Blue Bombers Forum
June 01, 2020, 06:54:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini Camp Preview  (Read 2603 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 10:13:25 PM »

Humes was at TC 2018 and around most of the season on the PR. Good chance he's a strong candidate to be around in 2019. Our secondary looks solid with veterans so not exactly sure how this settles out.

The expectation ( by some posters, me incldued ) is for Fenner to start at SAM. So in theory that pushes Gaitor into the secondary being pushed at CB by Humes in the early going. At the moment IMO Rose is expected to be a starter at CB. Gaitor played well in 2018 so his versatility is an asset. He may be a starter or a DI. As I've suggested he might also be the veteran that might get bumped by some younger rookie hotshot. I'm not unhappy with Gaitor but if we find that rookie talent too good to let loose, that's a possibility.

OTOH Lawler was only signed on Oct 18th so he's barely a familiar player from 2018. A marginal jump on the 15 new receivers and other 2018 PR players. Not to say he might not surprise but could just as easily be an early casualty.

I thought Gaitor outperformed Fenner last season and basically stole his job, I could see Fenner being the one on the bubble.
blue_or_die

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »

I thought Gaitor outperformed Fenner last season and basically stole his job, I could see Fenner being the one on the bubble.

Agreed that Gaitor is the incumbent at SAM. But, I think Fenner will start at HB vs a casualty. I don't think we can afford to pay him a starter's salary to be a "ST demon".

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »

Agreed that Gaitor is the incumbent at SAM. But, I think Fenner will start at HB vs a casualty. I don't think we can afford to pay him a starter's salary to be a "ST demon".
We shouldn't. But he took a pay cut and we probably have more cap space now than last year. So we maybe could. But we shouldn't
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »

We shouldn't. But he took a pay cut and we probably have more cap space now than last year. So we maybe could. But we shouldn't

It was suggested that Fenner may have been nursing an injury in 2018 and never 100%. Reports from the beginning of the season commented that Fenner was possibly the best SAM in the CFL.

Make no mistake Gaitor played very well and he may in fact be the incumbent SAM. Honestly I'm not certain one way or the other. Let TC sort that out.

One of them will move into the secondary but do we really want to push Alexander or Sayles out to CB if Fenner/Gaitor move to HB?

Who plays where is a puzzle for me at the moment. Best talent we've had going into TC with the 2018 players returning. Adding Rose looked like a good addition at CB

My expectation is for Humes to push for a starting role at CB. Then there are 15 rookie DB's fighting it out for TC opportunities.

It's going to be interesting to see who is doing what during TC. Lots of talent and flexibility before we even see what the rookies have to offer.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »

It was suggested that Fenner may have been nursing an injury in 2018 and never 100%. Reports from the beginning of the season commented that Fenner was possibly the best SAM in the CFL.

Make no mistake Gaitor played very well and he may in fact be the incumbent SAM. Honestly I'm not certain one way or the other. Let TC sort that out.

One of them will move into the secondary but do we really want to push Alexander or Sayles out to CB if Fenner/Gaitor move to HB?

Who plays where is a puzzle for me at the moment. Best talent we've had going into TC with the 2018 players returning. Adding Rose looked like a good addition at CB

My expectation is for Humes to push for a starting role at CB. Then there are 15 rookie DB's fighting it out for TC opportunities.

It's going to be interesting to see who is doing what during TC. Lots of talent and flexibility before we even see what the rookies have to offer.

My prediction is that Alexander will emerge as our shut down corner, with Sayles and Fenner at HB and Rose as CB. Humes challenging/waiting in the wings or dare I say starting safety if we shift the ratio around?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »

My prediction is that Alexander will emerge as our shut down corner, with Sayles and Fenner at HB and Rose as CB. Humes challenging/waiting in the wings or dare I say starting safety if we shift the ratio around?

I think Alexander is too valuable inside to move outside. HB is more difficult to play than CB IMO. So that's the fly in the ointment with moving him outside. The SB's see more traffic across the middle than the WR's on the longer / wider throws.

That said you might be right that it's what is the best combination. But IMO Rose is the strong side CB.

If the ratio drops then who plays safety is really up in the air. Could be any of incumbents or rookies.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »

So, no news about who might have been added after the mini camp?

EDIT: Still not a peep published? I'm expecting to see a few new players added and some previously added not re-signed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:34:41 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: