Blue Bombers Forum
October 20, 2019, 09:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Solomon Elimimian released...and signed with the riders...  (Read 8586 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: April 27, 2019, 12:07:51 AM »

From Dave Naylor:

Hearing the @BCLions have told @SolomonE56 he will be released. Took a pay cut before last season to sign a two-year deal. Priority was to stay in B.C. #Lions
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:50:17 PM by The Zipp » Logged
Bombers9256

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:19:32 AM »

Our new WIL?

#fortheW
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:00:03 AM »

I don't think we can afford him even with another pay cut. That said, give his agent a call? Can't deny he'd be an upgrade although not a necessity.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 03:08:37 AM »

I was saying "hard pass" on Solly when they were fishing for trades.  However, as a FA, if he is willing to work for under $175k, I would bite and reunite team 100 (or is it team 60 now?).  Just think of our D with Solly at WIL?!?!  Wow.

However, this assumes I'm wrong and we don't find a big $$ WR before labor day.  Money priority has to be WR, only if that is a bust do we think Solly.

Maybe we can win a GC with just a monster D and a "pretty good" O.  I just watched the '90 GC that ESPNC played a while back and that win was 100% all D.  West and Battle won that game for us.
blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:21:21 AM »

But BC thought they were going to get something in return! What?s this, other teams can just wait for the players? imminent release and not give up assets? Colour me shocked! This is unprecedented in the CFL  Shocked
buckzumhoff

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »

BC can't afford him they paid Reilly and a few other players.  Bombers can afford him .We need a linebacker.
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »

I was saying "hard pass" on Solly when they were fishing for trades.  However, as a FA, if he is willing to work for under $175k, I would bite and reunite team 100 (or is it team 60 now?).  Just think of our D with Solly at WIL?!?!  Wow.

However, this assumes I'm wrong and we don't find a big $$ WR before labor day.  Money priority has to be WR, only if that is a bust do we think Solly.

Maybe we can win a GC with just a monster D and a "pretty good" O.  I just watched the '90 GC that ESPNC played a while back and that win was 100% all D.  West and Battle won that game for us.

We weren't prepared to pay JSK $140K. That's a lot for a WIL. I'm not sure what a perceived cap might be for the position even for Solly. Don't really know how much he made or how much he'd want.

I would say $175K is too much even for him IMO. That said he'd be a strong WIL and a great back up at MLB if injuries occur. He'd also be more flexible in defensive looks our DC could give oppositions.

It may come down to what other offers he might see across the CFL. I can see why Winnipeg could be of interest to him but unless money offers are close he'll go elsewhere.

As far as saving the money for a rainy day " receiver ", well bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Who's to say one shakes loose or that we didn't find 6 rookies to fit the bill.

Teams choose to react to opportunities when they exist. That may be a choice to look at signing him or a choice to not consider it. We'll see what happens.

I wouldn't rule out he gets released and then is forced to re-negotiate a new deal in Vancouver as his best option and choice.

No more excuses.
VictorRomano

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »

I'm sure he wants a salary commensurate with his experience.  He won't come cheap.  Between spending big dollars on a LB or big dollars on a WR, I think the bigger need is at WR.
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »

I'm sure he wants a salary commensurate with his experience.  He won't come cheap.  Between spending big dollars on a LB or big dollars on a WR, I think the bigger need is at WR.

Of course the WR is probably the bigger need. There is no question about that today.  As I said that big dollar WR might come available in 2 weeks or never this season. Solly will be available in a few days.

I also said who knows what receiver talent we found / will find in TC?

What Elimimian wants and what he'll get to offered is a TBD. May be several teams all asking the same question on how to spend SMS.

I don't know the answer but I'd hope management talks to his agent to see what's up. It's not impossible he chooses to retire than to play for substantially less money.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:24:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blueraid

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »

GO GET HIM.....we would have one heckuva D and defence's win championships
Blue72

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »

Who is or will be our backup MLB is the big question?
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »

Who is or will be our backup MLB is the big question?

Wilson is the only veteran LB per se and he's only played 5 games. So WIL is somewhat open during TC as well as a LB as a DI and one for our PR possibly.

In theory Wilson might also be the back up MLB at the moment.

All of this shows why Solly could be a good addition but SMS talks and one or more of the rookies could be the next JSK.

Wilson is penciled in at WIL but I wouldn't say he couldn't be unseated either.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:06 PM »

My guess is he goes to the Riders or Stamps.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:18:56 PM by TBURGESS » Logged

Being right never gets old.
kkc60

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »

I'm kinda looking forward to the open competition at Wil
Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »

I'm kinda looking forward to the open competition at Wil

Sure but there were only 4 candidates at the recent camp including 1 that didn't yet have a contract ( McBeath )

We had Otha Peters on the roster as an off season signing but he didn't attend the camp. Another curious non attendee.

So at most there were 5 candidates if all are re-signed or signed.

I'm guessing we still end up with a DI and a couple on the PR. That means 3 of a possible 5 make the roster is some form. Who or where is not known. More candidates may still be added / deleted before / during TC.

Now if we do sign Elimimian I'd expect they'd bring a smaller group of LB's to compete. Hard to say but some may be only WIL candidates. Some might be only MLB types and some may be able to play both.

Again, I don't really expect to see Solly sign in Winnipeg but it's still not something that can be ruled out just yet. It will change the TC dynamic if he does since we know he can start and play both positions in multiple defensive looks.

Wilson is the only returning player

No more excuses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: