Blue Bombers Forum
September 20, 2019, 05:29:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Solomon Elimimian released...and signed with the riders...  (Read 8057 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »

I'd pass on him. You only want to spend so much money on the linebacker position. If we have Solly level money available, we're better off saving it for an American receiver in an NFL camp.

That's only true if we end up getting that American receiver in an NFL camp later in the year.

You're point about the total spend on LB's is valid but it comes down to our SMS projections and  what the new SMS turns out to be.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »

That's only true if we end up getting that American receiver in an NFL camp later in the year.

You're point about the total spend on LB's is valid but it comes down to our SMS projections and  what the new SMS turns out to be.

Ya true. All unknowns at this point. I think regardless the money is better saved and put towards another position (I'm sure some NFL cut will help us down the stretch) or even contract extensions at the end of the year. If Solly hadn't become available, no one would be advocating we look for another high priced MLB type. It just isn't a need.
GCn19

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »

Ya true. All unknowns at this point. I think regardless the money is better saved and put towards another position (I'm sure some NFL cut will help us down the stretch) or even contract extensions at the end of the year. If Solly hadn't become available, no one would be advocating we look for another high priced MLB type. It just isn't a need.

I agree. Keep the money, if no one of interest shakes loose use it to give some of our key veterans early extensions.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »

There may be other players at other positions that become available either from CFL training camps or returning from the NFL. I doubt we've seen all of the trimming of SMS from every team.

Honestly I can't think of any position more important than receiver where that might happen.

Using remaining SMS to extend players is also an excellent use. Where to draw a line on how much is too much at the end of the season ( or even during the season ), versus improvement in the 2019 roster will always be subjective.

I wouldn't mind seeing Woli get an extension to lock him up on a new 3 year deal.

Of course going into TC the hope is always that we find some real young new talent at receiver. Or that one of the holdovers from 2018 take a big step forward.

I'm liking some of the candidates but things can change quickly in TC. Getting hurt / nicked early has cost opportunities in the past for many players.

The best receivers started on ELC contracts and were unknowns at the beginning.

OTOH I wouldn't be upset if we sign Solly either. It's not the biggest need and hindsight will generate criticism one way or the other depending on how things go.

Realistically I think there will be more money for him elsewhere that excludes him in Winnipeg.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »

I can't see anyone signing Solly or any FA until the CBA is settled.  Both sides need to know what the playing field looks like...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »

I can't see anyone signing Solly or any FA until the CBA is settled.  Both sides need to know what the playing field looks like...

Lots of free agents signed without knowing what the new CBA would look like. Nothing has changed. Teams will add talent where it fits financially and a need they have.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »

Lots of free agents signed without knowing what the new CBA would look like. Nothing has changed. Teams will add talent where it fits financially and a need they have.

One thing I heard in the last few days (can't recall exactly where) was that any changes to the ratio rules will not be implemented instantaneously but will go through a transition period to allow teams to adjust.  I imagine it will be the same with monetary matters, they can't spring changes on GM's without giving fair and reasonable notice.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »

One thing I heard in the last few days (can't recall exactly where) was that any changes to the ratio rules will not be implemented instantaneously but will go through a transition period to allow teams to adjust.  I imagine it will be the same with monetary matters, they can't spring changes on GM's without giving fair and reasonable notice.

Ambroise said so in his opening statements at the draft. Any changes to the ratio would be phased in over time (he didn't confirm there would be changes, only that if there were they won't be instant). Leads me to believe that we'd likely see a 7, 6, 6, 5 or something. Just totally guessing on the details obviously, but some structure like that.
theaardvark

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »

Have any signed since "the strike vote"?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »

The strike vote occurred on April 25. 47 players have been added to rosters since then according to https://www.cfl.ca/transactions/. So, yes.
Blue In BC

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 08:42:01 PM »

Ambroise said so in his opening statements at the draft. Any changes to the ratio would be phased in over time (he didn't confirm there would be changes, only that if there were they won't be instant). Leads me to believe that we'd likely see a 7, 6, 6, 5 or something. Just totally guessing on the details obviously, but some structure like that.

I'll believe it when I see it. Ambroise wouldn't admit to exactly what was discussed. Reducing the ratio immediately wouldn't be difficult for teams to adjust IMO.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »

About 80 veteran players changed teams in free agency with the knowledge that the CBA was expiring. I don't see the strike vote or lack of a new CBA hampering players wanting to get a contact.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2019, 09:45:29 PM »

The strike vote occurred on April 25. 47 players have been added to rosters since then according to https://www.cfl.ca/transactions/. So, yes.

Any name free agents in that mix?  Of course there are going to be neg listers, rookies and recruits on ELC's that have no options.  But a guy like Solly has options, and to max his proition, the SMS and other issues need to be defined...

Blue In BC

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2019, 10:11:00 PM »

Any name free agents in that mix?  Of course there are going to be neg listers, rookies and recruits on ELC's that have no options.  But a guy like Solly has options, and to max his proition, the SMS and other issues need to be defined...

All the name free agents signed in February. Solly got released in the last few days. He has the same options as a rookie. There are 8 other teams he might get offers from in the CFL. Not all of them will be interested due to his potentially salary level.

His options might only be 2 or 3 teams so it's not rocket science. $180K is greater than $150K. See how easy that was?

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »

David William Naylor

@TSNDaveNaylor

Hearing that @SolomonE56 is down to two teams with the @sskroughriders believed to be the front-runner. The @Ticats have also had interest. #CFL #Riders #ticats

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: