Blue Bombers Forum
September 26, 2020, 04:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Transactions - April 29, 2019  (Read 12869 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: April 29, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »

Blue Bombers Transactions - April 29, 2019

WINNIPEG, MB., April 29, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has added international receiver Josh Stewart.

Stewart (6'4, 205, University of Texas at San Antonio, November 11, 1994) attended the club's mini-camp last week in Florida. He played two seasons for the UTSA Roadrunners, totalling 75 receptions for 1,200 receiving yards and eight touchdowns. Stewart finished his college career as the Roadrunners' all-time leader in receiving yards. In 2018, Stewart signed with the San Antonio Commanders of the AAF.

The team has also released the following players, all internationals.

Quarterback Bryan Schor
    Receiver Evan Clark
    Receiver Dom Williams
    Receiver Dennis Parks
    Running back Jalen Simmons
    Defensive back Terrance Baldwin
    Defensive back Jimmy Pruitt
    Defensive back Malik Reaves
    Defensive back Mykkele Thompson
    Defensive back Eric Patterson
    Linebacker Jarnor Jones
    Linebacker Chinedu Oparaku

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:40 AM »

WINNIPEG, MB., April 29, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has added international receiver Josh Stewart.

Stewart (6'4, 205, University of Texas at San Antonio, November 11, 1994)[...] In 2018, Stewart signed with the San Antonio Commanders of the AAF.

I'm trying really hard to remember any big plays by Stewart in the AAF games but am coming up blank?  Not sure he was on the field much?  However, 6'4" 205, 24yo, looks really good on paper!!  Maybe it'll turn out the CFL field/rules work better for him.  We shall see... as we await our star receiver saviour for 2019.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:37 AM »

15 players added back to roster including Rolland -Jones ( didn't participate at this mini camp)?

2019-04-29   WPG   ROLLAND-JONES, Ja'Von   DL   I   Arkansas State   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   HAZEL, Matt   WR   I         Coastal Carolina   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   STEWART, Josh   WR   I      Texas at San Antonio     Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   WARREN, Dale   LB   I     Tennessee Chattanooga   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   ROSE, Larry           RB    I          New Mexico State   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BOYNTON, Malik   DB   I     Austin Peay        Add To        Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   JONES, Mike   DB   I     Temple               Add To            Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   ESTE, Joseph   DB   I   Tennessee Martin   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   COLEMAN, Amari   DB   I   Central Michigan   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BOUTTE, C.    DB   I   Nicholls State   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BATTLE, Elijah   DB   I   West Virginia   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   WALKER, Kenny   WR   I   UCLA   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   WILSON, Tim   WR   I   East Stroudsburg   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   JOHNSON, Garrett   WR   I   Kentucky   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BAILEY, Rasheed   WR   I   Delaware Valley   Add To   Active Roster

There may some players still in discussion including Whitehead. There are still a few open spots for TC but it's difficult to keep track on the current count???
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:07:31 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 02:45:35 AM »

Here is information on two of the above who have been officially announced by the Blue Bombers:

Blue Bombers Add Two to Roster

WINNIPEG, MB., April 29, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has signed international defensive backs Christian Boutte and Mike Jones.

Boutte
(5'10, 187, Nicholls State University, December 29, 1995 in Opelousas, LA.) played four seasons for the Nicholls Colonels, totalling 98 tackles, three forced fumbles and four interceptions in 43 games played. In 2018, Boutte signed with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent and also spent time with the Cleveland Browns during training camp.

Jones (5'11, 190, Temple, September 1, 1995 in Baltimore, MD) played his senior season at Temple, after starting 35 of 38 games and accumulating 114 tackles, 36 pass breakups and 11 interceptions at North Carolina Central. During his one season at Temple, he recorded 44 tackles (36 solo), one interception and seven passes defensed, while starting every game at corner.  Jones was signed as undrafted free agent by the New York Giants in 2018.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
kkc60

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:32:04 PM »

15 players added back to roster including Rolland -Jones ( didn't participate at this mini camp)?

2019-04-29   WPG   ROLLAND-JONES, Ja'Von   DL   I   Arkansas State   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   HAZEL, Matt   WR   I         Coastal Carolina   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   STEWART, Josh   WR   I      Texas at San Antonio     Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   WARREN, Dale   LB   I     Tennessee Chattanooga   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   ROSE, Larry           RB    I          New Mexico State   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BOYNTON, Malik   DB   I     Austin Peay        Add To        Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   JONES, Mike   DB   I     Temple               Add To            Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   ESTE, Joseph   DB   I   Tennessee Martin   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   COLEMAN, Amari   DB   I   Central Michigan   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BOUTTE, C.    DB   I   Nicholls State   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BATTLE, Elijah   DB   I   West Virginia   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   WALKER, Kenny   WR   I   UCLA   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   WILSON, Tim   WR   I   East Stroudsburg   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   JOHNSON, Garrett   WR   I   Kentucky   Add To   Active Roster
2019-04-29   WPG   BAILEY, Rasheed   WR   I   Delaware Valley   Add To   Active Roster

There may some players still in discussion including Whitehead. There are still a few open spots for TC but it's difficult to keep track on the current count???
Whitehead and Rios were two other guys who intrigued me
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »

Whitehead and Rios were two other guys who intrigued me

Yeah, Whitehead for sure I'm expecting to get added. He was on our neg list and was reported to have had a good camp. Why he hasn't yet been added seems a bit of a surprise but there was a lot of roster activity yesterday. He may still be announced shortly?

Read some good comments about Rios and thought he'd get added. OTOH, we weren't at the mini camp so perhaps others performed even better and more consistently.

We'll know soon enough. Overall I'm wondering whether any new rookie will bump off any 2018 PR player as final changes are made getting to 75 roster today.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

Once these guys sign, no NFL window until next year, or until they are released.  I would assume all these players that have signed have no NFL aspirations at this time.  There may be others that are on our neg list, unsigned, while they hold out for a sniff after the NFL draft. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »

Yeah, Whitehead for sure I'm expecting to get added. He was on our neg list and was reported to have had a good camp. Why he hasn't yet been added seems a bit of a surprise but there was a lot of roster activity yesterday. He may still be announced shortly?

Read some good comments about Rios and thought he'd get added. OTOH, we weren't at the mini camp so perhaps others performed even better and more consistently.

We'll know soon enough. Overall I'm wondering whether any new rookie will bump off any 2018 PR player as final changes are made getting to 75 roster today.
And to be fair, I'm sure the signings aren't finished
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 04:59:34 PM »

Walters pre-draft press conference earlier today.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1kvJpOzZonQGE
gobombersgo

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »

And to be fair, I'm sure the signings aren't finished

Teams had to get down to 75 man rosters today. I'm not sure what the Bombers are at but they are probably at the stage where they will need to release someone if they want to sign a guy.

Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »

Teams had to get down to 75 man rosters today. I'm not sure what the Bombers are at but they are probably at the stage where they will need to release someone if they want to sign a guy.

I think they still had 2 - 3 spots left before needing to release others. IIRC we were 3 over before releasing 20 going into mini camp. Since then we added back 15. By my rough math that left some opening.

All that said, there will be more changes before and after rookie camp. Bombers might be trying to sign players not signed during NFL UDFA acquisitions after the draft.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »

I thought I heard they were currently at 68.
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »

Walters pre-draft press conference earlier today.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1kvJpOzZonQGE

He mentioned flexibility where to start the 7th Canadian. Is he saying that because the new CBA hasn't been completed even though both sides seemed to agree on only 5 Canadian starters?

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »

He mentioned flexibility where to start the 7th Canadian. Is he saying that because the new CBA hasn't been completed even though both sides seemed to agree on only 5 Canadian starters?
Until it is officially in the CBA you have to assume that there will be 7 Canadian starters.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 02:02:12 AM »

Can't wait for preseason and hoping for the CBA to completed asap, great info everyone

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 03:01:46 AM »

Sounds like talks are still ongoing with Whitehead.

Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 01:04:24 PM »

Sounds like talks are still ongoing with Whitehead.

We're probably at a point where the roster is 75. More additions will require an off setting release. Sure that can happen but if he's looking for a big signing bonus, guaranteed money or some sort or bigger ELC, he may be barking up the wrong tree.

He'll have to really have impressed. Maybe he did but there is a bit of risk involved.

No more excuses.
Nic16

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »

We're probably at a point where the roster is 75. More additions will require an off setting release. Sure that can happen but if he's looking for a big signing bonus, guaranteed money or some sort or bigger ELC, he may be barking up the wrong tree.

He'll have to really have impressed. Maybe he did but there is a bit of risk involved.

I ?think? the roster is currently @ 74...without Whitehead.

Walters also mentioned he would like to bring in 2 QBs that we?re at mini-camp. Anderson & McGuire.

*edit - I see Anderson was added this morning along with Rios. So, we might be at 75 or possibly over by 1 or 2 guys at this point.....??
At that point 2 players would have to be released to make room. I?m thinking a DB & one of the handful of returner/rec?s would be the first spots to look at.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:53:50 PM by Nic16 » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »

I ?think? the roster is currently @ 74...without Whitehead.

Walters also mentioned he would like to bring in 2 QBs that we?re at mini-camp. Anderson & McGuire.

*edit - I see Anderson was added this morning along with Rios. So, we might be at 75 or possibly over by 1 or 2 guys at this point.....??
At that point 2 players would have to be released to make room. I?m thinking a DB & one of the handful of returner/rec?s would be the first spots to look at.

Temple was added as well. Adding a 5th QB makes sense for rookie camp at the least. So many receiver and DB candidates need someone to be throwing the ball to see how they look.

Transactions may have happened that we haven't heard about yet. It's fluid.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »

Temple was added as well. Adding a 5th QB makes sense for rookie camp at the least. So many receiver and DB candidates need someone to be throwing the ball to see how they look.

Transactions may have happened that we haven't heard about yet. It's fluid.
Only 4 QBs on roster
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »

5th QB will probably be a Bison arm, or USports...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 04:41:53 PM »

Only 4 QBs on roster

We added Anderson but he said he'd like to add McQuire as well. I could see a Bison QB added for the actual TC and he'd be a non counter. One of Anderson or McQuire might make it beyond rookie camp to TC.

Rhetorical question somewhat: Anyone you think we might be looking to trade? I'm not sure why but I think we might consider trading Simonise. He's a raw talent but IMO he's last among our Canadian receivers and I don't know how often he'll see the field. There are several good receivers in the draft and if we choose to draft one, something may need to give.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:34:31 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Noeller

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »

Rhetorical question somewhat: Anyone you think we might be looking to trade? I'm not sure why but I think we might consider trading Simonise. He's a raw talent but IMO he's last among our Canadian receivers and I don't know how often he'll see the field. There are several good receivers in the draft and if we choose to draft one, something may need to give.
Nooooooooooope. Simonese might be the most talented NI REC we have. He's absolutely not going anywhere. This is his year to break out. The only reason he hasn't seen the field as much as the others is because he's stuck behind Darvin Adams on the depth chart, who was almost never hurt last year. Simonese is an American talent in a Canadian body.
blue_or_die

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »

Nooooooooooope. Simonese might be the most talented NI REC we have. He's absolutely not going anywhere. This is his year to break out. The only reason he hasn't seen the field as much as the others is because he's stuck behind Darvin Adams on the depth chart, who was almost never hurt last year. Simonese is an American talent in a Canadian body.

Quite the vote of confidence.

I'd say it's more accurate to say he's behind Wolitarsky.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »

We added Anderson but he said he'd like to add McQuire as well. I could see a Bison QB added for the actual TC and he'd be a non counter. One of Anderson or McQuire might make it beyond rookie camp to TC.

If they are going to trade anyone I would think it would be Petermann, with his height advantage Simonise is much better suited to the outside receiver spot....assuming they move Woli inside.  Not sure they could get much for Petermann with limited game time but I figure they will lose him to a team in the East as soon as he becomes a F.A. at the end of this season anyway.
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »

I like Simonise. Even if the ratio doesn't change I'm not expecting to start 3 Canadian receivers. I also think there is a reasonable chance we draft a receiver based on the top end talent in this draft.

There is such a thing as too many candidates for one type of roster position, especially if none of them really play ST's. IMO 4 is a good number to have. If they aren't planning to draft a receiver than Simonise should get more reps than 2018 but he's still the 4th guy behind Woli, Demski and Petermann.

Simonise is an asset and you trade assets for other assets where depth is not as good. If there is a trading partner that has an asset you want.

I'm not sure there is one where there is a win / win situation. Just saying I could see it might be a possibility depending on the team strategy.

If we HAVE to start 3 import OL that changes everything and I hope that's not the case.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 08:28:07 PM »

Quite the vote of confidence.

I'd say it's more accurate to say he's behind Wolitarsky.

I can definitely see the potential and where Noeller is coming from. Tons of upside there. More than a few guys have had all the potential in the world though and never do much, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »

If they are going to trade anyone I would think it would be Petermann, with his height advantage Simonise is much better suited to the outside receiver spot....assuming they move Woli inside.  Not sure they could get much for Petermann with limited game time but I figure they will lose him to a team in the East as soon as he becomes a F.A. at the end of this season anyway.

Walters didn't give any indication of moving Woli inside. Simonise might be making more than Petermann and is seeing the field less? Woli is also potentially going to be a free agent in 2020.

Like any trade it comes down to what might we get in trade. I'm a little nervous about our experienced Canadians on the OL. If another team has strength on the OL but weakness at Canadian receiver, maybe there is something to be done.

Don't get me wrong, I see potential in Simonise and he may even move up the depth chart.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:33:15 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Noeller

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »

Simonise was in the Cincinatti Bengals camp, and reports were that he was set to make that team except for the PED bust. Last year, in extremely limited time, he beat two of the leagues best cover guys for big plays. I know these posts sound like I'm some big RS fanboi, but I'm really not....just pointing out some facts. None of our NI REC are going anywhere right now...
kkc60

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »

Simonise has the most skill of any Canadian on our roster not named Harris. As another poster said, he's an NFL player in a Canadian body. His development might be different than that of Wolitarsky and Petermann but his ceiling is the highest while his floor is the lowest
booch

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »

Simonese is not behind Peterman...and I doubt Peterman sticks around out west anyway...and I'm not sold on him either...tends to drop easy balls.

Like Noeller said and I mentioned before..Simonese would have stayed in Cinci if not for the PED thing and they were wanting to put the time in to developing him...as a National in a receiver/rb/linebacker position that says something...he has all the tools and the body to be a big time player, and like was mentioned a National in an Import package...you have to remember that last year was his first real football environment again at a high level in 3 years
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »

5th QB will probably be a Bison arm, or USports...

No, it will be McQuire. Walters mentioned he want both McQuire and Anderson to compete for the 4th QB spot.
Jesse

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »

I'm not going to enter the RS debate - haven't seen enough of him to argue either way.

I think it would be premature to trade any of our guys - neither RS nor Petermann have seen the field enough to get back the value that we'd want.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »

I'm not going to enter the RS debate - haven't seen enough of him to argue either way.

I think it would be premature to trade any of our guys - neither RS nor Petermann have seen the field enough to get back the value that we'd want.

I like all the Canadian receivers. My thought was more about whether there was an opportunity to trade from one area of strength to improve an area which is more an area of possible weakness. IE: a prospect with equal upside still developing.

There are opportunities to add good receiver depth in this draft. I don't know that will be one of the decisions.  Those areas needing improvement OL / DL can also be improved in this draft.

Part of the equations include what SMS for each player is and duration of current contracts. We may lose Petermann and Woli next season as free agents. Not sure if Simonise is on a 2 or 3 year deal.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:32:47 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 02:44:24 PM »

Walters suggested picking the best player available as possible decisions.  That makes sense at one level but not always at another. For example, if the best two players are receivers, would that be wise decisions? You still have to balance depth across the total roster.

So seeing what position we draft at will be interesting. That said I'm guessing OL and DL but it's just a guess.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2019, 02:54:04 PM »

I like all the Canadian receivers. My thought was more about whether there was an opportunity to trade from one area of strength to improve an area which is more an area of possible weakness. IE: a prospect with equal upside still developing.

There are opportunities to add good receiver depth in this draft. I don't know that will be one of the decisions.  Those areas needing improvement OL / DL can also be improved in this draft.

Part of the equations include what SMS for each player is and duration of current contracts. We may lose Petermann and Woli next season as free agents. Not sure if Simonise is on a 2 or 3 year deal.

I think re-signing Woli should not be a problem especially if they can convince his buddy to stick around.  Grin
Blue In BC

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »

I think re-signing Woli should not be a problem especially if they can convince his buddy to stick around.  Grin

Yeah maybe. Who can be certain what 2020 brings in free agency offers potentially. Keeping in mind we lost 3 top Canadians this off season.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:57:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2019, 06:44:41 PM »

Walters suggested picking the best player available as possible decisions.  That makes sense at one level but not always at another. For example, if the best two players are receivers, would that be wise decisions? You still have to balance depth across the total roster.

So seeing what position we draft at will be interesting. That said I'm guessing OL and DL but it's just a guess.

There are some excellent receivers this year that may tempt Walters, but ultimately I agree with you.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »

There are some excellent receivers this year that may tempt Walters, but ultimately I agree with you.

That's part of what I had in mind about possibly looking to trade one of the current 4 Canadian receivers. I was just guessing Simonise as the possible choice.

Lots of moving parts in all of this.

1. Possible ratio change.
2. Possibility we start 3 Canadian receivers, although I'm not expecting it.
3. Perception ( Walters not mine ) that a draft choice might be better and capable of starting sooner.
4. Simonise may be pushing to start in 2019. In front of who if that's the case?
5. Contract costs and length. IE: A new rookie on a 2 or 3 year deal as opposed to one possibly leaving in 2020?

But overall I'm not expecting to start 3 Canadians and I don't think we draft a receiver at # 4 or #5. Maybe at #15 but that changes some SMS factors and we might be able to 1 game IR a new guy.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »

That's a good guess.

I'd go with these are most likely:
1. OL and DL
2. OL and WR

Outside shot of:
1. DL and WR
pjrocksmb

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »

That's a good guess.

I'd go with these are most likely:
1. OL and DL
2. OL and WR

Outside shot of:
1. DL and WR

you were right

PurpleReign

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2019, 12:15:00 AM »

Simonise has the most skill of any Canadian on our roster not named Harris. As another poster said, he's an NFL player in a Canadian body. His development might be different than that of Wolitarsky and Petermann but his ceiling is the highest while his floor is the lowest

That's debatable, my pick would be Petermann, who I fell has more upside than Simonize.
kkc60

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2019, 03:57:44 AM »

That's debatable, my pick would be Petermann, who I fell has more upside than Simonize.
I think Petermann has a higher floor but I think a lower ceiling.
Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2019, 05:03:27 PM »

Ok. 2019 draft accomplished. Get some signatures on the dotted line.

Proceed to finalize last minute changes to rookie camp roster etc etc. Whitehead comes to mind. There may be some neg list players that didn't get NFL mini camp offers that are now looking north. Might even be a couple of AAF players in our radar.

The excitement is building!!

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »

I think Petermann. He reminds me of Rick House. Like Woli82 last year, throw him the ball more and I think he will a very good year. I also would keep all our receivers. Simonize can back up Woli82, Petermann can back up Demski.
Blue In BC

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »

I think Petermann. He reminds me of Rick House. Like Woli82 last year, throw him the ball more and I think he will a very good year. I also would keep all our receivers. Simonize can back up Woli82, Petermann can back up Demski.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see Petermann and Simonise get more playing time. I think they may add some new plays / formations on offense that are geared towards their specific skill sets. Obviously there will be other plays where they'll get reps just as plug and play.

Game situation, giving starters breathers at other times etc. But that's all a good thing to get the next man up important reps when the game is still in the balance.

Woli didn't do much in his 1st season but excelled in 2018. I'm expecting somewhat of similar situations with the other two receivers. Confidence and familiarity in TC two will be big assets for both. QB's building chemistry from 2018 is going to help.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 08:08:41 PM »

I hate to overhype unproven players but whatever:

If Simonise and Petermann are the real deal, and we are having issues on the import receiver side, starting 3 Nat receivers wouldn't be bad at all.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 08:13:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see Petermann and Simonise get more playing time. I think they may add some new plays / formations on offense that are geared towards their specific skill sets. Obviously there will be other plays where they'll get reps just as plug and play.

Game situation, giving starters breathers at other times etc. But that's all a good thing to get the next man up important reps when the game is still in the balance.

Woli didn't do much in his 1st season but excelled in 2018. I'm expecting somewhat of similar situations with the other two receivers. Confidence and familiarity in TC two will be big assets for both. QB's building chemistry from 2018 is going to help.

Nichols has had a problem spreading the ball around in the past and I don't think that is likely to change this coming season no matter who is on the receiving end or their nationality.  He has favourite targets that he relies on time and time again, the other receivers get the occasional ball thrown their way but aren't given much opportunity to contribute significantly.  I'm guessing that Adams, Demski, Woli and Harris mostly benefit from this setup and the rest get thrown a few scraps, be it Thompkins, Simonise Petermann or somebody new.  Spending big bucks on an Import receiver isn't going to change the focus LaPo places on running the ball through Harris and the short passing game but it may alter the order of the target list.  In the end the results are much the same IMO.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »

If Simonise and Petermann are the real deal, and we are having issues on the import receiver side, starting 3 Nat receivers wouldn't be bad at all.

Ha - it's an interesting solution to the problem of not being able to find American receivers.
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2019, 08:38:25 PM »

Nichols has had a problem spreading the ball around in the past and I don't think that is likely to change this coming season no matter who is on the receiving end or their nationality.  He has favourite targets that he relies on time and time again, the other receivers get the occasional ball thrown their way but aren't given much opportunity to contribute significantly.  I'm guessing that Adams, Demski, Woli and Harris mostly benefit from this setup and the rest get thrown a few scraps, be it Thompkins, Simonise Petermann or somebody new.  Spending big bucks on an Import receiver isn't going to change the focus LaPo places on running the ball through Harris and the short passing game but it may alter the order of the target list.  In the end the results are much the same IMO.

I disagree. If receivers are open they're going to see the ball. Lapo calls the plays and the responsibility lies with him more than Nichols. If we rotate others onto the field more often that's going to change the dynamic as well.

Since Dressler is no longer here that's one security blanket gone. Others will fill the void.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »

I disagree. If receivers are open they're going to see the ball. Lapo calls the plays and the responsibility lies with him more than Nichols. If we rotate others onto the field more often that's going to change the dynamic as well.

Since Dressler is no longer here that's one security blanket gone. Others will fill the void.

I'm giving Dressler's corner of the blanket to Woli but he may be usurped.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:46:39 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
66 Chevelle

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2019, 02:29:44 AM »

you are absolutely correct, you need to look no further than player stats to see it... Simonise and Petermann were thrown to a total of 26 times last season... 26 times... Adams,  Demski, Harris, and Dressler were thrown to 110, 84, 78, and 64 times, respectfully... Thompkins managed 40 targets, half of which came while Dressler was on the 6 game, and Washington 14... I see Woli moving into Dressler slot, targets wise anyway... 

disagree, if Nichols is checking down before other players are completing their routes you can't say they wouldn't have been open... and I'm not sure why you say the responsibility lies with Lapo more so than Nichols, every pass play has a progression, Nichols decides where to throw the ball, not Lapo... I doubt that on every pass play he threw to the primary receiver each time, if so, then yes, it lies more so with Lapo... if you go back to the "mic-ed up" games you hear Nichols reminding players that they are 'hot' on the play call, basically reminding them they are the first in the check down order if he feels he needs to get rid of the ball...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Jesse

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2019, 03:28:18 AM »

Says the guy with the Poblah jersey

Wink Cheesy

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »

you are absolutely correct, you need to look no further than player stats to see it... Simonise and Petermann were thrown to a total of 26 times last season... 26 times... Adams,  Demski, Harris, and Dressler were thrown to 110, 84, 78, and 64 times, respectfully... Thompkins managed 40 targets, half of which came while Dressler was on the 6 game, and Washington 14... I see Woli moving into Dressler slot, targets wise anyway... 

disagree, if Nichols is checking down before other players are completing their routes you can't say they wouldn't have been open... and I'm not sure why you say the responsibility lies with Lapo more so than Nichols, every pass play has a progression, Nichols decides where to throw the ball, not Lapo... I doubt that on every pass play he threw to the primary receiver each time, if so, then yes, it lies more so with Lapo... if you go back to the "mic-ed up" games you hear Nichols reminding players that they are 'hot' on the play call, basically reminding them they are the first in the check down order if he feels he needs to get rid of the ball...

When you have rookies ( imports or Canadians ) in the starting receiving group, they are not going to be the hot route as often as the veterans. Their inexperience is not going to get them open as often or as quickly.

That impacts both the play calling and the QB's choices.

Woli had 1 reception in 2017 as an example.

Simonise and Petermann won't be rookies this season. Neither will Nelson, Washington or Lawler if they make the roster.

I need to look no further than your repeated dissing of Nichols. You have a bone to pic with him and I do not.

BTW: In 2017 Winnipeg had 8 receivers with 20 or more receptions. Not targets, actual receptions.

In 2016 it was 9 receivers with 20 or more receptions.

That doesn't sound like a QB having difficulties spreading the ball around.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:15:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »

When you have rookies ( imports or Canadians ) in the starting receiving group, they are not going to be the hot route as often as the veterans. Their inexperience is not going to get them open as often or as quickly.

Simonise and Petermann won't be rookies this season. Neither will Nelson, Washington or Lawler if they make the roster.

I need to look no further than your repeated dissing of Nichols. You have a bone to pic with him and I do not.

BTW: In 2017 Winnipeg had 8 receivers with 20 or more receptions. Not targets, actual receptions.

Seriously? where did I 'dis' Nichols?  lol...

I was merely disagreeing with your assertion that Lapo decides who gets the ball... Lapo calls the play and within that play there is a designated primary receiver, but who Nichols throws to is a decision made by Nichols, not Lapo... you need to quit being so sensitive, lol...

BTW: in 2017, 62% of all passes were to 4 players, 3 receivers and a running back and of the 3 receivers Darvin missed 4 games and Dressler missed 7...  in 2016, 69% of all passes were to 6 players, 5 receivers and a running back and of the 5 receivers, 4 of them played in 11 or fewer games that year, Darvin only played in 8 games that year...

DM83

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »

God you guys are depressing.
This receiving core is a joke.  Zero to get better.
Geez at this point signing Dressler would be the second biggest signing of the year.  How pathetic is Walters!?

Still not enough.  But when Adams. Goes down by the fifth game  ...time to bring back Hoss humard and suit. Wade up.  There will be zero people to throw to.

Seriously, this won't even be pro football.  This is bad.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »

and using Woli as an example for 2017 is hardly an example of anything as he was only credited as playing in 1 game in 2017...  truth be told, if Streveler hadn't have targeted as much as he did in the first 3 game, where he did scored 3 touchdowns, I doubt that his numbers would have been nearly as impressive in 2018...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »

Geez at this point signing Dressler would be the second biggest signing of the year.  How pathetic is Walters!?

Still not enough.  But when Adams. Goes down by the fifth game  ...time to bring back Hoss humard and suit. Wade up.  There will be zero people to throw to.

lol... I get what you're saying but honestly, we have a solid corp of receivers, it's more related to scheme than receiver talent with the Bombers, which is by design... we were last in the league last year in 20+ yard pass attempts...

our guys catch the ball when thrown to, we're just not a big, explosive play type of offense... I honestly believe that little changes if you bring in one of these 'big time' receivers, especially in this upcoming year as I tend to believe that Nichols will have less time in the pocket this year than he has had in years past...

but we'll be fine as long as ball security goes back up to the levels of prior years, we can't be having those game changing interceptions or too many 2 and outs... 

theaardvark

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »

Seriously, you have no idea if any of the new recruits will be great, or if any of the returning player will improve their game with time under their belts...

Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »

Seriously? where did I 'dis' Nichols?  lol...

I was merely disagreeing with your assertion that Lapo decides who gets the ball... Lapo calls the play and within that play there is a designated primary receiver, but who Nichols throws to is a decision made by Nichols, not Lapo... you need to quit being so sensitive, lol...

BTW: in 2017, 62% of all passes were to 4 players, 3 receivers and a running back and of the 3 receivers Darvin missed 4 games and Dressler missed 7...  in 2016, 69% of all passes were to 6 players, 5 receivers and a running back and of the 5 receivers, 4 of them played in 11 or fewer games that year, Darvin only played in 8 games that year...

You seem to take any opportunity to " blame " Nichols for these kinds of things, " as part of his style ". Ditto about Lapo to a lesser degree. Like I said, if rookie receivers are struggling adapting to the CFL game and not getting open or taking longer, it's going to impact play calling.

Chemistry with the QB takes time and impacts play calling. Woli, 1st year starter. Thompkins 1st year import that did not start the season. Demski, 1st year in Winnipeg.

I'm not the 1st poster to mention this about you and your comments about Nichols or schemes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:37:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »

You seem to take any opportunity to " blame " Nichols for these kinds of things, " as part of his style ". Ditto about Lapo to a lesser degree. Like I said, if rookie receivers are struggling adapting to the CFL game and not getting open or taking longer, it's going to impact play calling.

Chemistry with the QB takes time and impacts play calling. Woli, 1st year starter. Thompkins 1st year import that did not start the season. Demski, 1st year in Winnipeg.

I'm not the 1st poster to mention this about you and your comments about Nichols or schemes.
I agree with you. He clearly prefers Streveler and takes every chance he can to diss Nichols.
Knocker42

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »

I've wondered a lot about his posts with respect to the irrational attitude towards Nichols and all I can suppose is that he is simply trying to disturb the excrement.  So, I just ignore them now.
Doublezero

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »

I agree with you. He clearly prefers Streveler and takes every chance he can to diss Nichols.
I'm a Streveler fan too! Hope we get to see lots of him this year. Another set of wheels out of the backfield adds a dangerous wrinkle to the offense. Depending on how a re-built O-line performs, we may need that.

Just gimme the rock.
Ridermania

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »

Is Streveler a free agent next year?

Thanks.
Doublezero

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »

Thanks.
Yes he is FA at the end of 2019 season. Prob will land on an NFL roster IMHO. Otherwise he would've extended in Winnipeg during this offseason window.

Just gimme the rock.
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »

Yes he is FA at the end of 2019 season. Prob will land on an NFL roster IMHO. Otherwise he would've extended in Winnipeg during this offseason window.

I'm a big Streveler fan as well. I expect we'll see him getting more game time as well. This has nothing to do with Nichols but has everything to do with Streveler bringing didn't attributes to the game.

No, I'm not suggesting a 2 QB system. However there are many advantages to our # 2 QB getting more reps. Overall it makes things more complicated for defenses to prepare. The need to develop and prepare for injury applies to QB's just as it does for other positions.

I don't know whether we'll be able to re-sign Streveler this season or as a potential free agent. I don't believe it's an indication we won't due to not doing it this off season. He might get offers from other CFL teams. He might be our# 1 QB in 2020. No guarantees one way or the other.

I also don't believe he'll necessarily get an NFL invite for showing well.

What I'd say is that he's not a stereotypical NFL type QB.

Keep in mind even Mitchell didn't get an NFL offer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:24:39 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »

I'm a big Streveler fan as well. I expect we'll see him getting more game time as well. This has nothing to do with Nichols but has everything to do with Streveler bringing didn't attributes to the game.

No, I'm not suggesting a 2 QB system. However there are many advantages to our # 2 QB getting more reps. Overall it makes things more complicated for defenses to prepare. The need to develop and prepare for injury applies to QB's just as it does for other positions.

I don't know whether we'll be able to re-sign Streveler this season or as a potential free agent. I don't believe it's an indication we won't due to not doing it this off season. He might get offers from other CFL teams. He might be our# 1 QB in 2020. No guarantees one way or the other.

I also don't believe he'll necessarily get an NFL invite for showing well.

What I'd say is that he's not a stereotypical NFL type QB.

Keep in mind even Mitchell didn't get an NFL offer.

Actually Mitchell had several NFL offers, none that he felt were good enuff tho.

GCn19

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »

Thanks.

Only if we don't re sign him.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »

again, you side step my question as to where was it that I 'dissed' Nichols in my previous post...

and in regards to your chemistry comment, I'm confused as to what your point is... on one hand you use Woli as an example for the 2017 season, now you're saying he's a first year starter, but, the real conundrum is the Demski reference... after all he was the 2nd most targeted Bomber receiver last year, his first year here, so I'm not sure what to make of that...

and just because you're not 'the 1st poster to mention this' doesn't make you any more right than the others... I stand by my Nichols comments and I'm willing to defend any that you feel are untrue... it's kind of like slander law threshold, it's only slander if it's untrue...

and for you and the rest of the gang, maybe you should take a few minutes and refresh yourself with a few of the threads that here last season in regards to Nichols and his on field performance... particularly those comments made by members who love to jump on the 'Chevelle is a hater' bandwagon, it's rather humorous...  at least I'm consistent in my position, lol...  maybe in the future you may consider actually providing narrative as to why I'm wrong instead of resorting to labeling me as a 'hater'... sometimes the truth just hurts... 

for now, you just keep making excuses and I'll keep pointing out the flaws in your post... deal?   Shocked

Pigskin

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 08:26:55 PM »

How many offers did Bo have, and can you name the teams?
Blue In BC

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »

Actually Mitchell had several NFL offers, none that he felt were good enuff tho.

I may have overstated but that's still the point. Few CFL QB's get NFL deals especially those coming off of 1st CFL contracts and having had limited exposure.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »

again, you side step my question as to where was it that I 'dissed' Nichols in my previous post...

and in regards to your chemistry comment, I'm confused as to what your point is... on one hand you use Woli as an example for the 2017 season, now you're saying he's a first year starter, but, the real conundrum is the Demski reference... after all he was the 2nd most targeted Bomber receiver last year, his first year here, so I'm not sure what to make of that...

and just because you're not 'the 1st poster to mention this' doesn't make you any more right than the others... I stand by my Nichols comments and I'm willing to defend any that you feel are untrue... it's kind of like slander law threshold, it's only slander if it's untrue...

and for you and the rest of the gang, maybe you should take a few minutes and refresh yourself with a few of the threads that here last season in regards to Nichols and his on field performance... particularly those comments made by members who love to jump on the 'Chevelle is a hater' bandwagon, it's rather humorous...  at least I'm consistent in my position, lol...  maybe in the future you may consider actually providing narrative as to why I'm wrong instead of resorting to labeling me as a 'hater'... sometimes the truth just hurts... 

for now, you just keep making excuses and I'll keep pointing out the flaws in your post... deal?   Shocked 

I'm not sidestepping anything. Feel free to point out my flaws all you want.

I'm not going to bother looking up your 2018 or off season posts. It's there and we all know it. Other posters have just chimed in agreeing with me.

Regarding our receivers. Different receivers take longer to develop and get opportunities ( Woli ). Other receivers ( Demski ) had CFL experience and was used more similarly to Harris. That was both part of our strategy and applicable to his skill set. He's not the player we're going to expect to be the deep target most of the time.

None of this is that complicated to figure out.

If we had signed Derel Walker I doubt we'd have been throwing him 4 yard passes all game. Winnipeg hasn't had that type of receiver for quite awhile.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:01:49 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »

as I've stated numerous times here, I have no issue with our receiving corp... but do you actually believe that if we signed Derrel Walker that we are going to all of sudden change the entire offense? Darvin Adams was mentioned as one of the most under valued player by his peers in an article in 2017... Darvins numbers may not be as impressive as other more highly touted receivers but it has more to do with 'opportunity' than it does talent...  as stated multiple times on this forum, long ball play for the Bombers is 'not who we are'...

When you look at Darvin's production over the last few seasons it's hard to understand why we don't appreciate him more than we do... he was a 1,000 yard receiver in each of the last 2 seasons, was on track to do so in '16 as well but missed 10 games, and over 800 yards in '15 and has consistently been in the top 10, last year in the top 4, in the league in TDs scored... all the while playing for a team that is last in the league in 20+ yard attempts... I'm not sure what else we could expect from him...

we're a 'ball security, low risk throw' team, signing 1 player won't change that... again, it's been said many times here, players must fit the system, not the other way around...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:00:59 PM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

pjrocksmb

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »

Nichols will be our #1 QB / Adams our #1 receiver and that combo is pretty darn good.

Strev will continue to develop the right way, low and slow like good slow cooked ribs.

TBURGESS

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 10:03:14 PM »

I think Streveler is the best QB we have, but I don't see him getting more reps than he did last year unless Nichols is injured. MOS and PLAP will play the starter as much as possible. I don't see him getting an NFL look after this year either.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
GCn19

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2019, 10:06:46 PM »

I think Streveler is the best QB we have, but I don't see him getting more reps than he did last year unless Nichols is injured. MOS and PLAP will play the starter as much as possible. I don't see him getting an NFL look after this year either.

If Nichols struggles we may see Streveler. If he doesn't and stays healthy we won't see him much other than sktuationally or mop up.

pjrocksmb

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2019, 10:16:10 PM »

Most potential yes, best, no.  I don't see him going to NFL unless lights it up for a couple years.  Even then, long shot for sure.  Agree with rest.

Blue In BC

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »

as I've stated numerous times here, I have no issue with our receiving corp... but do you actually believe that if we signed Derrel Walker that we are going to all of sudden change the entire offense? Darvin Adams was mentioned as one of the most under valued player by his peers in an article in 2017... Darvins numbers may not be as impressive as other more highly touted receivers but it has more to do with 'opportunity' than it does talent...  as stated multiple times on this forum, long ball play for the Bombers is 'not who we are'...

When you look at Darvin's production over the last few seasons it's hard to understand why we don't appreciate him more than we do... he was a 1,000 yard receiver in each of the last 2 seasons, was on track to do so in '16 as well but missed 10 games, and over 800 yards in '15 and has consistently been in the top 10, last year in the top 4, in the league in TDs scored... all the while playing for a team that is last in the league in 20+ yard attempts... I'm not sure what else we could expect from him...

we're a 'ball security, low risk throw' team, signing 1 player won't change that... again, it's been said many times here, players must fit the system, not the other way around...

Yes.

If we signed Derel Walker there would be changes to the game planning and strategy. If you have 1 deep ball receiver you do some things,  but add a 2nd and / or a 3rd it's going to change the strategy. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2019, 10:34:37 PM »

If Nichols struggles we may see Streveler. If he doesn't and stays healthy we won't see him much other than sktuationally or mop up.

The Bombers may need to think about 2020 during the season. In that sense I can see why they'd look to get Streveler more game time even when Nichols is not struggling. Of course game situations go a long way to dictate what an offense does or doesn't do.

Hopefully we often get big leads and he sees the field. O'Shea / Lapo need to get back ups at many positions opportunities when practical.

It's hard in close games but there always situations both good and bad where others should see the field more often.

No more excuses.
swansong

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2019, 12:48:23 AM »

Fascinating. I had no idea it was Chevy's fault that Nichols is a pocket passer who can't scramble or run or throw a consistent deep ball.

Darn you, Chevy. Maybe if you never mention it again it will cease to be true. Ever thought of that? Hmmm?

It's probably also your fault he abdicates responsibility for his poor performances. You're killing us, man.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2019, 01:10:54 AM »

Yes.

If we signed Derel Walker there would be changes to the game planning and strategy. If you have 1 deep ball receiver you do some things,  but add a 2nd and / or a 3rd it's going to change the strategy. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

I wouldn't call it absurd because if you consider that today we have 4 receivers other than Adams, (Simonise, Petermann, Thompkins, and Washington), that have 4.5 speed and 2 that are 6'4"... although they may not have that Derel Walker pedigree, yet anyway, they all have enough talent that defenses would have to respect them and could help create space for Adams...

and you have to wonder how serious Walters is about adding another import receiver when you hear him say they may start 3 national receivers this year...

hopefully, before we spend a lot of money on a new receiver and the fact that there really isn't anyone out there to be excited about that is available, they give these guys a shot, especially Simonise as he checks 2 boxes and since we already have them it's not like we'd be losing anything... plus I honestly think that they have the talent to pull it off...

but more to your point, I really don't think there would be a significant scheme change regardless of who we may sign, and for many reasons... if you look at it from Lapo's point of view why would he want to change it up? Nichols is obviously more comfortable and effective in the shorter game as it plays to his strengths, we've lead the league in scoring in the last 2 years, and 20+ yard tosses are generally lower percentage throws, regardless of receiver or QB.  Secondly, you bring in a new #1, what does that do to Adams, from a confidence stand point if nothing else, and does the new guy just take Adams targets which results in a net zero gain at the end of the day... given the upcoming changes to the o line I'm not sure if Nichols will have as much time in the pocket as he's had in years past... and lastly, I think Nichols does a better job when he gets in that rhythm when things are working, i.e. when he's completing most of his passes and he keeps them moving down the field... I know that would seem obvious, but the short game is his bread and butter and when he gets on a roll he does a great job at it... but it seems that when we do try to stretch the field more, if he doesn't get off to a good start with it, it effects the other part of his game as well, like he starts pressing or forcing throws... it becomes more of a mental thing for him...

but we don't know until it happens so it's speculation on both of or part's, but that's what makes it interesting and fun...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2019, 01:13:13 AM »

Fascinating. I had no idea it was Chevy's fault that Nichols is a pocket passer who can't scramble or run or throw a consistent deep ball.

Darn you, Chevy. Maybe if you never mention it again it will cease to be true. Ever thought of that? Hmmm?

It's probably also your fault he abdicates responsibility for his poor performances. You're killing us, man.

you're killing me, man, lol... but for you, I'll try to keep from screwing it up moving forward...  Wink

GCn19

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »

I wouldn't call it absurd because if you consider that today we have 4 receivers other than Adams, (Simonise, Petermann, Thompkins, and Washington), that have 4.5 speed and 2 that are 6'4"... although they may not have that Derel Walker pedigree, yet anyway, they all have enough talent that defenses would have to respect them and could help create space for Adams...

and you have to wonder how serious Walters is about adding another import receiver when you hear him say they may start 3 national receivers this year...

hopefully, before we spend a lot of money on a new receiver and the fact that there really isn't anyone out there to be excited about that is available, they give these guys a shot, especially Simonise as he checks 2 boxes and since we already have them it's not like we'd be losing anything... plus I honestly think that they have the talent to pull it off...

but more to your point, I really don't think there would be a significant scheme change regardless of who we may sign, and for many reasons... if you look at it from Lapo's point of view why would he want to change it up? Nichols is obviously more comfortable and effective in the shorter game as it plays to his strengths, we've lead the league in scoring in the last 2 years, and 20+ yard tosses are generally lower percentage throws, regardless of receiver or QB.  Secondly, you bring in a new #1, what does that do to Adams, from a confidence stand point if nothing else, and does the new guy just take Adams targets which results in a net zero gain at the end of the day... given the upcoming changes to the o line I'm not sure if Nichols will have as much time in the pocket as he's had in years past... and lastly, I think Nichols does a better job when he gets in that rhythm when things are working, i.e. when he's completing most of his passes and he keeps them moving down the field... I know that would seem obvious, but the short game is his bread and butter and when he gets on a roll he does a great job at it... but it seems that when we do try to stretch the field more, if he doesn't get off to a good start with it, it effects the other part of his game as well, like he starts pressing or forcing throws... it becomes more of a mental thing for him...

but we don't know until it happens so it's speculation on both of or part's, but that's what makes it interesting and fun...

Game plans would change if necessary. Lapo will always be a dink and dunk possession first coach, but, if we are trailing he would open up his game plan if he had the necessary tools in his toolbox.

Imo, Nichols would be foolish if he isn't preparing for this season like it's a contract year. Surely, he must know that Streveler is nipping at his heels and that the Bombers have to make a decision this year on Strev's future with the club. A decision on Strev's future is pretty much a decision on his future. If Nichols wants his contract to extend beyond this year then he needs to have a better season than last year. I am hoping this will bring the best out in him.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:25:59 AM by GCn18 » Logged

booch

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »

I'm fine with the receievers as well, and hope as do many that this camp uncovers a game breaker...but like Chevy said, and I have in past, our receivers get what they get based on our scheme and our route tree we use, which at times, well most times is predicated on players in a static spot on the field and as release valves and security and to aid in clogging up tacklers for the short  game we seem to prefer...Adams can and has been a deep threat, and if he was used like Duke Williams..Walker..Rogers would put up the eye popping numbers but thats not who we are...or have been

Numbers arise out off opportunities and what you are running in your routes...Adams generally makes all his catches, a majority of which are hooks and moderate range outs..5-6 times a game...guys like Williams..Walker..Ellingson etc...may make the long gainer in games, but if you watch a lot of games they are missed on 3..4..5 of the attempts too..with drives dying in the process.

If we used a guy like C. Washington or Simonese on the edge..tossed them 3 or 4 Adams type plays a game and also mixed in 5 or 6 field stretchers...I can guarantee you they would have big fat numbers...but would it result in our offence racking up the top scoring numbers in the league like the last 2 years...nope..
Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

You said it. They don't yet have the pedigree of Walker yet.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »

Game plans would change if necessary. Lapo will always be a dink and dunk possession first coach, but, if we are trailing he would open up his game plan if he had the necessary tools in his toolbox.

Imo, Nichols would be foolish if he isn't preparing for this season like it's a contract year. Surely, he must know that Streveler is nipping at his heels and that the Bombers have to make a decision this year on Strev's future with the club. A decision on Strev's future is pretty much a decision on his future. If Nichols wants his contract to extend beyond this year then he needs to have a better season than last year. I am hoping this will bring the best out in him.

but, that's not an offensive scheme, that's a situational in-game adjustment to the scheme...

You said it. They don't yet have the pedigree of Walker yet.

but how do you think the Derrel Walkers of the league got those pedigrees?   it wasn't by running a hand full of 5 yard outs over the course of a season...

Blue In BC

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »

but, that's not an offensive scheme, that's a situational in-game adjustment to the scheme...

but how do you think the Derrel Walkers of the league got those pedigrees?   it wasn't by running a hand full of 5 yard outs over the course of a season...

That's only partially true. A receiver that can get open, juke a DB out of his jock on his every play, break tackles, has speed, shield the ball away from the DB, receive the ball at the high point doesn't always need to catch a deep ball to accumulate YAC. Receivers whether big or small can be very difficult to bring down while others get knocked down or caught immediately.

You have to be able to show those skills in games to get more opportunities for any type of reception let alone deeper receptions.

It helps if your OL can provide longer protection and if your QB has more than average mobility.

No more excuses.
Blue72

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »

The problem with our team is:

- The HC is to stubborn to play his backups when the starters are having trouble or when the game is won or lost already
- The DC needs a full squad of IMP players to make him look good which hurts the offense
- The HC is worried to hurt his QBs feelings to pull him when Nichols is having problems in the game
- The OC either likes sure plays to move the ball or doesn't have enough trust in his QB compared to Streveler ( more open game, running and more then 5 yard throws)
- The QB takes to much time to get rid of the ball so he goes to his short game more often to make himself look good or like the playoffs and throws it out of bounds
- If Harris ever went down you would see Nichols in a lot of trouble because he counts on his RB a LOT, running and "short" passes
- Streveler had problems last year as a rookie but needs more playing time especially having a good arm and being mobile but will he get it under these coaches?
- They count on Harris way to much and how much more of a beating could one guy take especially at his age
- It takes this team almost a quarter to get into a game either they are not prepare properly or slow starters

I love my team but until some of these things are looked into it will be hard to make the next step into the playoffs. We have a great team on paper now the coaches have to make some miner adjustments to take us to the next level.
Blue In BC

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »

The problem with our team is:

- The HC is to stubborn to play his backups when the starters are having trouble or when the game is won or lost already
- The DC needs a full squad of IMP players to make him look good which hurts the offense
- The HC is worried to hurt his QBs feelings to pull him when Nichols is having problems in the game
- The OC either likes sure plays to move the ball or doesn't have enough trust in his QB compared to Streveler ( more open game, running and more then 5 yard throws)
- The QB takes to much time to get rid of the ball so he goes to his short game more often to make himself look good or like the playoffs and throws it out of bounds
- If Harris ever went down you would see Nichols in a lot of trouble because he counts on his RB a LOT, running and "short" passes
- Streveler had problems last year as a rookie but needs more playing time especially having a good arm and being mobile but will he get it under these coaches?
- They count on Harris way to much and how much more of a beating could one guy take especially at his age
- It takes this team almost a quarter to get into a game either they are not prepare properly or slow starters

I love my team but until some of these things are looked into it will be hard to make the next step into the playoffs. We have a great team on paper now the coaches have to make some miner adjustments to take us to the next level.

Everything you said is true or close to true. However a ball control offense is not the worst situation. Quick strike teams often can't maintain ball control when necessary to preserve the win.

If the offense goes out in the 1st Q and throws TD's on the 1st play of their 1st two series and then can't stay on the field in the 2nd half? Defense tires out in the 2nd half due to lack of long time consuming drives by the offense.

There are trade offs but we were at the top of scoring in 2018. Sure I'd like more long plays but I'm happy with 20 5 yard plays on a long scoring drive too.

Teams often adjust to young QB's in the 2nd season. They tend to take away their scrambling lanes and make them throw more from the pocket.

That happened to Jennings in Vancouver. He was less successful when he had to read defenses and drive the field rather than buy time during scrambling waiting for receivers to get open.

That may not happen with Streveler. 1st of all he's a stronger more physical runner than Jennings IMO. OTOH I'm not sure how quickly he's learning to make all his reads and how accurate / strong his passing game will become. If the starter is injured he may not be allowed to scramble as much. We saw that caution Lapo took when Nichols was hurt to start the year.

He missed some really open receivers as well with under or over throwing at times. 1st year inexperience perhaps.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »

That's only partially true. A receiver that can get open, juke a DB out of his jock on his every play, break tackles, has speed, shield the ball away from the DB, receive the ball at the high point doesn't always need to catch a deep ball to accumulate YAC. Receivers whether big or small can be very difficult to bring down while others get knocked down or caught immediately.

You have to be able to show those skills in games to get more opportunities for any type of reception let alone deeper receptions.

It helps if your OL can provide longer protection and if your QB has more than average mobility.

but that's not the conversation we were having... we were talking about signing another 'big name' receiver to help Darvin out... unless you're sending another receiver deep with Darvin, or the new guy, it doesn't matter as Darvin/new guy will still be in a double coverage type of scenario... you have to send 2 deep to make them have to make a choice otherwise your safety just plays over the top until he sees where the play is going...

but more over, why keep going out and bringing in these guys with sub 4.5 speed and height and then play them in the box... you know as well as I that these tall speedy receiver are usually not very, or as physical as the typical possession type receiver... it hurts even more when you are asking them to run these stop routes and come backs, that's not what they're good at...

when you watch these type of guys play you don't always need as much time in the pocket as one might think... if you have these 4.4 or 4.3 guys you can just throw the ball to the open spot and have these guys out run their defender while running under the ball... now before you go all crazy on me, lol, I'm not talking about sandlot type of ball... you read all of time in draft profiles about a receivers ability to 'adjust to the ball'... not to mention, these speedy guys help QBs that have issues at times with long throw accuracy, one helps the other and vice versa...

you watch Calgary and Edmonton, they use their receivers to create these one on one scenarios and look for their guys to beat their defender deep or if they are playing off too far break the route off... just one of the reasons why their receivers seems to always be wide open... when they call the play in the huddle the QB or the receiver doesn't know exactly what route they are running until they get to the line of scrimmage and based on whether the D lines up in man or zone the routes can change, no audible, by design... 

but I do agree with what you said about those 20 play, 5 yard per play drives... I'd take those all day long and every game if you can consistently pull it off... you keep their offense off the field and allows your defense to stay fresh all game long... however, when you're in that rut and have 9 two and outs in a game it isn't going to be pretty...

Blue In BC

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »

but that's not the conversation we were having... we were talking about signing another 'big name' receiver to help Darvin out... unless you're sending another receiver deep with Darvin, or the new guy, it doesn't matter as Darvin/new guy will still be in a double coverage type of scenario... you have to send 2 deep to make them have to make a choice otherwise your safety just plays over the top until he sees where the play is going...

but more over, why keep going out and bringing in these guys with sub 4.5 speed and height and then play them in the box... you know as well as I that these tall speedy receiver are usually not very, or as physical as the typical possession type receiver... it hurts even more when you are asking them to run these stop routes and come backs, that's not what they're good at...

when you watch these type of guys play you don't always need as much time in the pocket as one might think... if you have these 4.4 or 4.3 guys you can just throw the ball to the open spot and have these guys out run their defender while running under the ball... now before you go all crazy on me, lol, I'm not talking about sandlot type of ball... you read all of time in draft profiles about a receivers ability to 'adjust to the ball'... not to mention, these speedy guys help QBs that have issues at times with long throw accuracy, one helps the other and vice versa...

you watch Calgary and Edmonton, they use their receivers to create these one on one scenarios and look for their guys to beat their defender deep or if they are playing off too far break the route off... just one of the reasons why their receivers seems to always be wide open... when they call the play in the huddle the QB or the receiver doesn't know exactly what route they are running until they get to the line of scrimmage and based on whether the D lines up in man or zone the routes can change, no audible, by design... 

but I do agree with what you said about those 20 play, 5 yard per play drives... I'd take those all day long and every game if you can consistently pull it off... you keep their offense off the field and allows your defense to stay fresh all game long... however, when you're in that rut and have 9 two and outs in a game it isn't going to be pretty...

The better each receiver is, the more options you have. If you know a receiver can shake and bake, go deep then defenses have to decide who to double cover and when. It frees up space for every other receiver.

Speed is good but we've seen slower receivers with better skills get open. I mentioned a bunch of important possible skills to that end.

We've seen some fast / tall Bomber receivers. None of them looked like Walker or any number of top receivers around the CFL. For that matter he could be a 5'7" ( B. Banks ) type that can turn a 5 yard pass into a TD.

If we found or find THAT guy in TC it will change the play calling IMO.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »

thats where our offence needs the tweek....you need to utilize the type of receiver like that who are termed QB augmenters too allow the QB to throw them open...use that speed and shiftyness to have the receiver run to the ball...not sit down and wait for it...much like 75 percent of our routes are game in and game out..

Use these guys to move out defenders for the layered crossing routes or just a deep fly down the rail, or post...when's the last time we seen two guys go deep and have motion out of back field to clear things out to hit an intermediate crossing play in stride for gobs of yards and only one db to beat , daree i say...rarely and close to never???
blue girl

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »

If we were to sign a deep threat receiver I see no reason why our offence couldn't change. As for the possibility of starting 3 Canadian receivers that will depend on whether they start 3 Canadian OL or a Canadian DL. That will be decided during TC.
Blue In BC

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »

Walters said it was an off season priority to upgrade our receiving corps. That suggests a willingness / need to modify our play calling to some extent by adding a different type of weapon.

The 20 play @ 5 yards ( exaggeration ) a shot is not the best style when you want to come from behind late in games.

We need to be able to open it up more when we want to etc.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »

Walters said it was an off season priority to upgrade our receiving corps. That suggests a willingness / need to modify our play calling to some extent by adding a different type of weapon.

The 20 play @ 5 yards ( exaggeration ) a shot is not the best style when you want to come from behind late in games.

We need to be able to open it up more when we want to etc.

20 plays at 5 yds per is not a great way to come back from behind, but a great way to get out in front and wear down the opposing D...

Blue In BC

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2019, 10:08:47 PM »

20 plays at 5 yds per is not a great way to come back from behind, but a great way to get out in front and wear down the opposing D...

Also true. Just thinking that we can tweak our ability to be able to be a quick strike offense. When you can do that it also opens up the run game and short pass game. It works hand in hand.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: