Blue Bombers Forum
September 20, 2019, 05:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Solomon Elimimian released...and signed with the riders...  (Read 8062 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »

O'Day would have had to give something up to trade for Sol and he'd have to take on Sol's BC contract, so no... I don't think he'd have paid the same or less in a trade.

Could have been had for a 7th rounder, a neg lister, a case of Gatorade... like I said it will be interesting to hear what his deal is, whether it was more or less than his BC deal, which he had negotiated down last year...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »

Could have been had for a 7th rounder, a neg lister, a case of Gatorade... like I said it will be interesting to hear what his deal is, whether it was more or less than his BC deal, which he had negotiated down last year...

That would have meant taking on the balance of his contract including possible signing bonus etc. Allowing to re-negotiate length and amount of contract as a free agent is a no brainer than even giving up a 7th rounder.

While it would have guaranteed getting him as a more expensive free agent, not every other team would have interest or SMS to allow that to happen.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »

That would have meant taking on the balance of his contract including possible signing bonus etc. Allowing to re-negotiate length and amount of contract as a free agent is a no brainer than even giving up a 7th rounder.

While it would have guaranteed getting him as a more expensive free agent, not every other team would have interest or SMS to allow that to happen.

Since when has Sask worried about sms?
theaardvark

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2019, 06:36:33 PM »

Depending on what he eventually signed for, though, it might have been more than what he was making on his renegotiated deal in BC... but whatevs...

So, is this the end of Hurl?  Or is he still valuable enough on teams?  They were paying him starter money, right?  Does he get cut in favour of Solly, and then let the Judge boys handle teams / backup MLB?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 06:43:14 PM »

Depending on what he eventually signed for, though, it might have been more than what he was making on his renegotiated deal in BC... but whatevs...

So, is this the end of Hurl?  Or is he still valuable enough on teams?  They were paying him starter money, right?  Does he get cut in favour of Solly, and then let the Judge boys handle teams / backup MLB?

Definitely the end of Hurl considering he wasn't re-signed by them and has been a FA since February. Also, there is zero chance that Solly is getting more now than before.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »

Definitely the end of Hurl considering he wasn't re-signed by them and has been a FA since February. Also, there is zero chance that Solly is getting more now than before.

I agree that Solly isn't getting more than before. Hurl re-upped in February though. https://globalnews.ca/news/4948512/saskatchewan-roughriders-sign-canadian-linebacker-sam-hurl-to-1-year-extension/
blue_or_die

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »

I agree that Solly isn't getting more than before. Hurl re-upped in February though. https://globalnews.ca/news/4948512/saskatchewan-roughriders-sign-canadian-linebacker-sam-hurl-to-1-year-extension/

He will "do exactly what is asked of him"!  Wink
booch

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »

fact of the matter...Soli won't help that team at all on the offensive side of the which is where they need help...they had a good defense last year and couldn't make it happen and I doubt it's as good this year..in their minds they might be but the losses far outweigh what they replaced things with, not to mention losing Jones.

theaardvark

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »

He will "do exactly what is asked of him"!  Wink

But can they afford to pay a NAT MLB that was scheduled to start for them when they have signed a much more expensive Int MLB?  I guess it depends on if there is an SMS savings to cutting him, if he was smart and got up front money, it may be cheaper to keep him...  if he doesn't get paid until the season opens, or TC starts, then I'm guessing Solly makes him redundant.

Not happy he landed in the west, but it will make an interesting LDC / BB situation with team 100 on opposite sides of the ball...

blue_or_die

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »

But can they afford to pay a NAT MLB that was scheduled to start for them when they have signed a much more expensive Int MLB?  I guess it depends on if there is an SMS savings to cutting him, if he was smart and got up front money, it may be cheaper to keep him...  if he doesn't get paid until the season opens, or TC starts, then I'm guessing Solly makes him redundant.

Not happy he landed in the west, but it will make an interesting LDC / BB situation with team 100 on opposite sides of the ball...

I'm no expert on the Riders' situation and can't be bothered to lurk on RF, but as I understood it (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong), their plan was Nat at MLB, with Judge the starter and Hurl the backup.

If that's true, then it naturally follows Hurl is redundant as an MLB but I suspect his cap hit is friendly, and he is also very useful on STs, so keeping him as third on the DC is not a bad idea.

However, the issue of how the Solly signing impact their ratio -if their plan was to go Nat @ MLB- is an interesting question. Judge was probably one of their better Nats in a not-so-great group. Can he start at WIL?
Blue In BC

« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »

Just a guess but Hurl may be a casualty resulting from SMS trickle down. Riders also drafted a LB this year to that may ply into it as well.

We probably won't hear details on his new deal but it's reasonable to assume a reduction. Might include some performance clause that might get him more than his new base if things go well.

No more excuses.
SSC

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2019, 08:09:29 PM »

July 20th B.C. at Sask. I'm going to watch that one.
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2019, 08:26:59 PM »

The Riders starting linebacking will probably end up being

WLB-Judge
MLB- Eliminian
SLB- Moncrief

Judge will probably be a better WLB, then MLB because of his speed and coverage ability.
theaardvark

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »

Just a guess but Hurl may be a casualty resulting from SMS trickle down. Riders also drafted a LB this year to that may ply into it as well.

We probably won't hear details on his new deal but it's reasonable to assume a reduction. Might include some performance clause that might get him more than his new base if things go well.

Solly did take a discount last year from his MODP year salary...   so I'm not sure if his salary in BC was that high...  or why he would sign for a discount if he had multiple teams interested in his services...its not like BC cutting him meant he has any less value.

Blue In BC

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »

Solly did take a discount last year from his MODP year salary...   so I'm not sure if his salary in BC was that high...  or why he would sign for a discount if he had multiple teams interested in his services...its not like BC cutting him meant he has any less value.

Timing of finding a new team after big SMS spent in February. If his salary wasn't that high chances are he'd still be in BC. High is a relative term.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: