins 1st year import that did not start the season. Demski, 1st year in Winnipeg.

I'm not the 1st poster to mention this about you and your comments about Nichols or schemes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:37:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: